Emily/Calleigh#12: -'Une très jolie petite blonde''

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Florry86, Jun 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ladyd10

ladyd10 Police Officer

I know that's the in canon thing that was in her original profile, but the numbers don't really add up with what we know about her. At the end of the fourth season (and they screwed up last year with it again) she was supposed to have been part of the Miami-Dade Lab for ten years. That would have put her at 23 when she was recruited from the New Orleans P.D., where she was not only a police officer that no longer walked a beat, but had gotten herself a heck of a reputation as a ballistics expert in the crime lab. So, when did her physics degree from Tulane come into being? In the States, most teenagers graduate from high school at 18. It takes, typically, four years to get a degree in anything, if not more. The earliest she would have graduated from college would have been at 22. Then there is the application and acceptance to the Police Academy. I couldn't find info on the timespan for New Orleans, but the standard training course seems to be about eight weeks, although most run in "seasons" and an accepted trainee could have to wait up to eight weeks to get into a program, if not more, depending on the amount of applications. Let's just say she was able to get in and out of her Academy class in six months. She's already 23 and a fresh new beat cop with no reputation anywhere. It takes a couple of years for a reputation to grow outside one's own shift, station house and city. We'll give her the fast track and say it took her two years because she's just that amazing. So, Megan doesn't hear of her until Calleigh is 25 and has been a member of the NOPD Crime Lab for a little while. She recruits her and Calleigh starts at Miami-Dade. Ten years later, at the end of the fourth season, she's already 35. Three seasons later makes her 38, which I can just barely swallow as straining real time. I know it's all a T.V. show, but some things need to come out as believable. Now, if it had been mentioned somewhere that she'd graduated early from high school and did the same in college....it still doesn't compute because no Police Academy will accept a candidate under the age of 21. So, I think that Calleigh, despite the original character profile (which also had her dad beating the snot out of her while she was growing up, and that changed within the first season), is closer to Emily's own age.

Just my take on it. I'm a teacher so I deal in fact and the fact is, if Calleigh was born in 1974 then I can't believe the character at all. It doesn't make sense.

2. VirGodess1923

VirGodess1923 Lab Technician

Wow, you're good! thanks..guess it wouldn't make sense to have her born in 1974, but like you said, this is TV and they'll make you believe anything. :lol:

3. C.H.E.A.R.

C.H.E.A.R. Pathologist

I think it's best to just put it this way: we love Calleigh, she has a good reputation and is a very damn good csi, no matter where she came from and she's in her thirties, still young and beautiful... I think the writers have a lot to deal with and sometimes don't remember somethings about the character. Who knows, the site that we got her age from may have the wrong information...wait a minute it isn't CBS is it? Cause if it is, then :rolleyes:.

4. ladyd10

ladyd10 Police Officer

A woman near/in her early 40's can still be young and beautiful. Emily certainly is! I think she looks more beautiful now than she was when she made Body Shots or Breast Men....or was in the Friends episode "The One With the Breast Milk". She's just simply more beautiful in my eyes now than then. She's grown into her lovely features and matured. She's fit, trim and sexy and I'd pit her against any 20 something any day and wager she'd come out ahead.

Just making a point.

5. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

Ladyd10 what an explanation! :thumbsup: All I remember is when Ryan was looking at her ID and was like :wtf: since it really made you think she went to the Police Academy at the age of 21...no wonder why she had a bad relationship at the time :lol:.

As for Mariana's question (yeah I'm going to consider it :p) I'd say that the most hilarious moment ever, to me, was oh well her machine moment in "Dispo Day" (well actually there were more than one hilarious moment in that episode). I really couldn't stop laughing right from the very beginning of that moment till Horatio told her "I think you've been dosed" :guffaw:.
    I so wish Emily could have more comic moments to play with also on this show. Whenever it's time for a comic moment (aka the air duct scene with Rex Linn), she is terrific!
    She proved it also on "The West Wing" and yeah while I was watching "Dispo Day" I kept thinking "oh boy!!! This is Ainsley who got tranferred to Miami :lol:"

IDK, I used to enjoy this aspect of Calleigh since even if she looked quite stupid during certain moments (aka machine one :guffaw:) she proved more than once what a smart girl she can be.

I'm not saying that I don't like this Calleigh anymore, all I'm saying is that I really miss the cheerful/comic side of her. While I enjoy as a much more mature woman, I can't say that I don't miss comic scenes.
    While watching the air duct scene in "The DeLuca Motel" I really hoped that the cheerful aspect was coming back....too bad that it was just a coincidence.

