Episode 8x05 - 'Bad Seed' ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Finch, Oct 17, 2009.

1. 915

915 CSI Level One

Oh yeah I almost forgot about that one, yeah that is kinda dumb how they did that. I normally don't mind the split screen stuff, but that seems like overkill if they are in the same room. Though I didn't mind the scene with the "Is she done yet?" that was kinda funny.

2. slower

slower Lab Technician

The episode was very well done. Loved seeing Alexx again. The scene at the well with Ryan, Walter and Jessie was funny. :lol:

Ok, its' official, give Jessie the "Golden Cape", he can leap tall buildings in a single bound and is smarter than everyone else. :rolleyes: Enough said, I am officially against this character!!! No more Jessie, Please!!! And who says Walter has a recurring role? :rolleyes: The only redeeming qualities is the lighthearted friendship developing with Ryan, because he needs that after everything he has been through. But, come on, Ryan is a lot smarter than he is being potrayed at this moment.

Now onto Eric and Calleigh. This was so sad, I want him to stay in the worst way. Does anyone else besides me have the feeling they just broke up? I was never an E/C fan, but it I know a lot of fans enjoyed this pairing and are really sad to see it end. :(

3. Cath.S

Cath.S CSI Level One

It was a good episode but it shows it's better to stop eating 'cause you never know what you get... :rolleyes:

Well it was nice to see Alexx and Eric again and even if I'm not a fan of Eric it's a bit sad that he left csi...

I love the scenes with Jesse, Ryan and Walter. They are always so funny together.

I like the scene with Eric, Nat, Ryan, Cal and Horatio and the other scene with Eric, Cal, Nat and Walter was good too. I'm happy that we have more scenes with more than 2 people in this season 'cause imo this shows that they are a team. :)

Very good: Horatio's "Have a good lunch!" to this red dressed lady.

Love the song at the end.

Yes that was my wish too. It might have been a good moment.

4. lizziewalker

lizziewalker Rookie

he is leaving he hasn't left yet so they will have a scene delko decided it was time to leave but he still will be in a few more eps before he leaves for good

5. luf100

luf100 Coroner

I just have to say, I'm glad that Walter makes mistakes, like dropping the bag into the well thing. He's not like the new character who comes in and knows everything. Which I like. :D

6. Meta

Meta Hit and Run

-Natalia finally had more than a second worth of screen time this episode.

-Walter, Ryan, and Jesse have officially become the golden trio of CSI: Miami.

-I'm glad Alexx was back even if it was for just this episode. I miss seeing her in the moruge

-I'm kind of sad that Eric is leaving CSI. Still it was nice to see him again.

-Why do people think they can outrun Frank? It's one of the golden rules of all three CSI's: Never try to outrun Jim Brass, Frank Tripp, or Don Flack. They will always catch you (unless they are having an off day or Sophia Curtis, Danny Messer/Lindsay Monroe-Messer or Jessica Angell catches you first).

All in all a very good episode.

7. MiamiWolfe

MiamiWolfe Pathologist

An interesting, but kind of gross episode. I sure won't look at lettuce the same way again:lol::

Good to see Eric again but at the same time sad; the beginning of the end of an era. He looked good (shirtless:)) and cudos to Adam's acting:thumbsup: And H's note at the end was touching.

Alexx Woods' presence automatically raises the quality of the episode a couple of notchs.

Was..that .. NATALIA?! Only a couple of scenes but she made the most of them.

I would have paid Calleigh $20 to slap that chief; what a witch.

I cringed when Ryan made his "rural guys barely have educations" What was the purpose of this comment other than to make Ryan look like a massive jerk?! (First naive, now this. Okay, Jesse is alpha male, we get it). However despite this scene, I thought Ryan looked good and I enjoyed the rest of his scenes, especially Jesse (I can deal with Jesse here) and Walter whom he seems to have good chemistry with.

Nice to see they finally make Jesse not-so-perfect with his idea of the illegal entry on the farm.

