CSI: NY Season 5 Spoiler Discussion--Drama in Alphabet City!

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Mar 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

New spoiler thread since the previous one hit 1000!

Discussion continued from here. Let's keep it civil, folks.

Big spoilers for the finale everyone is talking about:

If someone wants to find the ones for 5.20-5.24 and PM them to me, I will edit them in.

ETA: Spoilers for 5.20-5.24. Thank you Faylinn! :D

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  2. ErinElizabeth

ErinElizabeth Rookie

Don't get me wrong, I am very glad to see Angell go.

It's not I wanted her to die. I would have been fine with her fading into limbo like the rest but when I heard about the death Angell is my least favorite so obviously I wanted it to be her.

But of course I was also excited because that meant the characters I like aren't going to die and Flack is going to get some nice drama out of it.

3. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

^^ What I said was actually in response to when you suggested that "TONS of people were sad to see Angell die." All that stuff about her death being a dramatic punch and what not.

I don't feel like that many people are as sad about Angell dying as they are about other people not dying.

BTW, I had a much longer post before that one, I hope it didn't get lost in the flood. ^_^

4. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

There are some people on this board who are sad she is the one who is dying, but that is a teeny tiny portion of the show's fan base. Even some of the people who are sad to see her go admit they'd rather lose her than most of the remaining cast members. Overall killing off a recurring character who is in only a few episodes a season is not a dramatic punch. Actually, it's the most boring, predicatable thing a show can do. Her being recurring also means the lasting impact won't be there. We may get some good Flack angst for a couple of episodes, but ultimately her death won't affect the show in the long run.

Also, her being recurring affects the way we learn information about her. She's not a main character who is in every episode and is going to be responsible for carrying a story line. The only way to learn things about her is through her relationships with the other characters. It wouldn't make sense to learn things about her any other way given how little screen time she has. I don't think that limits her character, I think that builds on it and enhances the way she interacts with the team. She's not supposed to be front and center and we're not supposed to learn a lot of details about her, and I don't think she has been over exposed and we've learned enough about her to see a bit of what makes her tick and how she interacts with the team.

I agree with the people who say it's short sighted of TPTB to kill her.

5. ErinElizabeth

ErinElizabeth Rookie

Yeah but Adam and Sid started out as recurring characters too. We still learned a lot about them and we learned it through them.

Basically it comes down to differing opinions. I find Angell dry and boring and I'm not a huge fan of EV's acting in a lot of things I've seen her in.

I never connected to her character or saw any potential for her because, like I said, I found her stiff and boring. I don't feel that she brought anything to the show except maybe come extra sex appeal.

6. fm62

fm62 Prime Suspect

I'm annoyed at myself now for reading the spoilers, was hoping to be guessing to the finale, not to know this early. I did this in Lost season 3, knowing scene by scene how the final episode played out, you'd think I'd have learned by now.

I quite liked Angel being a recurring character, but I'm not too bothered about losing her. I would have liked it less if it had been most of the central cast.

I was hoping to get rid of Sheldon, he really annoys me, but he's not there much, so i'm not really concerned.

Thanks Top41, took me so long to type this up, you'd closed the thread. :lol::lol: need to learn to type faster. :)

7. roximonoxide

To want her to be the one to go just to spare all other characters is a fine reason and makes a lot of sense... but if that's the big selling point for you here throwing a party for her departure ought not to be more satisfying than basking in the relief of knowing no one you really like is going to kick the bucket. But what is most unexplained is why you think everyone who likes her and wishes her well is getting a taste of their own medicine. I'm not even sure what that medicine is let alone what it tastes like. o_O

8. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

But we found out about them through their interactions with the team members. We learned about Angell through Angell. It just happened to be Flack she was talking to when we learned the information. That's not the same thing as learning the information through Flack.

9. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

Something from the last thread I wanted to reply to.

I know exactly what ya mean, and that's a main issue for me. When I read spoilers someone was gonna die, a 'member of the family' who's loss would forever change the show, part of the fun I had in all the speculation of considering all the characters, was because the show suddenly seemed full of possibilities. That real, drastic, substantial changes could take place, that S6 could be revamped and give the show a kick forwards. I wouldna necessarily liked seeing a main member go, but it probably would meant more, if that makes sense.

