Careers...or what do you want to do with your working life?

T'Bonz

Administrator
Administrator
Another fun thing on which to speculate. What do you want to do when you go to work (real work, not the "gotta work at McDonald's to make car/clothes/cds money. :D)?

If you already have a career, is it what you thought you'd want in school? Or do you really want to do something else?

Careers I've wanted from my earliest memories:

Age 5-6 - I wanted to be a mail carrier! (I almost worked in the post office too.)

Childhood - I wanted to be an astronaut (in the 1960s, that was VERY common!)

Early teens - I wanted to be a doctor (then realized my memory sucks.)

College - I wanted to be a programmer (but only because I knew computers were the future, they were just coming in then, and I'd make good money. )

Later years - I wanted to be a librarian. Was heading in that direction, but health stepped in and stopped it. I should have been one all along.

What I've actually done during my whole checkered career life, from my earliest working days:

Babysat, cleaned houses, worked at snack bars, worked in the kitchen of a restaurant, switchboard operator (temporary or fill-in, and boy did THAT suck!), secretary (now called administrative assistant), library clerk (one of the best jobs ever!!), guardianship(for the elderly) caseworker, activities director for a nursing home (very depressing but very rewarding), Avon salesperson, church treasurer, editor (another of the best ones), writer (short articles), computer programmer (FORTRAN), researcher (genealogy, for pay).

What I should have done: Librarian, meteorologist or epidemiologist (I have a strong interest in the causes and courses of disease outbreaks. Creepy, eh?)

I didn't realize any of this til I was older. Of course, I could have used this in my 20s! :p I always loved working in the library, and did so at two separate times in my life.

Now I'm heading in the direction of writing. I've discovered to my surprise that I like it.

So what kind of job would you like to do?

And a word of advice from someone who wishes she had figured it out earlier, if there is something you love, odds are, you should be pursuing/thinking of it, careerwise.

It'll be fun to see what some of you are or want to be when you go out into the working world.

hmmm, what i want to be when i grow up? some many to think of... okay, here goes a few.

i wanted to be a paleantologist (i cant spell!) when i was in about grade 4 or 5

i wanted to be a doctor in grade 7 and grade 8 but realised that i was not smart enough

i want to be a nurse, phyciatrist, phycologist, criminologist, detective, forensic scientist, police officer, archaeologist, historian, history teacher, meteorologist, storm chaser, nature photographer and biology teacher... thats just to name a few...

Posted by TBonz:
What I should have done: Librarian, meteorologist or epidemiologist (I have a strong interest in the causes and courses of disease outbreaks. Creepy, eh?)

i dont think that its creepy! i love stuff to do with disease and how they infect people and the symptoms! its great stuff.. hehehe, i love the movie outbreak!

I've always wanted to do silly stuff... i can't remember most of it. But the thing i was most serious on was wanting to be a forensic scientist (hmmm, guess what brought that one on.) But then upon seeing my last school report, i figured that i wouldn't be ver good at it anyway. Then i though lawyer... but i don't really have a good speaking voice and i sometimes mix up words and stuff. So i dunno what i want to or i am gonna be.

when I was a kid I always wanted to be a cop, the biggest day of my life (when I was little, ofcourse) was when the cops came to my kindergarten (?) and I got to try on a police jacket and the hat, I have a pic of it. it's so big my head is gone :O and then I was the only kid who got to sit in the policecar and drive around with the sirens on. oh!
But when I was like 13.. I decided that I wanted to work with kids. but I still have that dream about beeing a cop :D

Uhm... I think I actually always wanted to draw... But what did I do? I went to Teacher Training College. >_< Definately a wrong choice. I finished it, teached for about 4 months and then quit.

Anyway, I'm now on persuit of my dreamjob: Illustrator.

I probably wanna be a Forensic Scientist, like most of the people here or maybe even a Plastic Surgeon lol (Lots of money)!! Or a Cop!! that would be AWSOME!!

I wish I had a better guidance counselor back in school to help me decide. Anyway, I worked as a desk clerk at local hotels for over 23 years, usually on the overnight shift. And I worked part-time at radio stations for 19 years, usually on the weekends. But I would like to have worked in the lab, doing ballistics tests or comparing fingerprints or whatever.

Hey, Silvia, Happy Birthday today!

When I was a kid...I wanted to be a policewoman. I don't remember did I have any other dreams. SInce I've lived in a farm whole my life, I probably thought I'll continue there, until in some age of 12 I became interested in politics. I know, it's nuts.

From 7th to 9th grade I wanted to be an English teacher, mostly to piss my English teacher off who had scary thoughts about poor kids who have me as a teacher.
I also did once one test... and highest points got... pastor. Would be ok, but I've lost my faith and I really can't sing. :p

I think what others have always thought, was me becoming History/Religion teacher (which is common combination here).
And I still thought that as one option when I was finishing my Upper Secondary School.

I've only worked in our farm. What I want to do when I grow up... I don't know, either politics in foreing country or then cowbreeding. DNA and stuff. Continue on our farm.
It's hard but I don't know yet. Well.

when i was in the 2nd-3rd grade, i wanted to be an Artist. LOL.

4-5th grade i wanted to be a marine biologist. then i was thinking, i can`t swim! lol

6th grade i wanted to be a pop singer, haha

7th and 8th..i never thought anything of it.

9th and now..i wanna be either a movie screenwriter or producer, publicist, or in an ad agency.

Between the ages of 4-6, I wanted to be Supergirl.

Then I wanted to be a superstar.

Then I wanted to be a comedienne...LOL

Up until I was 14, I wanted to be a cop

After that, I wanted to go into radio broadcasting and then I wanted to be a band manager..LOL

Now all I'm doing is working at a gas station.

Posted by keiko:
on a farm? :eek: that's pretty cool..
Yeah, cows. Moo moo here and moo moo there and...

Oh, an artist. yes. That I wanted to be. Almost went to artschool, too. Drawing was my therapy until in age of 17 I dedcided I can't draw and stopped.

Back