Episode #507 'High Octane' ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Lucy, Nov 5, 2006.

1. MegantheMonster

MegantheMonster Police Officer

Is it just me or does the powers that be put little things into the show just for us... Like the use of 'Francis'.

The decapation was brutally nasty. Never again, please. If you are listening PTB no more. And no more stealing from the regular CSI. This whole documentry was stolen from regular CSI. The storyline had a female killer like 'Grand Prix' and had racing invovled. They're ripping themselves off now. Gr.

As for Calleigh, HOT HOT HOT! She didn't do much collection but she told that woman off like no tomorrow. I screamed when she told the beat cop to 'get her out of here'. And those shoes, they were 12-inches high. Wowsers. Rawr. And that hair, best-of-the-best so far this season.

Ryan... No comment.

Boa Vista... Huh? What's going on? I'm suddenly supposed to feel bad for her? I don't think so. Just make her go away or do something productive.

Horatio... He's getting old and boring and predictable.

*runs away from all the crazy Horatio fans*

Megan

2. katpin31791

katpin31791 CSI Level Three

That was sooooooo funny. Thanks. Also if anyone remembers the soap RH. The oldest boy's name was Francis but they called him Frank. I'm just saying apparently it's just not for girls anymore. :)

3. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

So I just watched the episode. It was alright. I don't really have much to say about it at the moment. I may come back later and comment more. But I just have to say... I can't believe H called Frank Francis :lol: :lol: the first time I heard it, I thought I must have heard wrong, so I backed it up and watched it again. Then my sister, who was in the room but not watching the ep, turned and said, did he just call him Francis? Oh man, it was so funny. He doesn't seem like a Francis to me. Frank suits him better. And its' also weird because Frances is one of my middle names.

4. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

Thanks for the confirmation on that. :)

Actually, in 'Grand Prix', the real killer was the Crew Cheif, Ron. They couldn't prove Hailey had anything to do with it, despite what she told Horatio at the end of the episode. ;)

But I do agree, they seem to be recycling their storylines, which don't get me wrong, every once and a while I'd like for tptb to re-use a great storyline and tweak it, but it shouldn't be every episode.

5. midnight_tiptoes

midnight_tiptoes Head of the Day Shift

Frances is the female variation of Francis. Francis is male; Frances is female. I happen to love both. Frank is a very common nickname for Francis. In fact, if you ask a Frank what his formal name is, most likely he'll tell you it's Francis.

Calleigh is not a name, it's an abomination. It means nothing. It's made up. Sometimes it's used as a nickname for Caroline. You have no idea how many times I've wished they'd named her Caroline, nn Calleigh instead, but alas. Ugh, at least spell it Callie, show (which isn't a name, either, but at least it looks better). I hate that silly -leigh suffix like you wouldn't believe.

Sorry, bad names are a huge pet peeve of mine. Alexx, wtf? WHY the two Xs? Should be Yelena, not Yelina. Why Madison, why?! Save for Maxine (which I love!) and Natalia, all the women of this show have terrible, terrible names. It's head to head with Grey's Anatomy (Addison, Callie, Thatcher, Ellis, WTF?).

6. MegantheMonster

There is nothing wrong with the name Calleigh. It's just an alternet spelling of a name. Per say, like mine. Megan, it can be spelled, Meghan, Meagan, Meaghan.

And they all sound the same. It piseses me off when people spell Megan that way because it's my way.

But I think a weirder name is Horatio. Who is actually named Horatio? This whole show is a mess of weird names. Maxine, Horatio, Calleigh, Marasole, Natalia Boa Vista... Nobody in real life has those names. Everyone is named Jen or Jackie or Rob or George. I swear, if I know one more Jen or Jackie, I might have to start killing some of them off... LoL.

Megan

7. Finch

Perhaps they named them all very uniquely so they wouldn't have to worry about a real life person having the same name. It saves the headache of being taken to court.

Not that anyone would do that, but some people... :rolleyes:

I didn't mind Horatio calling Frank 'Francis' in last night's episode. - And besides, I liked that episode. It reminded me of season two. Well, some of it did. :p

8. midnight_tiptoes

midnight_tiptoes Head of the Day Shift

Calleigh has no real etymology. Calleigh is a recently made up name that a bunch of soccer moms thought would be adorable in their little purple princesses. Callie is a pet form of Calista or Caroline. My guess is Calleigh is the writer's idea of a charming Southern name (since Leigh is arguably very Southern), but it's actually a fairly recent suburban invention. So while there are a bunch of SUV driving, Starbucks lovin', Martha Stuart worshiping women out there who are head over heels in love with this name, on the contents of this show it doesn't make much sense. And for the record, I do think Callie is a very cute nickname, but as a given name it's all kinds of terrible, considering the recent study on name discrimination.

