Episode #516 'Broken Home' ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by ThumpyG42, Feb 17, 2007.

1. Hunter

Hunter Coroner

Aw man i'm watching it, what i immediatly, unconsiously took note of is when Horatio was talking to the kid at the table, he put his shades on the table THEN sat down. :lol: For some reason, i'm pointing that out...

2. Laci Caine

Laci Caine Prime Suspect

:lol:

I was so waiting for the kid to snatch his glasses. But then I might have thrown something at the TV yelling at the kid to give the glasses back.

Thankfully, that didn't happen. As for the ep... I liked it, except I knew who did it way too soon. :rolleyes:

3. cainesugar

cainesugar Coroner

Here's my review.

I thought I'd hate it, because I thought they'd completely disregard Eric's injury. When Natalia said "Yeah, it's amazing, it's only been a few weeks I rolled my eyes and was like 'well thank God for miracles, right?' I also thought the case would be really bad.

It wasn't as bad as I thought, though they could have done better. The case was okay, not fantastic or anything (at least those pesky terrorists are gone...I hope) but it wasn't extremely predicatable and the plot was decent. I was more interested in that asshole doctor's case though, for some reason...and thought that Zach (the boyfriend who sleeps with the mom...ugh) was really cute. :) But it did get me thinking, anyways, and I thought it was pretty good, considering the fcat that it was pretty new material for Miami (a first time for everything :lol:)

Highlights:
    -Ryan. He was so great looking and was in it so much. he's getting more and more screentime...he got more than H, I think. :lol: I love his character and love how he's evolved into an intense, fiery, gorgeous CSI. :)
    -Natalia is also in it more. She's getting smarter, and more and more screentime. Her and Ryan stole ths how, so to speak.
    -That comercial for the Dave Letterman show when Jim Carrey imitated DC. I fell over laughing! :lol: (OK, OT sorry)
    -Cal's lines. When she was talking to that Zach cutie she was so intense...wow. And I love the whole collared shirt under sweater look she's got going (she had that in "Throwing Heat" as well)
    -Eric's storyline. Ok, here's the thing- I expected him to be 'miraculously' healed and good as ever. I thought they'd drop it, or at best make a few references to it. And as I said, when nat said "yeah it's amazing it's only been a few weeks since he was shot" I was like...how pathetic. Here we go with the miracles.
    They shocked me.
    When he made the mistake with the blood swabbing and mixed up water and (what was it...something dioxide? Not sure), I was thinking, 'well you did something right for a change,' because it did affect him. He was so sure he was fine, he was speaking slower, and he seemed disoriented. I really felt he had a head injury! And when he said "I wasn't ready." I almost broke down. Kudos to you Miami writers and staff and everyone...you suprised me and were rational for once. *huggles, apoligizes for threats of mob attacks*

I'm too tired to write anymore...but anyone know the name of the song at the end? 'Rewind?' I loved it so much and need to buy it...

Also, Eric's shirt was so similar to last weeks! :lol: I would have thought that one would be at the cleaners...it's hard to get blood out.
    And that Dave letterman comercial...FUNNY! ROTFL! :lol: Ok, *runs from mods* goodnight everyone!
    -Lilly-

4. Lucy

Lucy Colonial Fleet Librarian Premium Member

Crikey, that bad eh? I had a feeling that any kind of (slight) improvement in quality evident over the past couple of weeks wasn't going to last too long! Oh well, back to my BSG happy place. ;)

5. Pusher

Pusher Coroner

*with asleep voice* did this epi have end ?! wow so slow and boring one ... blah...not surprise at all ;) as carlz31 say continuity is word unknow for TPTB agrrr :mad: so many miss possibility for improvement on this tv show, but c`est la vie.... :( with epis like this (including S4) most of the fans will remember only quotes like 'Burn Baby Burn' or scene when H put his shades on the table (jumped on the side of the hummer) ... sad sad situation :rolleyes:

*keep snore in waiting for BSG new epi*

6. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

I actually enjoyed the episode for what it's worth. There might not have been huge continuity on Eric's front, but we still had a couple of scenes where Eric was dealing with his injury. I kind of like how they're taking it one step at a time instead of shoving the storylines back in our faces after the huge two episodes. I actually liked that Eric wasn't the focus, but we were still able to see an inkling of the effects from last week.

I thought all the actors did a wonderful job in delivering their characters, and my favorite part had to be Horatio's little case B with the serial killer doctor. I'm not sure why I liked it, but it gave the episode and extra pizazz that it desperately needed. Horatio's parts were truly great, imo. He wasn't overly God-like, and he went after the killer with so much passion and conviction, which reminded me of earlier seasons. Others may not agree, but I enjoyed Horatio in this episode because he was just simple again.

The episode seemed like a great concept but in the long run I felt it fell short of delivering to the audience. Most of it was in fact confusing, and at times I was wondering which family belonged to whom, and why they were investigating said item, etc. The case B was much more straightforward and might I say, a lot more interesting.

I could probably sit here pointing out every flaw and every hole in the episode, but by the time I'd finish, what's the point? It's not going to change the episode.