As for Emily becoming more and more beautiful I do agree with you Ladyd10, but let's not deny that for example on "Friends" she had a horrible look due to the year it was shot. I mean, those monkey eyebrows were absolutely normal at the moment (let's not deny that people used to have those eyebrows in 1994), but, right now, for us they're just disgusting :lol:

6. ladyd10

ladyd10 Police Officer

Thank you, Florry, for backing me up in the realm of Emily's maturing appearance. She's just so much beautiful today the ten years ago....I also agree that she needs more comedy. she plays it so well. she's got wonderful timeiong and the writers need to make use of it without making her ditzy. There's clever humor and physical comedy, which can happen to the most intelligent of people.

Anyone here a fan of The Big Bang Theory? To me, it's hysterical. I know folks like Sheldon (my best friend, Pam), Raj, Howard and Leonard. They're my friends just with different names and personalities but so close that it could be my life. I can so relate. Pam is so Sheldon, but not to the degree of autism/aspergers he presents. Go ahead, get offended (by anyone that would, giving my profile) and try and tackle me. Autism is my profession. Aspies, chill. I got your corner.

Anyway, getting Calleigh into a geeky moment could be intellectually funny and wonderful for our scientist ballistics expert, oh, yeah, that's called physics, and give those that get it a good laugh. Emily could play it so well because sh'e so intelligent. She's just that savvy and just that good.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  7. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

Yep and that's why I'd love to see her on a movie, possibely a comedy.

I do think that her comic aspect just finished on CSI:Miami and I really can't picture TPTB playing with her character as they used to in the first seasons. I mean right now Calleigh Duquesne is a too mature character that I really can't picture TPTB writing a comcic moment (by comic I mean an hilarious one when you can't stop laughing) for her.

Let's not deny that Emily is good both in dramas and comedies, but her comic essence is way too strong that whenver you have a comic moment, you can't not enjoy it. Seeing her crying on show like she did at the end of s7, I do think there's no way to bring out the comic essence Emily has always had.
    That's when I think she's done with that show. Because yeah there's no way for her to bring out the person she was. I really saw little bits of Emily in the earlier season, that right now I miss that Calleigh.

I'm not saying that I don't like Calleigh anymore, but, to me it is as if Calleigh Duquesne, the cheerful one, had died. Which is sad. I mean there could have been tons of possibilities to play with the comic aspect of Emily on this show, even if it's a drama.

But....oh well..that's what TPTB wanted for her character :p. They wanted her to become mature ;)

8. D&Daddict

D&Daddict Police Officer

While I agree with both of you that Emily looks more beautiful now than ever, I have to say that, even though we haven't seen much of Cal's cheerful and happy side lately, I don't think she lost it. The writers keep throwing drama her way because she's so good at acting it. IMO, the hard life experiences that people goesthrough help them mature and get stronger, but they won't change their true identity. Deep down Calleigh is still a happy, flirty and cheerful woman, and as soon as things calm down (crossing fingers), we'll get to see that side of her again . We actually had glimpses of flirty Calleigh in Dead on Arrival and Dissolved...

9. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

Well, quite honestly, I saw them just with Eric Delko. I'm ok with that since she's in a relationship with the guy, but I'd love to see something else (also not flirty) about this with the others especially with Natalia. You know, after all, they're both girls and there are so many topics they could talk about and have fun with :devil::lol:

10. ladyd10

ladyd10 Police Officer

Hey, Florry, I get your point, but we both know that in real life, even though we cry and have moments of high drama doesn't mean that in the furture we can't have moments of extreme bone-head comedy. That is what keeps us human. I can see, once the smoke has cleared and emotions have calmed that Calleigh can be on an investigation with Frank, 'cause it needs to be Frank since he is, in essence, just plain funny, and there is always a physically comedic moment between them. Life can't be all seriousness and tragedy. The funny just happens. Sometimes it just from your own personal perspective. I erased a large tract of skin from one knee last week. While it was tragic in a way and hurt a lot, it's still kind of funny. Pain isn't funny, but getting rides in a golf cart and being able to "play it off" as a bite from one of our most comedic characters at our Renaisance Faire is. I appreciated the concern and took help where it was offered, but I was still able to find the humor in it as well. That humor was fun to exploit and play off of. What can I say? I like the sound of laughter.