Enjoyed the team brainstorming together (without Jesse). Reminds me of the other two CSI shows.

I love Frank tackling the guy "Why did you run Superfly?" "I didn't start chasing you until you started to run". Go Frank!:)

I thought EP's acting at the end was great as well. A nice moment.

Did anyone get the scenes for next week?

I liked the episode. I will completely miss Eric (good luck to Adam on all his future endevers).

8. greatfan

greatfan Captain

The Ryan comment was cringe worthy. I thought that comment along with Jesse's questioning the field workers status were sterotypical thinking on both their parts.
    I'm pretty sure ther is a repeat episode from season 7 next week.

9. mjszud

mjszud Captain

Loved the episode! I admit, there were so many scenes where they were all working together that it just made the episode for me - so awesome!
    The case was good too though, I was glued to the tube to find out where/how the kids were infected. The process scene that showed how it came from the cows & into the lettuce at the final stage was pretty cool, but also made me think twice about all the veggies in my fridge. Scary stuff.

There were so many good scenes I can't nitpick each one, but I loved the funny banter between Walter & Ryan when Walter's bag fell into the well, & Natalia's "really?" moment was just too funny -- it was like, you do know I can hear you right? :lol: Speaking of Natalia, I have to give a huge kudos to Eva. In a recent interview she talked about how she had some horrifying dialouge in a recent scene she had shot - I do believe she was referring to that scene where she mumbled off all that stuff about the corn & tox samples -- so good job, Eva, I couldn't understand a word of it but it came off as if Natalia really did, so bravo to you. :p

I truly hope tptb stick to this rhythm of more than 2 characters per scene, cause imo, it really did give off a much nicer vibe on the team as a whole, & made the episode that much more enjoyable.

The ending was a very nice touch also. I assumed we would have had more focus on Eric leaving, so I actually thought it was nice to see the added scenes of the others working to help the community on their time off.

As for E/C, well, in my honest of opinions, they didn't look together to me. Several things stuck out to me that suggested otherwise - I thought it was a little too informal in how Calleigh told him "welcome back", & also at the hospital when she said she hadn't had the chance to tell him she was glad he was ok. My impression was that they seemed rather distant, & the comment in itself sounded as if they hadn't seen each other, or talked much, since that last scene in 'Bolt Action'. As for the "what happens between you & me", the silence from Eric, then the "CSI isn't the only game", Eric's "I guess", add in Calleigh crying when he left - a little confusing yes, but my impression was that he was saying he was leaving her/the relationship as well as CSI. I just got the feeling that this was the typical work of tptb -- enough there to suggest that maybe things can unfold later, but at the same time it's enough to suggest closure & they move away from it by the time he returns.

I can't say I'll really miss Eric. I'm glad to see him go, I'm glad to see that we can have another handful of episodes without his drama or e/c's. Having said that, I did adore pre-bullet Eric, so when I say I'm glad he's gone it's because I truly hope that when he does return for his last 7 episodes he can return more healthy in the mental department - it's been too long having to see his emo side - his self-confidence is gone, he's barely stable, & I haven't cared for the lack of determination on his part either, it's just unappealing to me. He needs to break from that dependancy, so if it means he has to leave in order to gain some independence & confidence, then that's what's best for him, & imho, it's best for the show as well. Not that Adam/Eric's actual leave is what's best, but the show needs to move away from all of that PTS/brain injury aftermath, & unfortunatly his time away might be the only way for them to allow him to "change/get better", & then they can let him officially exit with some dignity. Here's to hoping anyway. ;)

Overall, great episode, totally enjoyed it. It get's a B+. :p

10. texmex327

texmex327 Pathologist

Does anyone else think Ryan is acting kind of OOC? Maybe its just me.

Ryan going along with illegal search & seizure...still doesnt sound right to me.

I can take Walter & Ryan working together, they seem to get along well. It seems to me that Ryan is trying to hard with Jesse...Ryan doesnt need to prove himself...

