Destroyed Remains: LV CSI FanFic

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Waiting, Apr 18, 2007.

1. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

Nice update :D

I like the new guy. I hope Catherine takes him up on his offer.

Great job!

2. MrsWillows

MrsWillows Rookie

Im glad you decided to write some more! it took you so long but im happy with the new update, i hope this new guy wont bring any troubles for Cath, she has enough.
    And really, continue this soon!

3. CathStokes

CathStokes Head of the Day Shift

Update soon hun. This is really good :)

4. ninja_sweet

ninja_sweet Dead on Arrival

I finally spent some time and got caught up with this story. You need to post again.

5. Waiting

Waiting CSI Level One

**** thanks everyone for the kind reviews. This update will include more of my orginal character, and I hope he won't come across as too annoying or pushy. I hope you like...and my next chapter will get more involved with the other characters as well. I sort of missed not mentioning Nick, Grissom, Sara, and the others of course. But... I think this chapter is pretty interesting. There is also a small flashback scene as well. Let me know what you think please!!! Reviews are always helpful!

Chapter 8

“I thought you were going to stand me up,” Mark replied jovially as he stood up when she approached his table. He beamed a smile in her direction as she managed a small fleeting smirk back at him before she took a seat directly in front of him.

“I won’t lie… I did think about it!” She let out a breath as she grabbed a menu. “So, what’s good here?”

“My favorite is the Titanic because I’m just big on corned beef, and well their Russian dressing is just amazing,” he stopped as he tilted her menu down to look at her face. “So if you are looking for a recommendation and you like corned beef… the Titanic is the way to go.”

“You know your stuff.”

“What can I say? I’m very well-rounded,” he joked as he cleared his throat. She looked up in time to catch his fleeting look upon her. Smiling lightly, she gently closed her menu and placed it directly in front of her. “I’m going to run with your choice.”

“Good call, I think you will be very pleased.”

It did not take long before they had ordered all their food, and they sat in an awkward silence. She glanced out the window as her mind traveled back to Ecklie from earlier today. He seemed to be escalading with his sexually intrusive behavior towards her, and she found herself wondering if he would overly cross the line with her. “Something is surely eating you?” Even though he whispered, just the statement alone alarmed her.

“Excuse me?” Her face hardened briefly as she leaned further back in her chair as if to create more distance between them.

“I just mean, it’s obvious something is really bothering you,” he gently offered with a raised hand. “I didn’t mean anything bad by what I said earlier.”

“Well, don’t try to read me.”

“That’s sort of my job you know. It’s a habit.”

“What… what the hell do you want from me?” She shook her head angrily as she threw her napkin on the table. “Did they put you up to this?” She asked as she leaned towards him with heated cheeks.

“I’m not sure I’m following…” he started before she chuckled disbelievingly at him.

“How much green did you get for this,” she started as she angrily shook her head. “To drill me for answers? You know… to trick me into submission?”

“Catherine, I don’t know what you are talking about.” His whole body language seemed to be taken aback as he shifted further away from her as the waitress brought the food, and placed it in front of them.

Looking away, she stared out the window and noticed a happy smiling couple holding hands as they walked by. “I’m sorry… I just don’t know who to trust. I guess I’m paranoid.”

“I would have never noticed!” He whispered so casually it took her a moment to register his joke. She smirked in his direction until she burst into a fit of laughter. Her stomach and chest began to hurt with each vibrated sound she emitted. After her laughter calmed, she finally took a small bite of her sandwich. “Oh my… this is good,” she whispered as her eyes closed in delight.

“I know my food!”

“Yes, you do! I can’t believe I’ve never been here before.”

“Let’s make this a ritual.”

“What?” Catherine asked before she took a sip of her tea.

“Meet me here… every Monday afternoon. It could be our little secret.” His eyes brightened as he took a sip of his water.

She just stared at him for a moment as she slowly shook her head. “I can’t Mark.”

“Because of your boyfriend?”

“Well… partly that, but my job is unpredictable.”

“Are you serious about it?” He asked quietly as his stare penetrated through her.

