Debate/Dislike a Ship Thread -- CSI:Miami

Discussion in 'Shipper Central' started by lament, Aug 28, 2006.

1. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Re: The Great Ship Debate--CSI: Miami

I never actually thought about them in terms of a pairing, but they might have been okay.

Well, for the most part for me, they seem more brother/sister like (my opinion), but I can see where some would see the shippy stuff. There was that scene in that one ep where she asked him if he wanted to go get a beer after work and he said "you mean you're not mad at me because I heard we got into a huge fight" and she kind of winked at him and said "don't believe everything you hear". It could be interpreted as shippy if one wanted to see it that way. Another moment was in Going Under when Calleigh was ran off the road into the water. Later Ryan tells her he's glad she's okay and she replies, "thanks, babe". So, I guess some could see it with that too. Although in that particular episode, I believe there was something for almost every shipper where Calleigh is concerned. There was the Ryan moment, the Jake stuff, the nice moments with Eric and Horatio, etc.

I will admit that Jake had some issues, but who doesn't. :lol: I liked them together from the first ep he was in because I liked the chemistry between the actors for the most part. I at that point had never even thought of Calleigh with anyone (other than John Hagen, which had been canon at one point and maybe Peter if that was before, cant' remember). But whatever mistakes Jake has made in the past, I think that risking his life to bring her those guns in Resurrection was a very noble thing to do and in my mind makes up for any mistakes that he made in the past. And the fact that he said he was doing it for her and not for the case spoke volumes.

I for one love Jake because he's not perfect and there is that bit of "bad boy" aura to him in some ways (the motorcyle, the leather for example). That's appealing to some. That isn't to say that I don't like Eric too, I do. Though I didn't like Eric in the beginning, but I think that had more to do with the whole Roswell thing than anything else. I think I resented Jesse because I liked Izzy with Alex and they killed Alex off and I was bitter about that. :lol: I was much younger then anyway. :lol:

I have to respectfully disagree about the happy thing though. In my personal view, she seemed to smile the most and brightest with Jake and the only other man IMHO that made her form that bright a smile was her Daddy. :D But, I can understand that others don't see it that way. People interpret the scenes the way they want to and not everyone is going to interpret them the same way. And perhaps she'll smile that way around Eric in the future, who knows. As of yet though, I haven't seen that kind of smile JMO. :)

I do think with Cake though that it was kind of told in a way like "the one that got away" type of deal. For which character, I'm not sure, but I believe that's what the writers were trying to convey at one point. I'm not sure if they intended at first to make it go on as long as it did or to bring him in for a second ep. I think that may have been due to the chemistry between the actors.

I'm worried about that too. Even though I'm not a HH fan, I still worry about the whole yo-yo thing. Mostly I worry for Eric. He's been through so much and I'm worried that he might be a little fragile right now. And I know from experience that writers on various shows like to do the whole "they're together, now they're not, now they're back, now they're broken up again" thing. Example: Ross and Rachel on Friends. Many viewers waited for years to see them together and when they were finally together it wasn't long before they were apart. Then it was years before they had that drunken night together that produced a baby daughter. And even after the baby, it took a while for them to get together permanently (which was probably only done because the show was ending lol).

As much as I love Cake, it still bothered me to see that broken look on Eric's face in the ep where Calleigh kissed Jake in front of him, knowing he had feelings for her. She could have stopped Jake from kissing her and told him they'd talk in private later. While I was glad to see a kiss between C and J, I felt bad for Eric because of the way it was done.

I fear for the future because of knowing how writers like to do the yo-yo thing. I fear that if they decided to break E/C up (and I'm not saying they will) that they will write it as Calleigh being the one to break Eric's heart (and I say this because of the ep I mentioned above- I'm using that as an example) as opposed to both of them mutually deciding to end it. I know the writers like to go for the most shock value. And having them mutually decide its over (kind of like Lori/Declan on Kyle XY) is not something that these writers would do most likely. And if they do have his heart broken again, I worry what that is going to do to him. It makes me sad just the idea of seeing that heartbreaking look on his face again. So IF the writers decide to break them up, I would hope that they would do the whole mutual decision thing.

What can I say, I agree with all of this. :D The only thing I can add is that I think they'd make beautiful babies together. :lol: However, these are all good looking people, so I think babies would be gorgeous regardless of pairings lol. Good genes in that team, let's just say that. :lol:

This one isn't my cup of tea. I like them as friends though. They're another pair that seem very brother/sister-ish (as do Nat and Horatio) to me. But, that's just MHO.

