CSI Fan Art Critique

Ok, I generally no make that I do hate my CSI fanart :( that's why I usually would rather enter the Misc Icon challenges over the CSI Icon challenges, I always think my Misc fanart looks better than CSI :shifty: maybe it's just me, so I would like to get other views :)

Here's some icons:

csimarg2.png
csispeed3.png
csistel1.png

Danny
Nick
Valera
Mac
Adam

Insight on all of the icons would be breat, but I'll take anything :)

I really love the coloring and crops on all of them, as well as the general aesthetics. The thing that I thought was the most problematic in many of them was the lighting. In many, I thought that the subject of the icon was either too bright (in Speed and Valera's cases, where it felt like they blended in too much with the background, which was approximately the same brightness and color) or too dark (like in Mac or Adam's cases). So I guess the biggest thing, to me, is making the subjects 'pop'. I think a curves layer once you're done with each icon would help. That said, I still really loved the coloring and pretty much everything else about them. Very strong icons.

I think more selective coloring on the Valera icon would also be helpful, along with a different background, preferably one that's darker so that she stands out more. Her eyes and mouth blend into her face a bit too much, I think. The Mac icon is fun, but I think the text is a bit overwhelming, especially because it's so large in comparison to Mac and ends up covering part of his face. Still, I think that one is a really cool idea. On the Adam one, I think the layer on top (I think it's an exclusion or difference layer?) is a bit too strong and makes the icon look a bit too dark. It also makes his face look a bit too pink. That said, all of the icons are still very pretty and well done. The coloring itself is awesome and I am in awe of your crops. I especially like the Stella, Cath and Danny icons. Awesome job!

Sarav6Cap00fss0rfcrop1.png

croppedicon1angelllaughvlcsnap-5973.png

AdamIcon3v2v2adamvlcsnap-65465.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the ctique happyharper13
The big thing I would fix is the text, which looks quite grainy. I'm not sure if PS7 has a rasterize option. If it doesn't I'd go with a brush. The text on the Natalia icon looks much better.
Yep my big problem is always the text, but, fortunately, I just learned some new tricks to improve it (oh yeah I'm so gonna use them now that I'm w/o PS :rolleyes::lol:)
Ah Natalia's text...well it was a brush :p

INormally, I feel like the standard is too make the face brighter than the background, but, then again, in this case, the coloring works quite well with Nat being darker than the background. Her face definitely still stands out, and I adore the lighting.
You know that's my idea too, usually :) . But once I colored her face, I really loved it that I didn't want to make it brighter or, even worse, to use a darker texture :lol:

Ok, I generally no make that I do hate my CSI fanart :( that's why I usually would rather enter the Misc Icon challenges over the CSI Icon challenges, I always think my Misc fanart looks better than CSI :shifty: maybe it's just me, so I would like to get other views :)
I totally agree with you on this one. I've recently noticed that there are some scenes where you can't even try to make an icon b/c of a very bad light :wtf:

But I think you did a good job over all with the icons :D

I love the coloring of all of them and I really love how you use both textures and texts. Great cropping too.
But I agree there's a little bit of problem with lights.
The best one, for me, is Nick's one and I love also Danny's one :thumbsup:

happyharper13 overall great icons. I really see an improvement with the coloring.

Probably for the first icon, I would have avoided the brush. I think it looks almost perfect even without it :p

The second icon, to me is almost perfect :thumbsup:

As for the third icon, IDK, the coloring is pretty good. Same thing for the cropping. But I have quite a hard time with the texture and the text you used. Maybe with a slightly different texture (possibely w/o the smoke effect) and a different font, it would be far better :thumbsup:

I'm really not very inspirated today, so I won't comment the art that was posted here, but I promise I'll come back soon with my comments :)

Constructive criticism is more than welcome :D

YAY time for critiscism :lol: *ahem* is that clear tha I love talking? :alienblush:

Anywa, lovely headers...both of them are adorable and soooo cute.

The first one has an amazing coloring especially her skin, which looks perfect, and her eyes which look soooooooooo blue :eek:.
The only problem I can see with this one is the blending...I mean look at Emily's arms (I mean Emily...the one up) and tank top. It really looks it's a ghost coming out from the real Emily :lol:. IDK whether it was on purpose or not, but I have quite a hard time with this kind of image. Probably ereasing a little bit her arm and part of her top would have helped, but I really don't know since I'm not an expert :p

The second one has another amazing coloring over all. I think the problem is the same as before, which is the blending...OMG we have 3 Emilys, cool :eek:! In this particular case, I'd say that the 2 Emilys (oh god, it sounds bad *ahem*, but I really don't know how to refer to those poeple LOL) on the right look to me like Siamese twins before the surgery :wtf::lol:. I'm pretty sure that moving the last Emily could help improving the image I've got in my mind at the moment :p
Also, I LOVE that font, but I would have moved both texts a little bit in the middle of the pic....IDK, it's my personal tastes....I'm not to fond of texts which are too close or on people ;)

Hope I didn't offend you 'cause I really love these headers :thumbsup:

YAY time for critiscism :lol: *ahem* is that clear tha I love talking? :alienblush:

Anywa, lovely headers...both of them are adorable and soooo cute.