Her mouth opened in wonder as her tongue reached out and touched her upper lip. She felt partly confused on what exactly he was asking her. Was he referring to Grissom? Or her job? She felt completely thwarted as her eyes drifted down to her plate. Regardless of what his question was Catherine did not know how to answer it. Scratching her eyebrow, she cleared her throat to end the silence that suddenly surfaced.

“Well?”

“Mark… I, well my job is very serious to me.”

“That wasn’t what I was asking you.”

Her eyes quickly found his intense blue ones as she shifted in her chair. “I’m not going to go out with you.”

“Did I ask?”

“No, but why are you asking me about Grissom?”

“He finally has a name.”

Her cheeks reddened as she angrily looked away. Who the hell was this man sitting before her? He seemed to be judging her, and she did not like it one bit. “What are you getting at?” Her question was a mere growl.

“That you don’t look like a woman in love.”

“I don’t know what I am,” the words slipped from her mouth before she had a chance to register them. Her anger was slowly simmering to a boiling point as he somehow managed to get her to answer him truthfully. “Grissom and I, well… we are complicated, and I don’t think this is any of your business.”

“Then what is my business?”

“What?” Catherine asked quietly as she finally looked at the man sitting before her. How was it that he was able to knock her off her senses or to throw her through such a loop she was utterly confused? She was left with just rambles after his simple questions.

“What do you feel comfortable discussing?”

“This isn’t a matter of comfort! It’s a matter of me not wanting to discuss my delicate unraveling of myself. My job is in turmoil! I’m being charged with sexual misconduct, and I’ve been de-promoted. Not to mention it seems I have the whole police squad against me. Grissom wasn’t there to back me when he should have, and worse he didn’t believe me. Everything just has me wondering if any of this is at all right. Is my job worth fighting for? The latest news is I have to report to an assigned psychologist from work. It’s just a big mess.”

“Who’s accusing you?”

“I shouldn’t be talking about this,” Catherine started as she rose from her chair. “This was a bad idea, and talking just isn’t HELPING.” She grabbed her belongings as she headed to the door of the restaurant. Everything seemed to be on overload, and she felt like she was carrying the weight of the world on her shoulders. Her knees felt like rubber, and she clutched tightly onto the door as her world seemed to slowly spin out of control. Her knees buckled under her weight and before she knew it; she felt herself plummeting to the ground as numbness settled in, and her world turned into blackness.

~<3~<3~<3~<3~<3~<3~<3~<3

Her head was spinning as she slowly lifted it, and the small amount of light from the lamp was piercing if not blinding. Her shaky hand reached up to her head, and that was when she noticed the predicament she was in. Looking down, the concept of being naked did not escape her as she looked around the room as her chin quivered slightly. Pulling the sheet around her frail body, she slowly stood and walked to the chair where her purse was sitting. Her hands quickly rummaged through its contents, and upon inspection she immediately flipped her purse over in a mad pursuit of what was missing. Her wallet was missing, and her heart was hammering in her chest with the realization that her cashed pay check was missing along with it. Her hand covered her face as she looked down, and that was when something else caught her attention. A small golden, ripped package was barely sticking out from the edge of the bed. Eyebrows furrowed in confusion, she slowly picked it up, and immediately dropped it when realization hit her troubled heart.

Her body glistened from her obvious drugged state, and she continued to look around with confusion laced with disgust. The room was small, and overshadowed with eerie darkness except for the small amount of light provided from the lamp next to the bed. The walls that were once possibly an off white colored seemed to suck in the harsh yellowish color of nicotine from being a smoking room. Shame was slowly tugging at her heart as she swallowed hard, and quickly found her way into the bathroom only to release the sickened feeling that had webbed its way into the pit of her stomach. It felt like forever that she was lying on the cold barren floor in the bathroom before she slowly eased herself from the toilet. Grabbing a hold of the walls to provide her with balance, she re-entered the nightmarish bedroom as the sobs overtook her body in convulsions.

Eyes popping open, Catherine tried to sit up abruptly as Mark coerced her back down. “Not so fast, you just passed out,” he whispered as he pushed her hair out of her face. The last thing she wanted was to be touched. The last thing she wanted was to be stuck in some restaurant with all eyes on her. “An ambulance is on the way. It shouldn’t be too much longer.”

“What?” She barely managed as she tried to sit up again. “No… I’m fine.” She pushed his hand away as she crawled to a standing position.

“Catherine, please be reasonable.”

She shot him a look as she pushed through the restaurant door as the owner came running out after her. “Miss…miss, an ambulance is on the way. You can’t leave.”

“Thank you, but that won’t be necessary. Please go attend to your other customers. I promise I’m fine. He’s,” Catherine whispered as she pointed to Mark. “He’s going to take me to the hospital.”

“Are you sure?” The owner asked in disbelief.

Catherine smiled as she shook her head yes.

“As you wish.”

“I’m taking you to the hospital?” Mark questioned after they were once again alone.

“No… your not. I’m going home.”

“You’re not driving. Don’t be ridiculous at least let me take you home!”

“Thanks, I think I can manage,” Catherine retorted as she threw her purse over her shoulder and walked to her vehicle. She felt a bit wobbly as she neared her car, and thought better of driving herself. Something was definitely off, and placing others in danger was an idiotic decision.

“Damn it, Let me help you.”

Catherine closed her eyes as she handed over her car keys to Mark. “Fine, but I swear if you try anything. If you make any sort of move on me thinking you can get away with it because I’m at a disadvantage… I will ruin your ass.”

“Cut me some slack here!”

She immediately turned towards him as her hair flew over her shoulder. “The last time I did that for a man… I regretted it. I got screwed literally,” she growled as her cold eyes pierced through him.

She felt his eyes upon her as she angrily walked ahead in the parking lot. She could not believe she just blubbered that out loud. She was not sure what she just admitted to, because regardless of what she thought happened that night with McKean; she could not prove anything. She ran that night when she woke up in the motel, and she never looked back. She reported nothing, and remained silent. She willingly took a pill from him which she felt made her guilty of anything that happened afterwards regardless if she remembered it or not. She had the beginning and the ending, but everything in between was gone. A few small clues of what ‘could’ have happened such as an opened condom wrapper and waking up naked is something she refused to talk about or much less admit to. It was easier to move on and try to forget; even though, forgetting was not possible.

“You got screwed literally? What exactly do you mean by that?”

“Mark… just let it go. It didn’t mean anything.”

“A woman doesn’t say something like that, and then for it to mean nothing.”

“Don’t try and psycho-analyze me,” she whispered as she opened her passenger door with more force than what was needed. How did she get herself in this predicament to begin with? She should have never come on this chance encounter of dinner with him because all it did was open up old wounds. Wounds so deep, she did not know how to heal them.

“Someone really played a number on you,” Mark declared as he took a seat in the driver’s chair. He laid his palms on the steering wheel as he looked over at her for confirmation.

“Why can’t you let this go?”

“Because something happened back there in the restaurant.”

“You are turning this into something much bigger than it needs to be.”

“Am I?” Mark questioned as he started her vehicle.

“Let it go, Mark.”

“I’ll let it go on one condition,” he whispered to Catherine.

“Fine… what’s your condition?”

“I want you to tell me who McKean is? You mumbled the name before you came to when we were in the restaurant.”

6. ladyhunter

oo I really like the update

the flashback scene was too good.
    The Undersheriff has it out for her.

Good Job!!!

7. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

Glad you updated...post more soon so we can see what's next!

8. CSIJunkie5

CSIJunkie5 Victim

LOVE the fact that you put Catherine together with someone...she never has a boyfriend. Ecklie should be shot. So should McKean. I can't stand Ecklie on the show. More soon!

9. MrsWillows

MrsWillows Rookie

I was waiting for this...
    I cant wait for the next chapter, i hope it wont take you so long.
    This is just great.

10. Waiting

Waiting CSI Level One

**** Thanks so much for all the kind reviews. I hope you all like, and just be patient... because I'm writing as I go now. I do have an ending planned out... and am looking forward to it...hhunter helped me with an idea. Although the ending is not near. Please keep reviewing.****

Chapter 9

She remained silent as she listened to the soft hum of her vehicle; just wishing for this dreadful day to end. She was physically tired, and it didn't seem like tomorrow was going to be any better considering she had to meet with a departmental shrink. She was in no mood to play conditional games with Mark, and she wasn't about to talk about McKean with a near complete stranger. He already knew too much.

"Come on Catherine, who is he?"

"I'm not going to play into this with you," she forced herself to say as she continued to look out the window. A nearby tree and it's fragile limbs were being tossed around from the unrentling wind as one harshly snapped on the windshield in front of her. Jumping slightly from the sudden loud noise, the fear soon evaded her once again. "I think you should just go. I'm fine now."

She felt his soft eyes upon her, and for some odd reason it made her feel weak and small. Something she never was. Something she didn't want to become. "What did he do to you?" He asked quietly as his hand reached out and lightly squeezed her shoulder. Shrugging away from his touch, she opened her passenger door quickly and slammed it shut. It didn't take much longer until she roughly yanked open her driver's door, and her stare spoke volumes before she uttered her next words. "Just go."

He was reluctant to get up, but finally stood easing his way from her car. "Whatever you want. I'm only trying to help you."

"I don't need your help."

"Everyone needs help from time to time regardless if they care to admit it or not. Denial only takes you so far before you crumble. You need to think about who you want on your side when you do fall."

"Oh that is rich. So if you strike out with kindness; you move to using your bull shit shrink talk?"

"Whatever," Mark started as he held his hands up in obvious annoyance. "I tried, and I'm through with helping." Catherine watched as he walked off in anger, and she blew out a big sigh as she threw her head against the plush head rest of her seat as she sank in her driver's chair. She was not trying to be difficult or non-appeasing, but he came on a bit too strong for her. Even if his intensions were to be helpful, she wasn't in a mind frame to be accepting towards it. She barely knew him, and considering she hadn't opened up about any of the details regarding McKean to the people that knew her best; she felt like she wasn't being unreasonable.

Pulling out of the parking lot, she headed home hoping that Grissom had to work a double because the last thing she wanted was to have to deal with him on top of everything else. Fifteen minutes later, she was pulling into an empty driveway and she was thankful for that. Yawning with tiredness, she walked into a dark house and it was times like these she wished she owned a dog. The kindness and love that a dog gave their owner was something she missed having ever since Dafodil ran away many moons ago. Her and Eddie spent weeks in search of her, but came up empty handed. She never really ever got over it, and another dog was out of the question. It just wouldn't have been the same.

Shrugging out of her clothes as she entered her bedroom, she turned on the shower and quickly emerged herself under the hot jet of water. As the water moistened through her hair, her mind eased itself from the day she had. Her thoughts seemed to go down the drain as she massaged the shampoo through out her long hair. Keeping her eyes closed the whole time, her body soon relaxed as well. The hot water seemed to do the trick, and the last thing she wanted to do was get out but she was exhausted. Shutting the water off, she stepped out of the tub into the thick steam that her shower had created. She quickly rubbed the water out of her hair with a towel, and then dried off her body before she put on a pair of flannel bottoms with a green tank top.

She was in the process of putting on a pair of matching fluffy socks when her cell phone vibrated on the nightstand next to where she was sitting on the bed. "Willows," she automatically spoke into her phone after she opened it.

"Catherine, its Grissom. Can we talk?"

"I'm tired. I'm almost in bed."

"I'm standing out side of your door. I need to see you."

"Griss, this better be good," she started as she walked out of her room towards the front door. As she opened the door, Catherine closed her phone shut. Something seemed off with him as he side stepped her, and headed to her kitchen. He was pacing back and forth, and kept his head down as he seemed to be contemplating on what to say. Perhaps he came over to break up with her.

She waited patiently until his blue eyes finally met hers. The look on his face was indescribable as he walked towards her, and ran his hands through her damp hair. Without hesitation his mouth seeked out hers as his lips fell upon hers. One hand trailed down her arm and settled on her waist as he pulled her closer into him. Her heart hammered in her chest not from pleasure, but from a mixture of confusion laced with an unbalanced fear. She wondered if his touch had never felt right as she pulled away from the kiss.