Still missing Delko... :(

11. greatfan

greatfan Captain

I think some tweaking of the character is going on for some reason.

12. BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida Rookie

I found that as Ryan spreading his wings……this isn’t so out of character for Ryan to go along with something that isn’t exactly right….I mean, he did break protocols before.....

And I don’t feel like Ryan is trying hard to prove anything to Jesse, there is no need for that, Jesse and Walter seems to just accept Ryan. Those three behaves like guys do, they rib each other, tease each other, get all competitive on each other. I see typical male behaviors. Besides, the three musketeers are quite adorable together. I’m glad that Ryan is finding his own little group where he can just be himself.

And I’m not seeing a super-Jesse here, he hasn’t done anything that I haven’t seen other CSI characters have done, so I’m not sure why people are so up at arms over it. Yeah he noticed some gunman behind him, yeah he ran around with guns, but that’s nothing new, it could all be attributed to the fact that he’s just a good cop. I mean, Jesse’s no newbie on the job, he’s worked with Horatio before, he’s been a cop for more than 12 years, surely you pick up some type of cop instinct or bad guy radar when you work that long.

Anyways, all in all, fun episode! I wanna see more of Jesse, Ryan, and Walter!

13. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Ryan does seem to be written OOC at times. That comment about the rural guys was more the writers' stereotypical thinking of farmers. They should have left that line out.

As for the illegal search, Horatio sent them there, so they were just following the boss' orders. I'm guessing Horatio knew they wouldn't be able to bring criminal charges no matter what, so the illegal search didn't matter. It wouldn't be a problem in a civil suit. Civil suits would hurt the company more I think.

I don't think Ryan's trying too hard with Jesse, but if he is, can't really blame him after the way things got off to a bad start with Eric. True they're closer now, but in the beginning... I think Ryan is still a little hurt by that truth be told.

Jesse was leaning down collecting a water sample in a little puddle of water when they gun-toting guy approached. I just figured Jesse saw the reflection of the guy in the little puddle. :lol: Anyone could do that. :lol: Some of us regular folk probably wouldn't be paying attention, but a cop has to rely on his senses if he wants to stay alive. So they have to be extra alert. The only thing that seemed kind of too perfect for me with Jesse was the way they announced that he had a pilot's license and having Cal say "of course you do" as if she was saying "why doesn't that surprise me" like she was thinking "is there anything this guy doesn't know/have". :lol:

I agree about Jesse not being a newbie. His scene would bother me a lot more if he had come in as a newbie knowing all of this stuff and being able to do everything on the spot (ie Ray Langston). He's been a cop for 12+ years, so he just has good instincts. Nothing wrong there.

14. symbeline

symbeline Witness

The good:

- Seing Alexx again.

- Until Ryan said "I'll grab Walter and Jesse", the episode felt like the old times, which proves that I don't need them. IMO they don't bring anything new to the show and I don't miss them when they aren't onscreen. I've never cared about Natalia or lately Eric, but I do miss them when they aren't in an episode or when their screentime is limited.

- I'm glad we didn't see Jesse until ten minutes in. I might get used to him in very small doses. I'm hoping to see more H&Jesse, that's a paining that doesn't bother me for some reason.

- Another balanced screentime episode, except for Natalia. But that's the norm this season, so I'm not surprised.

- Interesting case made for an enjoyable episode. Although it was another "ripped from the news" story, it was more interesting than the Bernie Madoff's ripoff from last episode. Genetically engineered corn has always been a sore point of debate between scientists so it was nice to have an episode that tackled that.

- I laughed at the organic company not being organic. I'm always very wary of anything being labelled "organic", although I tend to buy this kind of products. But yeah, I don't believe it's all that natural. :rolleyes:

- There were some realistic scenes, with the doctor and the CEO of the organic company. And he was right, a lot of people just want their food delivered and don't question how it's grown. And also natural/organic farming is extremely expensive --I know some people that are in the business-- and very few people want to pay more for the same type of product, so it's a risky business.

