Criminal Minds #3: Beware The Office Of Unfettered Omniscience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also From EW: 'Criminal Minds' update: Cook and Brewster returning — but for how long?

It looks like all those letters, tweets, and petitions (sort of) paid off: Exiting Criminal Minds star A.J. Cook will be back this fall for a brief stint to tie up JJ’s storyline.

Additionally, a Minds source confirms that her costar Paget Brewster — who has been ironing out a reduced-episode arrangement with the show — has finalized a deal to return as well.

Keep reading for details on the length of the actresses’ respective returns…

“Thanks for your undying support but it’s a done deal,” Cook confirmed this evening via Twitter. “I’ll be doing 2 [episodes] to wrap up [my storyline]. [I am] excited for what’s next and hope you’ll come along!”

Brewster, meanwhile, will be back as Prentiss for “a significant number of episodes,” says a Minds insider.

The CBS procedural is also moving forward with plans to introduce a new female agent at some point this fall.

--------

Okay sounds to me like AJ seems pretty okay with the way its going. Also her comment about what the future holds sounds to me a little bit like the creative differences wasn't a total lie, or excuse (or sexist or blondist) I am sure it was financial, and Creative. But if AJ is even a little okay with it. IMO I am, and wish her the best. But I do hope she does an interview when she is ready telling a little bit more on what happened, and her future work.

Last edited:
I like AJ's attitude, reminds me of Emmanuelle's when she was let go from CSI: NY. I wish her all the best. She will be missed. I hope to see her on the CSIs! A guest spot would be nice! A recurring character would be great! Two episodes. sigh.

I'm glad AJ is taking it so well, but I'm not. I do NOT want a new female cast member... I don't want just two episodes to wrap of JJ's story. I want JJ there all the the time. Next to Reid and Garcia, she is my favorite character. I am still not happy about this and I still think the show's ratings are going to sink, at least for a while. I mean, look for example at CSI's ratings after Billy left and Ray came in. In the beginning, the ratings were sinking, which is probably why they brought back Sara cause when they did that, the ratings went up a little bit. But any time you change the cast dynamics of a successful this far in, its going to cause issues with the ratings. It was one thing to get rid of Elle because it was only what, Season 2 or 3? So it was early on. It's one thing to write off Gideon, they really had no choice since the actor didn't show up... but this... this is different. I mean, I'll still watch the show, but I can still say with pretty much 80% accuracy that the ratings are going to slip some. Whether it'll be a lot or a little is up to the majority of the fans, but mark my words, they will slip some. I think at some point CBS will be kicking themselves in the butt for making this mistake cause I do think the show will suffer... if not ratings wise, it will suffer creatively because they've destroyed the amazing dynamic chemistry between this cast.

Yeah but back then Mandy (Gideon) was considered the draw (sorry not a big fan so I didn't see why), so then when Joe (Rossi) came on, people much like those with AJ swore rating decreases, that they wouldn't watch without him, that they also didn't want a new person brought in they loved the actor/character and they wanted him or the show cancelled. - Some of those same people have come around with Joe (Rossi) they still miss Gideon, but they admit that Rossi is a good character. I don't think anyone is necessairly replacing someone they (like with Joe/Rossi) are bringing in someone new) not to mention that it tends to depend on what the send off for JJ is going to be like.

Thing is I am not sure if the rating's decreasing will be due to AJ or not because the show is in season 6, while its ratings were in good shape (considering writer problems, etc.) this past season, dips up and down would not be uncommon. - Also I am going to reserve judgement until I know who the new actress is, what her character is like, who it is, etc. As much as I love AJ's character, we don't know it about the new one.

Okay twitter time.

PAGET (with something interesting) :
-So how do I thank 42,309 people.. It worked. Thank you, everyone. Thank you for helping and supporting me and AJ. Thank you for everything!
-PS- I should clarify. I am immensely grateful. I'm still angry about AJ. I'm sad this is my last year. But I wanted to thank the fans...

KV:
-@ pagetpaget 42,308 folks & I all love u and @ ajcookofficial like crazytown. I will make out in a closet w the 7headed CM monster foreverxxoo

The 41-year-old actress will appear in at least 10 of the 13 episodes this fall, and she is likely to appear in several more during the back half of the season, a source told TVGuide.com.
Interesting.... Eva LaRue (CSI:Miami) was in 10 out of 13 episodes in the first half as well. Appearing in 9 out of 11 in the latter half of the season. Sounds like the same thing here, although with Eva it wasn't spoken of -- she'd just disappear every once in awhile & fans had no idea what was going on.

For Paget, that's better than what I was originally imagining. I was fearing she'd be reduced more than that. It's still a shame though, & I can't comprehend this decision on her part or AJ's -- especially AJ's.
I love the show so I will likely continue to watch without her, but I can't say I'm looking forward to a new character to replace her. Creatively it makes sense to add fresh blood, but axing a fan-favorite is harsh. It's too bad.

Character-wise, I really hope they plan to give JJ a decent send-off (though 2 episodes isn't much time). I'd hate to see any deaths in this case.

Best of luck to AJ, and kudos for taking it so well. She seems like a sweetie - I'll be sad to see her go.

I'm sad this is my last year. But I wanted to thank the fans...
That was from Paget? :(

Oh no, it's Paget's last year? :( Apparently the new actress is replacing both her and AJ. Looks like TPTB want to make the changes gradual. I think JJ's gonna make it alive. I'm not so sure with Emily. I may be wrong but we'll see.

I hope not. She will probably change her mind as soon as the 6th season is over. They said, the actress taking over for AJ, not Paget.

I'm sad this is my last year. But I wanted to thank the fans...
That was from Paget? :(

Yep it was. When I post tweets from the cast I post either their initials or their name (PB or Paget) above the tweet so that folks know which person it came from.

Course maybe she is on a year by year basis not unusual for a show going into the 6th. Sort of like testing the waters to see how they are going to do. I am not saying that is what is happening. It depends on what she negotated, the others may have say last year or before that negotated and her contract wasn't up for that. Other then that maybe she only wanted to go year by year, or wants to do other things and like I mentioned might want to call it after season six, allowing her time to wrap up her character.

My fear is when is everyone elses contracts up? Because if they are all up say at the end of season 6. Will they want to reup them or will this be the end of the show (not based on ratings but rather contract wise)? Something I wouldn't want to see happen but if that means going out on a good note then so be it. But I hope that some of the characters go over to the spinoff in someways because then we still get to see them. Guess we will have to wait on this.

Given how great the chemistry of this cast is and how well the show has been doing I'm really surprised all these changes are taking place. I would've expected this of a lot of other shows before CM. AJ leaving, Paget in less episodes, new actress coming in, and now Paget probably having her last season :(. That's a lot of changes.

While Criminal Minds had some great episodes in Season 5, it also had some major doozies and many of the episodes felt uneven family wise etc.
IMO, it suffered the same problem Cold Case, CSI and many other shows did, the writer's strike.
Many of the writers that worked for these shows were fired or didn't come back after the strike ended. I'm sure many viewers of these shows will tell you that while the shows were still good, in many cases it wasn't the same as it was pre-strike.
I truly believe this will be the last season of Criminal Minds and several other shows as well. And in a way, I have a feeling that's exactly what CBS wants.
To save $$$ by axing older shows to make way for the new ones.

Thanks for the info.

Tweets time

PB: (speaking for Shemar)
-Yo, yo, yo, Shemar here. Is that Padma Lakshmi chick on that cooking show married ? I'd like to show her a tiger attack, yo...

KV:
-Oh I how love it when @ Pagetpaget becomes Shemar

Gia Mantegna (Joe's daughter):
-Anxiously awaiting news about Criminal Minds! Does CBS' recent decision affect whether or not YOU'LL continue to tune in? I'm curious...
-As a true fan of the show, I will support & enjoy #CriminalMinds regardless of the change. I think AJ and Paget would want it that way!

In my opinion, many will still tune in despite the changes. There might be a decrease in ratings but not to the point of cancellation. The decrease can be caused by the cast changes, poor writing (started this past season), stronger opposite shows (I read that SVU is working on the 'Precious' star to be a cast member; Glee! I don't watch it but many do :lol:) etc.

If next season will be CM's last, I won't be surprised. But I doubt it though. I would like CM to end within 2 or 3 years on a high note than 10 years yet awful/boring. CM isn't like CSI. It's difficult to write a serial killer per episode. There will be times they will just recycle episodes.

It makes me sad to even think about the end of the show.:(I want it to end in a high note before the quality goes down.Sort of like Lost.I hope it's not Paget last season .Yes ,CSI survived without Grissom but it's not the same and while Paget is not the main lead,it's just one more thing against.But as long as we can have episodes like "100","Lo fi" I will always be a fan.

Well this is why there is A&E, and ION. Not to mention DVD's, etc.

Twitter time..

JM:
-Joe Mantegna Sings The Stretch (NOTE remember he mentioned singing at the ball game and boy was he energetic lol)
-look at this! (NOTE it's a pic created by someone for Joe)

ETA: More Tweets:

MGG:
-Pretty much officially lost my mind. I'm gonna go turn myself into the cops, for what I don't know, but maybe they can give me some soup

Gia Mantegna (Joe's daughter apparently when your bored you tweet this tongue twister)
-How many tweets could a twitter twit tweet if a twitter twit could tweet tweets?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back