Episode 8x05 - 'Bad Seed' ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Finch, Oct 17, 2009.

1. greatfan

greatfan Captain

Even people that don't have dynamics with a large group of people find a few people to bond with.There is nothing really forced,it seems rather realistic.The new guys don't have a history with Ryan,their interactions aren't colored by him replacing Speed or other resentments or mistrust,there's no reason a friendship couldn't develop. Ryan has had fairly good dynamics with Horatio and Calleigh but why restrict it to just them?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  2. CSI-AJ

CSI-AJ Lab Technician

Well I thought long and hard and in the end thought that this was a good episode. However it looks like this week, Frank ended up riding the pine as he only appeared in one scene but it was good to see the team sitting together brainstorming.

I didn't have a problem with Ryan underestimating the farmer. That kind of attitude is common among lots of people but I'm sure it's something he'll heed in the future. I also like his partnership with Walter and Jesse. Considering that Eric won't be here, why not explore this new potential partnership and one can see the three actors play off each other quite well.

In the end what made this ep stand out was that it took a different direction from other episodes in that Horatio and co were out of their element and had to use different tactics to wrong a right.

Rating ***.5/5

3. RoscoeTrek

RoscoeTrek Rookie

I must appreciate that tptb are doing a good job :thumbsup:in trying to bring back the essence of CSI: Miami lost in the past seasons. Though I must say much of the damage has already been done because of prior storylines etc.

I liked this episode coz there was a decent realistic story and it was fun to watch the team come together as it were and solve the case.

I really miss Alexx now, :( it makes me think about how much I might miss Eric. Jesse & Walter are a surprisingly wonderful addition to the show! Their presence in a way makes the team "complete" in a certain way.:bolian:

Now... I hate the split screens though you can simultaneously watch the expressions on everyone's face, I hate it that you have to focus on many points on the screen! Its just IRRITATING :angryrazz: !!!!!!!!!

I loved the scenes between Cal & Eric and the ones between Ryan, Walter & Jesse. Also, the scene between H & the suspect's attorney were awesome... though H didn't say anything :shifty: (H doesn't always have an answer :p it makes him look human). The Eric, Cal, Walter & Natalia acene cracked me up (bad):guffaw:.

Eric got a note from H... :adore:

Ryan was SOOO MEAN!!! :cardie: I couldn't believe it... it a huge jump from when he was a cute kid the first time he joined CSI. Perhaps, they're tryin to toughen him up a little :confused:.

Loved Frank's scene, wasn't much but it was great!!!

OVERALL RATING: B

4. symbeline

symbeline Witness

It feels forced when Ryan has known the others for 5 years now and last season there were some nice team moments. He's friends --or should be-- with Calleigh and Natalia, but there's so little indication of that. It's a shame. The only tension left was between Ryan and Eric, and I thought that was long gone. I wouldn't mind Ryan being close to the new guys because as you said, that could be realistic, but it isn't when he is only interacting with them. As if the writers wanted a fresh start for Ryan and the new characters provided it.

Also, It wouldn't feel forced if it wasn't in every episode. I'd rather see the characters share scenes and decide if they have chemistry together, not being told and shown that they have it, before I've even had the opportunity to decide if I like them.

But I realize that's my problem and nobody else seems to have it, so whatever. :lol:

5. greatfan

greatfan Captain

This proves everyone sees things differently.I never thought the tension left,it was always under the surface and it took next to nothing to make it erupt.I hated it,maybe that's why I'm enjoying the 3 working together.Ryan has had short scenes with the other characters.I'm sure that will continue and at some point in the season perhaps spend more time with them as well.
    Some of us I've seen them share scenes and decided there is chemistry there.

6. mjszud

mjszud Captain

I agree w/ both sides actually. I do like the "3-musketeer" bonding, but I also do think that tptb could spare some interaction with Ryan/Calleigh and/or Ryan/H -- those relationships should be built up just as much, if not more considering they've been together as a team longer. While I enjoy the new trio, I don't want it to start feeling like an "overkilled relationship" that's shown in every single episode. I'd like to see eventually that they split them up some more - we can obviously tell that those 3 can work good together, but we haven't got to see how well Jesse or Walter can really mesh one on one with other team members.

