Episode 8x19 - 'Spring Breakdown' ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Finch, Apr 10, 2010.

1. ladyjr8

ladyjr8 Police Officer

okay episode-nice to see H shoot a flare gun and not a real gun-he wasnt' in any danger..team work was okay..never got to see promo for next episode as our tv station cut it out ...thanks on youtube!

2. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I somewhat agree, Geni. Although it was a little chuckle-worthy at first when Ryan hung up on Tom (although mostly it was just the expression on Ryan's face when he pushed the button that made me laugh- the reason is that it reminded me of my younger brother when he gets mad at my mother and hangs up on her- he's in his twenties by the way, probably actually around the same age as Ryan lol), but the writers did miss the ball with this one. Ryan is NOT that way. This has been occurring over and over throughout the season. Sometimes I've felt its been done to try and make Jesse look better, but I'm not sure if that was the case in this episode. Jesse really didn't do a whole lot in this ep. He was just sort of there. :lol: He didn't stick out as he normally does when they assinate Ryan's personality in this manner.

Okay, in the earlier ep when Ryan asked nicely about taking the evidence from the body, Tom was a bit snippy with him, which prompted Ryan's snarky sarcasm, which prompted Tom to be snarky in reply. :lol: But this time... You know it's really bad and that Ryan's written seriously out of character when I of all people almost want to smack him. :lol: Doesn't mean I don't still love him though. :) But then after thinking that for half a second, I thought "nah, it's the writers' fault". But I hate that the writers made me feel that way even for a split second. So I'm definitely angry with them. I won't take it out on Ryan. :lol:

And I agree that this interaction seemed forced by the writers. It's like Eric/Ryan 2.0. :lol: Another reason why it's out of character for Ryan. He's acting toward Tom the way basically that Eric acted toward him when he was new. Ryan wouldn't do that cause he knows how it feels... therefore, he's out of character. Period.

3. ruby&theheadmen

ruby&theheadmen Lab Technician

Glad to be back after a well deserved break from Miami. This theme of "abused fat female" becomes a murderer is way overdone- I remember from over 30 plus years ago an ABC TV Movie of the Week, where this same theme was done as black (or dark) humour. In that story, what stood out for me was that the murderess tricked the former college cheerleader into doing back flips (in order to see if she still could do it) and somehow, got her to back flip unknowingly right off of the balcony of her high rise apartment room (very dark humour indeed!). Also, see Horatio in all black all of the time is getting tired- he's NOT Batman, y know!

I was left wishing that the writers would come up with more original and complicated story lines like in Law and Order SVU or CI rather than rehashing items that have been 'done to death' as they say. There are lots of new ideas that they could do; an investigation that occurs mainly underwater with perhaps even an underwater battle like in the James Bond movie Thunderball ( I'd like to know if Horatio can swim underwater and is he as good with a spear gun as with other types of weaponry?) Also it would give Eric a chance to show us his diving skills once more- even Calleigh should appear in swim wear once in a while, it IS Miami, after all?

Perhaps they could do an international story or something that skirts along the 14 rating that show more than just random violence and a lot more intimate action. It's just a thought....

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  4. greatfan

greatfan Captain

I would think more than the Miami Dade police would be needed for international type of action. As for a lot more intimate action, I vote no,it's still basically a crime show and people didn't start watching because of intimate action. An occassional reference to indicate a relationship outside of the lab is okay but to make that a focus will have me turning the channel or picking up a book.

The person that reviewed this episode commented about Ryan's behavior this episode, as well as this season.She wondered if he was being set up for some type of fall.Given what we know about up coming episodes,I have to wonder if that's true. Is Ryan to learn some type of life lesson after up coming episodes? Perhaps some of what we see as "Ryan in trouble again" is supposed to be seen as 'Ryan learns a hard lesson " about life. Other characters have been changed by the events that they have gone through over the seasons, perhaps we are seeing a little of that with Ryan. He gets into some type of "trouble" almost every season, why? Are the writers and TPTB going somewhere with the " in trouble again" angle?

5. CSI17

CSI17 Hit and Run

I hope Ryan's attitude will change in the next episodes. Didn't appreciate him snarling at Tom. But that's just me. :p

6. GregNickRyanFan

I honestly do not think that the writers are planning on connecting the dots there (while they probably should) in anyway. I'd love for there to be a good reason for it, but I just don't have confidence in these writers. I think this is probably just the writers assinatinating Ryan's personality.

It even feels a little like maybe they just want an Eric/Ryan 2.0. If that's what they were trying to do (not saying it is, but if it is) , why did they have to use Ryan for it? Why not one of the new characters whose personalities we don't know yet?

The whole thing just confuses me.

