CSI: Crime Scene Investigation--'Leave Out All The Rest'

Discussion in 'CSI Files News Items' started by CSI Files, Nov 10, 2008.

1. EricaSJ

EricaSJ Judge

Oh ok. Thanks for the explanation. So I guess we can establish that it's their own problem, not anyone else's. :)

I can't agree more. That one is SO true. And the easiest way to realize it probably is taking a look at fandoms. It's interesting that it seems in most fandoms, female fans are the harshest on female characters.

2. Hadapurpura

Hadapurpura Witness

If somebody asks me to kill them an pays me to do so and I do it, I do what people pay me to do. This is not to say what Heather did was wrong (I don't think it was wrong), but it's a verifiable fact that the "violence" factor (not the "sex" factor) of her former profession may be bothering to some people (for example my dad and my brother, who force me to change the channel each time a LH episode airs - guees they like lace and not leather).

Oh, there are reasons why a woman who's married to a good, stable man can leave and take her child/ren. If they're not stable themselves, for example, if they're too young (which seemed to be the case) and she's scared she'll lose her power.

But a TV show is about what you're shown, or at least what has been implied. Five seconds is all we had from the ex-husband and from what Heather said and what the ex-husband has said and done it can't be inferred or suspected that he was abusive.

If a man defends another man, it's male solidarity.
    If a woman defends a man, she's blinded because she probably has a crush on him.
    If a man defends a woman, he's being objective because doesn't have reasons to catfight with her.
    If a woman defends another woman, she has a girlcrush.
    If a man critizices another man, it's because he can see clearly his faults.
    If a woman criticizes a man, she's a feminazi and needs to get laid.
    If a man criticizes a woman he's being objective and saying it as it is.
    If a woman criticizes another woman she's jealous or feels threatened by the other woman's awesomeness and/or rebellion against the establishment.

And speaking of which, what establishment is she exactly against? -> She's in Vegas she fits there, she has good money, she had a kid (and a mansion in the suburbs!) and she beats men for a living! on paper, women should love her.

How can you have two and a half kids?

Well, I agree that Sara has always been too easily available to Grissom, but I don't know much about the chasing. She came to Vegas the minute he called her and left everything she had in San Francisco for it. But she was working as a CSI in San Francisco and really didn't have a lot, and Las Vegas is the #2 lab in the country, is a cheaper city than SF and probably more contacts available. So, it wasn't such a doormat-ey decision after all. And later she got this pseudoboyfriend (then again, not waiting for him that much). And then, she asked him one time, one and only one time to go have dinner together - he said no, she didn't insist. She stayed in Vegas and didn't have a boyfriend at that time, but wouldn't it be more weakening to leave her job and/or get a boyfriend just because Grissom said no? She needs to bring home the (soy) bacon too, even if its just one portion for her. And finally, just before they got together (probably because Grissom finally decided to give the big step) Sara and Greg were bonding a lot, there was something heppening there and well, that could have been what prompted Grissom to act. All of this to say she was there around Grissom, but doing her own thing, not actively "waiting".

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  3. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

I agree with this statement 100 per cent!

Female fans are harder on the female characters whether it be Sara, Catherine or Lady Heather and now even Riley.

4. Jacqui

Jacqui Police Officer

Hadapurpura: I don't even know where to start. I don't care to have your opinion shoved down my throat. I tried to present an alternate view of Lady Heather and your response is to dismiss my perfectly valid points? You think Lady Heather is a wh*re. OK. I get it - and I don't mind that your opinion is different from mine. In fact, I value it, because hearing and learning about others' perspectives is part of how we learn. I think Sara can be angsty and whiney. My opinion isn't any more or less valid than yours. It's just an opinion, OK?

Ultimately, there isn't anything that I can say to you that you won't say is wrong, so I think the best course of action for me here is to just shut up.

5. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

What I'm idly curious about is what has Sarah being doing all this time? I mean, we know she's on a ship now, but how has she being earning her keep this past year? Would she have gotten some sort of compensation for her kidnap ordeal? If she couldn't be a CSI in Vegas, she probably couldn't hack it anywhere else either.

(and as for female fans being harsher on female characters. My main problem is that so many female characters are just badly written. Whether that's because there's a lot more male writers and show creators or not, I don't know)

6. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

I wondered that as well, but on 'Jorja Passionate Heart" thread, thank's to HoneyBee she cleared that up she's volunteering on this ship, and so her room & board are paid for, but all things come to an end, and this will to.. And I just don't put that much stock in Lady Heather, she's been a 'guest' who's only been featured 5 times in 9 years, she's just not that important, and Gissom isn't interested in her that much, or he'd be with her:rolleyes:

http://www.seashepherd.org/

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  7. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Well, I think you have a very good point and IMHO, it's a combination of factors including more male writers and show creators than female and even when there are female writers.

Having said that, even if it was vice versa, there's no guarantee the female characters on CSI would be any better written because the writers are female.

CSI has never been very good with character development in general because the focus was so much on the foresnics.

But at times, they have shown some interesting scenes with the women-having them use power tools, going through sewers-so in that case, they did well.

LOATR certainly hit a nerve with a lot of fans though-but all in all, I think Grissom went to Lady H simply because he knew she would give him the answers he would be searching for. If he talked to Catherine or Nick or anyone on the team, it would be difficult because he's their boss and (other than Catherine) he'd be wondering if they were just saying he needed to be with Sara because a. she's their friend b. he's their boss.

Maybe he didn't want to talk to Cat because he didn't want to burden her with his own grief.

Lady H was the safest person for him to go go. He knows she's finished with him in a romantic sense, but at the same time, there is still a connection there. Not a romantic one though.

8. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Well said and there isn't anything you can say that will be right, because in their eyes Sara can do no wrong. :rolleyes: and Grissom for that matter. :rolleyes:

I've always liked Grissom's character and I always will, but putting him with Sara was a mistake. I don't care if that is what was originally planned. Plans change. For instance, Nick is no where near what tptb originally planned for his character, so the fact that tptb originally had Sara to be his love interest is a mute point.

Also, just because both Petersen and Fox have said in interviews they are glad it happened, doesn't mean they do actually agree with it. Yes, Peteresen is Executive Producer, but he doesn't own the show and if tptb want something, they'll get it.

Yes, we've only seen LH a few times, but that doesn't mean Grissom hasn't seen her more than that. Maybe they should just bring back Terri Miller (divorced) and take Grissom away from it all.

However, LH is still a strong woman and she has her faults, just like Sara and just like Grissom. So Sara and Grissom need to come down off that pedastal they've been put on, because they aren't perfect either.

9. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Excellent point Speedy. And you know what? I don't think GSR fans want anyone near Grissom and well...that's the way they are. It's part of a the fandom.

I mean I'm a Nick/Mandy shipper but hey..that doesn't mean the TPTB are going to go along with what I want..and I just have to accept it..

10. Jacqui

Jacqui Police Officer

:D

11. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Guys, please let's avoid attacking other fans. There are actually a lot of valid points on both sides that are getting lost in the shuffle because of it. Debate the points as passionately as you want, but don't get personal with other posters.

The point about many female characters not being well written in a valid one. And even well written characters often get put into some pretty dumb situations IMO. Most of the female characters in the CSI franchise have been victimized at one point or another, and that's not always true of their male counterparts.

12. Hadapurpura

Hadapurpura Witness

Look:

1. I'm giving my opinion, but not shoving it on anyone's throats.

2. I have done everything but dismiss your points. Au contraire, I've taken each one of your points and offered arguments about why my points differ from yours - that's what a discussion is about, that's showing respect. As opposed to - for example - saying that you must be wrong because you are this or that or that you have the opinion you do because this or that surely happened to you or something.

3. While I do think LH is a wh*re, I don't think being a wh*re is bad, and that fact is (obviously) not what makes me (and other people) dislike her. I thought the difference was sufficiently explained in my earlier posts.