I do like Walter, I personally find him refreshing, but I'm highly confused on his role & where tptb are taking him. His screentime was right up there with Jesse's in this episode, while 2 of the veteran characters got less (3 including Frank)....doesn't make much sense to me. I guess for me it isn't necessary to have new characters shown more just to introduce them. Though I fully enjoyed Walter in this episode, I didn't need him in all the scenes he was in just to appreciate or like the character.

7. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Ryan/Jon looks healthy and in last night's ep he looked gorgeous. He looked (minus the haircut) much like he did last season. I love the casual clothing on him. :thumbsup:

I do enjoy the trio of Walter/Jesse/Ryan, but the writers need to remember that less is more. Don't overdo it. I'd honestly like to see more of Jesse/Ryan interaction without Walter. And I agree that there does need to be a balance. Let's not go back to the constant same pairings over and over again. Let's divide it out. Have some cases where Ryan and Calleigh work together, just them... or some cases where Ryan and Natalia, just the two of them working a case. And definitely without a doubt more Ryan/H scenes and yes, even Ryan/Frank (I love Ryan/Frank scenes they're both so funny).

8. Cath.S

Cath.S CSI Level One

There is this novel Toxin written by Robin Cook from 1998 and it also deals with the E.coli problem. There a girl died after eating a burger with poisoned meat and it also shows the machinations of the industry. So we can see it's still a problem and I think it's good that a show like CSI:Miami deals with such a problem to show the audience that we should be careful with what we eat.

Actually I like the interaction between the three guys, but I also can understand your point of view. I hope the writers won't escalate with the jokes 'cause as you wrote it's CSI:Miami and not one of these comedy series. :shifty:

I'm also a bit confused about Walters importance. His role is good for the whole series but he is only a recurring character and has more screentime like Frank or Natalia? Idk maybe if Eric will definitely leave the show then they add Walter to the main cast? Hm but who knows?

9. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

I agree with you totally here, great_zombie! I never thought the tension between Ryan and Eric was gone. In fact I got very, very tired of seeing it all the time.

I saw instant chemistry with those three from the start and I love it!

I wouldn't mind seeing them mix it up a little, but I can be patient while they work it out. I really enjoyed watching Jesse and Natalia work together, as I have Ryan and Natalia. Jesse and Horatio seem to have a special trust and bond that I'd like to see more of. Frank and Walter would be hysterical.

I'm just thrilled they have finally given Ryan some friends - and he looks happier, too. :)

Hopefully as the season progresses we'll get to see a little more mixing of the team members, but I really don't want to mess too much with these three. They are delightful to watch. :)

10. symbeline

symbeline Witness

I'm not implying that he doesn't look healthy. :( If he had lose weight and I thought he looked better before (the character, not the actor), I'd have said the same. It's probably just a mixture of odd postures and unflattering wardrobe, but it is distracting sometimes.

William Petersen gained weight over the years and I never give it too much thought. And I wish Marg Helgenberger would gain a few, it'd look soooo much better on her. When an actor's appearance changes, it always has some impact on the character, and most of the time it goes unnoticed, but sometimes it grabs your attention, for whatever reason. Like EP, for example. Her face seems slightly different and there are times when I'm distracted and I think she shouldn't have messed with face, if it's true that she has. I shouldn't be thinking about her face or about JT's weight, but sometimes you can't help it. And you know, I'm sure that JT would look gorgeous with a more fitting wardrobe, weight gain or not.

I'm sorry if it seemed that I was bashing JT for gaining weight.

I thought it was established that Eric and Ryan were never --and would never be-- good friends, just co-workers. You don't have to be friends with everyone you work with. It doesn't make you an outsider.

And like others have said, it's the overkill that's bothering me. We see a scene with the trio in every episode, so I hope you understand why I said that I'd rather see them sharing just a few moments in the first episodes of the season, so I could get used to their dynamic.

11. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

Not sure if anyone here has mentioned it yet, but Omar/Walter was deemed a series regular a little while ago. I suspect he'll be added to the opening credits once they take Adam Rodriguez out (hopefully they'll bump everyone up one and put Walter further down). You can check out the CSI Files article for further info. :)

As for the episode, meh, I was a bit bored. :p Maybe it's because I wasn't paying attention and my sister had to fill me in on some of the stuff. :lol:

But for a character farewell episode, I don't think it could have gone much better. :) Miami seems to fall VERY short when it releases one of its characters (some to Narnia ;)) so it was nice to see Delko get a proper sendoff.

As for the Eric/Calleigh relationship -- confusing enough? Not sure what they wanted us to take from that but some closure either way (since Eric won't be working there and going home with the characters is a rare thing) would have been nice. And if there was some, forgive me but I didn't see it. :lol: Although knowing them, they wanted to play out the 'are they or aren't they' thing to rile everyone up. It was a sweet scene, though.

I sort of missed the montage at the end because of the freaking split screens. It's even doubly irritating when my wide-screen tv plays Miami in full screen and I only get half of what they're showing. Please, please please stop the split screens. It's hard enough seeing the show with all the light flares and everyone muddled behind glass with a constantly moving camera.

I'm still loving Jesse. He seems to be pretty comfortable with being on the team and it was great to see that he wasn't in every single scene, given it was Eric's last hurrah.

Ryan irritated me slightly claiming farmers weren't educated (paraphrasing). Are they trying to make Ryan seem like the guy who just can't get anything right? Or maybe they're trying to insinuate his character is more arrogant now? I don't know, maybe it was just an innocent assumption but...it struck me. It is nice to see that he has flaws though. Hopefully they show some of his strengths, too.

Overall, good episode.

12. GregNickRyanFan

I too am glad Ryan has friends now because he does seem happier, but I just wish they'd quit giving him oddball lines that don't fit his character. :lol: I miss last season's hair style. Not that his hair this season is bad, I just liked last season's better. :lol: Also, is it just me, or is anyone else kind of missing the suits a little bit? I don't think Ryan has worn a suit this season at all yet. :lol: Once in a while I don't mind as long as the tie isn't too crazy. :lol:

I would like them to make the whole team a family like unit and not just the trio. :lol: Also, if we could get at least one scene of Ryan and Dave hanging out in a friendly environment, I'd be really grateful. :)

13. Anni Grey

Anni Grey Coroner

I have to point out right away, any episode that begins with Alexx Woods is a good episode. It was awesome to see her once more, and to see that her concern for Eric was still intact. This is clearly a relationship eight years in the making that sticks, and it's believable. Alexx always conveyed a sort of parent vibe when it concerned her colleagues, and here it is no different. She's never gone overboard with her concern, and just like a mother, she spots out quickly that there's something amiss with Eric and she calls him out on it. Before Eric can explain how he's feeling, the action ramps up, and we don't get to hear his confession of feeling out of sorts. I really would've liked to have seen him express himself to Alexx about this, but we can see as the scene progresses, that Eric's clearly not `with it'. Early on, it's apparent that he's come to a decision about something and it's weighing heavily on him.

With the impending change coming, however, it was nice to see the team assembled again. I don't think there's been a scene with ALL of the team together in the layout room since season one (Golden Parachute). I liked the fact that the team was there , but it was missing one person: Jesse. I don't know if it was because he was the new guy in camp, and this was Delko's swan song, but to me, team means team, and Jesse should've been a part of it. I personally thought it had more to do with the whole changing of the guard situation than anything else, but nevertheless, that didn't take away from the moment. It was refreshing to see Horatio interact with his team and show the effectiveness of his leadership. I would love to see more of this in the future.

Something I don't want to see more of, is Ryan being dumbed down. How am I to believe that someone who was strict enough about protocols to in season three to tell Calleigh that if she was coming on the scene of his investigation of her father to put her hands in her pockets, would just trounce over the most important protocol there is : obtaining a warrant. The line that Ryan gave was not only stupid, but highly stereotypical and turned out to be false. The farmer was very much well aware of his rights and schooled Ryan quite proper. I winced at the fact that Ryan had Jesse and Walter in on it, and Jesse's quick thinking with the illegal workers was the only thing that saved that. Here's a note to TPTB: Stop fooling around with characters, it's not working. Either shape Ryan up, or kick him off, but don't continue to insult the CSI's. His off the wall comment and demeanor just looks bad.

