Dear Writers... (Have something you want to say?)

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Faylinn, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

All of you are right. cSiNyFrEaK let me steal your idea :D

Dear Writers: please stop writing as DL fans, DL fanfiction. We have had enough. Thank you.
    Write something good for the Smacked Family.You screwed their relationship this year except for 5.06. But where is their friendship????

Again not DL childbirth scene. I couldn't handle anymore. Focus on more interesting characters and couples as Mac and Stella ;) (Please don't dare to screw up Stella storyline)

Try to go back to S4. Heck! i really miss it! :(

Watch episodes from S1. They are very inspirational.

Debbie :D

2. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

Please stop making Mac and Stella victims all the time, and having the majority of their storylines involving them being pursued by some psycho. With the Greek man story for Stella, you have the THIRD psycho-man in her life. With Mac, first he was stalked by Drew, then there was the Mac Taylors killer and now there is the possibility
    he is being stalked by that girl.
    And first you had Sinclair and Gerrard going after his reputation, and now maybe the FBI are at it too. And Stella was the victim of AIDS. Why not give Mac and Stella more emotionally-based storylines? Mac dealing with his grief over Claire throughout s1, and his relationship with Reed since s3, are excellent examples. For Stella, the AIDS storyline was actually okay, as it did focus on the emotional toll it had on her, and the story with her foster sister was also good. Why not bring Reed back into Mac's life, letting us learn more about Claire and see Mac's gentler side? Why not have a storyline involving Stella finding out about her real parents (please do not make them psychos!) or dealing with an emotionally tough case, like in On the Job with the baby, or Supply and Demand with the drug dealing student girl?
    You have written some excellent emotion-based storylines for other characters - Flack discovering Sam is an alcoholic, the wonderful Ruben storyline for Danny, even Hawkes's story in AHTYMA. Please continue to give these characters such amazing storylines, and give such storylines to Mac and Stella too. I know 'in danger' storylines have their appeal, and are fine once or twice a season, but now they are starting to get repititive and even unbelivable. Gary Sinise and Melina Kanakaredes are fantastic actors, and could knock an 'emotional' storyline out of the park. They deserve more than these continuous a-psycho-is-after-me storylines.

Once again, please give Hawkes and Flack and Adam more screen time. You seem to be doing that this season, and kudos to you. Keep it up.
    Though again, please no psychos/stalkers after them.

Please focus more on the deep friendships between the characters, such as Flack and Danny or Adam and Stella. I am a Smacked fan, but if you don't want to go there yet, well, that's your choice, but please at least give us more friendship moments between them, like in s1.

Please stop throwing random women at Mac. The Peyton storyline was excellent as it showed Mac moving on from Claire. It developed his character. But the women you have thrown at him since - Jordan and Gillian and even Quinn, have done very little for his character development. If you want to develop a character via a love interest, give Hawkes a woman so we can see what he's like outside the lab. I'd prefer to see Mac developed through his relationship with Reed, or just see more of his friendships with his team. Stop bringing random love interests in for 3 episodes then having them vanish, having done nothing for the character. Ditto Stella - what was the point of the fireman in Turbulence?
    Bring back Reed and Louie! You can even have Louie be dead if you want, but tell us what happened to him!

Please develop Lindsay away from Danny. She seems to be nothing more than his love interest who has a tragic past (which we only know about because it affected her relationship with Danny, not her personally, at least that's how it was portrayed) and who occasionally does 'cute' demonstrations around the lab. Why not develop her relationships with Mac and Stella more? She has never had a storyline of her own not involving Danny. That is bad for both characters - it makes Lindsay uninteresting and it drains life from the Danny character.

Platonic relationships and friendships can be just as interesting as romance, and they get in the way of the crime aspect of the show, especially with long standing relationships such as Mac/Stella, Danny/Flack and Stella/Adam. Leave the romance alone for awhile, and focus on these relationships.

I know you want to appeal to younger audiences, and you seem to think romance and danger are the way to do that. Romance and danger are fine in small doses. But please remember there are other ways to develop characters, and please remember you have an 'older' audience too who appreciate good solid crime stories, decent non-romantic character development, and the more mature, platonic, deep relationships on the show. Please don't make CSI:NY into CSI: The OC.

Btw, I am 23, and have been watching the show since I was 19/20, so probably fit into that 'younger audience' category you're so eager to please, and look what I've written. I was watching Vegas and Miami since I was younger (around 16/17 when they first aired in the UK) and I never watched it for the romance. I watched them for the crime and the characters. NY is, in my opinion the best of the 3 shows in terms of character development, please don't lose that.

3. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

*some words are written in all CAPS, bold and underlined...that's for emphasis*

To CSI: NY Writers,
    READ THIS!!! I watched last night's CSI: Miami just out of curiousity and the fact that so far, in my opinion, season 5 of CSI: NY, with the exceptions of "Veritas" and "My Name is Mac Taylor", has pretty much sucked lemons. Well, CSI: NY writers, take your best guess as to what happened when I watched last night's CSI: Miami. If you guessed I loved it and would give it an A+...you are correct. Made me start rethinking how I feel about CSI: Miami. If you don't start writing episodes as good as or, if possible, even better than last night's CSI: Miami, I'm gonna switch back to the way I was before September of this year. In other words, I'll go back to being a CSI: Miami fan FIRST and a CSI: NY fan SECOND. Think I won't do it???? TRY ME!!! How do like them apples???
    Sincerely,
    Disgruntled New CSI: NY Fan.
    Carolyn in Alabama.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  4. DetHiggins

DetHiggins Police Officer

Dear Writers (or the little kids of the writers... I can't tell you guys apart),

This whole marriage thing is bogus. I am very conservative and even I am against it. I guess I'm your younger audience you're trying to focus on. How 'bout I let you in on a little secret? I don't watch CSI:NY for the romance. I watch for the humor! Oh and I watch for good storylines. Guess I'm on the wrong show.

Don't pull a Miami and only murder rich people who are junkies. It's inconsiderate in these times to show people with all this cash. Not everyone has cash like that! Oh and what happened to breaking and entering? Like you mention the priors but what about a break in because that is STILL a CRIME SCENE. I mean I think it's still a crime to break in.

So I guess everyone keeps a professional and respectful relationship with everyone else because I have seen NO teasing or joking. That's what made this show ace to me. It was funny and the murders were realistic. I used to be proud to say that New York was my favorite. Now, I hear that Miami is back on the rise.

Oh! Oh! Oh! I know! I know! Pick me! Pick me! I know! Was that what was going through y'all's minds when you thought of how to appeal more to larger audiences. Let's make it unrealistic how people change their feelings and characters. Don't get me wrong, I still love New York. Now, I just am sick of jumping around. I am ADD so that does not help me concentrate. I do miss the two SEPARATE cases and them talking to each other even if they don't work the same case *GASP!*

You missed a heck of a show!

Sincerely,
    Higgins

P.S. If you try to make everyone happy, you make NO ONE happy.

5. Ticamo77

Ticamo77 Hit and Run

Dear Writers,

I'm not certain how to begin, so I'm just going to 'go':

When I first began watching your show, I was intrigued. The dark hue in which the show was filmed in made it stand apart from everything that was on tv at that time. It was gripping and new. You began the series with a crime scene that was enough to get my attention. You have Det. Mac Taylor meeting Det. Don Flack to investigate the discovery of a woman whose body just washes ashore. From that moment, you built an intriguing relationship with me, a viewer. From that episode, I would continue to watch every episode that season of stories that were gripping and deserving of recognition. The stories featured in Season One were stitched together with occurrances that were so realistic and probable that it was fascinating.

Gary Sinise and Melina Kanakaredes were fabulous choices as lead protagonists in the series. By the book Mac Taylor and his great friend Stella Bonasera made a formidable duo who carried integrity and intellect that made me happy that CSI:NY wouldn't be watered down as it was the second spin off to an all ready successful series. But, what made the show better was the cast that supported Gary and Melina. Three unknowns to me, Carmine Giovinazzo, Vanessa Ferlito and Eddie Cahill just represented New York and its attitude. They were savvy, street smart and had the capability to throw you in jail. Add in Hill Harper, playing a brilliant Medical Examiner and I was hooked.

