"CSI" taps Liev Schreiber to fill in for William Petersen

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by jimmyolsenblues, Oct 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimmyolsenblues

jimmyolsenblues Hit and Run

As I reported in this week's Ask Ausiello, CSI has tapped Tony winner Liev Schreiber to fill the temporary void left by William Petersen. Schreiber will play a seasoned CSI who joins the veteran team at the Las Vegas Crime Lab. He'll debut in Episode 12, slated to air in January.

Although I like Liev Schreiber as an actor, he is far to young to run this lab.
    I like him in sphere, machurian candidate, but I can't imagine him as Will Petersen's stand in.
    I guess I am a little disappointed in Mr.Petersen for doing this stunt. Act on the best show on tv, when its over, do all the theater you want. or do it in the hiatus of the show.

2. GrissomFREAK

GrissomFREAK CSI Level Two

Re: "CSI" taps Liev Schreiber to fill in for William Peterse

Yeah, he's young.

Him or anyone else in my case. Being a die-hard WP fan, I can't imagine anybody taking his place :p

We'll see how it goes.

3. McStokes

McStokes Pathologist

He's going to be like a younger version of Gary Sinise from CSI New York...crap!

4. MiaCharlize

MiaCharlize Coroner

William Peterson to be replaced...I'm happy :) Liev Schreiber is cool, I've only seen him in one movie but I liked him.

5. speakerset

speakerset Lab Technician

I think they kind of have to have someone, either that or they move Catherine up and the other guys work more--which, wait, woudldn't have been a bad thing at all..or have Ecklie really move in, and that would cause a strain.

It's for what, 4 episodes, I think he'd be good, but then who knows what the character will be like, either he's independent like Grissom, Ecklie's right hand man, or Ecklie thinks he is but isn't.

Young to running the lab...he may be a little young, but maybe he has a lot of experience, I'll wait to find out about the character to really comment, so I guess I'll have to reserve some judgement for now..but I am also reserving my right to say more. :)

6. dancingqueen

dancingqueen Hit and Run

ok so, is this guy going to be playing Grissom, or playing another character who's filling in for Grissom?

7. MiaCharlize

MiaCharlize Coroner

Another character I assume. It would be stupid to replace him for a few eps. Plus, they totally don't look alike.

8. kaylyne

kaylyne Coroner

I'm guessing Catherine would be moved up to supervisor for that amount of time that Grissom's gone. Liev's character would be just an add-in with the rest of the team. That would make the most sense, since Cath has a better understanding of what's going on, how to do things, and knows the team & how they tick better than any new person coming in would.

9. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

He's just a replacement, briefly, as the article states.

I think Liev Schreiber is fantastic. He's totally under-rated as an actor and I can't wait to see what he does with his character in CSI. I'm looking forward to seeing him.

I love WP, but whatever- it's only for a couple of episodes after all.

10. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

WOW, I hope Cath does get moved up and Liev fills in
    I'm looking forward to those episodes

11. Lauw

Lauw Police Officer

I don't mind a new character, it's only for a few episodes. I like Liev, liked his performances in the Scream's and that movie with Denzel Washington. But I hope his character won't be too bossy or that he will take up too much screen-time.

12. Tini

Tini Lab Technician

God I hate it when they do that!!! :eek: :eek: :mad: :mad:

Replace "the main character" with a complete stranger when there are 5 other main characters who would act their asses off while Billy is gone. What is wrong with these writers????? Just plain stupid, honestly. I don`t get it.

N-O-B-O-D-Y is able to replace Grissom, besides: he`s only gone for 4 eps.

Why not use this time to give Warrick, Nick or Sara some screentime?

13. Alyssa

Alyssa CSI Level Two

I think he's a strong actor. And, I think we have to look at him not as trying to "replace" or "fill Mr. Petersen's shoes," but as a new member of the team. If we try to measure him constantly against Grissom, we'll never get to see what kind of character he really is.

I mean, we've had episodes without Grissom, before, that I thought were great. Just last season, we had "Gum Drops" and "Unusual Suspect." Both, I thought, were quite high on my list of good episodes last season, with "Gum Drops" fighting with "Roshamama" for my top spot.

I don't blame Mr. Petersen for taking a break. He'll be gone for 2-4 episodes. That's not awful. There have been several episodes without other actors because they were off doing movies. Granted, he's the lead, but, it's his decision, and CBS let him do it without much of a public fuss (I have no idea what happened behind the scenes).

It'll be interesting having Schreiber. We'll see what's done with his character, and whether or not he'll be a permanent replacement should Mr. Petersen opt not to do a season 8.

Personally, I'd rather just stick to the cast we know and love since they already suffer from a cast bloat. However, I understand the need to draw up a media frenzy for the "Grissom replacement," and, also, to rotate someone new in for season 8 if, as mentioned above, Mr. Petersen does not continue with the show after this season.

14. S_Bright

S_Bright Police Officer

ITA - the cast is too big already! If regulars' like Warrick, only have room to show up in one scene an episode it's too much. :mad:

15. Dardeile

Dardeile CSI Level One

Well, at first I thought "I'm going to cry"...:lol:
    But after all, it's just for a few episodes...So, we can stand it.
    As long as Billy DOES come back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.