CSI Las Vegas cinematography / photography / visuals

I loved season six lighting (and dark-ing :p )! I especially loved the way the look can present a certain "feel" to the scene. The earlier seasons were a bit...bleh. It's either the technology or the people that's getting brighter. :p And what makes it great is that everything fits together. If it's graveshift, there's obviously going to be a lot more darker scenes than lighter scenes. Plus I especially love how it tends to be kind-of dark inside the lab sometimes, which gives a scene an eerie feel, because, well, it's CSI. You're not gonna have smilie-faced wall paper on a show that's based on death now, are you? ;)

Dead Ringer. The opening sequence was simply brilliant

Oh yeah, I thought so too. Loved the running scenes, the leg shots of the runners, the cars, the musical accompaniment. Being a Greg fan, I also enjoyed seeing him grab ahold of Sara after she finished her part of the race and they hugged with big smiles on their faces. You can so tell that they are good buddies.

I also liked how the cinematographer used the morning light when Super Dave was examining the body. At least I think it was morning light. When Super Dave handed Greg the contents of the dead man's pockets, and Greg held it up to look at, I liked how the light reflected on Greg's arm so you could even see the fine hairs against the background sun.

Okay Toots, stop fantasizing. :p

My favorite season, cinematography-wise: I went with season 4, although initially it was a tie between season 4 and season 6 :rolleyes:
But I could only pick one :devil: :devil: -blame it on the person who made this poll :rolleyes:
WAIT. I think I did :D Whoops *bangs head* :lol:

Season 4 has some freakin' great cinematography: Butterflied, Early Rollout, Dead Ringer, XX ...

From season 6 Pirates Of The Third Reich. Two close-ups. I like the angle, and the light too. Look at his face. One half bathed in darkness, the other half bathed in light. IMO the result is simply beautiful.

I believe filming faces and capturing facial expressions is not that simple. You can't be too close, you have to watch the angle :rolleyes:
But as it was said earlier, they're really good at filming close-ups on CSI :cool:

Another example of neon lighting :cool:
I love how the characters' faces look with neon lighting. Almost supernatural :D

I just like the look of this shot. Eerie feel to it.

And to finish, two angled shots. Looking down ;)
On the second one, it almost feels like YOU are the db :D

Great topic, GrissomFREAK.

My favourite visual effect would probably have to be the different contrast they use, mostly in flash backs. Especially in "Committed" when the had the flash backs of the victim strapped down to the table. I tried to find a screencap but there's no websites that take screencaps of scenes without cast members.

Another effect I really liked was one of the new ones they experimented with in season 6 - the seperate body-parts flash very quickly during an interrogation.

Example

I know it's kind of similar to the "close up" category, but you didn't mention the interrogation scenes.

Also, I like when they focus and un-focus between the people in the interrogation viewing-room and the suspects being interrogated.

Example

I love the way the blue stands out at the window near the officer.

Reeble said:

Another effect I really liked was one of the new ones they experimented with in season 6 - the seperate body-parts flash very quickly during an interrogation.

I LURVE that too! I couldn't think of a better way to explain it! :D

I live here, and the lights are BRIGHT till dawn-which is about 5 or 6 am "it's Vegas baby" here's a couple of areial views- ;)and 'ABRTI' was filmed in L.A. and the last time they filmed here was "Killer" in Feb. 2006/at which time I tried un-successfully to see them- :(So of course I picked the LV areial views ;)

lvnight0002.jpg

View 2

View 3

================
~Edited: When posting pictures in threads please keep them under or close to: 1 Large pic 400x400,or 2 Medium pics 130x130, or 3 Small pics 115x115. Otherwise use URL Links.~

GrissomFREAK I LUV the "Dead Ringer" shots- great-that was such a cool beginning-- and that was an excellent epsiode- you've got some nice pics going here-thank's for sharing ;)-

Love the colors in this shot, too :cool:
What episode is it from, WillowsWannaBe?
How about the colors in this one?

Lots of orange and blue in CSI, ain't it? :p The two colors illustrate perfectly that contrast we were talking about.

Warmth vs coolness, energy/vitality vs sleep/peace/soothing calmness.

Vegas = the city that never sleeps, bee hive, warm, hot weather, neon lights everywhere
Lab/offices/interrogation/autopsy room = cold, death ('eternal sleep'), the use of blue could be related to the fact that the CSI's are here to bring closure to people, and to restore peace of mind ...

Wonder who decided that blue would be the dominant color ... why not green? Not that I mind, blue's my favorite color, I'm just curious :confused:

He's on fire ;)

Another case of blueness :D

BTW, cool pics everyone! :cool:

And Desertwind, you're sooo lucky to be living in Vegas :D

Reeble said:
Great topic, GrissomFREAK.

My favourite visual effect would probably have to be the different contrast they use, mostly in flash backs. Especially in "Committed" when the had the flash backs of the victim strapped down to the table.
I've always considered this epi as one of the best, cinematography-wise (along with Butterfly and a few others).

I also love how they filmed the scene where Grissom is interrogating the suspects, and there's this quick flash and you see their files, and what's written on them.

Example

I know it's kind of similar to the "close up" category, but you didn't mention the interrogation scenes.
YEAH! Riiight! Had completely forgotten about this one. Glad you brought it up. Very cool, indeed.
You can almost see the sweat drops running down the faces of the suspects, and smell their fear :eek: Scary. Oppressing.

I hope we'll see more of that in season 7 :cool:

I said "LOVE IT!"
GrissomFREAK said: fire
"Ah, but here's the smell of the blood still, and all the perfumes in Arabia will not sweeten this little room." Grissom, "Compulsion," season 5, A-plot. And I believe the quote he spouted from the vastness of his intellect to launch us to credits is from Macbeth. How sad is it that I remember that?
Dude, this is TOTALLY the perfect place for my rant about the right side of Grissom's face. :devil:
Aside from its extreme attractiveness, Billy's face seems to have a certain angle based on whatever it is we're doing. The left side of Billy's face seems to be associated with restraint, as in the "outer shell" people see. The right side of his face, however, seems to show up whenever we're learning something personal about him. This is a shot from "The Hunger Artist," from Grissom's monologue-via-voiceover about his hearing. It's a deeply personal realization for him because his job is his life, and here he is figuring out that if he does indeed lose his hearing, he won't be able to do it anymore.
Here we see him in "Still Life," alone in his office, quietly freaking out as he watches the news coverage of the missing kid. Notice that the left side of his face (the restrained, quiet side) is all bright and cheery, while the right side (the unrestrained, freaking out side) is all shadowed. So with this I conclude that he is quietly (because he's at work) freaking out (because this troubles him on some deeply personal level) and barely managing to restrain himself from throwing himself at the nearest shrink.
Now we see him doing the sexy-pouty-thing after his "dad" speech to Catherine, also in Still Life, and I feel like I'm spying rather a bit dirtily (oh, shut up!) on him because the right side of his face is pointing at Catherine, who he's really talking to, and we're just sitting there listening. And the light is falling on the right side of his face because he's "shedding light," as it were, upon the subject: his past.
This is from his "deep dark secrets" thing from Werewolves, where again we see that he simply MUST have some dark secret...
Here he is in a suit... I mean, here he is exercising extreme restraint by not breaking into Ecklie's house and murdering him in his sleep for splitting the team apart... random comment, the lighting again! You see how the light would be falling on the right side of his face? By having him barely react, we actually find ourselves learning a bit about him! Damn you, William, for being such a good actor!
"Committed" is definitely one of my favorite episodes, so this totally makes the pile: This is directly before the "crazy or not, here we come" that brought us to the credits, and just between you, me, and TPTB, I think Grissom may be a weeee bit insane. But I love him anyway. (And that shot is mildly blue, dabadidabadai.)
Billy totally stole "Weeping Willows" from Marg with this little gem, where he's all like "Well, I guess that's why I don't go out." We all know that we learned more about Grissom in this episode than Catherine (really! it says so in the commentary), and THERE'S THE RIGHT SIDE OF HIS FACE AGAIN!!!!
[/rant]
EDIT: Whoopsie, didn't see that other poll there. I went for Other because I love them all. <squee>

Wow, Crysthala you put a whole lot of thought into that...but, yeah that is weird. I, personally, like to look at both sides of William's face. Hehe. Good catch though, I dunno if I ever would have noticed that.

So much blue!-Even Catherine's white shirt looks blue in this picture.
Right side of our dear Grissom's face when he offers to take Sara home after her incident with the law in 'Bloodlines'. This is his more personal side..I see.

Back