The bad:
    - I know I'm the only one but the Jesse/Walter/Ryan trio feels incredibly forced and scripted, like they are trying to give Ryan something nice to do this season. What about Walter with somebody else? I'm getting tired of him always being either with Jesse or Ryan. When this three are together it feels like a different show and while I've seen that a lot of people like it because of that reason, I like Miami to be Miami, not similar to other shows. The reason that I watch Miami and not NCIS for example is because I like Miami's style and not NCIS, so forcing another style into this show, it's only going to make me stop watching. But since I'm aware that I'm probably the only one that doesn't like the trio, there's nothing I can do apart from venting my frustration here. :lol:

- Natalia got two scenes. Some of Walter's scenes could have been Natalia's, and why is Natalia doing so much lab work lately? Again, what the hell are Valera and Travers for?

- Somebody already mentioned it, but Jonathan Togo has gained a few, which makes him look older. I'm not usually hard on actors gaining weight because I don't think that has to do with their acting abilities, but Ryan looked better a couple seasons ago. Maybe it's the wardrobe that makes him look heavier.

- Walter is the type of guy that gets on my nerves, the type that always has something funny to say and that everybody automatically adores because of that. That's just as plain as they come. I just hate this type of characters and I've stopped watching a couple of shows because of them, but again, I know I'm the only one that hates Walter, so well.

- Is that a legal way to obtain a confession? I know Miami always stretches credibility, but I doubt a lawsuit could be based on that.

- H's note made me go awwwwwww, but it would've been really nice to see a proper goodbye. Eric's his freaking brother-in-law!

- What a lame way to explain Eric's departure. Maybe I got distracted while they were explaining it? Yeah, I didn't think so. :scream:

That's why I think it feels awkward and forced. Ryan has never had a good dynamic with anybody except Calleigh and Horatio, so instead of focusing in making the old team seem more united now that Eric is gone, they have to attach him to the new characters and make them bestest of friends, so now fans that complained that Ryan was always painted as the shady and outsider guy, will feel good. Sorry, it does feel forced to me.

At least they didn't use that distorted and blurry camera again. It was giving me headaches. :lol:

I cringed too. I guess they are trying to make Ryan fun, so he's like the fun guys --Walter specially-- but that kind of jokes are incredibly dumb for a serious drama show. This is CSI:Miami, not "Friends" or "Two and a Half Men", but the writers seem to be losing perspective in their crusade to make this show about the funny trio. Sadly, as I'll be probably the only one that'll stop watching if things don't change, the writers are obviously doing something right. Well, good for them and good for those that like the new show. That's all I can say. No hard feelings. :lol:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  15. xeri

xeri Hit and Run

Thought the shout out was a bit much, first E.coli , then Chlostridien and all the charas reactions (picking up waste...), but ok guess they wanted to get the theme to the viewer :lol:

And yep it's a sad true that big companys do some sh*t for money , but my reaction to the gone wrong cloning was still *huh* . If they knew the gene they wanted they could have included it in a neutral vector for the cloning process , so no other Clostridium genes that could mutate....but ok it's tv and I'm still learning (maybe there would have been another problem otherwise...) ;)

Ohh yeah, when I saw them I could only think *yay the 3 musketeers* :guffaw: Love that Ryan finally has found a nice spot with some teammembers, hope they'll keep it that way between possible drama.
    For me it's believable 'cause between the 3 is no earlier drama, they can start fresh with each other.
    Just a bit miffed that Ryan gets more of the off comments (from the cougar to the rural guys ...you know what I mean :rolleyes:)

Loved Franks scene :lol:

Never was really invested in the E/C dynamic; but yep that def. sounded a bit distant and closed of. Think Eric feels the need to move on completely, so that includes their relationship.

Nice to see more chara interactions , never was a fan of the only one person scene plot....but poor Nat, nearly being watched over her shoulder :lol: