"Cello and Goodbye" discussion **Spoilers**

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by DJRideout, May 1, 2011.

1. PrincessJ88

PrincessJ88 Coroner

Overall, it wasn't unbearable to watch.

I already like Morgan, Ecklie's daughter. I really hope they bring her character to the show next year instead of introducing a new character we've never met before.

Loved Nick telling the officer that he wouldn't get on his knees...you tell him Nicky....although you kind of deserved that talking to by Catherine.

So, Nate is the son of the farmer from last week's episode? I was a little confused by that part.

2. sharp52092

sharp52092 Star Wars and CSI Fan Moderator

Wow!! I actually kinda liked this one :eek: *jaw drops* :eek:

And I won't lie my heart was racing a little at the end, I guess Haskell got a little scary tonight, though Super Ray, Haskell, and Raskell are annoying as EVER!!! But what's new this season?

I like Morgan, can't wait to see her in the future and her scenes with her dad :):lol: when Cath said "She reminds me of someone" I :guffaw:

Even though Greg didn't go to L.A. he still had good screentime, that was a pleasant surprise :):):) while I'm a little annoyed he didn't go, I know the whole team can't go

I kinda liked Sosa

Hodges and his foot in mouth syndrome :lol:

Nick had some good scenes with Ray, Catherine, and Hodges

Ray should at the very least be SUSPENDED, if not fired

^Yes the farmer was Haskell's dad

3. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

I agree about Ray. He needs punishment.

I loved the scenes already mentioned, plus that later one. "Or I'll go all dirty Harry on you" :lol:

I wonder if he could have said "I'll go all Morpheus on you" LOL

4. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Well, the episode wasn't that bad. I was shocked to see that Langston went back to Vegas. Of course, that is where Haskell ended up being.

I'll just refer you to GNRF's post about all the funny stuff. :lol:

The scene with Hodges and Greg was funny.

Ok, I know why Catherine was reprimanding Langston, but why Nick? They went to find Haskell, geesh she's so picky. :)

"Cowboy up!" That's our Nicky. :D What does Catherine expect? He is Texan! :lol:

As for Harnois, I did like the character. I was so glad to see she was a crime scene investigator and not a cop. So when she joins the show full time she'll be investigating scenes.

I thought the chemistry was good between her and the others. I think she'll make a good fit. (Hope I don't have to eat those words :lol:)

Nick looked good, as always. :drool:

So yeah, the episode was better than I thought. I still will be glad when this Haskell stuff is over, though.

5. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

You know, I wonder why they don't make a reference to The Matrix with Ray. On Numbers, they made a reference to Taxi with Don and Charlie's dad Alan who played on Taxi lol.

6. ragincajun

ragincajun Prime Suspect

From certain angles, she looked so much like Calleigh from CSI: Miami.

7. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I didn't think of Calleigh at all. I kept having to remind myself that it wasn't Emilie De Ravin (Roswell, Lost) lol.

8. kaylyne

kaylyne Coroner

That Raskell cat/mouse scene at the Pier with the carousel has to be the most hilarious, over-the-top dramedy that I've seen on this show in 11 seasons. Haskell screaming "You can't kill me Ray, she's alive." had me rolling in laughter. I'm sorry, but Nate Haskell hasn't been "creepy" since his second appearance. He's turned Raskell into an uninteresting comedy routine.

I swear that if you add up all of the Cath/Sara scenes from the past 2 seasons, it wouldn't add up to everything we got in this one. I loved it. And the Cath/Sara/Morgan scenes made me wonder if this really was the same CSI that I've watched for the past 6 years. Three ladies in multiple scenes? Almost unheard of for this show. Just think if they'd still have had Riley on the team. Where Riley was more "cop" oriented, Morgan seems more "scientific" oriented. Put the two together and you'd get a Sara clone.

On the flip side, I was miffed at the scene where Sosa, Nick, Cath & Sara went in search of Haskell in that building. Sosa & Nick had their guns, Cath & Sara had their... flashlights? Sexist much, writers? I'd at least expect Sara to have her gun out. The "MADE YOU LOOK" sign under the cover had me chuckling.

I'll admit that I was quite skeptical of the addition of Ecklie's daughter. But I really liked her. I'm so glad that they had Sosa as the annoying one from LA and not Brody. I think she'll fit in well. I'm also pleased that they had Cath recognize her from her younger years.

At first I was annoyed by them having Greg in the lab doing Archie's work, but it was a nice way to get him more screen time and actually doing something since he had to be the one to "hold down the fort at home".

