CSI: New York - Season 5 in the UK

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by aconnell, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Solitaire

Solitaire CSI Level Two

^ I also wasn't sure about the wedding. Wouldn't be my dream, anyway. I dont see why they have to rush into. And it was well cheesy!

The rest of the epi was good though. KDKHm- Adam is also now my favourite character! He always gets the best bits.

2. fm62

fm62 Prime Suspect

Bad news for all you early-nighters. Saturdays episode doesn't start until 10pm.

3. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

I enjoyed this ep.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww - this is the third time this show has really grossed me out this season. The removal of cocaine from the bodies and Pino's 'lab/workshop' was gross. Using a blender to blend organs? Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

I loved that Hawkes and especially Sid got a really emotional role in this episode. I was especially pleased by every single scene with Sid in, from when he couldn't do the autopsy on Annabel, to when he realized what Marty had been up to, to that final scene in the warehouse or whatever it was. It was wonderful to see more to Sid than just 'the creepy coroner' and Robert Joy was excellent.

Oh dear, Stella. I love her passion, and her determination to get Diakos and Kovolos. Kovolos especially is an arrogant, smarmy, cocky scumbag, and I enjoyed seeing Angell and Stella trick him. LOL at him getting locked in the container!:lol: But this could land Stella in serious trouble. Never mind, for a minute, that she's lying to Mac - if her superiors find out about her actions, she could get in big trouble, and even Mac might not be able to protect her.
    About her lying to Mac, it's OOC, but the way she obviously feels about doing so - guilty - is very in character. She doesn't want to lie to him, I think she feels she's protecting both him and herself by keeping him out of it. In the scene in Mac's office, when he says he won't let her work the case, but will handle it himself personally, despite his heavy workload, because he knows how important this is to her, and Stella's shocked, guilty look and the way she almost tells him was a great scene, and made me sympathize with her. Earlier this season, we saw Stella being the 'by the book' one when advising Mac about Ella, which I enjoyed. But it's nice to see that she can still be driven by her emotions just like Mac. I'm very interested to see where this will lead. Stella's actions with Kovolos remind me of Mac's actions with Dobson, and I'm glad to see Stella put in a situation where her actions, though understandable, aren't 100% 'right'/legal/'kosher'. It makes for dramatic, interesting stuff, IMHO.

Diakos is dead, what a terrible loss (not!). He was a b*stard. But I'm intrigued to know who killed him. Kovolos? Or someone else?

Loved seeing Stella's 'Greek' side, first when she visited Professor P. - that was a really nice scene, a little insight into her past. Loved Professor P's comment about Stella's hair, LOL, and the revelation that Stella sat at the front of his class. Second time we saw her 'Greek' side was when she was telling Angell about the significance of the coins.

I love Angell, she was great in all her scenes with Stella, especially the one where she asked (or didn't ask, I suppose) whether or not Mac knew. She was awesome in her scene with Kovolos too, sassy and smart. I love Angell and Stella as friends, Stella needs a female buddy. Stella and Angell working together reminds me of Flack turning up in Chicago to find Mac last season, it's always nice to see the friendships on this show.

Danny has balls of steel! Going after that guy who had that BIG gun with just his service weapon, and no vest? Risky! And he took the guy down with one shot? Has he been taking lessons from Horatio?:lol:

Flack and Mac in Kevlar = :drool::drool::drool: Especially the scene where they are walking away from Danny to raid the brothel place, and you see their butts and the handcuffs hanging off their belts.:devil::drool:
    Yes, I am a terribly shallow person, I know.

The whole thing with Marty was just....sad. Like Sid said, too much death.:( Though he did bad things, I did feel sorry for him about his wife.:(

Loved how nice Mac was to Sid when Sid apologized for what happened with Marty, and also that look they exchanged at the end. There was some nice closeness between them this episode, that went deeper than their regular banter.

So Lindsay's off in Montana on maternity. LOL at her feeling like a whale and being bored.

4. 11krage

11krage Dead on Arrival

I agree great episode, I love that their concious of the details like how they had everything important in that container, and took his phone away as apposed to just brushing over that fact as has been done on other shows. I also :guffaw: when I saw they's placed a cushion in there as well, so nice of them.

It was so dramatic, this I think has been one of their most touching storylines that one of their own who they trusted and liked, who I trusted and liked turns out to be a mass murderer. It was deep and they really did well to get away from the 'bad guys are evil, nasty and stay on this side of the line, and good guys are great, lovely people who could never commit a crime to save their lives on the other side of the line'. He was both, I loved his charater and was actually wondering recently why on earth he'd just up and disapeared without explanation.