But his stare was still intense, and she nearly gasped as he bent down on one knee. She looked around the kitchen briefly wondering if this was actually happening to her or perhaps she was stuck in some sort of horrible dream. "Gil, what are you doing," she whispered more from shock than anything else. A big part of her wanted to shout at him to stand up as her eyes turned cloudy with emotion. This could not be happening, and she took a small step back as she watched him clear his throat before his mouth opened. What she dreaded most was about to become official as his hand pulled free from his pocket displaying a small box. She could only watch on as his hand shakily opened the blue velvet box that contained what he assumed was her future. The princess cut diamond seemed only to mock her as it glinted from the light in the kitchen. "Catherine, I've dreamed of this moment and I think it's taken me so long to get here because I was afraid. Afraid my proposal would never amount to being enough, or that I would completely screw it up. Afraid with a sick sense of dread that maybe you would reject me or turn me away even though I know you love me," he stopped briefly as he grabbed her left hand. "Catherine, I love you more than anything and I'd love to have you as my wife."

The room filled with an awkward silence as Catherine lightly pulled her hand free from Grissom's clammy hand. Looking down, the surge of guilt seemed overwhelming as she took in an unsteady breath. She dreaded most what she was about to do, and she briefly thought that perhaps it would be better to tell him yes. At least then, she wouldn't be hurting a dear friend that she treasured deeply. It seemed a small price to pay, but she knew saving face now would only hurt him worse in the end. "Gil," she mostly mouthed as her eyes drifted shut, and her hands took solace while embracing each other.

"Don't," was all she barely heard as her eyes flew open. The look on his face made her wonder if perhaps she made the wrong decision. How could she ever make this right? It felt impossible as her heart crashed along with his into a spiraling world of failure. "Gil... I," she started as her chin quivered, but she was quickly interrupted.

"Spare me the speech Catherine. I don't want to hear how there is nothing wrong with me. You owe me more than that. You owed me more than this. Instead you let me fall into this false pretense that you felt the same way I did." His voice remained soft and calm although his body language depicted a completely different tone. Closing the box with a loud thud, he shoved it back in his pant pocket as he stormed towards her door.

"It's not like that," she hollered as she ran after him, and gently grabbed his arm. "Let me explain." She tried to plead as he pulled his arm free, and yanked open her door.

"I don't think so," he spouted as he continued out her door, and hit the unlock button on his small remote for his Denali. Climbing into his vehicle he barely had a chance to close his door as he reversed in a frenzy out of her drive way with his tires squealing briefly when he punched the gear in drive. "GIL," Catherine screamed as she ran down her drive way even though the realization of catching him was far from possible.

~<3~<3~<3~<3~<3~<3

Only a week had passed, but it felt more like an unbearable month as Catherine parked her car into the lab parking lot. She was supposed to see a departmental therapist last week; however, the one assigned had been out ill with the flu. Walking quietly and turning into what was considered the lobby of the therapist unit, she wished that for her therapist’s illness to leash itself upon her. To maddenly invade her body so grossly that she would fall ill for a larger part of a month.

Catherine stared at the receptionist as she giggled into her ear piece as she whispered something back. “You are so bad; I can’t talk about that now!” Another loud giggle was emitted as the receptionist hollered out loud. “Kevin!”

Rolling her eyes, Catherine tapped the counter top to get the other lady’s attention. Looking up abruptly, the other woman mouthed ‘I’m sorry,” before she hung up the phone with Kevin. “I’m really sorry about that. What can I help you with?”

“I’m here to see Dr. Brymore. I have an appointment at 1pm.”

“Catherine Willows?”

“Yes.”

“Please take a seat, She will be with you in a moment,” the receptionist offered as she smiled briefly before she picked up the phone. “Dr. Brymore… your one o’clock appointment is here.”

Taking a seat, Catherine flipped through a magazine pretending to read but was actually too consumed with what was about to transpire to actually pay any attention to the small print. She could not help but wonder how painful this was going to be. She was going to be expected to talk about the situation involving her attack at the crime scene and most likely about the whole mess with McKean. Was she supposed to trust this woman enough to open up about any of this? She seriously doubted it. Life was never that easy or was it?

“Ms. Willows?”

Looking up abruptly, Catherine was shocked to see the woman actually looked to be around the same age as herself. Her brown hair was speckled with a light mixture of grey hair, and was currently pulled into a low setting ponytail. Light freckles seem to be sprinkled out almost evenly along her pale skin with green eyes that eliminated with each smile she displayed. Her smile seemed kind, and before Catherine knew it she was following behind as the therapist led the way to her office.