My point is, even though the character of Calleigh Duquesne has gone through some serious pain, she can still be funny when the situation warrants. It may not be to the full-blown potential of the actress, but play to the more subtle nuance of suggested humor. Though anything between her and Frank tends to turn out rather funny. I think it's just the height/size difference. He's like 6 foot 5 inches and she's teeny at about 5 foot three. He towers over her and outweighs her by another her, easily. Hello, that's just funny in the visual. It's subtle and any time we end up with her backside inhis face it's just downright funny because of the expressions on Frank's face.

So, my point is, Calleigh can still keep the funny coming, even though she's had so much heartache. It's just unlikely to be the in your face slapstick it might have once been. Life is funny. Laugh at it. Still want to see pie in the face war or paintball silliness.....not happening, I know, but I can dream, fuelled by Big Banfg Theory.

11. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

Totally agree with you and that's my usual idea of life.

IDK, I just see to much of drama on Calleigh's road, that I really have a difficult time picturing TPTB not creating drama for her character anymore.
    Really, at this point I can't wait for them to kill her father off the show!
    Yep, I do think they've been exagerating with her character. As much as I'm all for drama and as much it is much more realistic for a person to face dramatic situations rather than happy ones, I do feel that TPTB could have stopped this tendency a while ago ;)

But yep I guess this is just me :lol::p

12. csifann1

csifann1 CSI Level Two

Thank you Flò for consider my question :lol: Actually I asked what was the moment you hope to see next season :p

I really hope we get some more funny moments next season, s7 was just too drama, of course we had some, but it was nothing. So, I'd love to see some jokes about the high hells and that stuff, I don't care who says it, I think that'd be great :p

About Emily's beauty, you can't deny she's becoming more and more beautiful, starting with her hair :shifty::lol: I didn't like it very much in s1, it was too long and too straight, I don't like to see her with straight hair neither :p:lol: I think her hair in s5, s6 and s7(when it was a little curly) was awesome :D

About the first Calleigh we met, I've to agree that she's not gone, IMO. She's much more mature but I think she still is the ' a way too cheerful' Calleigh. She's been though a lot of drama lately, and that affects the person, but she won't become the super serious Calleigh that never says jokes and laughs ;)

13. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

Crap!!! I forgot to paste here the second part of my post :lol:

Ok I loved when Ryan mentioned how bad she is at driving and I do wish TPTB could go on playing with that funny side of Calleigh.

During the first season I also would have loved to see her getting handcuffed by one of her collegues because of a funny incident :lol:. I really don't know how to explain it. All I know is that it happens in lots of shows and I could see it being played out nicely by Emily too :lol:

But what I'm waiting for, at the moment, is for a big party in Miami...everyone with a very elegant dress or suit a *bum* the crime comes into play and our CSIs have to investigate while they're all dressed up :lol:.
    IDK, I think it can be funny too see our CSIs making some jokes or having fun of eachothers in an episode like that.

I really hope you're right. Because, at the moment, I can't stand her crying :p:lol:.
    Bring back the cheerful Calleigh Duquesne or, at least, some of her moments :lol:

14. csifann1

csifann1 CSI Level Two

That'd be great :lol:
    And I always dreamt to see our 'team' in a disco or something, dancing all around, even H [:p Gosh, I can't imagine him dacing :lol:] I'd love to see that side of them that we never saw before.

You know, I remember a while back that we want to see some emotional Calleigh, like it happen in Wrecking Crew and Seeing Red, I won't deni I didn't like to see that side of her, but quite hosnestly, bring back the cheerful Cal :)

15. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

You know? I've heard more than once that Calleigh used to go to the disco in the earlier season. If I'm not mistaken it was even mentioned in "Forced Entry" when she knew almost everything about clubs.
    Well I just sooo can't picture Calleigh on a dance floor. I mean I can picture Emily getting all crazy and starting to dance, I just can't picture Calleigh doing it.
    All I can imagine is her trying to dance with a man and constantly trampling on his foot :lol:.

I'm pretty sure that even H could dance better than Calleigh. I think I've said it all *ahem* :alienblush::lol:

Well OFC, they were great performances (no way to deny it), but it's time to make her stop crying. They made her cry? Good, there's no need to go on with it :lol:

You know, a good mixture would be perfect. A bad moment and a good moment, not always good (as it used to be during s1 and most of s2) or always bad (from s3 till her death :rolleyes::lol:):shifty:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.