7. greatfan

greatfan Captain

It was just a thought,just as you thinking the writers want an Eric/Ryan 2.0, we don't know that either.I just thought it was an interesting concept,the reviewer taking note of Ryan's attitude(which he had) and perhaps something occuring in the future. Maybe neither scenario is a plan for the writers,but we don't know if it's just character assination,some assination with a plan for the character to change some what in the future or not.Thinking it's just an Eric/Ryan thing is no more valid than my thinking it could be something else.
    Maybe all of it isn't character assination and bad writing ,but maybe it is.There may or may not be a plan.

8. GregNickRyanFan

It wasn't my intention to dismiss your idea/opinion, greatfan (it's actually a good idea). I apologize if you felt that I was doing that. What I meant was that I just don't trust the writers to go there (because I've lost a lot of faith in them as of late :( ). Sorry for the misunderstanding. My focus and clarity have been a bit off as of late due to lack of sleep (stupid sinus problems).

I would love there to be a reason like Greg on Vegas snapping at people which is normally out of character for him, but it was justified/explained (in the same episode) by how he's tired of getting the crap jobs all the time. But I just am not sure that the writers at Miami would give a reason. I could be wrong. I'd actually really really love to be wrong about this.

Once in a while a disagreement on a case (Eric/Ry in "Head Case" for example, Sid/Stella last week on NY, Doc Robbins/Cath about letting her daughter in the morgue) is fine, but having characters constantly sniping at each other or being rude to each other is just something that I find frustrating. It does feel like the writers are trying too hard to add some tension. It does feel forced, scriptly speaking. I like team moments, team bonding and for me that includes the M.E. So I don't like it when there's constant tension. A disagreement here and there (about a case) is fine though. I have no problem with that at all.

9. greatfan

greatfan Captain

Actually,I don't trust the writers either,it's probably more wishful thinking on my part.
    I just thought it was interesting that the reviewer bought this point up and wondered if it could be a possibility instead of just bad writing.It would be great if (for once)the writers and TPTB were going some place the way Ryan was being written and is seasonal problems.

10. GregNickRyanFan

Well, I agree with that. I'd much rather it be that than just bad writing or the writers having something against Ryan (which sometimes I actually wonder about lol). One theory I had was maybe a relative of Ryan's (yeah I'm still on that kick about wanting to meet a relative of his lol) is sick in the hospital and Ryan can't get any answers from them on the person's condition and is frusturated with doctors in general and just takes it out on Tom.

Its just so many frustrations this season. Its not just Ryan being OOC or whatever. Its more than that. It's the whole thing with character neglect too (mostly Nat, but Frank is a victim of it as well). I'm just not as enchanted as I once was with the show unfortunately. :lol: At this point I can't help but wonder if these writers will be able to turn it around. The ratings are already slipping. It's a little worrisome to be honest. :lol:

11. MiamiWolfe

MiamiWolfe Pathologist

It seems to be that Ryan was put in a position to learn a life lesson twice before: when he was fired and had to work his way back on the team and last year. He seemed a little off last year as well, and I thought a turning point for him was WISC and his torture at the hands of the Russian mob. I saw some real growth in him at the end of last year and I thought he turned a corner and it would continue into this year. And we are going through it again. How many years and how much trouble does he have to go through before he grows and moves on? Is he really that thick-headed that he has to go through a potential life changing crisis every season because he can't learn?! This is so irritating I can't even begin to explain.:scream:

I agree. IMHO,the writers do not care for Ryan and do not enjoy writing for him, so he gets every crappy thing they can think of. Maybe new writers are needed?

I would be very happy, especially if he actually shown growing and changing after this story arc. I am not holding my breath though

12. slower

slower Lab Technician

I'm wonder why tptb finds it necessary to bring in a replacement for Eric. By that I mean someone to yell at poor Ryan. I still stand by what I said; Ryan was justified in hanging up on Tom. Would you stand and take a dressing down for asking a question? I would't; I would walk off. Ryan in a sense did just that. Ryan may have sounded a bit impatient, but you can't always judge the tone of a person's voice. I think Ryan may have been a little frustrated with not finding any evidence.

I agree that tptb have been hard on Ryan's character this season; esp. with making him look dumb and wanting to leave the crime scene to eat (that was the topper).

SORRY GUYS I JUST HAVE A DIFFERENT TAKE ON THIS!!!:)

13. CSI-AJ

CSI-AJ Lab Technician

Agreed. It wasn't Ryan's fault that he asked a question and Tom gave a snarky response and this is coming from someone who likes Tom.

14. greatfan

greatfan Captain

I didn't have a problem with Ryan hanging up on Tom,I got a laugh out of it. I just found the reviewers comment interesting and wondered after reading them if the writers maybe be leading up to something because of how he has been written this season instead of it being sloppy writing.
    I for the most part find Tom snarky also.

15. nsynckal

nsynckal Hit and Run

Is it just me or did the interaction between the characters tonight seem... laughable? lol I dunno there was just no connection, esp with Ryan and I agree that that is not like him to hang up like that. This epi was weird I dunno. But I'm glad Frank got some time... him and Calleigh are good together. Frank is awesome! lol