Don't Cry For Me - A GSR/CSI fic

Chapter Eight
----------

As Grissom pushed the little brown box across the table, Sara's eyes lit up, her face turning pink. She was afraid to open it, afraid of what it might be. It was the size of a ring box, something she had never recieved until now. She opened it up, "It was my mother's. She told me to give it to somebody I love, someone I trust with my life.. And, Sara, that's you."

Sara's eyes went wide, you'd think she had a twinkle in the side, with the way she was smiling. She picked up the box, opened it, "Wow. Grissom... I.. I.."

"I'm not asking you to marry me. I just want you to know that you're all I need, all I want... I love you."

Sara couldn't speak. Nobody has ever given her such a sweet, meaningful gift. "I.. Grissom, I can't. This means too much to you. It belonged to your mother."

"Which is why I want you to have it." Grissom put his hand over Sara's.

"Alright, here's your food. Have fun guys. Don't eat too much, we're tired of cooking." the 40-something year old waitress rolled her eyes, as she walked away.

"Grissom.." Sara began when her cell phone went off, only seconds before Grissom's. "We'll talk about this later, back to the lab". Neither one touched their food, but, lost in the moment, it wasn't abnormal.

While in the interview, with nine year old Alison; with her father present, and her child advocate, Sara began asking questions.

"How are you Alison?"

"I... I'm okay. My daddy told me my sister's gone to Heaven." Alison began to cry.

"Yes, Alison, she is. I need to ask you a few questions, do you think you will be able to answer them?" Sara asked.

"Uh-huh" Alison replied.

"Okay." Sara said, looking down at her hands; where she wore the ring she recently recieved. She stared at it for a moment, and continued, "What did you see that night your mom died, Alison?"

"I was supposed to be sleeping. It was really late, and we were going to Disney Land next weekend. Mommy said that if I didn't listen, or be good, she would leave me with Aunty Fran. But I couldn't, I kept hearing noises. You know, that kind where you get too scared to look under your bed?" Alison began.

"Were you scared of those noises?" Sara asked.

"I'm nine years old. A noise under the bed doesn't scare me anymore. But then I heard mommy talking to someone, so I got out of my bed, and went to the stairs." Alison looked to her father, whose face lowered, looking to the table, "She was talking to my daddy. They began yelling, I hate when they yell, especially when he's not around." Alison pointed to James, unknowing what to call him. She knew he was her dad, but she didn't acknowledge that. "Who's that Alison?" Sara asked, looking at James. "James, he's my daddy too. Well, that's what I'm supposed to call him." Alison continued, "He said he couldn't see me this weekend, his new girlfriend was coming into town. She got really mad at him, and grabbed something from the bag he was holding. He told her to tell me that he would make it up to me when we all got back from Disney Land. He likes doing that, I don't think he loves me very much." Alison began crying.

"Alison, I'm sure your daddy loves you very much.." Sara's eyes lowered, feeling her, she knew what she was talking about; she felt that way too.

"Did you see what she grabbed?"

"No. It was too dark. But after he left I ran into my bed, she started crying. I didn't want to get in trouble.." Alison went into hysterics.

"Can we continue this later?" Emily Brant, Alison's advocate asked.

"Of course." Sara left the room.

Sara walked to Grissom's office, where she saw Greg in the hallway.

"Oh, hey, Sara." Greg smirked.

"Hey Greg, I'm just about to see Grissom, what's up?"

"Oh... Nothing. I just want to know, will you go to dinner with me?" Greg asked.

Sara couldn't say no, they were friends; at least to her. "Sure.. I don't know when I'm leaving, can we do it tomorrow?"

"Yes." Greg jestured, and walked away.

Sara turned her head slightly and continued to Grissom's office.

"Grissom, have you found Alison's father yet?"

"Yes, and he's on his way now." Grissom said, with his eyes in a book.

"Love means each person is free to follow each other's heart.. By Anonymous." Grissom looked up to Sara.

"Anonymous, huh? Well Greg asked me out for dinner tomorrow. I think we should get everyone together, tell them about us. I really think it's time." Sara pleaded.

Grissom met with Sara's eye, confused. He didn't know what to do about this, he doesn't want to let it come out yet, it's their secret, and he's having fun keeping it that way.