The door shutting behind Catherine sounded like a loud gunfire that exploded in her head, and she could not help but turn towards the wooden door that now made the room seem smaller than it actually was. “First time?”

Turning slowly around, Catherine stood as she eyed the many different displays of furniture to sit upon.

“Take a seat anywhere. Some people prefer couches while others like a recliner, a rocking chair or even perhaps a love seat.”

Catherine took a seat on the beige love seat being that it was directly next to her. Usually she would be one to sit back and just recline against a piece of furniture; but at this moment, she was on edge and sat just as she felt.

“First off, try to relax. I’m going to take things slow, and probably slower with you than I normally would with a client.”

“Why is that?”

“I’m trained to see things, and for starters you are far from comfortable. Your body language speaks volumes. I never force a patient into an area that they aren’t ready for. Mentally speaking that is. I probe yes, but I let my patients set their own pace. I’m not here as an enemy, but more as a confidant.”

“Confidant?”

“Yes, Catherine. I’m here to help you. Your type of job puts you through stressful situations on a daily basis. Your ex-husband was a victim of a crime?”

“How do you know about Eddie?”

“I have your file Catherine. I have a job to do here, and getting to know my patients is only part of it.”

“What does Eddie have to do with this?”

“How come you didn’t see a therapist then?”

“I didn’t need one. Just like I don’t need one now.”

“And that is something for me to determine. It’s not like I’m here to hold you back either. You aren’t paying me. The department is.”

“That’s what I’m afraid of.”

“What do you mean?”

“The department controls this, and I have no say so.”

“Wrong, we control this together. The department only implements what they feel is right. Obviously Detective Brass had good reason to request this for you, but no one can really keep you here unless I feel you need it.”

Catherine looked down, and fidgeted with the strap to her purse. The last place she wanted to be was here, and she just hoped the hour would pass quickly.

“So, why do you feel Brass requested you to see me?”

“Because he’s following protocol.”

“Protocol for when you were attacked at the crime scene?”

“I was fine.”

“You were nearly a victim of a sexual assault. That had to be scary.”

“Look, I dealt with it. It was scary, but I surpassed it. And dwelling over it isn’t going to make it any better.”

“How did you deal with it?”

“What?” Catherine asked confusingly as her breathing turned heavy. She was expecting to hear something different not to have to recite how she handled her own problem.

“How did you deal with your assault?”

“I wasn’t assaulted,” Catherine hollered as her cheeks flushed red.

“You dealt with your issue by denying it?”

“Don’t twist my words into benefiting what you want to hear.”

“Well, I’m confused then. I have your file here, and the pictures and the other evidence show a completely different story than what you are saying.”

“What happened to working through things at my own pace?”

“So you haven’t dealt with it. At least tell me that much.”

Catherine stared at her therapist with her mouth opened in shock. She was relentless to prove her point, but a point that was well made. “I guess I don’t know how I feel about the whole ordeal.”

“How does the attack make you feel?”

“It angers me when you call it that.”

“Okay, how would you like me to refer to it?”

“It… it was a mishap. Just an eye opener so to speak. I should have been more alert, and that is a mistake that I will never make again.”

“It’s not your fault.”

“I’m not really casting blame… just saying I know how to handle myself better in the future,” Catherine whispered as she looked at her watch. It was nearly two, and she let out a breath of relief.

“You seemed relieved that it’s two,” Dr. Brymore whispered as she finished scribbling notes. “I want to see you twice a week. Would that be okay?”

“Is twice really necessary? I have a teenage daughter too.”

“Lindsey, right?”

Catherine stared yet again as she tried to find the correct words to speak. “Yes, that is right.”

“I have your file remember, and yes I think twice is necessary.”

11. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

aww darnit lol make up make up! I'm not a GCR but I want it anyway

How long do you think it will be? Just curious, I have no patience lol. I don't mean anything bad.

12. CathStokes

CathStokes Head of the Day Shift

I'm glad you updated. oh cath, you'll be fine.. *stares at you* right? :D

Update soon hun! <3

13. ladyhunter

great update

The Gil part took me off guard. I hope they make things right with each other.

Good job!