Which brings me to my feelings of the show as it is, today... CSI:NY is almost unrecognizable from the show which began September 22, 2004. It has deviated so far from the rich stories that filled my Wednesday evenings to becoming just run of the mill. :( I am no longer engaged in the show and what I watch from episode to episode. I carry nothing from the show that is even deemed conversational anymore. What I feel now is something akin to shame as my favorite crime procedural has become a prime time soap opera and I'm growing frustrated. :brickwall:

I'm certain that you are inundated from fans all around the world who love the current storyline of Danny and Lindsay's relationship and their baby. They are quite entitled to those feelings as Carmine Giovinazzo is a great actor and has proven himself capable of making some of your lesser work interesting. What troubles me though, is that the character that was introduced all those years ago is not familiar to me today. Danny Messer's recent behavior, no matter how much you choose to use the guise of maturity to decribe it, is very unlike the character I had gotten to know in previous years. I'm just baffled. :confused:

That leads me to formally apologizing to you, CSI:NY writers. :confused: Had I offered you all praise for the stories that I liked then, maybe I wouldn't be subject to what I'm watching now. If I applauded you for what I sincerely liked, then maybe you'd have been more willing to better fatten the skeletons of the characters you had originally introduced back then. Maybe if I said something then, you all wouldn't have felt it neccesary to introduce a baby into the drama, just so you could feel trailblazing and innovative. You didn't have to do that to keep me interested in your show. Just go back to what you had on the drawing boards back then and film that because what you consider new is just sad and makes each and every episode forgettable.

Thank you for reading,

Rubbernecking at the trainwreck of a storyline that alienates your crime/drama fans.....

6. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

Dear writers: you are getting what 3 years of wrong writing couldn't get: i started disliking Lindsay. Seriously, i had hopes on that character and now it's fading any chance of independence for her. Her life as individual is over.

Also if you want to screw up the show, could you let my fav characters keep some dignity????
    Mac and Stella deserve a better scene that being witnesses of a mess.

If at least you had tried SMAC...but you never wanted to. You have lost a great chance of showing a mature, adult, tender and pasionate relationship between two great characters portrayed by two great actors

i am so sorry for you

Debbie

7. eyewitness

eyewitness Rookie

Dear writers,

I am totally with my friend Debbie above.

I started to hate Lindsay to the point i wish she was out of the show.
    Also writing in Belknap's pregnancy was a very bad choice. I am so over their teenage soap-opera romance and i actually leave the room during the Danny/Lindsay scenes. I can't stand it.

I wish you gave the GOOD ACTORS a chance and put Mac and Stella back on focus again. When you write them aside into their little private pathetic situations you are wasting their talent. Please i want Gary and Melina back. Even G.W. Bush (who isn't exactly known for his intelligence) recognized Gary presenting him with a honor medal. Why don't you recognize his talent too?? That's the only thing that can save the show.
    I also wish i had more Flack stories.

i'm sorry, but i'm a very disappointed fan right now.

8. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

LOL Rach :D i think they really pissed us off this time :D

Dear writers:
    I admit it was cute the"baby is kicking" scene. As long as you keep these scene as short as you did in this last episode i guess i will be able to handle it without vomiting:wtf:

It's good thing to create some drama between Mac and Stella. But remember you must NOT exaggerate. Give some moments of war but don't forget giving us some moments of joy between them

Being witnesses of a mess is not exactly my type of "joy" moments. Give us back their relationship. We will enjoy it along with their catfights:drool:

Also, give me more Stella moments, why was she in such a few scenes in 5.11?? It sucked! She is the female leading star but she is as often as any lab tech:wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf:

And please, STOP THE DEMOSTRATIONS. if you keep doing these is just another proof you want us to be so piss off with you :wtf: Lindsay is an adult, not a child. She would have been ok just explaining the whole thing. But as Mac said he is NOT a guinea pig and he doesn't have to "humor" her just because she had unprotective sex and she had consequences of it:scream:

debbie:cool:

9. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

P.S. Stop having Stella say stuff in Greek and then not give us English subtitles.
    I don't speak Greek.
    *mutters a few unlady like things about the writers.*

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  10. Plenilunio

Plenilunio Lab Technician

I completely agree with you there, even though I'm not sure the writers are the ones to blame. Anyway, hearing Stella speak Greek and not getting a thing she's saying is frustrating. I just hope they do something about it during the rest of the Greek plotline or non-Greek-speaking fans will probably get a little bit p*ssed off...

11. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

C'mon girls! Stella in Greek is mysterious :D

Dear John Dove and Zachary Raiter (my fav writers anyway :D )

Thanks for going back to the wonderful interaction between Mac and Stella. It was very painful to have them so OOC at the begining of this season. Also i really appreciate the fact you didn't pair them up with other people (it would have been unbereable to watch)
    But the reason so be most grateful is how you have written Stella this season. She is even more solid in front of the audience if that is possible.
    If you could give me a chance to pick an episode related to her i couldn't do it (well except for 5.15 when Stella's behaviour was so childish in front of the annoying fireman)
    Melina is shining and i really appreciate you are given her the chance to shine as she deserves :D

Many hugs

Debbs :D

ps: PLEASE don't forget about Smacked :(

12. Half

Half CSI Level Two

Dear Writers:
    Do not ruin Flack/Angell by rushing it and then messing it up like you did to D/L. Granted, (IMO) F/A has more chemistry than D/L, but that doesn't give you the excuse to forget to progress the relationship a little better than you have. From the spoilers, you have in fact slowed down a bit in the "FLACK AND ANGELL ARE TOGETHER, SEEEE??" department, but still. Bad.
    Also. I DO NOT CARE ABOUT DANNY AND LINDSAY AND THE "DIFFICULTIES OF RAISING A CHILD"! Every single spoiler does not need to be about how great and wonderful they are. Get a life, and maybe, I don't know, start releasing things about and doing things with other characters, like Adam, Hawkes, and Stella.

-ALEX

PS-
    Heh... Please tell me who leaves/dies in the finale... Please?

13. Half

Half CSI Level Two

No edit feature. New "Dear", anyhow.

Dear Writers:
    SUBTITLES. I do not speak Greek. I vaguely understand Latin. That's about it. How about telling me what I'm hearing? Especially:
    When Flack is speaking Gaelic and Angell is speaking French. Do not make me suffer through the confusion of not knowing what two of my favorite characters or saying, or I will be very unhappy.

-ALEX

14. cSiNyFrEaK30

cSiNyFrEaK30 Police Officer

Dear Writers,

Please drop the whole freeze-frame action sequences. Honestly, they are getting annoying.

But keep up the good writing for Adam:thumbsup: And please give him his own story for an entire episode and let him run with it!

15. Yumi696

Yumi696 Rookie

Dear Writers,

Watching the Danny/Lindsay scenes have become so painful. The relationship is based on nothing but a farce of a relationship and a baby that they're not ready for. Lindsay's character is still underdeveloped and Anna's acting is still not up to par. And the pregnancy was so 'soap opera' that it made me twitch. If you're going to give Anna Belknap more emotional scenes, then I suggest that you stick with Carmine and A. J. Buckley for them. They act really well and realistically in those emotional scenes, as opposed to Anna Belknap ('Silent Night,' 'The Lying Game,' 'Sleight out of Hand,' among many others, were deplorable because she shows one emotion and one face...).

What happened to the nitty-gritty crime scenes of season one? It turned all rainbows and happiness, and only rich people and drug dealers do crimes. What about the desperate homeless person, or the single mom, etc. etc.? They commit crimes too.

Also, please stop focusing on romance and work more on character development. There is so much potential in the characters that haven't been explored. Don Flack has a family of cops, so you could try to flesh out his feelings about living up to the legacy. Plus, there's the subplot of his alcoholic sister, which is a great subplot. There's a lot of unexplored territory in Sheldon's past that should be explored. Whatever happened to Danny's brother and family? (And he doesn't come from a family of cops! Keep things consistent, good lord.) And there is no way that he got over Ruben's death that quickly. Adam Ross has amazing potential, especially with his family history. It should definitely come into one of the episodes... something about his family should come up. It would be amazing. Definitely focus on Adam... :D

Also, please stop throwing away subplots. The Rikki/Ruben subplot seems to have disappeared completely, as well as the Danny/Louie subplot. People can grieve for years, but it seems like they get over these things so quickly. It's not realistic.

That's all I can think of for now.
    ;)
    ~Yumi