Well, this is my absolute favorite ship of Miami and not only of Miami, but of the CSI franchise as a whole. I think they compliment each other quite well. The best Rave scene by far is the one where Maxine had to leave the lab. Ryan just looked so sad to see her go, so lost. :lol: I think that's probably what really got me to liking the idea of them together. :lol:

People make her a drunk in fics? I don't think I've read one of those. :lol: But, you bring up a nice point about her kookiness. I don't make her kooky enough in my fics. I tend to make her more normal. I think I need to work on that. :lol: Maybe I need to watch some BTVS eps again for inspiration on all things kooky (lot of kooky characters in that show lol). I do think they'd be adorable together. She is pretty blunt/honest, but I think the writers have lost touch with Ryan's awkwardness and naivety. He used to be a bit of a bumbling adorkable guy. They've allowed him to grow though and now he's more sexy and assertive and all of that. However, I sometimes miss the awkward, naive, innocent, wide-eyed guy that he once was. I do like the now Ryan too though. I just wish there could be a little balance there. :D

2. Orla_Dark

Orla_Dark CSI Level Two

Eden. I think that Nat and Eric (before shoot) was the ideal couple. They have great chemistry and passion, all what i don't see in E\C. Their feelings come naturally and Eric play jelous better when Natalia and Ryan have date. It was real jelous, he was really sorry for his words ("clear for landing").

CaRWash. They have their flirty\banter moments. They have great chemistry and if tptb don't afraid to go in that direction, we saw a great couple. Yeah, he screw up sometimes and she mad at him, but i always see it like she takes this to close to her heart and she always forgive him very quickly. And when he jokes she have that great smile, i saw that smile in Cake relationship too. That means Jake and Ryan can make her smile like no one else :D

RaVe. This pairing i don't see, sorry. I see them as co-wokers only, even no friends, just two people who works in one lab.

Cake. What can i say, i like Jake type guys. You know, bad guy on right side, or maybe it's because he have cool bike :D Spark? No, many, many sparks i see in that pairing. This relationship don't destroy Calleighs character, we just saw her in other light and i say thank you Jake for that. They have problems, who doesn't? In the end he always take her side and help her.

Horatio\Yelina. Oh, Yelina is gorgeous woman and the only one who i see with H. I still dreaming that they get together *sigh*

RaiN. He thought that she interested in him, but i'm not sure about it. I don't like them together, they don't have any spark, but i see a great friendship. Nat the only one member of team who always take his side. If something bad happen with him, i'm sure she would be first who notice it, because she isn't don't care. Nat the girl who worry about everyone, if everyone was like her, we saw a real team on the show.

EC. I don't like this ship, cuz it's destroy Calleighs character. It's doesn't look natural (like Cake or Eden), i still think that Eric\Calleigh doesn't belong to each other, Eric need another woman and relationship. Calleigh can find guy better. I don't say that Eric is bad, i think they don't fit. I start watching show from end of season 5, i don't have a ship prefer at that moment and i think "why they do that? it's odd choice", then our "great" Russian tv show us season 4 then season 5 again :lol: And when i saw what was before he got shot, i can say that they looks like brother and sister, who cares about each other, but it was all, nothing more. They don't have spark then, they don't have spark now and it still looks odd.

3. C.H.E.A.R.

C.H.E.A.R. Pathologist

Let's see. I first started watching the show when Ryan was there so I'm not that big of a fan of Speedle, so I definately don't see him with Cal.

First I was CaRWash all the way because I didn't initially see Cal and Eric together. Ryan being very cute and Cal cute too they'd make a good couple and I wrote fanfics about them being together.

Second was CaKe, cause Jake came around and I was like this is cool, I didn't mind it at all, but after a while it seemed to not work between them on screen so blah.

Thirdly and my fav ship that'll never change is EC. Around season 5 I got into the Cal and Eric ship. Actually I remember going to a site that had all the fanfics about the two in there and I got drawn to them and just couldn't go back from liking them. Now that all the drama has played out on screen:the two belong together (my opinion). I can imagin them kissing and marrying each other, no matter how weird it may sound to me now, but us as fans have to get used to it, cause I don't think we can change the writers views and how the future of the show will be... but some of us here believe that some of the writers read these boards, cause prayers have been answered. Anyway EC for me!

4. electra

electra Pathologist

I have mixed feelings becouse the friendship between Eric and Speed is one of my favorites things of the show but the dynamics could have been interesting.With E/N/R it was like I couldn't get the feeling of EDEN as a strong couple for me to root for them.It was fun but too quick for me to care.But at least it would have been fun with E/C/S.:drool: I can so imagine the faces of all of them!!

5. Ginnna

Ginnna Lab Technician

I started watching with Ryan there too. I looked into the series and found out about Speed and thought "well who cares, I like Ryan anyway". Then I started watching the first two seasons and thought "hey... this Speed guy is pretty cool". I definitely warmed up to him. I think you could too. Not saying you've gotta... just saying it could happen. :)

Can't say I'm with you on the CaRWash thing. Calleigh always seemed more like a sister to him than anything (for the most part) and... besides... I imagine Ryan with either Natalia or Valera (preferably the latter). :D

I was never a fan of Cake, though I admit that she WAS moderately happy with him for a while. I just didn't like his character, so I couldn't get into Calleigh's relationship with him.