14. MrsWillows

MrsWillows Rookie

as always... i cant wait for what's next, i do love my GCR, but in this fic, Griss was acting kind of ruth, so he deserves to be treating bad lol

PS. thank god the ending is not near!, you're doing just great.

15. Waiting

Waiting CSI Level One

***Thanks for the reviews... I hope this update was considered sooner! I will warn you that... the end of this update was a shock for myself. :eek: Enjoy!***

Chapter 10

“Grissom, here is the report from Sara and…,” Catherine started before she was quickly interrupted.

“I don’t have time for this. Just set it on my desk, and Sara can give me a detailed account regarding the case later.” His tone was of a serious nature, and his body posture spoke volumes as he refused to acknowledge that she was even in the room. He continued to flip through the paperwork on his desk and his eyebrows furrowed further. “If that is all, I have things to do here.”

“Gil, can we not do this,” she whispered as she gently set the file on his desk. “The proposal was out of nowhere. You caught me completely…”

“Is this work related?”

She remained quiet as her throat restricted with emotion. With everything she was going through, she could not afford to lose him—her best friend. “Gil please, don’t do this.”

“You are working with Sara again tonight. She will update you on the case.” And with that, he side stepped her and walked past her leaving her alone in his office.

It took Catherine a few moments to compose herself as she watched him leave, and her emotions became daunting. Rubbing at her head as she desperately suppressed her tears, Catherine charged out of his room and made her way to the nearest restroom. Collecting herself over the sink, she gently splashed warm water over her face. Bracing her hands on the basin, she took in a deep breath as she squeezed her eyes shut.

“Catherine…, I’ve been looking for you. We have a case to get to,” Sara suddenly paused as she tilted her head at Catherine. “You okay?”

“I’m fine. I’ll meet you at your Denali in a few.”

Opening the door with the base of her back, Sara smiled lightly as she back peddled. “Okay, I will be waiting.”

Looking up in the mirror at her reflection, Catherine noticed the lines of defeat that was slowly forming on her face. Life seemed to be feeling unbearable and she did not realize how much the loss of Grissom would tear at her heart. It felt horribly lonely to know she did not have him on her side, but then through this whole ordeal with McKean she had felt his absence. What had she done? Maybe her feelings for him ran deeper than just a great friendship? She needed him. Regardless of her confusion, he had been apart of her for the better of twenty years. He had helped her through all her issues with Eddie by offering a comforting hand, a strong shoulder to cry on, a safe couch to sleep on, and more importantly he listened to her. Not to mention when Lindsey was born, he was the one that held her hand through the long intense hours of labor because Eddie was too high to make it home that night. Though she was married to Eddie, Grissom had always acted more like her husband than her own husband at the time. He was her safety net, and she felt she had lost everything of value.

Pulling away from the sink slowly and fleeing the bathroom, she dragged herself down the hallway to the locker room to grab her kit before heading outside to Sara who had been waiting on her. Opening the trunk of Sara’s vehicle she shoved her kit in the back, and then rounded around on the passenger side and hopped into the front seat silently.

She could feel Sara’s gaze upon her so she looked out the window to try and distant herself as much as possible. The last thing she wanted was to be around anyone much less have to talk to them.

“Cat?” Sara asked softly as she started her vehicle.

“Just drive,” Catherine whispered as she continued to look out the window. Then it occurred to her this whole situation had been reversed not that long ago when Hank had cheated on Sara. It was Sara that sat in a seat similar to this one, and told Catherine to ‘just drive’ dejectedly.

Sara stared at her briefly before she pulled the gear in drive, and exited the lab parking lot. The silence penetrated the cabin and Catherine was eager to jump out of the Denali when it pulled to a stop. Both women grabbed the kits from the back, and headed up to meet Brass in the parking lot of the Lazy Queens Motel when Catherine suddenly stopped walking. Her whole body turning rigid, Catherine’s mouth was invaded with a sour taste as her stomach threatened to lurch the last meal she ate hours ago.

Officer Pettler stood in front of the familiar Motel office as Brass questioned the manager from inside. Not only did Pettler cause Catherine’s heart to pitter patter in nervous fear, but the dreary office stirred a horrible memory within her as her breathing turned irregular.

