Elements of Style: Grammar Errata and Other Resources

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by midnight_tiptoes, Oct 17, 2004.

1. midnight_tiptoes

midnight_tiptoes Head of the Day Shift

Mr., Mrs., et al, are abbreviations, and all abbreviations are dotted. So your teacher is wrong on this one.

The only one you don't dot is miss, because 'miss' is a complete word.

2. RBC

RBC Coroner

See, I knew you have to do that. Thanks :D

3. Bev

Bev Pathologist

Wow. This is awesome. Its been 25+ years since I've been in an English class and found this very, very helpful. I'm sure I'll be using it in the future.

4. SparkyGirl

SparkyGirl CSI Level One

Thank you for all of the suggestions! It has been a few years since I have written anything and I'm a bit rusty. Made me really take a look at what I have written and how.

5. togoholic

togoholic CSI Level One

Great tips midnight! Thanks for that guide :) I'm writing my first fanfic now and I needed advice like that!

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Exactly, I find it increasingly annoyng when you get spelling mistakes scattered throughout the entire document. On my couse, there is a guide which states what you said above about bothering to proofread etc. Yet, in several sheet, I am given for course, I am still amzed by thea mount of spelling and grammatical errors. Of couse, I make the occasional one myself, which can't always be helped but I see errors all the time. It make me wonder.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

I also found UsingEnglish.com useful - you may wish to use that.

8. Silhouette

Silhouette Pathologist

Wow thank you for putting that up... especially because English isn't my first language, so I'm still struggling with grammar, idioms, and all that jazz :D Not to mention since I don't live in English-speaking environment, my vocab is terrible... :lol:
    I think the hardest part I'm struggling with is writting dialogue and characterization cause I don't normaly hear people talking English around me. I just think it's more difficult for non-English speaker. But thanks for the guidelines and the links :)

It's almost like a wake-up call for me to read all those English course books again :lol:

Anyway, I was wondering. If you need a Beta for your story, is there any special thread dedicated for this?
    Thanks before :)

9. sissi59100

sissi59100 CSI Level Three

Yup :D the thread is sticked here, it's called "Beta volunteers" , hope that helps ;)

Sissi

10. Silhouette

Silhouette Pathologist

Oh okay... thanks sissi :)

11. LiLAqUaMaRiE

LiLAqUaMaRiE Dead on Arrival

Thanks midnight_tiptoes! That was very helpful. Sometimes you tend to forget the most simplest things here and there, its always good to be reminded of them. ^_^

12. Speedslady

Speedslady Police Officer

With this helpful information I just might give it a crack, normally I write western or BtVS/Angel stuff.

So thankies, cause my brain is in overload with ideas for stories. LOL

13. SA_Kate_937

SA_Kate_937 Police Officer

Thanks soo much. This was very helpful, and made me realise I am not the only one who does not like people throwing characterization out of the window.

*looks out window* *sees characterization hit pavement* *starts banging head on wall*

Just a question: When there is a pause or someone drifts off while talking. Is it safe to use fulls stops? Like this:

He wanted ice cream. But..... He would have to wait until that afternon.

Because I'm writing a fic where there are lots of pauses where thinking is hapening. and I'm not sure how to do that.

Thanks all.

14. sissi59100

sissi59100 CSI Level Three

Hmm, well that's just my opinion but when you wanna show that your character is thinking, just use the italic codes. That's actually what i'm doing on my own fic, but maybe you should write at the beginning of your story that italic sentences are thoughts of your character.

That's just my idea ;)

15. SaraSidle_girl

SaraSidle_girl Pathologist

I can sure use this
    English is not my native language