I'd give this episode 6 out of 10 though, because it wasn't completely hopeless and I'd certainly watch it again. In my opinion, it isn't half as bad as I'd thought.

7. CSI_Ali

CSI_Ali CSI Level One

Well, that really sums it up for me too.

The case did not interest me one bit. I didn't think the teaser was very well done at all. If that fails, then you're pretty much screwed. The whole point of the teaser is to hook you into the story, and that one didn't do it's job. Say sayonara to my attention span, guys. :rolleyes:

Now, on to Eric. Oh, dear. They really dropped the ball here. When something as big as a shooting happens, it's the one time I beg for CSI to put the case to one side and focus a little more on the characters and their interaction. Normally, Miami has no problem from straying from it's 'procedural' image and these days is coming closer to being a character drama, yet in the episode where they should focus on that, they don't. There's a *headdesk* moment if there ever was one.

First of all, could no-one muster up a bit of a reaction to Eric's return but Calleigh? C'mon, that was a big deal and they just ignored it. I wasn't asking for much, a freaking "Good to see you back," or something would have sufficed. Even Calleigh's comments weren't made directly to Eric. They should have made a bit of a bigger deal over it.

It looks like Eric and Ryan are going back to their macho bullshit/petty fighting ways. I, for one, am glad. It's much easier to watch than Ryan's ridiculous, over-dramatic "you shot my FRIEND!" antics from the last episode. I really don't get how everyone saw them as friends. They got a little friendlier in 'Nailed' but towards the end of the season with all the triangle crap, they were pretty much back to where they started. I really hope they keep it that way. It's very realistic. You aren't necessarily going to be best friends with everyone you work with in life. All the other CSI shows have these perfect teams, it's nice to see one that isn't so perfect. I'm not saying they need to be at each others throats 24/7, they can get on just well enough to do their jobs, but beyond that I don't see any loyalty there. I don't buy that either one of them would ever go to bat for the other when it came to crunch time. Plus, the only time I think I've ever really enjoyed Ryan is when he and Eric were fighting. Out of the whole cast, Adam seems to be the only one who Jon has any real chemistry with. Anyway, I hope they just decide whether they want them as friends or enemies, and keeps it that way. Evs.

Where the hell was the continuity in Eric's leg injury? It's really not that hard to have him limp about a bit. He seemed to have recovered so well that I have expecting him to jump up and click his heels as he sauntered out of the crime scene.

Horatio is really started to rub me up the wrong way. I think it's reached the poit where DC has gone too over the top with his mannerisms that I can barely stand to watch him any more. I feel sorry for Rex Linn, having to try and act opposite that every week. They pretty much just use him as a pillar for Horatio to shoot his one-liners off. Somebody save Frank! Get the poor guy a scene or two with somebody else, and let him have a go at actually playing off of someone. The last scene I can remember him sharing with somebody else is the scene with Calleigh's ass! Still, you'd probably get more to work with from that than Caruso anyway. At least Horatio not had quite as much screentime this season, he's much more bearable in small doses, which brings me to my next gripe:

Ryan, Ryan, Ryan, where do I start? You bug me to no end these days! I've got to say, this has been building since the start of Season 4 and quite frankly I've just had enough of you. When I first saw you in Season 3, I thought you had potential. You started off decent enough, with a nice bit of background and fairly interesting interaction with the rest of the cast. I could even stand the fact that through the whole season they stuck you with pretty much just one other member of the cast (oh, how tedious it got), and the fact that they gave you no development whatsoever. Still, I went into Season 4 with high hopes for you, and I really shouldn't have bothered. Still there was no development, and on top of that, you became a wholly unlikable character. It was all arrogance, and cockiness, and the same old repetitive crap. Season 5 has amplified that even more. How many times has Ryan made mistakes this season? (without consequences, I may add, but that's a whole other rant in itself) Right okay, now how many times has it been because Ryan is over-confident and arrogant? And then how many times has he acted the same damn way after the fact? Why is Ryan still making rookie mistakes that even Natalia would no better than to do?

Okay, back on topic somewhat, this episode just brought that back to the forefray to me because I realised just how much screentime he gets compared to the others. Why should such a boring and uninteresting character get so much screentime? I almost want to laugh for calling him a character, because he barely is one. Three seasons in and in still sitting here thinking "WHO THE F'ING HELL IS RYAN WOLFE?"

Why should he get more than the likes of Calleigh, who is far more intriguing, and supposed to be one of the lead characters. For the love of God, why can't they give Khandi Alexander some of that screetime?! She one of the better actors on the show, and has an interesting character that the writers have yet to capitalize on. Why, in this episode especially, did Adam go AWOL for a good half an hour? Why is the guy not getting screentime in his own storyline? Give some of it to Frank, or Valera or anyone! Just spread it out a bit! They really don't manage screentime well in this show at all, I'd hate to see what would happen if they had a cast as loaded as the original has. :rolleyes:

So yeah, Ryan and Horatio, together, are pissing my love for this show down the drain. :mad:

God, this is making me too angry, so forget it, and let me try to focus on the positives:

There was some continuity with Eric and his shooting. I was pretty much expecting them to brush it under the carpet. But they haven't, and I'm very thankful for that. I think this is going to continue into the future, I'm very excited to see where they take it.