---------
For all your sanity's, I didn't do a TBC. :lol:

Chapter Nine
---------

Sara sat there, with her elbow on the breakroom table, with tears falling from her eyes. The sweet smell of lavender that she had recently sprayed on her earlier in the day was beginning to wear off. Sara was watching the late night news, at the beginning of her next shift..

"Still no resolution for the murder Annabelle Albani, and her 18 year old daughter. CSIs have told us they are working the case, and time will only tell when justice is served" the news reporter concluded with a video broadcast with Sara walking into the house.

Two months prior to this date, she likely wouldn't have felt anything. She wouldn't be crying over gosh-knows what, she can't even clearly understand what she's so upset about. Comparing herself to a nine-year old was beginning to get overwhelming, even for Sara.

Catherine walked into the breakroom, seeing sara rubbing her finger across her face.

"Sara, are you okay?" Catherine asked, concerned.

"Yeah. Yeah, I'm fine, Cath." Sara smiled.

"Well, usually when you cry.. You're upset, would you like to talk about it before I head back out my crime scene?" Catherine put her hand on Sara's back.

"No, I'm fine.. Really. I'm sorry about ditching Greg's case a few days ago, I know you were excited about spending time with Lindsay."

"Don't worry about it.. She's 12, she didn't want to be seen with me anyway." Catherine smiled, as she walked out of the room.

"Call me if you need anything, okay?" she quickly snapped back, and the smile drifted from Catherine's face.

Sara picked up her cell phone, when it began to ring, reading "Grissom".

"Hey Grissom." Sara responded.

"Alison's father, Brian is in the interview room, would you like to take it?" Grissom, unaware of Sara's emotion asked.

"No. Can you take it this time?"

"Yeah. Are you alright?"

"I'm fine. Really, just not in the mood to do it. Plus, you have all the evidence notes in your folder." Sara quirked.

----------------

In the interrogation room, there sat Grissom, Brian, and his lawyer.

"I'm Gil Grissom.. Crime Lab. I have a couple questions for you.." Grissom began.

"You were at your ex-wife's house the night she died, where did you go afterwards?"

"The the pub down the road. We fought. I was suppose to take Alison this weekend, but I had a... Date with my girlfriend." He responded.

"Did you have a glass of wine with her?"

"Yeah. She poured me a glass. I didn't drink much. Wine isn't exactly my type of drink - I'm Heineken kind of guy. When I told her I couldn't take her, she snapped. Grabbed my girlfriend's "Nightgown" I bought her earlier in the day. The damned thing cost me $30.00, after that I just picked up the shredded dress, and left. I swear. I heard Alison running up the stairs, I felt bad enough that we had woken her up or something, but for her to hear us fight..." Brian finished.

"It was abnormal, though was it?" Grissom squished his eyes together, slightly.

"No. We fight everytime I see her. Everytime. She tends to get violent, so I usually just walk away from her."

"Do you use Zoloft?" Grissom asked.

"No. My daughter... God rest her soul. She used Zoloft, I won't lie, she was attention seeking - she thought by claiming to be depressed she'd get the attention she "deserved". After a while, I couldn't take it anymore. She wasn't getting along with Beatrice, my girlfriend. Her tantrums reminded me of Alison.. When she was three. I told her to go back to her mother's. And I regret it." Brian began crying.

"So, because she was striving for a little bit of attention, you kicked her out?" Grissom's eyebrow raised.

"No more Questions, Gil." Brian's lawyer glared.

-------

Back in the breakroom, Sara picked up her cell phone, and dialed a phone number. "Catherine" it read..

Was she finally going to break the news, without Grissom? Did she want to talk to Catherine, she needed a friend.

---------------------

There you go, my lovely fans! :lol:

oooo will she won't she....
aww you called us lovely how sweet of you
your story is lovely
i love it
more soon please :)

Chapter Ten
----------

Catherine was nearly out of the lab when her cell phone buzzed, "SIDLE" it read.

"Sara?" Catherine answered, shocked.

"Yeah. Hi Catherine.. I thought I'd take you up on your offer to talk.. Do you have time?" Sara whimpered.

Catherine looked puzzled, Greg standing next to her, "Yes. I'll be right there." she answered. "Greg.. Something important came up, can you go to the crime scene yourself? Just remember, don't collect any of the sewage.. Wait for me, just look around, alright?" Catherine demanded, and walked off.

"Sara!" Catherine exlaimed.

"Hey Cath."

"I can't talk for long, I just sent Greg out on the field by himself... You know what that usually leads to." Catherine smirked.

