Episode 8x19 - 'Spring Breakdown' ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Finch, Apr 10, 2010.

1. CSIMandy

CSIMandy Lab Technician

This was a good episode, it reminded me of CSI NY where the team seperated working on different cases only to realize they are connected.

It was good to see Frank get a lot of airtime here, that's a rare thing.

No Natalia, I'm guessing she was busy filming for AMC

I don't know if I agree with what Travers said about those three getting what they deserved. I agree they were wrong and should have paid for what they did, but wasn't murdering them going too far in revenge?

2. mjszud

mjszud Captain

I had a feeling Natalia wouldn't be in this one (and no, she isn't working on AMC). Guess I'll be watching 'Castle' instead.

3. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

Thanks for the link. Wow! Rex Linn! I hope they made him part of the show, too!

4. CSIMandy

CSIMandy Lab Technician

Yes, Rex is a part of the show. He gets lots of airtime in this epi :)

5. Michya

Michya Lab Technician

Same feeling here, knew it, done with the show anyway.

6. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

I really liked this episode :) No Natalia, which sucked -- especially since, with them working on three different-though-connected cases, I'd think it would make sense for them to have more help. But this seriously felt like that "back-to-basics" thing they kept promising at the beginning of the season. It was fun, actually watching them piece the case together (rather than just being told that they'd pieced things together), because there were some great character interactions that came through with the mini-teams that worked on the individual vics in the case. However, the case itself I was a little less impressed by, spring break and the girl who wanted revenge on the mean kids has been done to death.

7. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

This episode was boring. the initial storyline (fat girl gets revenge on tormentor(s) ) is stolen from a NY ep (get original ideas writers and quit stealing them from the other two CSIs), end scene looked like a scene from Cold Case with the girl going into jail as the skinny brunette and then showing her in jail as the way she was when she was teased. Stop stealing stuff from other shows! Not only did they steal from NY in this ep, but also from Cold Case? Ugh! And the character neglect (Natalia) when she could have clearly been investigating the case with Cal and Frank is just unacceptable. And then there were Ryan's interactions with Tom. I really felt that Ryan was out of character in those scenes.

Okay since it's just Tom that he seems to act this way toward, the only theory I have is that he was so disappointed by the last ME whom he did feel like was a friend, that he's trying not to get too close to this one so he isn't as disappointed... but even still its character assination.

This is probably the most boring ep of the season. Probably was hyped up too much... that and the fact that we've had so many repeats lately... it just seemed like a big let down. :lol:

The only good parts were that when I read that the team splits up to investigate three different murders, I wanted the pairings to be Ryan/Jess, Walter/H... they got those two right... but I wanted Natalia to be investigating with Cal and they left Nat completely out of the episode! :wtf:

Ryan's scene with Travers and him teasing Frank were cute scenes. This is the true Ryan, always playfully teasing Frank and Frank gives as good as he gets too. :lol: Well, and Frank got a lot more airtime than usual which was good. Its just too bad it had to be in this episode (which for the most part was boring as all get out).

Calleigh's killer blonde line was kind of cute.

I did chuckle a bit at the kids cheering when Horatio shot the dummy out of the hotel room.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  8. greatfan

greatfan Captain

Tom and Ryan didn't get off on the best foot earlier in the season.Who knows,Tom could be shoving the info Ryan needs behind everyone else's,that could be part of the attitude.Maybe for once the writers have a plan or something in mind,like perhaps Ryan doesn't want to get close so there would be less disappoinment if something comes up.
    I don't think the episode needs an F but it did lose points because there was no Natalia.

9. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Honestly, I doubt these writers have a plan. If they do have a plan to have Ryan say he just got close to Alexx only to have her leave and was starting to be friends with Tara only to have to turn her in for stealing/drugs and that's why he doesn't want to get close to Tom... cause he doesn't want to be disappointed again or lose another friend... if that's what they are trying to say then I wish they'd hurry and have him say it cause I don't like him being written this way. It feels very OOC. Ryan knows how it feels to be new on the team and be treated like an enemy or an outsider. I don't believe its in his true character (when he's written properly) to turn around and do it to someone else.