Ah, Hiphuggers. My favorite too. I've watched most of the CSI:M episodes out of order, so I've been seeing scattered hints of this relationship throughout pretty much all of the seasons, but once I got caught up on the vast majority of the episodes, I could also put together the progression of their relationship. Two steps forward, one step back, one step forward, two steps back, three steps forward, two steps back, etc etc. These two have been dancing around this issue for a long time. I'm glad... well... I'm glad that 716 is airing soon. ;)

6. iloveEC

iloveEC Victim

I think I really like this thread. Lets see...how do I begin??

I love any pairing with Calleigh except Horatio and sometimes Ryan. But my all time, never ending, forever-and-a-lifetime couple will always be EC.
    They just work. I gotta admit I started watching this show LATE. As in the beginning of season 7 late. I wasn't ignorant of the show's exsistent but my interests in cop dramas changed during the summer and it all started with my obsession with Law and Order (all three franchises). I've watched a couple of epsiodes of Miami here and there when my sister had th remote but I never truly got hooked until September of last year. Needless to say, I am not lacking in the knowledge of all shippings and events throughout the series. When I like a show, I LIKE the show. I will stay home for hours watching the episodes I've missed just to catch up and only couple standing out to me was EC.
    Maybe that was because by season 7 that was the rising ship. But when I look back at it, I tend to favor the female lead in a show. I love the idea of a strong woman working in a male dominated work force and that was Calleigh for me. And then...Eric was just soooo sexy and delicious that I couldn't help but think of course these too HOT SOBS should get together and have beautiful Cuban-Russian-American babies.

As for EDeN, I don't like it. I honestly dispise this ship and I can say I am very adamant about that. But I'm not going to bash the couple and their followers. I guess I can understand why people like them. I just don't. I mean because I quickly favored Calleigh, I got territorial when Natalia came in and drove those CSI men wild. So since then I never really had interest in Natalia and her character-based episodes. But I am starting to tolerate her now that time is passing by and I am coming to terms with the fact that she won't be leaving the show anytime soon.

CaRWash: I don't know. I mean I guess, if you squint really hard then you could see it. I for one cannot. But I have read a couple of fics with them. Though after I read one fic where Ryan and Calleigh got together and then Eric became abusive and beat her, terrorized Ryan into staying away from her. I was like :wtf:. Don't mess with Eric!!

The DuCaine pairing never really appealed to me much but I would read a couple of their fics if the writing to good. And no Eric bashing! hehe.

Now I like the Cake ship. I feel like it gave Calleigh the reassurance to actually feel something. He opened up doors to her heart and I feel that he wa a stepping stone for greater things ...AHEM-Eric. I think Eric should thank Jake because Cal would probably be more reluctant to a relationship with Eric. Even if their friendship is the most obvious in the show.

Wow that was long. I'm sure some of you either skimmed down to find your shipping (i gotta admit I did that with a couple of yours :rolleyes:) or skipped my post completely.
    Anyways...heres to the upcoming Sink or Swim episode coming on in about 26-27 hours!!

7. squinn1201

squinn1201 Rookie

I never saw Natalia and Eric as a couple. Their "relationship" was strickly a lust-at-first-sight, sexual relationship. Although they care for each other, I think they both realized that they were best at being friends.

From the first episode, I saw an instant chemistry between Calleigh and Eric. I even thought to myself when the writers were going to put them together. I think that their relationship began, as many true relationships do, as best friends. Their mutual respect and friendship eventually turned into something more. I think that because of their close friendship, both were afraid to admit how they felt. The turning point of their friendship/love for me occured after Eric was shot in season 5. Calleigh was right there with Eric when he woke up, she was the first person he saw. She was there for him in his recovery and difficulties with his memory due to the shooting. She even risked her own job by covering for him when his cheat-sheet was discovered. Eric faced death and overcoming something like that can change a person. Eric finally woke up and realized that his soulmate had been standing right next to him all along. When Calleigh faced her own near death experience, Eric realized that life is short and that he needed to tell Calleigh how he felt about her. These two characters are perfect for each other! I hope that the writers keep them together. We have waited this long!

8. Ginnna

Ginnna Lab Technician

I saw Eric and Natalia's relationship as having followed the same path as that of Eric and Calleigh's... only in reverse. Eric and Natalia got intimate really fast. The progression of their relationship was basically sex --> conflict --> friendship. Eric and Calleigh, of course, went from friendship --> conflict --> sex (presumably). Then again, E/C has the added bonus of forming an actual relationship rather than simply jumping into bed together at the sex phase. If Eric and Natalia ever get back together, they'll be much more believable as an actual couple compared to the last time they were "together"... at least if/when they get back together, they'll have a solid basis of friendship.

