Death Penalty? What's your opinion?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by CSI3, Jun 5, 2005.

1. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

Actually, that's not entirely true. People are allowed to have world-view opinions here, thanks. ;) Because that's all they are really: personal opinions .

2. VManso

VManso CSI Level Two

But each country has its own system of justice. France , for instance, is the opposite of the U.S. They believe that you have to prove your innocence, not the other way round.

3. BabaOReilly

Regardless, if someone thinks the death penalty should not exist, period , then that's what they think. I'm sure the opinion would have very little to do with the various countries views on doling out justice, and more to do with a personal view on humanity. And they're perfectly entitled to that viewpoint. As are all the people who believe the death penalty should exist.

4. allmaple

allmaple Judge

i know those 'what if' questions are really hard to answer, because most people sometimes cant visualize themselves in the situation and come up with an answer.
    but what id like to know is, if someone close to you, that you cared about (spouse, boy/girlfriend, sibling, parent etc) was tortured and killed by one of these sadistic serial killers, would your view on the death penalty change? would the simple fact that they had to live out the rest of their life rotting in a jail cell be enough closure for you? could you ever move past the fact that they are still alive and the person they took from you isnt?

5. Palm

Palm Coroner

^ My views would still stay the same. I support the death penalty always but I can understand how people would oppose it and I respect their opinion. But even if a loved one near me was killed by a serial killer, I'd probably keep on living my life out because it wouldn't be my decision to make on how to get them. It's not my job, it's the police's. And emotions do always seem to cloud the mindset of some people and that's when they make poor judgements so, I wouldn't want my living family to grieve another death if I did something rash.
    But if the guy was caught and thrown in jail, it wouldn't be a matter of closure for me, because that would seem selfish. I would be glad that he wouldn't be able to go out and harm anyone else and cause anymore pain.
    If he was put the death, I'd still feel the same as if he was put in jail so, I guess it's matter of opinion.

6. VManso

VManso CSI Level Two

Allmaple has a very valid point, Baba!

7. BabaOReilly

Yes, she does... but why are you pointing it out to me?

:lol:

8. allmaple

allmaple Judge

thats what i thought, i was trying to make a discussion for everyone

9. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Boy I struggle with this issue.

On the one hand, I think it's pointless and it takes forever to be done because of all the appeals. So I don't see it as cheaper then life imprisonment.

On the other, especially when it comes to the murder of children, I do believe and eye for an eye. I also go along that line when it comes to the families of the victim that are left behind to grieve.

So I can't decide on this one.

10. VManso

VManso CSI Level Two

Has anyone thought of the media's complicity in this matter? How it exploits the situation for profit?

11. Palm

Palm Coroner

Of course. I mean, if you've ever wondered why the news plays all the depressing things or things that would traumatize a child if they understood, it's simply for ratings. Murder sells.

12. VManso

VManso CSI Level Two

OK. So you have the legislators making the laws, the legal system enforcing them, the psychiatric profession practically looking the other way, and the fouth estate exploiting the situation for their own benefit. And we're the ones who put them there in the first place!

13. kismet

kismet Lab Technician

I totally agree with this.
    I'm against Death Penalty. Who are we to say someone has to die? We aren't God! Deciding someone has to die makes us just as bad as the criminal in my opinion.

Everytime I hear someone on CSI telling a criminal that he/she is sure he will do anything to get him/her the needle, it shocks me.

14. VManso

VManso CSI Level Two

kismet ,
    We have no right to speak for other countries as their legal systems are quite different from ours. What might be done is to have a world referendum on this question
    with each nation having a say in the matter.

15. midnightbellzza

midnightbellzza Coroner

I don't know if I agree with it or not really. I mean if you took someones life they should take yours. But what if your innocent and they kill you then figure out 15 years later that you wern't the one that did it....