Character Development/Screentime Discussion

I feel the opposite I think that LF's as Dr. Ray extrodinary acting has brought the show to a new fresher higher level. He kicks a.. on the delivery of his dialogue, his timing so precise. And his ability to bond and mesh with the whole team is beguiling. There's no innner turmoil nor feuding amonst the team as their was when Grissom was the lead. He had zero social skills. Ray has astonishing social skills. What's so remarkable is how his character has learned so fast and the chemistry with the team is intoxciating. There's so much more respect between the team now then prior~ my views!

There's as just as much respect between the team when Grissom was there and now. There was not constant turmoil and feuding between this two characters.

Boy, DW, you used to gush how perfect Grissom was and really seem to hate Grissom and Petersen since he left. Now it's gushing over Langston and Fishburne (which fine you really like him and the character. I do like Langston too, but not the way tptb have handled his character) and no matter how much gushing you or someone else does he isn't that perfect. No one is.

The cast can say how much they like him, like to work him, etc. and I'm sure it is true, but you can also be sure that they're not happy with Langston getting all the screentime, especially when they've been since the beginning. William Petersen would not have let that happen.

No matter what, character development and screentime of the supporting characters were a little better when Petersen was there. Petersen is the one that insisted the cast be an ensemble and that worked.

Now it's just Ray, Ray, Ray. Though as a fan of Nick I'm glad he's been more in the forefront and getting the screentime he so rightly deserves.

There's as just as much respect between the team when Grissom was there and now. There was not constant turmoil and feuding between this two characters.

Boy, DW, you used to gush how perfect Grissom was and really seem to hate Grissom and Petersen since he left. Now it's gushing over Langston and Fishburne (which fine you really like him and the character. I do like Langston too, but not the way tptb have handled his character) and no matter how much gushing you or someone else does he isn't that perfect. No one is.

The cast can say how much they like him, like to work him, etc. and I'm sure it is true, but you can also be sure that they're not happy with Langston getting all the screentime, especially when they've been since the beginning. William Petersen would not have let that happen.

No matter what, character development and screentime of the supporting characters were a little better when Petersen was there. Petersen is the one that insisted the cast be an ensemble and that worked.

Now it's just Ray, Ray, Ray. Though as a fan of Nick I'm glad he's been more in the forefront and getting the screentime he so rightly deserves.

I'm in complete agreement with this. You said it great. :)

Hey speedy I don't want a feud with any fan on this board let alone on this topic. I did love Grissom, but he's gone isn't he? People change their minds, don't they? And Ray was hired as his replacement, that's a fact. Now fans can admire him, or not that's their choice. I did see alot of angst between team members in the past, and not once have I seen any arguing now, between them now. And Grissom did have as much screentime as his replacement. I just see this character as a exceptional team member on the show and hope to see how they work his wife into this season, and who will she be? I'm glad you love Nick who doesn't, and he's got mega screentime now and isn't that great?

I'm in complete agreement with this. You said it great. :)
I second that, completely think along the same lines:thumbsup:

I feel the opposite I think that LF's as Dr. Ray extrodinary acting has brought the show to a new fresher higher level. He kicks a.. on the delivery of his dialogue, his timing so precise. And his ability to bond and mesh with the whole team is beguiling. There's no innner turmoil nor feuding amonst the team as their was when Grissom was the lead. He had zero social skills. Ray has astonishing social skills. What's so remarkable is how his character has learned so fast and the chemistry with the team is intoxciating. There's so much more respect between the team now then prior~ my views!

You seem to forget that Ray is their peer, Grissom was their supervisor. Ray has none of the responsibilities and challenges that Grissom faced. Grissom had to balance his role as their boss with that of their friend which is a very, very difficult thing to do. One cannot compare their place in the team.

You like to point out how the team are ‘enarmoured’ etc. with Ray, at the same time ignoring their genuine affection, in some cases even love for Grissom. Just to name a few examples, Remember when Warrick said how if he could chose his father, he would chose Grissom? No greater love declaration than that! Remember the genuine admiration and affection Nick always had for Grissom and the extraordinarily strong friendship Catherine had with him? Remember Hodges love sick behaviour. No need to even mention Sara’s love for him. His friendship with Brass, with Doc, David crying when Grissom said his good byes?

As for Grissom having no social skills, that is completely untrue. Grissom was socially awkward which is not the same as having no social skills.