A surprise: Natalia Boa Vista was very visible in this episode, and that's a good thing. My most enjoyable scene was when she was testing the corn and was being pressured by the others to produce. She let them know that as soon as she got the results, they would have them and not a moment sooner. Natalia's become such a strong character, I wish that they would utilize her more. It's a waste if they don't.

A dislike: The whole contaminated food plot. I know it happens, more than I would like to admit, but it grosses me out. After seeing the misadventures of the growers, the transportation and the dolling out of contaminated food, I practically swore off salads, corn and a few more things. I do like, however that they did shed light on the fact that not everything that is said to be organic isn't, and that politics plays a heavy role in just about everything we do in life. Kudos to CSI Miami for shedding that light.

Another dislike: Delko's inability to hold on to his anger in the questioning of the health department agent. Yes, she's was ridiculous and yes, she deserved the dressing down that Horatio gave her, but Delko was treading on thin ice. I know it was done to show how out of touch he was with the job, but his anger bursting out in an interrogation/ questioning is not new. But now that his perception is more askew, I suppose it was what was needed.

I'm going to veer for a second and say that Calleigh was a mixed bag of sorts. Yes, this had nothing to do with the show or the case, but the fact that her lips were turned in a perpetual frown had me distracted. Is she going too far with the botox? Does she not like the story line? WHAT? I happen to go with the botox theory; even when showing emotion, Calleigh's face barely moved. Emily Procter's a very beautiful woman, it's my personal opinion that she should let nature take it's course. She's only forty for cripes sake, she's not going to shrivel up and wither away. That's enough of me being superficial [​IMG]

The ending of this ep was one that everyone saw coming, but wasn't prepared for it. Eric and Calleigh's scene was nice and demure, and held the right amount of questions and ponders about the future, and finally stakes why he's leaving. I knew from the moment that Delko was shot in Season five, that he was on borrowed time. I was just glad that they chose not to take him out violently, and allowed him to make that decision himself. What was disappointing to me was that there was no face time with Horatio. Yes, it's implied that their relationship is deeper, but for those who don't see their lives away from the lab, it would've been great to see that personal touch to the send off. A letter on the windshield just didn't do it for me.

As always, the team of Jesse and Walter was a knockout. It is my hope that they continue to have this as an occurring theme, it's nice to get a fresh perspective in the grand scheme of things. Walter provides this. What I'm waiting for is Omar's name in the credits, because he really has made a place for himself there. Not to screw over our resident lab techs, but seriously, Walter's had more screen time than Valera in all of her seasons with the show, and it's only five shows into the season! I think there's a message there….

All in all, I give the ep an A. I thought that it was good that they didn't focus on Eric's departure much ( as par for the norm for Miami). It was a good mixture of odd ball humor, seriousness and dedication, and I can only hope that the rest of the season follows suit. Five shows in….and getting better!

14. GregNickRyanFan

Horatio sent the guys to the farm without a warrant, so that is on Horatio, not Ryan, not Jesse, not Walter. Ryan was the ONLY one who was saying that they shouldn't be there without a warrant. Why Ryan is getting the blame in that scene is beyond me.

The whole point was, they didn't need a warrant because Horatio knew they could not (no matter what) and would not be able to bring criminal charges against the company or whatever. The only thing they could do was get enough evidence so that the families of those dead could bring a civil lawsuit against the company. You probably don't need to have things obtained by warrants to bring a civil lawsuit against someone.

15. Cath.S

Cath.S CSI Level One

I haven't noticed it before so thank you for the information. :)

I hope they won't make his character more arrogant. I won't see Ryan as such a damn stupid guy. Imo it's not him and I hope the thing with the farmers in this ep was just a joke and didn't show us the new bad Ryan... :rolleyes:

It's good that he has this friends now and you right he looks happier. Probably if something would happen to him like in WISC the understanding and support for him in the team would be better now.
    Yes I miss the suits from last season a bit. A tie isn't so necessary but a look like in I think it was The DeLuca Motel would be very nice. :D