It was also great continuity that Calleigh was the only one involved in the whole scenario with his mistake, not only because out of all the characters on the show they share the closest friendship, but after Calleigh's reaction in 'Man Down', it felt right that she was the one involved in this thing. Emily has been so on in the last couple of episode. It was plainly obvious that she was feeling awful about what she had to do to Eric. Emily does a great job conveying emotion through her eyes, and as my old drama lecturer said, that is the mark of a great actor. :D

Adam did a good job at creating sympathy for Eric. I think he's done a great job with what he's been given with this storyline. Like I said, I hope it continues, and they give him bigger and better stuff to work with from an emotional standpoint.

I actually registered Alexx was there, which is a rarity this season. It seems as though she's off the screen just as soon as she's on it. I'm getting really fed-up with how they neglect Alexx recently. I really hope they've got another 'Addiction' type storyline ready to pull out of their ass soon.

And last but not least, Natalia. I'm actually starting to quite like her. Now that all the drama surrounding her has died down, and she's not the center of a wangtsy love triangle or lame ass mole conspiracy, I'm actually starting to enjoy her character. I already feel like I've got a good grasp of her character, even if I didn't like the way they went about creating it. She adds something to the team, not only because Miami was in dire need of another estrogen injection, but because she fits in perfectly. She actually has some chemistry with every single character on the show, and it's very rare to find somebody who fits in quite that well. So, keep her doing her job and away from any more soap bubbles, and I think my like for her will continue to grow.

This episode, as a whole, was very weak though, from the story to the dialogue, it just didn't work. And there was me thinking we'd seen some drastic improvement over the past few weeks. If they're willing to put this out for sweeps, then I shudder to think what they're going to serve up for us come May and the season finale. :rolleyes:

(As for my rant, sorry if I offended anybody, that wasn't my intention at all. I just needed to get that off my chest. :))

8. Leftyguitar

Leftyguitar Police Officer

I thought the episode was okay, not as good as last week but not terrible either.
    At TPTB decided more than a week passed this time.:rolleyes: and they are making an atempt to the after effects from Eric getting shot.

Still, only a weeks afer being shot in the head? :confused:

Also shocked somebody other than Ryan made mistake. :eek:

The plot was very Desparate Housewivies, but not quite as funny. The B story with H and the doctor seemed more like an afterthought. oh well...

The cases were interesting, but not great.
    A decent episode overall, but not nearly as good as the last two.

9. csiviewer

csiviewer Civilian

Considering the importance of his work, in which no mistakes can be made, I would have thought that Eric would have had to undergo extensive testing and supervision before being allowed back in the field. Nevermind the physical rehab. Can you imagine the field day that some defense lawyer is going to have when he/she finds out that a CSI with a brain injury was allowed to collect and process evidence in a case??

I think a big ball was dropped in this episode. Shame on the writers.

10. divacat

divacat Civilian

Great episode. Happy to see Eric doing ok. Can't imagine Eric not continuing in the series. Hope this never happens.

11. Hunter

Hunter Coroner

I was SO waiting for that to happen! The kid snatches the shades, and H gets pissed. :devil:

I saw the episode, and OMG that kid didn't change his clothes AT ALL. That motorcycle kid. Bleck.

The ending was like my favourite part, at the graveyard. One, Horatio looked GREAT. ;) When he was walking away, and how it zoomed up on his back..*fans self with hands* But i LOVED that part where he got in the hummer, in the background!

12. cainesugar

cainesugar Coroner

Just FYI the song at the end was 'Rewind' by Paolo Nutini. A very incredible song!
    And Geni, as I said, I completely agree with everything! The doctor's case was very appealing, I really liked how they handled Eric's situation, and the case wasn't terrible. :) Everyone else hated it, lol. (But someone else say something bout the Jim Carrey 'DC' imitation on Dave Letterman!
    Sorry. :D

13. Hunter

Hunter Coroner

Did anyone notice Calleigh? Pink V sweater, white shirt underneath, and was i the only one who noticed something different about her hair? It was like an auburn kinda of color.

14. Shadowfax

Shadowfax CSI Level One

I thought Calleigh looked lovely in her light pink sweater. Her hair and makeup were soft and pretty too. Ryan was actually wearing a pink dress shirt underneath his jacket too, and the girl suspect was also wearing pink. The wardrobe department must've been in a pink mood. :lol:

That being said, I felt so bad for Eric. :( And even though I was happy to see him back, I was also disappointed at how the writers explained away his quick recovery to just "a few weeks". But... I can also see Eric being stubborn enough to not want to wait any longer than he has to before going back to work.

Hmmm... lots of NBV in this episode too. I don't really like that. I was really looking forward to more Eric scenes, but he seemed to have gotten pushed in the background again. :(

15. Hunter

Hunter Coroner

Yeah i was ticked at how there were so few scenes of Eric. Who wasn't?