And yes, you're right, extreme incidents did jolt E/C into confronting their feelings (which were preexisting). You're also right, that it's logical to assume that this admission of love for one another was delayed for so long because they were afraid to risk their years-long friendship. The "our sense of mortality has shaken us into confronting what we thought could wait" ploy has been used in other shows/movies/media/etc. I don't see why some people think it's such a weird and ineffective strategy.

9. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

I agree with both of you squinn1201 and Ginna. What you described about Eric and Natalia is precisely what I don't like about them. The relationship was built on nothing and it always bothered me how shallow everything was. The only reason they probably knew their last names was because they worked together :rolleyes:. I like the comparison Ginna made between both relationships:

Though I have to say that I like the fact that Natalia and Eric have been able to become friends and we didn't get the whole "we are all in this awkward relationship now" deal cause we slept together. I don't think their relationship was deep enough for that to have been explored too much and it would've gotten old really fast.

You're right. Even more with the fact that this is a crime show and they probably wanted to hold off going into such a serious relationship so early on in the show. NY did that and in my opinion DL has been such a mess that it's just inconsistent and all over the place. The fact that Eric and Calleigh were close friends, plus worked together, IMO made them hold off whatever feelings they might have had and the threatening events in their lives just made them see how short it all can be. I don't think is weird or unheard of at all, more along the lines of realistic.

10. electra

electra Pathologist

I actually liked Eric and Natalia relationship.I just think that is in the past now.They were never portrayed as a strong couple and after what the writers have done with E/C ,I can't even picture Eric and Calleigh with anyone else but each other.Maybe in a soap but in a show focused mainly on the crime it would take too much time.Not to mention that the writers have not even bothered to mention ANY tension between Eric and natalia.If they are so good friends now,IMO obviously it wasn't too important what they had.

11. luvcsimiami

luvcsimiami Hit and Run

CSI Ali could you tell me what episode the clip on the bottom of your signature is from with Eric in the green shirt and Calleigh going up to him. I've never seen this and just wondering what episode this is from?

Thanks!

12. Ajbuckly

Ajbuckly Lab Technician

So why all the hype then???

Am a hiphugger myself.. any E/C is pure eyecandy...But I get that a viewer turning on for the crimesolving might be hesitent and any avid none-hughipper would annoyed. ( Please excuse my spelling). So why take the chance? Eg promo for Flight Risk.

Someone metioned the maysweeps(?) and sex sells, but is it not a huge risk putting the ship out there like that?...Making it a big deal.
    Didn´t watch promos back in the days of Ryan, Natalia and Eric...How did they do that? And can´t remember for long they keept that storyline going?

But will say that to much breaking up -getting back together - being in doubt....HMMMM. I might skip the show alltogether.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  13. tigerlove2002

tigerlove2002 Victim

I like the fact that most of the CSI Miami romances have taken a back seat to the crime solving. Sure, they show episodes that are heavily shipper ones, but once in a while is ok. Obviously you have to have some of them out in the open, but the show isn't dependent on them. It all comes back to the crimes. With that said, my fav ship is

E/C-the chemistry between these two is really good. Yes, Calleigh had instant chemistry with Jake and it was acted upon. But I think the fact that E/C took so long to become official is why it will last hopefully for a while. They too showed chemistry from the beginning of the show, but waited 7 seasons for it. There are only a few episodes that have been solely on the E/C ship. Look forward to seeing this ship continue.

14. Hallie

Hallie Dead on Arrival

Well, i actually was never a fan of csi miami until recently i saw a scene with eric and calleigh and it drew me in. Then i went back and watch some recent episodes and in my opinion i think it was good they waited they gave the characters time to build independently and as with each other. I think it also allowed the audience to grow with them and route for them and i think that since they have finally put them together it will last a while the show isn't really about a ship but like all shows the audience always craves it so if they can incorportate it that allows the show to be what they want and give the audience what they want it will work. I saw an interview with emily proctor and she said that e/c would be together but like all couples they will have there ups and down. I am not a fan of them having couples breakup make up that is kinda boring to me but to watch then develop their relationship while balancing there job will be interesting also i don't think they would have put them together if they were going to break them up i think if they put them together the writers have a long term plan or they would have made an out like the did on law and order suv with bensen and stabler

15. E/C Lover

E/C Lover Police Officer

well the way i bumped into E/C kinda not a surprise. I had been watching the show for a really long time. On season 5, when calleigh gave eric the rosary i knew they were meant for each other.I then knew i would be a Hihugger all the way!