Elements of Style: Grammar Errata and Other Resources

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by midnight_tiptoes, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

I've never read this since I don't write or read fanfics, but I feel, (mostly punctuation) that those who are not native speakers of English can make mistakes (of course netlingo or !!!! or ????? are just plain stupid in any language)

Ah well, this is probably useless. Like there somewhere read, beta is good and someone knowing good grammar shold read it.

My English grammar isn't good and my Finnish grammar is probably ten times worse.

I just felt like posting here.
    :lol:

2. CSI3

CSI3 Lab Technician

Question: What kind of punctuation do you use to show that someone's thinking to themselves? I'm thinking of writing my first fanfic, but at the moment my characters are doing alot of thinking, and I don't really know the punctuation used in regards to this. I want to post it, but unless I can get the grammar right I won't, and it will remain in my head for all of time!

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Umm...i believe that when someone is thinking to themselves its in italics...but wait for a real response

4. midnight_tiptoes

midnight_tiptoes Head of the Day Shift

Depends. If the story is in first person, then you don't really have to distinguish.

But if it's not, then it's really up to you. Italics is the most popular choice, though, as bold kinda hurts the eyes.

If my character is thinking a lot, I prefer to switch the story to first person. It's less confusing. But if you have lots of characters all thinking, then Italics might be the best choice.

5. CSI3

CSI3 Lab Technician

Thank you so very much for helping me!

6. GreenCourage

GreenCourage Coroner

Whoa Nelly... New forum. I might have to put a story in here at sometime.

7. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Thanks for the advice. I'll definately keep this in mind when I'm writing. My problem is I type faster then I think. Then I look back on my mistakes and say, "That was really stupid!!!"

And admitting my fingers are faster then my brain wasn't very good. Oh well.

8. midnight_tiptoes

midnight_tiptoes Head of the Day Shift

I type really fast, too, but I always read my posts before I hit "send." It honestly doesn't take long.

Besides, I'm looking at the monitor as I type, so I know what I'm writing, and I see when I make a mistake :).

9. life_style

life_style Pathologist

Thank you Midnight Tiptoes, your guides are all great! Thanks again. :)

10. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Oh and I must share something that I've learned.

When you are doing a dialogue for a character. Don't forget that they are American. For example I as a Canadian should not punctuate the end of any conversation with 'eh'.

I did do that the other night while doing a dialogue for Nick and I thought, "Oh wait..that's really dumb..Nick is an Ame-rah-can and a Texan for that matter."

And yes I do say, "Eh!" a lot. Oh Canada, my home and native land..when will they bring CSI: Toronto here? That would be cool.

11. CSI3

CSI3 Lab Technician

^^^We can only dream!

12. life_style

life_style Pathologist

Haha.. I'm just waiting for a swedish CSI, the networks over here are always making swedish series out of american originals. And they always turn out to be crappy.. I'm happy with the american versions. ;)

To get back on topic; this tutorial has really helped me a lot. :)

13. Guest

Guest Guest

If anyone needs help with editing their grammar and what not, just PM me. I'm a literature major, and I love editing! (Weird, I know!)

14. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

I may take you up on it..as lon gas you promise not to laugh at my weird stories. It takes enough out of me to post them. :(

15. Dr_FooFoo

Dr_FooFoo Hit and Run

Ooo, I love betaing, too! So if anyone needs any help with editing or ideas for their story or anything, feel free to PM me. :D