The biggest thing that bugs me at the end of this season is that nobody is listening to the orders their supervisor is giving them. We all know that Ray seems to have no regard for authority - he's proven that time & again - but now Nick is following his lead, and getting himself into deep trouble, not to mention endangering his life. Then Cath locks Ray out of the computers at the lab and he uses Hodges naivete to weasel his way around that. I think I'd even be miffed at Doc for not keeping Ray under constant 24 hour supervision. The sad thing is that Ray won't be getting his comeuppance in the end. I wish we'd have seen more of Pissy Cath getting into their faces and unleashing more of the "Wrath of Cath".

At this point, even if Ray comes out unscathed in the end and just given a suspension for his insubordination, I don't think I'd be able to trust him ever again if I was on the CSI team with him. He's used everyone on his "team" so far and look where it's gotten him - and all of them as well. The best thing Cath could do to Ray is suspend him for a certain amount of time, then demote him to being just a lab rat so he can't be out in the field for a few years. That'd knock him off his mighty high horse for a bit. Then again, he'd just coerce Hodges, Henry or Mandy into doing something immoral at some point anyway.

9. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

I agree with so much of what you said here. I think this episode made me dislike Ray even more just because of his lack of respect for his supervisor's orders. I don't care if Haskell has his ex-wife. He put his self and others at risk and used them. And Nick covering for him shocked me and made me wonder about him too. The writer's have just gotten too carried away with this storyline and Ray going rouge.

Overall the episode was okay but so much of it infuriated me. I did like Brody a lot. Her character is not snotty or anything like that. She is very likeable. I can see her being a nice addition to the team.

It was nice seeing Cath and Sara working together.

Funniest part was Hodges nagging Greg about Ray when he was on the phone with Nick. :lol: Those two always crack me up when they fuss at each other. :lol: Nice to know Cath put her trust in Greg to run things while the other were away. :)

I just can't wait for this season to be over and hope next season they are finally rid of Haskell all together. Never want to hear his name again.

10. Raynn

Raynn Coroner

Sara at least looked like she had her hand on hers most of the time, with the flashlight in her off-hand. Cath wasn't even close though. I laughed at the "made you look" too - I like the little 'victories' Haskell gets sometimes, with how much fuss they make over him.

Ray was SO out of control! And dragging everyone else down with him. :( He doesn't need backup, he needs therapy (and an enforced suspension)! :rolleyes: I found myself cheering for Sosa most of the time, just because he seemed to be the only one who wasn't willing to just look the other way.

I liked the lighter moments, like the phone scene. Hodges and Greg were so cute. :lol: Nick refusing to get on his knees was a massive flashback to Warrick in the pilot too.

Overall, not a bad episode, but I am SO ready for the end of the Ray/Haskell show.

11. LionsHeart

LionsHeart Lab Technician

I thought it was because Nick didn't inform Catherine (or LAPD), when he found Ray, even though he should have.:) Personally, I think it was a little OOC for Nick to start helping Ray.

I think this was pretty decent episode. I had mentally prepared myself to be bored, but suprisingly, it actually kept me interested most of the time. Don't get me wrong, I still hate this whole storyline, but the actors did a really good job with the material they got.

I liked the Morgan character too, and I'm happy that TPTB decided to bring him back next season.
    Though I have a stupid question about her.:) Is she supposed to be a cop or a CSI? Because from what I'd read before episode, I though she was a cop, but in the episode, she was prosessing the crime scenes.

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  12. Ladybronco

Ladybronco Pathologist

As usual, getting on here late thanks to West Coast time :lol:

Loved all the same funny parts that everyone else mentioned!
    "Multi quote" and I don't get along, so suffice it to say that I basically agreed with all of the posts above mine.

I thought they played it pretty well for the scenario used to get all 4 of them out to L.A. Catherine/Ray first, and then for Sara to replace Ray upon his departure. Of course we knew THAT wasn't going to happen :p At first I thought Ray's phone call was to Nick, and that's how he'd go to L.A. but then I realized it was to Doc and Nick was only listening in. I was glad to see that it was Cath who told Nick to come out, and also laughed at Sosa asking if anyone was left in Vegas.

I was thrilled when Nick told Catherine "I'll find his ass" in that sort of tough voice, but at that time I thought Nick would play it straight and tell Catherine where Ray was. Then I got even more pissed at Ray for sucking Nick into his game plan. As soon as Nick and Ray were handcuffed, I knew Cath would be angry at having to go get them out of custody. The last thing I want is Nick endangering his career or relationship with Catherine because of Ray and his antics. :(

I wasn't expecting Nick to fire those first shots at Haskell on the carousel though :eek: That seemed a little reckless, but it kept me on the edge of my seat, figuratively anyway. Guess we knew Nick wasn't going to hit him though, since it has to be Ray to "vanquish" Haskell.

I liked Morgan too, looking forward to seeing how they get her to come to Vegas. I just hope they don't put her into a romance with anybody. I thought I had heard she was supposed to be a CSI, not a cop, and when I saw SID, I thought it stood for something like Special Investigations Division, until Vegaslights cleared it up earlier. Glad to see it's Scientific. I had to Google it to see if that was the real name, and it is.

Another funny point with the phone scene with Greg, Hodges and Nick was Nick thinking Greg was saying "Shut up" to him :lol: Great scene!

13. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

I had mixed feelings about this one. I thought it was pretty suspenseful, and all the actors were involved with good screen time, but I didn't like how it played out. I still don't know why it had to take place in LA. And, our CSI's go the extra mile (literally and figuratively) to defend and help Ray (like they didn't do with Warrick) and they all get sucker punched, by both Ray and Haskell. So, the moral of this story is...........

I also didn't like the overplaying of the Raskell stuff. I could have done without them taking a shower 'together' (I prefer Sara and Greg's shower scene. :)), and the 'chase' at the pier was pretty ridiculous. And, no FBI involved? or US Marshals? Notorious serial killer, escaped felon; seems like a big case to me.

All that said, I did like Morgan and Sosa. Can they BOTH move to LV? I thought the detective played his part perfectly, and I really enjoyed Morgan's interactions with Sara. She reminded me of younger Sara, the science geek, who would get excited about a case. Also, like kaylyne mentioned, it was awesome to have three female CSI's in the same scenes, and getting along professionally and personally. There is hope for CBS after all. :lol:

I thought LF did a good job. Ray's unspoken pain was evident in his face and I liked his tenderness with Gloria. But, of course he figured it out while everyone else (in LV and LA) was fooled by Haskell. :rolleyes: I just don't care for this whole storyline, and I'll be glad when it's finally over. Ray really needs serious professional repercussions from all this.

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  14. CazzBlade

CazzBlade Lab Technician

I liked this episode more than I thought I would, especially the progress of how most of them went to LA, it actually made sense! I was chuffed when Ray said he couldn't be on the case, really improved my opinion of him, so I was even more disappointed when I realised that was a play!

I did find myself on the edge of my seat at times, but that was more because I was shouting at the characters to get their act together! I was really disappointed in Nick for helping Ray, he fully deserved that dressing down from Catherine. And then Hodges and Greg helped *shakes head* isn't giving someone else your login a sackable offense? If Ray doesn't get some form of suspension (or the sack really) I'll be disappointed.

I liked Morgan, I hope she works well next season :)

15. byline

byline CSI Level One

Did anybody else besides me think that didn't look the least bit like Nate?

So I guess the whole plastic surgery thing was a ruse to make them think he'd changed his appearance? Not sure what purpose that would serve.

I have very mixed feelings about this episode. On the one hand, I don't like this "one personality vs. another" prolonged showdown they've set up between Langston and Haskell. It's just so . . . predictable. I found the first half hour especially tedious.

On the other hand, the second half hour offered a surprising amount of dramatic tension. As much as I knew about this episode beforehand, I still found myself trying to guess what Haskell was up to. Apparently he and Ray were classmates, or met/encountered one another on some school field trip? Not sure where they're going with this, or the "You never forget your first one" line. Does that mean Ray is somehow tied in with Haskell's first murder?

It seems a bit of a reach, considering how we first met Ray and Haskell. But then, I suppose that could be explained by the fact that the student (who also turned out to be a killer) who asked Ray to interview Langston for the class would've been asked to do so by Haskell, meaning that it was a set-up from the beginning. That part of it feels very soap opera-ish, to me, and is part of what I don't like about where this storyline is headed.

But, having said that, for a soapy plot, they did it very well. Fishburne, in particular, was quite good. I found his tension, grief over Gloria, then relief to find out she was still alive, and other emotions/reactions to be quite believable. I still find Haskell a bit too cartoon-ish now to be genuinely scary, which is too bad. That's the point of this whole story, right?