"It won't take long.. I have to go with Grissom to the crime scene in a few minutes." Sara smiled.

Catherine comforted Sara, just a like a good friend should. She reached out to Sara, and put her hand on hers. She noticed the ring, and stared at it for a minute before asking...

"Sara... Is that a ring?" Catherine's eyes widened.

"Yeah it is. It's from.. from.."

"Grissom?" Catherine interrupted.

"H...How'd you know?"

"Well, I don't mean to be the barrier of bad news, but we're CSIs, Sara. We didn't need to investigate your flirty looks, and constant not-so-direct affection." Catherine's eyes stared into Sara's.

Sara lowered her head. She wasn't ashamed of the relationship. Everyone knew, and it was their fault they didn't tell them sooner.

"So, are you guys getting married or something?" Catherine asked.

"No. This was just a sentimate. But I don't know what to do. I wanted to tell everyone, Grissom's afraid he'll lose his job."

"Well, if he was going to lose it, it'd be long gone. We've all had chats about this, including Ecklie. We aren't exactly cheering you guys' on, but we're supportive. You could have came to me, Sara. I'm your friend, I will always look out for you.. Wether you're with a guy, sitting on the side of the road crying, or in money troubles. We're kind of like.... Sisters, you and I. While we don't always get a long, we're always there to help. With my rape case a few months ago, you came without question, and when you first came to Vegas... I knew we'd be great working together. Only you and I can tackle the stupidest suspects, right?" Catherine soothed Sara's emotions.

Sara simply smiled, one last tear fell from her face, onto her lips. She got up, "Thanks Catherine. You better get back to your case. Greg's probably got the officers in a frenzy." Sara smiled..

Catherine got up, walked out of the breakroom, and left the building.

----------------

Sara arrived at the crime scene, where there stood Grissom investigating the outside one last time before they took the yellow "CRIME SCENE" tape off.

Grissom walked around the inside of the house, double checking every square inch. The fireplace was burning.. Two wine glasses. She was in night wear.. Grissom spoke softly to himself, [/i]She must have been expecting someone... But who?[/i]

"Talking to yourself again, Grissom?" Sara joked as she walked up behind him.

"Yeah. She must have been expecting someone, Sara. You don't get dressed up, light your fireplace, two glasses of wine - just to sit on your couch."

"Some people do it. It's normal for a woman to sit down and read a book, drinking a glass of wine before bed." Sara smiled.

"Yes - but two seperate glasses." Grissom pondered.

"Brian already us that he had some wine, she poured it for him." Sara stood still.

"I know - it just seems off."

It was cold inside the house. The heat hadn't been turned on since the crime.

"Hey. Stop. I'm warning you!" yelled the police officer outside the house.

"STOP. NOW." as he drew his gun.

Grissom ran out of the house, Sara watching, then followed.

"What's going on out here?" Grissom asked.

"This guy, he's trying to get in the house."

"Brian?" Grissom asked, shocked.

"Yeah. I want to get Alison's clothes. She needs her Mr. Cuddles, you know how nine year olds are.." Brian joked.

"No, I don't. And this is a working crime scene.. You can come back later and get Mr. Cuddles" Grissom mocked.

Brian rolled his eyes, and began to walk away, "You know, the bitch is better off dead"

Grissom and Sara shared an all-knowing eye-look. For someone who simply walks away from a fight, surely can't be too happy the mother of his children is dead.

"Well, someone has some built up anger, don't ya think?" Sara smiled, as they continued back into the house.

"I'm going up the girl's room, take a second look." Sara walked up the stairs, quietly.. Almost tip-toeing. Shining her flashlight on every corner of the hallway stairs that lead to the small room of a nine year old. Before entering the room, she noticed a red drop on the edge of the door, they had missed this the first time around. "Grissom.. I've got blood" Sara yelled, as she swabbed it in. She looked around, the teddy bear blankets, the doll set in the corner, and on the wall was a hanging picture of a small Alison and her mother.. Sara looked, studying the picture. She took it off the wall and held it in her hands, as tears began to fall off her face once again.

Sara turned around and walked back down stairs.

"Grissom, I have something to tell you."

Grissom looked up from the fireplace he was cautiously staring at, hoping to find a new piece of evidence. Sara's eyes met with Grissom's, as he saw the tear drop fall from her face.

-----------

*hands cookes to everyone*

Back