Sara immediately stopped near her, but did not have a chance to respond as Pettler and Brass approached them. “Sara, Catherine…” Brass started as he took one look at Catherine and he gently touched her arm. “You okay?”

Catherine managed a fleeting smile as she shook her head yes. How the hell was she going to manage to get out of this one? This was the very hotel that she woke up naked and alone many years ago. This place was the start of her unsettling mess with McKean. A night she longed to forget, but terrifyingly enough could not remember.

“There has been a mistake,” Brass’ voice pulled Catherine from her overwhelming thoughts. “A mishap perhaps. The manager accidentally called 911 then hung up. The dispatcher called the number back but did not receive an answer. So that is why you were called out as well as me.”

“That’s a bit odd,” Sara whispered as her eyebrows drew in together.
    “The things people will do,” Pettler responded which caught Catherine’s attention. She looked up at him and his stare was focused in on only her. Her mouth opened in alarm as she realized that he must have known about this place.

“False alarm then,” Sara replied causing Catherine to look over at her. Taking a deep breath, she walked back towards the vehicle needing to get away. Disappear from the whole situation. Her mind was swarming with unwanted thoughts, and she found herself jogging slowly back to the vehicle. Setting her kit down near the back of the Denali, she ran both her hands through out her hair as she looked down trying to ease her thoughts away. Tonight was an obvious set up for her. How she got this case she wasn’t sure, but she dreaded knowing. Perhaps it was random, or maybe Catherine was requested.

“Catherine… what is going on?” Sara asked in worry.

“I’m just having an off night.”

“And it’s obvious! Why?”

She quickly picked up her kit, and shoved it into the rear of the vehicle leaving Sara only to follow what she just did. They both got into the car, and Catherine turned on the radio to help eliminate some of the silence. It wasn’t long until they were back on the road.

“Grissom proposed,” Catherine whispered out of nowhere causing Sara to quickly glance at her with her mouth open. She remained quiet waiting for Catherine to continue something she was not expecting to hear. “He was waiting for me to say yes, and I didn’t. I pulled my hand away and crushed him. I really hurt him Sara, and he wants absolutely nothing to do with me,” Catherine rambled without holding back. The words were flowing out of her mouth with little to no resistance. “And… I need him. I can’t do this alone. Almost everyone is against me with this whole McKean thing, and what a joke that tonight we show up at a scene that just happens to be a mishap. This wasn’t a simple case of an accident. This was to get my attention.”

“What do you mean?” Sara asked as she stared at Catherine with concern.

Looking out the window, she took a deep breath as she rubbed at her throbbing head. “I can’t go into the specifics Sara. But many years ago… I woke up here alone and naked not remembering a damn thing. I think I was with McKean, but I swear I don’t… I don’t recall sleeping with him,” her voice softened drastically as her voice shook with emotion.

Abruptly pulling the vehicle over and coming to a stop, Sara looked over at her. “Catherine what are you saying?”

She couldn’t speak as her lungs tightened causing her face to redden in panic. She did the only thing she knew to do, and harshly opened the passenger door as she unbuckled her belt. She ran towards the ditch gasping for air as she bent over trying to catch her breath. It didn’t take much longer until Sara was by her side wishing she knew what to do in order to help her. “Are you saying it wasn’t consensual?”

~<3~<3~<3~<3~<3~<3

“It’s done,” he whispered into his cell phone after he jumped into his car smiling.

“How did she take it?”

Pettler laughed snidely as he shifted in his seat watching as Brass ducked into his squad car. “Let’s just say that she didn’t handle it well at all,” he paused for the added emphasis. “She flipped.”

“Good. Are you ready for your next assignment?”

“How much will I get this time?”

“I will make it worth your while,” he snickered into the phone. “Triple what you got last time.”

“Triple?”

“Yes.”

“What’s the catch?”

“I want you to find someone to stalk her.”

“Stalk her?” Pettler asked as his grin widened. “I’d be willing to do that myself.”

“No… I want her terrorized by someone she doesn’t know.”

Pettler shifted in his seat as the heat spread through his groin area. “Any particulars in mind?”

“I don’t care what they do to her. Just find someone solid to do the job.”

“Done. I know someone that owes me a big favor that has a very tight lip.”

“Set it up discreetly. Your first installment will be given to you after the stalking begins.”