Character flaws, foibles, annoyances and aggravations

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Faylinn, Jan 16, 2008.

1. althea

althea Lab Technician

^^ I absolutely hate it when the characters know everything about anything in a nano second you'll have two characters mulling over a piece of evidence and can't figure out what in the hell it is and another will walk in and in bat of an eyelid will know exactly what it is! Now I'm not doubting that we have some pretty smart people here but come on really now. And coincidentally a scene I really enjoyed was in Dancing with Fishes with Hawkes and Danny sitting with books and actually searching for answers for a change.

2. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

Starring Stella BOOBasera :D

3. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Technically Angell has only been on the show since the first episode of season 3, and this was the first time we'd actually heard her name on the show itself, so I guess there was just a discrepancy between the facts and the press releases and such. I suppose they started out with Jennifer and switched to Jessica later on--the press releases took longer to make the change, but the spoilers have said Jessica for a while.

4. Sammy11

Sammy11 Police Officer

You've all made great points about the characters, and I pretty much agree with all of them.

I would like to see someone other than Flack tell Mac how it is. I felt with those particular scenes in Season 3 that Mac almost dimissed Flack's (very good) opinion regarding how he should handling things, for whatever reason. I got the feeling it was because he was younger, perhaps a little hot headed (although as we've seen many times that he is out done there by Mac and Danny), and maybe a little be inferior intellectually - although that is purely my opinion and as we've seen this season Flack has been Mac's shoulder to lean on.

Danny never really annoys or irritates me but sometimes I do want to give him a good talking too. This IMO is more the writers fault than the actors, apart from Lindsey - don't get me started :rolleyes: - and rescuing Hawkes and Adam, physically. I don't think i've ever seen Danny really step up and be THERE for a member of the team emotionally. Fair enough, at least it is continuity ;) but there have been times, especially in Season 3 where I felt perhaps Danny should have been a better friend to Flack specifically, after all the guy has been there for him. This lack of support for me made Danny seem a bit flaky and I don't believe the character is meant to come across like that at all, CG never plays him like that - he is shown to be incredibly loyal about the people he cares about. It's probably my biggest gripe.

Even though Adam is not shown nearly enough. I think the writers and actor have flashed out an incredbly good character, i feel i know more about Adam than i do about Lindsey, which when you think about it is pretty sad, since Adam is just a recurring character!!

Regarding Flack, I do feel he is a bit Super!Flack. He is all things to all men. He plays it by the book (although he does bend the rules for the people he cares about most. Hee!), he is a rock for most of the team, Mac, Stella (in All Access), Danny - to many to name - he hands out advice, he is the humour and is often used to represent us the audience. He can deal with hardend thugs, fruitloop and wackadoos, never falls prey to a person's sob stories although i agree with the poster on here that pointed out he often jumps on evidence without the benefit of context, but then that is his job and in fairness to Flack, Mac couldn't prove that it wasn't the suspect he had a gut feeling it wasn't and set about proving that. I'm going to digress, how many times has Mac jumped on Danny for that!? regarding Flack's snark, I personally like it, i see it as the characters way of protecting himself and his emotions, we've never really seen Flack totally lose it, worried, pissed off, angry, disgusted, happy even, but never a complete breakdown (and i'm not sure we ever would or would want to because that just isn't Flack) and IMO his snark is to make sure he doesn't.

I feel like i have rambled. apologies.

Edited: As good grammar and punctuation is the backbone of society, according to my mother.

5. Tequesta

Tequesta Rookie

I have to agree with that. That's the only thing that annoys me about Flack. Everything else is fine :)

Another person that really annoyed me was Peyton. Why was she added onto the show? It just made no sense to me at all :confused:.

Although Mac has his good points, they can also be his bad points. I understand the whole respect, morals and integrity thing, but he can be a bit of a hypocrite at times. He doesn't seem to realize that he too has character flaws.

6. Sammy11

Sammy11 Police Officer

Whilst I agree, i think it the point of the obsession case was that Flack learnt the hard way, he believed the criminal in the end, he did the investigation himself before he turned his fellow officer over to Mac. We've all been there at work, your boss accuses one of you team of not doing something, you work with them so you feel you have to protect them. Flack was responsible for that raid at the end of the day, someone on his watch screwed him over. I think thats what hurt Flack more (like discovering his mentor messed up) I don't think Flack really believes that cops can do no wrong it's just he has high expectations of the people that are around him. Although totally my own view and I can see what everyone else means.

Completely agree, she was there only for Mac and that annoyed me (did Robert Joy have other commitments?) plus i couldn't stand her accent and I'm English! We don't enunciate every little word. Grrr!

7. HoratioFan4ever

HoratioFan4ever Hit and Run

Um, not much to complain about, however, Stella needs to wear sweaters more often! (I think you know what I mean)!
    Um, Lindsay, I won't even go their, or I'll be at the computer for a month!
    I love the rest, and I just gotta spread the Angell love! She's totally awesome!!!!

8. Sammie

Sammie Rookie

I love all the characters because of there flaws. None of the characters feel too perfect, its their realism that draws me in to it.

9. HoratioFan4ever

10. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

HoratioFan - I love Angell too. She and Flack are soooooooooo cute together, but she's a great character in her own right.
    Sammmie-like you, the characters' flaws is what draws me to them (except for Lindsey. I do like her better in s2 than later on though). Who wants perfect people? They're boring and don't really exist because no-one is pefect.

11. HoratioFan4ever

Yep!
    I am just praying that they make her a regular!

12. cSiNyFrEaK30

cSiNyFrEaK30 Police Officer

lol How about Chad, anyone...? Poor little lab techies...

13. poison girl

poison girl Pathologist

I liked Chad too, and Dr Zao was the one that worked as a waiter in a party when to pay for his studies? I don't remember who was, but I believe it was him. Dr Pino was great too, but I believe if he was a really big fan of the Giants wouln't be touching and opening bodies with his Tshirt on, after all, it could get dirty.

Back to the topic in this thread, I con't stand the way Mac has to know all about everything. Maybe he's the boss and has more practice, but shouldn't we see some research as it was said before? After all, they're supposed to investigate, not to know everything.

14. cSiNyFrEaK30

cSiNyFrEaK30 Police Officer

Yeah, I never liked the way Mac seems to know everything, too. He is really high and mighty sometimes, and it turns him off to me as a character. Hawkes can get away with being a human an encyclopedia, though, and it works for him =]

15. miss_blue

miss_blue Lab Technician

Mac: I really hate the look in his eyes.. that 2 seconds look after he says his punch line.. and he's looking at the other person standing in front of him of staring into the void.. it just annoys me
    Stella: You're a woman grow some freakin' emotions!
    Danny: You're a man.. Grow wp!