Emily/Calleigh #11 :The Divine Miss Em

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Florry86, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lusiana88

lusiana88 CSI Level One

1) She has changed a lot. She has grown up and become more serious. She is not the cheerful Cal we loved when Tim was still alive and also the storylines related to her has changed. She is more emotional now, still strong and all, but writers are doing whatever they can to break her.

2) I don't know. I kinda miss the Calleigh who made me fall in love with CSI:Miami, but the show itself has changed a lot, we can say that in some situation it has lost its original nature...unfortunately.

3) Emily has been great, she has taken whatever the writers have wrote and made it alive with a talent and an enthusiam tat makes you forget you have been watching the same show for seven years already! Her performances are always wonderful even when the writings lack in something.

4) I would have make her grown up like they did but with a different process not so many accidents but just one with the right consequences. I would have left her deal with her alcoholic father longer and maybe let the viewers know something more about her past. Above all, I would have let the other character being more supportive, more the family-team CSI:Miami was supposed to be.

2. CSIMandy

CSIMandy Lab Technician

Emily looks beautiful in those pics. She's a really good actress and seems like a very sweet person

3. Monica1604

Monica1604 CSI Level One

To answer your questions:
    1) She has definitely changed since season one and it's natural. She's older,mature and more experienced. It would be odd if she hasn't.
    2) I think it's positive change. She was always so strong, independent and always looks like she doesn't need anyone to face the problems. For me it's not natural, you can't always handle with everything all by yourself. And she has been through a lot since season one, so I'm glad they show her more human side.
    3) I think Emily has been great at dealing with all those changes. She's amazing actress and she shows it in every episode. Thanks to her Calleigh is such a wonderful character.
    4) I'd love to see more cheerful Calleigh. I understand she went through a lot lately, but she was so tense and serious all the time. It'd be really nice to see her smiling, joking and being more relaxed.

4. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

1) Yes she has. I think that if we all think back seven years ago (or just about since we don't exactly what the show's timeline is) we will all see we've gone through changes in our personal lives and way of thinking and doing things.

2) I think it's been positive and realistic. Season one and two Cal was innocent and cheerful and then season three came. I think that the reality of the job really hit her hard in this season with Speedle's death and then her personal life was also shook up with Hagen's suicide. So, in came season 4 which was kind of the robotic year for Calleigh. That cheerfulness and innocence was barely there; she was all about business and IMO lacked a lot of emotion. Which I don't think was totally unrealistic after what she had been through. She did have her moments here and there but definitely not the same Cal.

From somewhere in season 5 till now, I think the writers have been trying to bring out the more human side of her. I think that Calleigh has been realising that life is not all about the job and that there are more important things to it. I think that experiences like the death of the witness in Wrecking Crew, and her helping out that woman and her baby in DeLuca Motel have made her more open to emotions, something that I definitely think she did need. I do think they put her through way too much physical danger and that it may not have been necessary for her to go through so much. But, at the same time, I love all this episodes so I really can't complain about it :p. I do love that even through all the danger and physical stuff she still remained Calleigh strong. Cause I have to emphasize that I do not think that showing more emotion or being more in touch with your human side makes you weak or changes your strong will. Not at all. I actually think it makes her a stronger human being which is so Calleigh. Anyway, I was saying that through everything she still remained strong cause take:

Stand your Ground: guys came, she took her gun out Calleigh D. style, told them she was a cop, and when they came back she had this great action sequence where she actually rolled around the ground and shot her a** off. I loved that opening sequence. She was all business about it until she realised she may have caused someone's death. So here we were showed that she actually FELT this and it shook her up, so we had tears. I loved this cause it was a really heartfelt and human reaction. So I think we had a great balance between strong, super Calleigh D. and human Calleigh D.

All In: I think Cal rocked this episode. I saw her taking charge of the situation and basically she saved herself. Strong Calleigh D., trusting her team by knowing they would understand her clues, talking to one of the guys she saw as the weaker of the two so she could get out of the situation. I never saw her weak or as a damsel in distress at all in this episode, but I did see she was shook up by what was happening which is realistic and expected in this kind of situation.

Smoke gets in...: again strong-willed Calleigh. Because of her being so independent and strong-willed she insisted on going back to get the body and that's why her lungs got screwed up. At the end of the episode of course she looked weak, she had gone through a lot pysically and she was tired and in a hospital bed, so that's normal. But it was not her essence as a person that was weak as we can see with her sacrificing herself to get the body and preserve te evidence. That's so Calleigh D.

So I guess that what I'm trying to say is that even though Calleigh HAS changed and is becoming less detached and more in touch with her human side I do not see this as her character becoming weaker. Not by a long shot. Like I said before, I actually think having these characteristics in a way make her a stronger human being which is so Calleigh. I think this cause in all this scenarios we see Cal basically taking care of herself but at the same time we see her being touched by what happened and having a reaction to it. Not like when Hagen killed himself and she basically shut everything out and wanted to keep on working and simply not deal with it. That's not healthy. Or like when Speed died and we saw no tears. I loved how she was so strong that she was this steel magnolia, but I also like that now we see more feelings and reactions when stuff like this happens.