Thats another bit I have to appauld this episode, the consistancy and wrapping up loose ends even the little ones most shows let trail. I just thought he'd ended up forgotten like so many lovely part timers, but this was the best thing they could do with his charater and his friends. I have to say, csi new york is really impressing recently.

5. lal

lal Pathologist

hi i enjoy this Episode it was nice to see Hawkes and Sid getting more involved .:)

6. Solitaire

Solitaire CSI Level Two

I agree with what has been said about this episode. I really loved the emotion from Sid. He is a great character and it is good to see him get some personal stuff. I wasn't sure about the Stella story, but I thought it was funny when they locked the guy in the container.
    The fact that they brought back a previous character was also good. I would never have thought he would be doing something so sick. (but it wasn't as bad as the birds and the eyeball thing the other week)

I agree 11krage that they did the storyline very well, he wasn't a typical baddie, and he was someone I had quite liked on his previous appearances.
    New York has always been my least favourite of the franchise, but with the strong episodes we have had recently I think that may be changing.

7. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

Good ep!

The guy who pulled the gun on the monorail/train is an idiot!

Danny and the naming thing was funny. God, what awful names he kept thinking up! 'Louie' and 'Kurt' were fine, but 'Clemenza'? Alfonz?!!!! LOL at Hawkes saying Clemenza rhymes with Influenza!:lol:

LOL at Danny teasing Sheldon about his name, and Adam laughing when Stella suggested 'Mac' for a name, then seeing Mac's look and saying he liked it.:lol: Mac and Sheldon are better names than 'Clemenza' though!

Sid speaks Lithuanian....that's just so typically quirky, so 'Sid'.

Lindsay telling Danny the sex of the baby by text message seemed odd to me. Isn't that the kind of thing you tell the father of your kid in person? At least over the phone? But I guess it fit in with the way the writers wanted this episode to go.

I liked the diversity in this episode, all the different languages. I love Angell flirting with Flack in French and him speaking Gaelic (hot!!!). The history stuff about the Indian tribes was really interesting too.

Loved Mac, Flack and Danny in the warehouse, and Mac punching the bad guy was HOT. It reminded me of Flack slapping that pedophile who tried to stab him last season. I loved seeing him take down that stupid Irish guy who got aggressive with him as well.:drool::drool::drool: He can speak Gaelic and kick ass all in one scene, what a cop!:drool:

I liked the way Danny, Stella and Mac were talking throughout the episode about the loss of cultures and all the different cultures in New York. Some people may have found it a little 'preachy' but I just thought they were interesting comments.

Stella suggesting 'Mac' for a baby name and Mac's smile when she said it was cute, as was the whole scene at the end when Danny found out the baby will be a girl. I like those 'family' scenes.

It was nice to see some more evidence of Flack and Angell's relationship, they are very cute and flirty together, and this relationship is done in a much less heavy handed way than D/L was.

What a weird way to kill someone, horrible too!

I knew there was something off about that I.T. guy!

So a good ep overall, not much in depth character stuff, but an interesting and 'different' case, and some nice lighter character moments.

Now I want to see Flack play hurling though!

8. Solitaire

Solitaire CSI Level Two

Macslady- I agree with what you said about the episode.
    • Danny with the baby names was funny, but yeah there was some awful suggestions there. I love Danny and Hawkes together. I alos thought it was off that Lindsay texted Danny the babies gender, considering the other epi he said she had been phoning him all day. But it did work well at the end. They have some good team moments (now if only Miami could get more than 2 people in a scene at once....)
    • I laughed out loud when Mac punched that guy. I didn't expect that, but I liked it!
    • The language and culture thing was pretty cool. And Flack and Angell make a cute couple.

9. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

:up: i remember laughing out loud at that punch too! i'm so tempted by all the spoiler threads and discussions of the finale, i'm just sitting here trying so hard to ignore them until it's finished airing here which is like forever away.

10. Solitaire

Solitaire CSI Level Two

^ I've also been good, and not looked up any spoiler details. But then we are getting near the end now, so hang in there!
    I would comment on last episode, but I cant remember anything about it!

11. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

it must've been really good then :lol:

12. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

I enjoyed last night's ep. It was very much a 'Mac' ep, but I didn't mind that. Many people thought Mac was too righteous in this ep, and I can see what they mean, but I see it more as him really not liking 'politicians' and going all out to prove Dunbrook guilty. That said, he did seem to assume Dunbrook was guilty of more than he was saying right off, which I don't think necessairly is the right way to carry out an investigation. But Dunbrook was acting suspicious, and he was a pretty slimy guy in the end so I can understand where Mac was coming from. Some of the things he said to Dunbrook were pretty harsh, but Dunbrook said some pretty harsh things to him too. I'm disappointed that Dunbrook eventually turned out to be little more than a cardboard-cut-out 'bad' slimy politician type who tried to buy off the cops and was taken down by the team. I was hoping he would be a more complex nemesis for Mac and for the rest of the team too, in the way Gerrard and Sinclair were/are (Gerrard seemed to have it in for Danny as well as Mac, which was interesting). I knew Dunbrook was dodgy as soon as he handed over that check.
    That said, it being his son who was guilty came as a surprise, as did the fact that the 2 Feds were actually good guys who were victims of Dunbrook Sr. and Anne Steele's political machinations - they came off in the earlier ep as very sinister, potentially very bad guys.
    I also loved the Mac/Sinclair interactions, and thought the ep showed that while Mac might not like the political games Sinclair has to play, he needs him to play those games so he can solve cases - it was Sinclair who got the search warrant. I enjoyed seeing Mac and Sinclair overcome their egos/opinions on politics in the NYPD etc to work together to bring down Dunbrook. Sinclair is a much more interesting opponent for Mac than Dunbrook IMO. Though Dunbrook could cause some probs for Mac with his paper.

My favourite scene was when Dunbrook said to Flack 'You giving me orders?' in a really nasty way, and Mac got right in his face and said 'He is! Back off!' - that was cool, and it was nice to see Mac defend his friend. The way he said 'BACK off' though sounded like what he was really saying was 'F**K off!':lol: Mac's nemeses (sp?) really need to learn not to mess with his people! It reminded me of Gerrard having a go at Danny in Raising Shane (s3) I think he said he'd like to beat some sense into Danny, and Stella told him to back off or she'd have his badge!

So overall a good ep with some interesting revelations and gasp! continuity and a bit of a cliffhanger - what will happen to the flash drive?, but let down by the fact that Dunbrook Sr. wasn't as interesting a nemesis for Mac and the team as he could have been.

I'd give it a B- if I had to grade it.

I enjoyed the last ep with the stalker and the singer too, especially the Hawkes scenes and the scene where Mac and Hawkes went to arrest her at the end, I liked how Mac was sympathetic towards her and told her he had to arrest her but it was the hardest part of his job, and it's interesting that he didn't pull Hawkes up on giving her advice on how to potentially avoid going to jail. Nice continuity with Hawkes talking about Kara too. Angell cuffing Flack to the bed at the beginning was hot, they're cute together.

13. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

i quite liked the ep - i really like dunbrook as a villain. although i think he's criminally underused and would be better as a good recurring character. i said something about this in the villains thread - to me he represents the rupert murdochs of the world, people who have far too much money and power and who stick their noses into everyone's business but as soon as something goes wrong for them they want people to leave them alone.

i thought he could've been a good nemesis for mac in that sense because mac's integrity is so strong it could've been a great foil for that on a more long term basis. it's a shame that someone who was supposed to be totally involved in the life of the city only popped up a couple of times - i'd rather have had him as this sketchy background character over a longer period, a bit like sinclair actually who's not prominent but is always hovering.

as for the ep, i've said this elsewhere anyway but i really liked that mac lost his temper in it and gave as good as he got. i always like angry mac anyway, and i love that they make it obvious that mac has a temper bubbling away under there but it's rarely seen. i like that there was more of an outlet this time for it.

the whole story with the agents was just a bit weird tho. it was interesting but almost a bit ridiculous.

as for the one before, i loved the scene where they arrested the singer, i thought it was a really good demonstration of the fact that although mac does everything by the book, he does sympathise with people and has the right intentions as well. it was a really touching scene.

and yes, the scene with flack and angell was great :)

14. CSIChick

CSIChick Dead on Arrival

I missed the first episode of Season 5 :( however, thank Adam for the internet, TVshack.net has most the episodes (Apart from 4x16) I watched The Greater Good yesterday.... awwwww, so sweet- UK CSI:NY-ers, go on there & watch now!

15. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

i'm saving myself! i've been very tempted to watch it online so i can get into all the spoilered threads but i'm a good girl! and if i wait to watch it each week, it lasts longer too :)