The F was for everything. The boring-ness (is that a word? lol) of the ep, the stealing from NY and CC, the Ryan thing and the Nat thing. And they easily could have had Valera there to run the DNA on the hair. If it was just the Ryan/Tom stuff it would have only gotten a C- or a D. :lol: But with everything that went on... I was just bored... except for Ryan/Frank and Ryan/Travers. Their scenes were cute. The rest of it was pretty much just Boring City. :lol:

10. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

Hey CSI: Miami fans, I watched a new episode of Iron Chef America last night and Eva La Rue was one of the judges. She was great but tough, along with the other two judges. She was direct to the point about the food.

I think ICA is usually repeated Thursday and Saturday. You can watch it too, so that her absence in tonight's episode would be somehow compensated. :)

11. bgnogan

bgnogan Hit and Run

I wouldn't give it an F but sadly I do agree with much of what you posted. This ep was ridiculously predictable. I knew very early on that the girl lost weight and changed her hair color. It's like the writers didn't even try AT ALL! Seriously this show needs different writers/directors.:rolleyes:

Also they crap on Ryan once again! His interactions with Tom. Walter and Jesse having to explain things to him. It's like they forgot how great he was before. How in the hell can the people in charge of this show not know how much they're screwing up?:brickwall:

And for god's sake make Horatio the way he was in the earlier seasons when he just talked and dealt with people normally. I saw a touch of it in "Dishonor" but that seems to have been completely forgotten.

12. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

I didn't see anything too horrible in Ryan and Tom's interactions, it came off as an entertaining dynamic to me. It reminded me a little of Frank and Ryan's bantering, actually. I guess I can see how some of their exchanges might've seemed rude (on both ends, Tom certainly wasn't innocent :p), but I personally didn't take it that way, it just came off as a snarky dynamic that worked.

I will say, though, that CSI:NY's "Personal Foul" was what this episode strongly reminded me of.

13. Blinded By Smoke

Blinded By Smoke Pathologist

My thoughts exactly. I enjoyed it. Mostly because of the character interactions. And I didn't mind Tom/Ryan's talk, mostly- like I said in the Ryan/Jon thread- I've seen Tom be harsh to him on a few occasions this season, and while THAT alone doesn't make it right... I just.. have a feeling they're not really 'into' each other that much. That's JMO though, everyone has had some interesting/valid points. I do agree the story was trite, although, I liked it-- and as I said at the first of my post, Character interactions was AMAZING!

Does anyone know if maybe Eva has taken personal time this season? They show her kind of like they show Anna Belknap on NY. Maybe she suggested this, and it isn't on the writers? :confused::confused: Who knows.. either way, I really miss her!!

Other than that, I'm glad to see no more shoving Jesse down our throats (So far) he is more like-able now. And Walter... Walter is becoming a bit over-barring. Maybe he needs to tone it down a notch? Or perhaps it's just me.....

I'm looking forward to the rest of the season.

14. Theresa

Theresa Lab Technician

I agree, Blinded by Smoke, way too much Walter! For three cases with three teams, there was way too much focus on Walter. I am trying to like him, but he is getting on my nerves. Especially when Natalia should have been in his place. I liked that Ryan hung up on Tom because Tom has been very rude to him from the beginning. Ryan won't take crap from him and yet doesn't dwell on it; he just focuses on solving the case. By the way, Jon is looking very hot! Also the camera work was way too busy; very distracting. Also, Emily comes across as tired and mechanical. Not very pleased with this episode; but next week looks exciting!

15. Emmie

Emmie Victim

Did anyone else notice that Calleigh was the one that said the one-liner instead of Horatio? I thought it was a bit awkward.