The name Maxine has declined in popularity, but it makes sense for a 30+ year old woman to be named Maxine. According to the SSA, Maxine was a popular name in 1978, which I assume is around the year that Valera was born. You probably don't know any Horatios in real life because you don't hang out with 50 year olds, but it's not completely unheard of. There's an actor on SNL called Horatio Sanz. Natalia is one of the most popular names in Latin America, as is Marisol. Since both women are Hispanic, it makes sense that they're called that. You have no idea how many Natalias I run into on a daily basis. The show does a fairly good job in keeping the names very diverse, but just like in real life that doesn't mean they're all fantastic.

9. Juma

Juma Police Officer

Ok so now I just had to call my girlsfrancises and one spells
    with an e
    one with an i
    and another completely randomly is a Francesca, which I had no idea about.

so I admit Francis could be a guy. okok.

Natalia is a name that is common in most nations, I mean, I know a hisp N, a Russian N, a french Natalie etcetc. It's very common. It seems a lot of girls born in dec have this name.

Maxine I don't know anyone. Neither Horatio nor Ryan.
    Both Jonathan and Adam I know some.
    Calleigh? no ONE.
    Alexx? not with that spelling, but a lot of Alessandras and Alexandras.

I never thought about the legal aspect. I just thought they named their babies like anyone, thinking of the character and the meaning.

But the legal thing makes sense.
    Let's say there is a Natalia Boa Vista in Miami, maybe she wouldn't be so happy?
    or maybe she would, being named after one of the most gorgeous women on TV?

duh
    who knows? :lol:

10. Rebecca_V

Rebecca_V Rookie

I thought this eppy was pretty good. I enjoyed it but I actually thought others were a bit better. As for names. Well in my lifetime I have met a lot of people but never met anyone actually named Horatio. When I first found out that was Caruso's charactor's name I felt they should of wrote in the bio. "Red headed kid named Horatio Caine was beat up everyday in school." LOL. Yea. I can really see him gettin' picked on as a kid. A read headed Horatio is just asking for it.

Well enough of that. Anyway, personally I perfer the American muscle cars of the 60's and 70's. I have never been big on the foreign tricked out cars. I want that V8 rumbling underneath me when I drive. I was not too much into the cars in the eppy but I found them a bit interesting.

The Good Rebecca

11. Guest

Guest Guest

First off, in regard to midnight_tiptoes' post, I agree, there was no need to spell Calleigh with the 'leigh' at the end. The name Callie originated in Greece as a pet form of Calista, meaning 'beautiful'. However, the name is also sometimes credited as to having an English origin, meaning 'lark'. However, Callie is often used as just that name, not as a pet name or shortened version. And I know two women (one's 45 and the other is 37) that have Callie as their GIVEN name, so it's not just recently that it's being used.

Here are what the name meanings and origins are:

Horatio: Disputed origin, widely believed to be Latin or Spanish. Disputed meaning, widely believe to mean 'Light' or 'Timekeeper'.

Calleigh "Callie": Of either Greek (Most likely), Irish or English origin. Meaning is 'Beautiful' (Greek), 'Lark' (English), or 'From the forest' (Irish). Originally short for Calista, a Greek name.

Eric: Scandinavian origin. Meanings are 'ever-powerful', 'always ruler', etc. Originally a form of Frederick.

Tim "Timothy": Greek origin. Meaning "to honor God" or "one who honors God".

Ryan: Celtic/Gaelic/Irish origin. Meaning "little king", "little ruler", "king", etc.

Alexx "Alexandra": Greek origin. Meaning 'Protector/Defender of mankind.'

Natalia: Italian/Spanish origin. Meaning "Christmas day" or "Born on Christmas".

Frank "Francis": Latin/French origin. Meaning "free".

Cheers,

Rosefern

12. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

I've always been interested in names... but I'm not sure what this has to do with the episode. Perhaps we could get back to that?

I felt this plot was semi-recycled. There were a few good moments between the characters, though. Like Calleigh and Eric in the lab with the beer bottles.

13. MegantheMonster

Wow... I think it's funny, the names of the characters seem to match their general personalities.

Megan means pearl or strong like a pearl in Irish/Celtic.

Megan

14. Finch

This is just a friendly reminder to keep in mind the topic of the thread. :) The discussion of names is very interesting, but it has little to do with the actual episode. ;)

DragonflyDreamer, you make an excellent point. - That scene was done wonderfully. :)

15. Hcrazy

Hcrazy Lab Technician

Hey people,

Ok, you all need to take an easy on the names... :lol:

I love Calleigh's Name... Love it! :D
    Horatio :D :D Love it!
    Alexx :)
    Madison and everyone! :) :p ;)

Now just so you know H will be changing his shirts very soon! :lol:

I saw CBS early show today and in the interview he had a solid light brown or gray shirt... :eek: very nice, go look at the pic. He looks great and has really seemed to slim down, especially in the face. :D :cool:

I really liked the episode and think season 5 is great so far. I still want more H and it looks like I am going to get it next week. :D :D :devil: :devil: :devil:
    My Calleigh too! YeahhhhhhhhhhH!!!!! :D :devil: :devil: :devil:WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/11/07/earlyshow/leisure/celebspot/main2158127.shtml

Hcrazy! :D :lol: