Criminal Minds #3: Beware The Office Of Unfettered Omniscience

Status
Not open for further replies.
TvGuide Online

Criminal Minds' A.J. Cook Thanks Fans as Online Petition Launches

A.J. Cook has thanked fans for their "kind words and support" as they launched an online petition protesting her dismissal from Criminal Minds.

"Your kind words and support have made me feel wanted and loved!"
she tweeted Wednesday. "I love my castmates more then I can say, but they already know that. Thanks!!!"

The 31-year-old, who has played Agent Jennifer "J.J." Jareau since the first season, was dropped for "creative reasons," a source close to the show told TVGuide.com on Tuesday. She will be replaced with a new actress during the CBS drama's upcoming sixth season.

As of early Wednesday afternoon, the petition has more than 12,000 signatures. The petition also objects to cast member
Paget Brewster's demotion next season. Brewster is currently in negotiations to return for a reduced number of episodes. She also took to Twitter to thank fans — and to vent her frustration.

"Creative Reasons" has been an Executive Bulls--- excuse for DECADES. It IS financial. AJ is a dreamboat. And yes, I am hurt, too," she tweeted. "Thanks to all the fans. From me, AJ and the cast. We love you. We will always appreciate your support. You are kind and wonderful. KISSES!!"

Thomas Gibson, Joe Mantegna, Shemar Moore, Matthew Gray Gubler and Kirsten Vangsness are all expected to return next season. All of them — save for Moore who does not have a Twitter account — have tweeted their support for Cook and Brewster, and have directed fans to the petition.

"To say we're all mystified and disappointed is an understatement...
all the fan support is much appreciated!" Gibson tweeted. "Stay tuned..."

I don't believe that the decision itself is inherently sexist. I think CBS is just stupid, but that's for a separate rant. For the life of me I can't find the source of that "male viewers" thing, so let's just pretend I didn't say that. :lol:

Personally, I love what Joe's daughter Gia wrote:

-Hearing disappointing news about the women of our beloved #CriminalMinds... They may cut their roles, but they CAN'T cut their TALENT.

14845, guys! When we hit 15000, think CBS'll start listening?

Probably someone who posted it, couldn't back it and removed it, could that be why you might not be able to find it? (I don't have twitter sad I know I am too told lmao my excuse) So I am not sure if it can work that way.

On one tweet it was mentioned someone was promising free gift or something and when confronted the person deleted the who twitter page (I clicked it was gone), Another tweeted that Nina Tassler of CBS defended Charlie Sheen, no back up link to a story so I went searching and found nothing except where she defended him in May of 2010 in an upfront meeting. I am guessing that is what they meant.

So you said something about something? :lol: I read nothing :cool: about whatever your talking about. ;)

BTW I think I read that something like 12 mil viewers watched the show, if you can get 15000 sigs in what 24 hrs? Maybe 36 hrs? That is pretty good. Hope someone alerted CBS about it. I mean other then the cast. :lol: They are very close to that 15000 mark now.

There have been a couple UnSubs with absolutely no sympathy. The guy from "Limelight" certainly qualifies, as does Luke Perry's character in "Minimal Loss" (it's not even like he killed a bunch of people. He was just generally a complete bastard.). The guy from "Lucky" and the guy from "Penelope" both are terrible people, too, as is the paralized brother from "To Hell... And Back." I didn't give a damn that he was paralized, and nearly applauded when the guy shot him.

there have been a couple, yeah, but mostly i usually feel some kind of empathy/sympathy even for the unsubs, which i like really, i think it's too one dimensional when shows have only killers who are evil bastards with no redeeming features, it's nice to be reminded they're human.

Criminal Minds fans unite.....

CBS has announced, on 6/14/10 that AJ Cook (JJ) will not be returning next season (translation: she got fired) and that Paget Bewster's (Emily) episodes will be reduced to an undisclosed amount but she will still have "regular cast" status (think Adam Rodriguez only she gets to be in the opening credits) Leaving Kirsten Vangness (Garcia) the only full time female cast member on the show.

Basically making the show an "all boys club"

Then CBS announced the next day that after firing AJ and reducing Paget's time they would be hiring a new actress sometime mid season to replace AJ Cook as a full time cast member.

Article: http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2010/06/...rops-a-j-cook/

All this is supposedly because of "creative decisions" which is just TV speak for "we want to save money." No one is buying it though b/c Paget tweeted that it WAS in fact about money and always IS about money. The entire cast are standing behind AJ and Paget and have even posted on their twitter pages a link to a petition started by the fans to have CBS reverse the decision.

Petition: http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_pe...ed.cgi?cmwomen

We, fans of the show, are emploring other fans to sign the peition and email CBS telling them to reverse their decision. You can give feedback to CBS by going to their website, scrolling to the bottom and clicking the "feedback" button.

There is also a blog, which CBS big wigs actually visit....as do the writers for the show.

Blog: https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?bl...46491462173288

So please, please show your support for the show and its two leading ladies. Remember we were on the other end of this situation last year with Adam and CSI Miami....and in the end the fans were able to convince the network to bring him back. That needs to be done here!

CSI Miami just decided not to pick up the contract option Eddie Cibrian Claiming downsizing, then turns around and says its because Adam R. Came back. Takes out the sexist thought on it all. CBS just can't figure out what their doing.

Just to let you know delkolover, we have all that for I think the last three pages. ;) No harm done though. :)

Financial - maybe. I read somewhere that Criminal Minds has a smaller ad rate than CSI: NY which is an hour later. So if they can't increase the show's ad rate then, they don't have a choice but to cut the cast.

Or maybe not. Why the hell are they hiring a new actress? Is she getting a full time than Paget?

I hope they bring back Jordan Todd. But since she left the BAU because she couldn't stand the darkness surrounding the job, maybe it's kind of impossible.

If CBS wants more male viewers, why are they firing AJ and demoting Paget?! Stupid CBS. I can't watch CM with all men talking about serial killers. It's boring! I love Garcia but she isn't enough. Can't they understand - Criminal Minds is dark, gruesome, and creepy. It needs a lot of life!

Last edited:
Ech. I hope they don't bring back Todd.

CBS just doesn't know what the hell it's doing. But, y'know, they've never really cared about CM. It's a top show that gets great ratings and yet it's always left out when it comes to commercials and stuff. It took me about a year to find a shirt that was even somewhat related to CM, and I had to go to a non-CBS store to get it. They just don't care about CM, so they just don't care about whether these cuts will be useful.

I feel bad for whoever would end up replacing AJ. The rest of the BAU cast is so close that it might be hard for them to completely get over it.

BTW This was on Joe's Twitter

-This is the first I have heard about anything involving the cast. I don't have any answers for you all yet. When I find out more I'll post.

I will keep you updated as he does.

there's been a pretty big tweeting campaign about this - i don't know how official either ajcook's twitter or paget's are, but both have commented on it.

if it is true - it just seems bizarre; firstly because they're such a strong team cast and to get rid of one and a half people from it will have a major impact; 2ndly because there are only 3 women in that cast anyway, and so cutting 2 will make for a huge imbalance. obviously garcia's massively popular and a great character but having her be the only woman makes no sense at all, especially as she so rarely goes into the field, it'll make for a very strange gender dynamic. i know they've said they'll be bringing in another female - which again seems bizarre, why cut 1.5 members for budget and then bring another in? didn't they see what happened to haylen becall?!!!

also, just from a sexism point of view - if budget is the only reason, why are none of the men being cut? what is so wrong with the female characters? don't they realise that people like to see a good mix of gender on these shows? i'm not, btw, suggesting that any of the male cast *should* be cut specifically, i just think it's ridiculous when these cuts are made it always seems to be the women that get it in the neck.

The twitter accounts for both AJ and Paget are legit it is them. Same for Matthew, Thomas, Joe & Kristen. Some are waiting (it can take up to a month or so) to be varified (like Joe's is) apparently Twitter will Varify the celebs account but at one point I read it took about 5 weeks or more depending when the celeb put in for it and whether or not someone told them to.

Shemar had a twitter but that one turned out to be fake. He is said to be doing another one (no time frame given) but he was leery after the fake one on doing it but peer pressure (as said by the cast) got him to agree to do it. Until then he tends to tweet using the cast lol.

From EW:
Question: I’m totally brokenhearted that A.J. Cook’s contract with Criminal Minds is not being renewed. Please tell me that they’re going to have her come back long enough to explain JJ’s departure and give her a proper send-off!
Ausiello:
Per a Minds insider, “Details about the character’s exit are still being worked out.” In related news, if signing petitions is your thing, here’s one aimed at getting Cook her job back.

BTW last check almost 18000 sigs as of 9:12 am et.

From Joe's Facebook
-Joe Mantegna We are all at a loss for words. My advice is, fans should make themselves heard.

I think it is about sexism, and financial. The network doesn't want to pay women as much as men, and they feel that they can be easily replaced, so women actors have no negotiating power during contract talks. Easy come, easy go in CBS minds. I've never been a regular viewer of Criminal Minds, but do people really watch for the 'eye candy'? It's such a dark show. JJ added some much needed humanity, IMO, and Paget was realistic in her role.
Eddie Cibrian being let go doesn't mean anything since Adam Rodriquez is coming back. It's not just about the number of men vs. women; it's about the disrespect for female actors in general, who work just as hard as the men. Look at the landscape of CBS shows; only 2 female leads, Julianna Margulies and Patricia Arquette. Thank god for cable, and Tina Fey!

Well I can only go by what Paget said in her tweet I posted earlier, she is being blunt in it. And what hasn't been said.

BTW another tweet by her [Paget]
-In Miami, heading home. It's really nice seeing all of your tweets, guys & dolls. The rum-punches helped me out, too. I won't lie...

Actually I believe that ABC has the rights to the show and CBS airs it. Remember the ghost whisperer argument about renewel? As to women in the industry, it's not anyone network, they have all done it, just like they [all networks] have been accused of being sexist, racist, just plain dumb, you name it. Would the same apply if it were opposite on CM only two men and all the rest women and they did that to the men? Thats all I am saying.

Last edited:
I think it is about sexism, and financial. The network doesn't want to pay women as much as men, and they feel that they can be easily replaced, so women actors have no negotiating power during contract talks. Easy come, easy go in CBS minds. I've never been a regular viewer of Criminal Minds, but do people really watch for the 'eye candy'? It's such a dark show. JJ added some much needed humanity, IMO, and Paget was realistic in her role.
Eddie Cibrian being let go doesn't mean anything since Adam Rodriquez is coming back. It's not just about the number of men vs. women; it's about the disrespect for female actors in general, who work just as hard as the men. Look at the landscape of CBS shows; only 2 female leads, Julianna Margulies and Patricia Arquette. Thank god for cable, and Tina Fey!

I'd have rather lost Arquette than either Cook or Brewster.

18981!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back