3) Emily has done wonderfully in basically everything. She rocks :cool:.

4) I would like to know more about her family and I wouldn't have put her through so much. With half of the stuff she's been through it would've been enough. But I guess Calleigh-centric episodes bring in high ratings...:p

Oops sorry for the long post, got too excited I guess :p

5. EmilyRocks

EmilyRocks Police Officer

1) Has Calleigh changed since s1? Yes, she was more (I'm not sure of the right word here) perky, maybe... I don't know how to explain it. She's so much more hard-core now and I really like it. The one hard-care thing I can remember from season 1 is the season finale... I am sure there are other times too.
    2) Considering what you might have expected from her, has this change been positive or negative for her character? I think it has been positive. She stands up for herself more and seems more likely to raise her voice...especially at Stetler. hehehe
    3) Do you think Emily has been good at dealing with this change of character? If not, why? As an actress Emily has grown and developed so much. She seems more confident and able to show us who Calleigh is. As we've seen more Calleigh-centric episodes it's evident that Emily can handle doing more scenes whether they have more action or more talking.

4) If you had been TPTB, what kind of character's development you would have enjoyed seeing? This is tough. I think they did a good job of developing Calleigh. I love watching her and learning more about who she is. I imagine I'd have some good ideas to give them...who knows.

6. csifann1

csifann1 CSI Level Two

Ok people, I don't know if you know this but... I found out that Emily is on a movie :beer::beer:

It's called Barry Munday :)

Did you guys knew this?

7. lusiana88

lusiana88 CSI Level One

Yes! The movie is still in post-production and we don't know when it will be released. Her part is not big bu she said it is fun...so, I'm waiting! ;)

8. csifann1

csifann1 CSI Level Two

Yeah I know, I notice that too ;)
    It's always great see her in other movie/tv show :D

9. lusiana88

lusiana88 CSI Level One

That's another reason why i'm waiting for it!

I've put together some of Emily's best performances of this season...it's not all yet but there are some really good scenes...link

BREAKING NEWS: Emily will present "The A-List Awards", April 15th 2009

link

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  10. delkolover

delkolover CSI Level Three

Brilliantly put :D :thumbsup:

Cal has changed a lot over this season and as you point out her becoming more in touch with human or emotional side does not make her weak. It is just different for her. We have become sooo used to "harden, take no crap, I am fine and can take of it myself" Calleigh, that we all pretty much figured that she would always be like that....but what makes ALL these characters great and realistic is that they are NOT perfect and do change with and as a result of their experiences. I know it is tv and all but the characters still have to have some sort of humanity to them inorder to make them believable and I really felt in the last few seasons the Calleigh character had lost that humanity...so it is definately refreshing to see that aspect of her character ebeginning to return.

To say that these characters will go through all these trials and tribulations and NOT be changed is far fetched; even for this show! :lol:

I have to say that Emily has always done a great job with that the writers have given her....and now that she has moved more into the spotlight, she doing an even better job. Going from an extremely harden character to still being a woman on a mission but one more in touch with her emotions has seemlessly been done Emily, IMO. She really doesn't get enough credit for the performance she gives on the show :D

Unfortunately actor and actresses of these types of shows are rarely recognized for their performances; which sucks. With the exception of Mariska Hargitay of L&O SVU, procedurals and their actors' performances in them are often forgotten or a distant forethought when it comes time to recognize them .

11. hahagirl

hahagirl Hit and Run

I just saw the tornadoe in Raleigh on the news. Does anyone know if this was the week Emily was there? If so, I hope everything is okay...:(

12. electra

electra Pathologist

I am glad that Calleigh changed.Like so many have said,she is more in contact with her emotions now.She is still strong becouse I doubt if someone put a paper bag over my head,I would be able to function like she did but she is not a cold superhuman.Horatio,anyone?

And Emily is amazing.She is a different person from her character and should not be blamed if Calleigh does something we dislike.

13. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

One of the things that I don't enjoy very much about Horatio is when explotions occur and he doesn't even have a hair out of place (Hummer blowing up, boat where Saris was blowing up, house exploding behind him, etc.) Not a scratch, not fazed, nothing. In some way Calleigh was kind of becoming that and it was not fun. So I like that now when things happen to her she feels them and it affect and touches her. IMO that's a whole lot more interesting to watch than a person not having to deal with anything because they can overcome all. Or like when Hagen killed himself and Cal just wanted to go on with her work and shut everything out so to not deal with it. For me it is more interesting to watch her dealing with how this type of stuff affects her.

Plus the fact that Emily is such a great actress makes it even more enjoyable to watch these types of emotions.

14. electra

electra Pathologist

^Excellent point .I believe she is strong becouse despite that I can see that a situation is affecting her,she pulls herself together.It would not be the same if I perceive her as so powerful that nothing affects her.Where is the strenght in that?And strong people are able to laugh and even enjoy if her boyfriend is jealous.

15. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

That's a good point :lol: Someone who is not as strong would just react all unsure and flustered. So for her to be able to realize when it is not worth getting in an argument and kind of be amused by it, confirms your point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.