DW - There is a difference between 'angst' and 'conflict'- we don't tune in every week to see the Brady Bunch- conflict between characters is an excellent way of showing the difference in their personalities. It also makes the characters more relatable, since there's no such thing as the perfect workplace/school where everyone is merry and gets along happily. We get that the CSI's are like family, but when Grissom was around there was a whole host of different personalities so it was inevitable they were going to clash. It's one of the reasons CSI is classed as a drama.

Now everyone is happy with everyone- which is pretty OOC considering that includes Ecklie and Hodges- and frankly it's quite boring.

While it is good for their respective fans that Nick and Ray are getting more screentime, it's meant that some other characters have had to suffer. CSI used to have a fully fledged supporting cast which has all but disappeared, not to mention how frustrated Greg fans are getting.

I would also like to point out that there has indeed been conflict and/or bickering since Grissom's departure. Greg being the most prominent example. Recently we had the spat between Hodges and Henry as well. Also the season premier with Brass going against Catherine and Ray. You could even argue that there was some hesitation from Greg and Sara in the season 10 finale when it came to Ray being suspected in having involvement with Dr. Jekyll. Things are not as copasetic as some claim them to be. I'd say that the same type of social conflict that would occur between co-workers is happening now just as it did under Grissom.

These incidents did in fact occur, I meant through the whole 9 seasons, mostly dismay and disturbed team angst, But the whole team backed Ray in the "Meat Jekyll" with Nick going over to his house and saying "were a team" & the rest Greg and Sara even going so far as to go to his home with food. And by the locker Greg said "I like Ray", this was a awful ep. where no one knew what was happening , but they all supported him, well maybe except Ecklie. But Cath defended him. And when did the team ever take food over to Grissom's house when he was upset or disturbed.. to my recollection..never. And after all was said and done they all went for drinks.. and he got the dreaded phone call from Haskell:scream:

Last edited:
I agree with Desertgoblin.The team did support Ray, and I think Ray is defiantly becoming more open with them. He is a fast study. He still has a few things to work out, but TPTB did good by choosing LF for the job :)

I agree with Desertgoblin.The team did support Ray, and I think Ray is defiantly becoming more open with them. He is a fast study. He still has a few things to work out, but TPTB did good by choosing LF for the job :)

Thank's Grsiscool And I wasn't talking about Hodges or Henry the lab rats their alway bickering but it's a LOL quirky funny things. I meant the CSI's. In "Blood Moon" Sara and Nick looking for evidence while hiking and laughing and in "Long Ball" Sara and Greg also looking for evidence and laughing. That's refreshing and back when [older episodes] as these characters lots on arguing, went on. I don't see that anymore. As their character develoment evolves and they are getting older, they seem to be more relaxed and calm, then in the past. Maybe it's because Ray is a calm laid-back, low-key gentle person and their following suit;)

Uh, what turmoil may I ask? Nick and Ray were awesome in "Blood Moon" and so in tune where's the turmoil there? Nick 100% backed up Ray in the werewolve scene and told the guys to back off and stay cool. He could have told Ray to "knock it off, but he knew he was in control and had trust and faith in his decision. Since S/11 started the whole team is bonded and have great camraderie, and work so well and meshed together, on the cases. I see no one in turmoil, quite the opposite. The characters are more calm then they use to be that was the point of the last couple of posts. Fans perceive things differently on every show, what one sees as one thing, another see it totally different.:confused:

I would think if the team is getting along better (and I'm not necessarily saying they are) and working better as a team (again, YMMV) it would be attributed to Grissom's replacement and that is Catherine. Ray came in at an entry level position so I hardly think he would be responsible for creating harmony amongst team members like their supervisor would.

But Catherine has her own romance going on now, but she's also more calm and relaxed with his presence, they also work together great. Back when she was always mad at someone and seems to have lightned up and I think it's because he does bring tranquility and peace with his own persona, and it shrouds the whole team in a calmer atmosphere. And that's a beautiful thing. Hope it stays this way, it's really nice to see them all working so harmonious together:angel:

I would think if the team is getting along better (and I'm not necessarily saying they are) and working better as a team (again, YMMV) it would be attributed to Grissom's replacement and that is Catherine. Ray came in at an entry level position so I hardly think he would be responsible for creating harmony amongst team members like their supervisor would.

I agree. Bosses, supervisors, etc. do usually set the tenor of the work environment. This can be a good or a bad thing, depending upon the supervisor.

I second that. And in this case this is a good thing for our supervisor. Keep up the good work Cath!

Back