Does Flack Love Danny?

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Jan 25, 2008.

1. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

But, if Danny was a female and they acted exactly the same toward each other, would you think there was something past friendship? I think that was the point of putting that option on the poll; do we tend to automatically look at the way men act/react with other men differently than how we look at the way men act/react with women under the same circumstances? If that's what you're meaning and I'm misunderstanding, I apologize.

2. snowbird

snowbird Witness

No I definitely think that we would view things differently if it were a male/female interaction. I think I just overthought that option. To me changing Danny into a woman would cause more than just physical changes, it would change his personality as well, and would that personality then be one that Flack would friend. Does that make any sense?

3. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

That makes perfect sense, and it's an interesting point to think about.

4. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Would Danny be that different if he was a girl? :lol: ;) That's a good point, though, and one I hadn't thought of.

Another thing I thought of...if Flack were asked to characterize his feelings for Danny, do you think he'd use the word love? In a moment of honesty of course. How do you think Flack would characterize his feelings for Danny, and how much he does for Danny?

5. miss_blue

miss_blue Lab Technician

True friendship and commitment to a a person, can only be summarized in one word: love! I have a close friend of the same sex, I love her in a non-sexual way and I would do anything for her. The same with Flack. Poor Flack, he does so many things for Danny, and the latter doesn't even pay back.. *sigh*. After "All in the Family" I would say that love is in the middle (in a non-sexual way).

If Danny was a girl..."she" would complain a lot more :)) and if Danny was a girl, I would probably put her in the same pot with Lindsay.. and Flack would ignore her too and hook up with Angell a lot faster :D

6. Top41

I don't know; Danny's pretty whiny as is. :lol: But like I said up-thread, I think we would be harder on Danny if he was a woman. He kind of treats Flack the way Lindsay treats him (Danny), and a lot of us are hard on Lindsay. Granted, Danny is genuinely sweet and caring in ways Lindsay isn't, but I still think we'd be harder on him as a woman than we are now.

But I do think Flack loves Danny, whether it's sexual or not. Flack has done way more for him than he'd do for an average buddy he shoots the shit with at work or plays hoops with now and then. Flack goes out of his way for Danny time and time again, and does a lot to make sure Danny is safe and tries to make him happy. If that's not love, what is?

7. CrushinOnMesser

CrushinOnMesser Dead on Arrival

I answered yes to everything.

I do think Don, in one way or another, is in love with Danny. I think they have a strong friendship, and Don always seems to feel responsible for Danny. There have been countless times where Danny has needed someone, some help or reassurance and it's always been Don ready to provide that. It's almost abusive, the way Danny doesn't provide the same comfort. I really think there's something deeper going on whether it's brotherly or maybe sexualy, I don't know. But I'm sure there's something there.

There have been instances that I thought that Don was looking at Danny funny or oddly. Actually, I'm sure other's have spotted him almost ogling at him. (short scene in "Love run Cold")

If Danny was as Danielle, I would absolutely think, more than I already do, that there was this whole unrequitted or unspoken love between them. (I honestly don't need him to be a her to think it's a possibility, but if that was the case more people would get the same idea.) It would be clear as day that there was something going on there. It already is, but the question does pose an interesting situation.

8. Top41

Whatever it is, it definitely seems to be one-sided or at least lopsided in that it's always Flack going out his way for Danny and never vice versa. We've never seen Danny do one nice thing for Flack, whereas the list of what Flack has done for Danny is quite long. I think whatever the feelings Flack has for Danny--whether ones of friendship or romance--Danny does take advantage a bit by always calling on Flack or always turning to Flack when he needs help.

Flack's staring is one thing I'm definitely stuck on for how it could be explained other than romantically. There are scenes and screencaps that really illustrate it so blatantly.

I honestly and truly believe that if Danny was Danielle, everyone would be talking about how Flack is totally smitten with Danielle. When a male character goes out of his way for a female character or a female character always turns to a male character for comfort and support, we automatically assume there are romantic feelings there. I bet if you substituted "Character X" and "Character Y" for Danny and Flack in some scenes--like "Love Run Cold" or "All in the Family"--and people didn't know the sex of the two characters, people would assume Y was in love with X.

And let's face it, Danny brings the drama and gets into more dangerous situations than the biggest damsel in distress. :lol:

9. CSI_in_training

CSI_in_training CSI Level Two

The poll was closed so I didn't get to vote but I'm gonna speak my mind anyway.
    I think that Flack loves Danny in the sense that he care deeply about him. Flack always seems to treat Danny as more than a friend, and almost like a brother. They are close enough to share almost everything, like was said at the begining. Flack is there for Danny when Danny screws up, or just needs a friend, and they spend a lot of time together. Whether it's anything more than a deep friendship is left up the interpretation of the viewer, and as it was said that this is not a shipper/slasher discusion, I will leave it at that.
    What I do think is that Flack would probably risk his life to help Danny, and Danny would do the same for Flack. In my opinion that's love.

10. Top41

Agreed. That sums it up really nicely!