This season has been so hit and miss, with good elements tempered by atrocious ones, that I really wanted to hope something bigger might be underway. I wanted to think perhaps TPTB, as they initially tried to between S4 and S5, might be gearing up to put together some cohesive, new direction for all the characters and the show that would give it some new drive. I can live with Angell gone, sadly and shaking my head even so, but still definitely see it as a truly cheap way to have built and then gutted the hype. My point is I was hoping that whoever was to go, it would actually be a means to really change things up. Offing a recurring character doesn't give me the same hope that the show will actually benefit from a 'death' storyline, especially as hyped for a finale.

We didn't even get that hype for when Vanessa Ferlito left the show. They staged the whole exit differently, even though they still killed the character. There were other massive renovations done on the show post S1 that coincided with her leaving because CBS stuck it's nose in and wanted changes. Right now it's just disappointing to think that neither CBS nor TPBP seem to think some sort of more substantial evolution is needed from where the show currently sits.

I seem perpetually behind in my typing tonight, rather my editing. You're not the only one, fm62 :p Yes, exactly, agree. Doesn't matter if I like Angell or not as a character (I do) or see her as useful to storylines and other character interaction (I do) and having been a benefit to the show over several seasons (I do). It doesn't imply or oblige any changes from the current status quo. It instead seems to perfectly illustrate an easy apathy and bland and ultimately disappointing and cynically predictable handling of the show.

...and what I said in the other spoiler thread still goes. If TPTB are playing silly buggers with all this, the gloves truly come off. :p

10. Shica

Shica Victim

I'm sad that they're killing off Angell, I liked her and she made a good team with Flack.

About the cliffhanger, could it be that Flack goes after the baddies by himself? Flack againts the world, and Super Mac Taylor flying to the rescue to keep him from going to the dark side of the force?

(Too many movie references, preciousss...:eek:)

;)

11. ErinElizabeth

ErinElizabeth Rookie

I'm not sure I'm following you...

I already said that I wanted her to go because I don't like her character AND because that means none of my favorites are dying.

Also where is this medicine thing coming from? :confused:

12. eyewitness

eyewitness Rookie

:(
    Awwww... I think I'm gonna cry. I mean it all indicated that it was Angell, and I expected it to be her. But seriously I still had a faint shade of hope that it could be Lindsay. I cannot believe they're gonna kill off a great character like her and let Lindsay stay. Are TPTB blind or just plain stupid? Angell was great in scene with Stella, they're "partnership" was so promising! Not to mention Flack himself. Oh :scream::scream::scream::scream: bad bad writers.

13. roximonoxide

Yep, I get you wanted her to go because you don't like her and because her being the one to go means the others are safe. I'm just pointing out that if the other characters being safe was even as remotely important I'd think you'd have been saying hurray everyone I love survives! and not hurray the one girl who irks me is dead, suckers! Not to mention, I don't think you'd have met so much hostility. Unless you were after it... which is where the medicine thing is coming from.

14. ErinElizabeth

ErinElizabeth Rookie

I get what you're saying but I was celebrating because I wanted Angell off the show and now she's going to be. I was also happy because I guessed right. I had called her from the start and just had a gut feeling it would be her. So while I was relieved it was confirmed I was never that worried to begin with.

Can you really tell me that if Lindsay had been the one who was getting killed NONE of you would be celebrating and saying how happy you were she was gone?

15. roximonoxide

You seem like a sharp and well spoken person, so I'm left wondering why not word it like you have recently from the get go? You're clearly capable of it. If you had, I'm certain you wouldn't have met a single hostile remark and wouldn't have ended up calling anyone a hypocrite. I can't help but feel like you were seeking the negative attention and it makes me suspicious as to why.

ETA:

I wouldn't begin to try and tell you that. A lot of people have wanted her gone for a long time. Some with well justified reasons and others not so much. I'm certainly not condemning you for reveling in Angell's gone-ness if you really think shes a constant detriment to the show, which is a hard thing to argue about a character who's present about 1/3 of the time, but your capable of coming off intelligently and you choose not to. Then when you're met with the hostility you sought you're eager to throw down. It's a red flag to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.