The first one has an amazing coloring especially her skin, which looks perfect, and her eyes which look soooooooooo blue :eek:.
The only problem I can see with this one is the blending...I mean look at Emily's arms (I mean Emily...the one up) and tank top. It really looks it's a ghost coming out from the real Emily :lol:. IDK whether it was on purpose or not, but I have quite a hard time with this kind of image. Probably ereasing a little bit her arm and part of her top would have helped, but I really don't know since I'm not an expert :p

The second one has another amazing coloring over all. I think the problem is the same as before, which is the blending...OMG we have 3 Emilys, cool :eek:! In this particular case, I'd say that the 2 Emilys (oh god, it sounds bad *ahem*, but I really don't know how to refer to those poeple LOL) on the right look to me like Siamese twins before the surgery :wtf::lol:. I'm pretty sure that moving the last Emily could help improving the image I've got in my mind at the moment :p
Also, I LOVE that font, but I would have moved both texts a little bit in the middle of the pic....IDK, it's my personal tastes....I'm not to fond of texts which are too close or on people ;)

Hope I didn't offend you 'cause I really love these headers :thumbsup:

Yes, it is clear that you love to talk 'cause your post are always so long :lol: But I love to read them :)

I love how you describe the things, it's so funny :lol:
Thank you for your advises and, no you didn't offend me, why would you? It's your opinion ;)

So, I tryed to change things and here they are a little bit different:

are they a little better or not really?

Yes, it is clear that you love to talk 'cause your post are always so long :lol: But I love to read them :)

I love how you describe the things, it's so funny :lol:
Thank you for your advises and, no you didn't offend me, why would you? It's your opinion ;)

So, I tryed to change things and here they are a little bit different:

are they a little better or not really?[/QUOTE]
You know, I describe they way I use to because I think people can understand me better :D :lol:.

Oh these look much better, especially the second one. But, trust me I loved also the others too (it was just a little bit of weird effect in my mind :lol:)

Anway, love the flowerish style of the first one and OMG you performed the surgery on the second one :eek:. Really really great headers :thumbsup:

I'm currently using Photoshop element 2.0 (I know t's old. I can't afford any of the newer versions). This is my first Natalia wp, please let me know how I can improve.
Click the thumbnail to enlarge:

here it is!

The coloring is great maybe a little bit too orange, but it's great :thumbsup:.
The only thing I'd change is the text. Yep I'm not a fan of that kind of fonts ;)

If you want you could also try to put a texture on it (another one) just to vary a little bit more. Though, it is not necessary, IMO, since this kind of wallpapers look far better without too many decorations ;)

Ok I need a big help and I do need someone who's goin' to tell me how can I improve it.
I actually think I know what the problem is, but I really can't figure out a possible solution to it also b/c I'm not using PS :)() as I'm currently using GIMP.
This is the first icon I consider watchable, but it still looks very grainy and I don't know how to solve this problem. If someone wants to help me, well I love you :lol:.
Bare in mind that it's just an experiment, so please be nice :p

Gosh it's like I've lost all my fan art capacity, you know when you have to learn everything back from the beginning :(:(

Poor Flò *hugs* You'll see you'll have PS again soon ;)

Well, tell me one thing, did you made the coloring and all that stuff after or before resizing the icon?

**hugs back**
Well, tell me one thing, did you made the coloring and all that stuff after or before resizing the icon?
I always crop and resize the icon before making the coloring and all that stuff. At least, I've never had this kind of problem before :lol:

Well, already happenned to me that the icon lost a little of quality when I did the coloring & that stuff after the crop, but I don't know if that's the case :lol:

But I think the icon is very good, actually. It has a little too much yellow, with color balance you can work it out ;)

I'm looking for some insight on these, I've switched to Gimp from Photoshop when my Photoshop decided to explode or something :lol: I'm having trouble with cropping, since the way I cropped with Photoshop isn't available :( I'm also a little sooo used to selective coloring so the icons all look faded to me ... I miss my Photoshop and I wish Adobe would hurry up and mail me my disc :rolleyes:

eads1.png
csinydanny3.png
csinyflack1.png

Danny
Flack

Thanks a lot :)

Back