Elements of Style: Grammar Errata and Other Resources

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by midnight_tiptoes, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Thank you! *is happy now* Your post is really helping me with my story since I've just noticed A LOT of errors in it now.

2. Anni Grey

Anni Grey Coroner

Hi I'm thinking of writing a fanfic for the forum is there any format to this? I've written for fanfic on the internet but they post as their own story. Will my story get it's own thread?

3. DoreenCSI

DoreenCSI Captain

Er... I have a question. Is it ok if I post up a fan fic I wrote which involves a character dying? I just wanna be sure first.

4. Hollis

Hollis CSI Level Two

Making a quick stop here... thanks for all the writing tips, I'll keep them in mind for skool and csi fanfics... :)

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Midnight Tiptoes,

I think this is a great source of information, thanks so much for sharing. It really helped me figure out the then\than thing that always tripped me up. But I have to ask, where did you find the info that says Warrick is half white and half black? On all other sources they only list him as African American, and that was the only ethnicity I've seen them list him on the CBS site. I'd be grateful if you'd cite your source.

6. SaraxGrissom

SaraxGrissom Rookie

Dang! I learned more here than I did in ANY English class. I guess I just got a batch of bad teachers. ^^' Heehee!

7. LoneWolfe001

LoneWolfe001 Pathologist

Hi, are there any fanfics about Ryan Wolfe. If yes, how do i find them (is there a link ?)?

8. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

Wow I just read up there...I should stick to the right format...my stories are so cluttered. I guess I'm used to reading novels lol

9. 9dots4lines

9dots4lines Lab Technician

Ooh! This place is wicked cool!

I have Microsoft Works Word Processor, and it has a grammar check. The one thing I get stuck on is the 'passive voice', like with this:

"...They would not give any specifics, but they said something happened. They also mentioned that they would try to arraign Janna for every fire, but eventually, charges were dropped. After that, the family would move and the same thing would happen."

I can't seem to think of anything to fix that! No matter what I do, it says that one word should be another, and I eould be back at square one again!

10. awesomepossum

awesomepossum CSI Level Two

Grammar rocks. Which is ironic that I say this, as most of my posts here have horrible mistakes.

Just a quick question: On this board in particular, are we allowed to post R-Rated fics with proper disclaimers?

And in response to characters thinking to themselves, I either show instead of tell (I.E. instead of "He's sexy, she thought to herself" I would write "She looked him up and down" or something, to describe that yes, he's sexy, without actually putting it in so many words. Sorry for the crude example, it was all I could think of short notice. Other than that, if internal dialogue is required, I use single quotation marks. This may be wrong. In fact, it probably is.

11. creg

creg Rookie

Wow this will come in handy. I'm going to use one of those sites you mentioned because I suck at spelling. Thanks! :)

12. saras_girlfriend

saras_girlfriend Coroner

I'm writing my first fic, started out with lots of enthousiasm, but I'm kind of stuck. I find it very hard to write about the CSI's working on a case, using all the terms and stuff. Is there a website that has a list of the terms used in CSI?

13. glam_chic86

glam_chic86 Head of the Graveyard Shift

I appreciate all the writing tips. I've taken numerous English classes and never learnt that much. I'm gonna try and write my first fan fic...a Mac and Stella one that is.

14. Catherinesmyidol

Catherinesmyidol Coroner

The one thing I can NEVER EVER get right are my paragraphs. I never know when to serperate them or if they should be longer. So for my next GSR I'm going to try and work on that...

15. RBC

RBC Coroner

I have a little question. I always thought that after Mrs belongs a dot. But my English teacher said that after Mr, Mrs and Ms shouldn't be a dot. Is this true? (all english teachers at our school learn us different things, really strange)