4. Your opinions are your opinions and my opinions are my opinions, but if one enters to a discussion, one should excpect more than just posts quoting what one said and saying "ITA." And of course, answer arguments with arguments, not with suggestions about the nature of the author of those opinions.

OT: Hey, what happened with "Say Uncle"?

13. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

This is a discussion board, not a debate board. And at some point, someone's gotta give.

There's a difference between discussing an episode and taking someone's argument and dissecting it down-in the latter you are in fact shoving your opinion down everyone's throat. It comes across the computer screen that way. It makes me want to just walk away. It's one thing to take a point of someone's argument and say 'I disagree' but you go one step further and totally pick away and twist an argument until there's nothing left all for the purpose of making sure you are right. It's not about discussion, it's about forcing your opinion down someone's throat because they feel they cant' come on here for fear of having their points ripped to shreads.

This isn't a high school or university debate class-this is a discussion board where we talk in a 'friendly' manner to one another.

All you are doing is risking yourself going on a lot of poster's ignore list-like as of now, like as of now you are on mine.

14. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Guys, I would hate to have to close down this thread, but if things can't continue civilly, that's what's going to have to happen. It is okay to quote someone's post and counter their argument--that's what this board is here for. It permits both discussion and debate. So long as it's civil and personal insults aren't thrown around, intensive discussion is allowed. That's what this board is here for; it's not shoving an opinion down someone's throat so much as it is offering up a detailed discussion. Again, that's what we're all here for.

Two additional things: if you put someone on ignore, keep it private. Telling them you're putting them on ignore is unnecessary and can be deemed trolling. Secondly, leave moderating to the moderators. Don't tell other posters how to post; it's not your place.

Now, can we get back on topic, please? Thanks.

15. m1304m

m1304m Dead on Arrival

Thank you again Desertwind and Hadapurpura. I totally agree with you that Grissom and Sara was always going to be a couple (truly, spoken as Head of Graveyeard shift)

I have always believed and still believe that Grissom and Sara will ride off into the Desert Sunset.

To FutureCSI - "Yes, we have the right to voice our opinion" Honestly, i never meant to offend anyone. I f i had knowingly done that, PLEASE ACCEPT my APOLOGY. I am being sincere here. :)

There is one thing we all have in common - we are FANS of CSI. And that all that matters!!! :thumbsup:

The CONFESSION of an Ultimate fan of CSI

FYI, I am not a fan of GSR! i just happen to like them as a couple (oops, there goes my probicous, an inch longer!!!)
    To truth is that i rather have Grissom all to myself!!! :drool:

Most of you know by now that i am a rabid fan og CSI. I have a huge, huge crush on Grissom/William Peterson. I have all William Peterson's movies/dvds and collect everything I can on CSI and/or William Peterson.

Jacqui - "I dont have the time to memorize episodes and quotes and scene numbers" - The truth is that i was born with a brilliant memory. In Season 7 Episode 6 Grissom said that "memory is a gift from god". So is mine :)

Ofcourse it does help when i have watched each episode atleast 30 times!!! It is NOT AN OBSESSION - i simply never get tired of it!!!

CSI writers have always said that they try to make the show as real as possible. In real life, if a man, wheter he is in public office/head of a law enforcement or any prominent office had any association with a Dominatirx - it is a smal dunk! A field day for the press - no matter what the relationship is.

"Distinctly remembers Catherine and Lady Heather getting along well when they met" - When they first met, Catherine did not know about Lady Heather.

In Season 7 Episode 23, Catherine "reprimanded" Grissiom and was tempted to slap him for associating himself and spending the whole night at lady Heather's home.

"My husband does not take a phone call in a restraunt and he is locked in life with me"

Well, it does not work for everyone. Most doctors are on 24hrs call, So are CSIs. With the Economy this bad, Joe the Plumber will have to leave his cell on 24hrs!!!

Have a great weekend people!!

PS...does anyone know what there is no review on Say Uncle - besides my reiview. I would love to read Kristine's review!!