Basketball

I was shocked, but a guy on another postboard suggested that maybe Greece was suffering a post-USA game emotional lag, because so much had happened, the prime minister (president? I apologize for my lack of civics knowledge) of Greece called the team, etc. etc. and it was like such a HUGE deal...after that, maybe they just were a little wobbly? Spain, on the other hand, were without their main star and had a lot to get their backs up on.

Don't get me wrong, Spain has a killer team. I have their games vs Germany from this tournament and last year (Eurobasket) and they are one tough team all around. My congratulations to all the teams who medalled, and as for the USA, while I was surprised they medalled at all (I was definitely thinking Argentina for a medal) hopefully they'll grow enough humility to accept that the other teams really ARE that good, that coming in third to Greece and Spain is no disgrace, and that, to win, you need to play like a team. That's how Yugoslavia (Serbia & Montenegro) did it in 2002, how Argentina did it at the last Olympics, and how Spain did it this year.

BTW, does this mean that Europe gets three berths in addition to Spain for the next Olympics? Spain is in, and I think host country and World Champion are automatic ins. I think Europe gets three slots in addition...hoping Team Deutschland can pull it together at the Euros next year the way they did last year. They'll be losing a chunk of their core players (Nowitzki, Okulaja, probably Demirel, Femerling and possibly Roller and Garrett) after the 2008 cycle...I just want to see them get there!

Thanks DaWacko.

Pau Gasol was named Most Valuable Player of the tournament,I think it's the first time it happens to a player who wasn't in the final.

Yesterday night the big celebration in Madrid,they were supposed to arrive at 23:30 but it was 1:00 when they arrived to Plaza de Castilla and there were thousands of people.
The guys were very happy and they sang,they're awful singers,lucky us,they're the greatest basketball players. :lol:

Today more celebrations:they'll be with the president and the king.

Pics from yesterday night:

7208757c3923cg.jpg

7208757b514f3g.jpg

7208757bae0cag.jpg

Great pics, Hormiga, thanks for sharing. (I think Pau looks really nice with a beard, as long as he keeps it trimmed!)

I remember in 2002, the streets in Belgrade were jammed with people, it was absolutely insane! (I think Serbia & Montenegro still has the most players in the NBA of any non-US country) They took a poll shortly after the tournament and asked Yugoslavians if they would vote for Vlade Divac if he ran for president and most people said yes! :lol: Well...Vlade was on the Sacramento Kings for years, and he's still a hero in Sacramento too...

Well done Spain, Greece and USA, and again...Germany, kopf hoch, and let's just get it together next year...

korbjaeger said:
I think Pau looks really nice with a beard, as long as he keeps it trimmed!
IMO he looked much better with short hair and without the beard.
That reminds me that they were interviewing a group of young children and asked one of them if he wanted to be as the basketball players when he grew up and he said very seriously that he wanted to be as Pau Gasol but there was a big problem : he didn't want a beard when he grew up !!! :lol:

And no way we wanted Gasol as president lol in fact here people are crazy about football,the football match between Spain and Liechtenstein got more tv viewers than the basketball final !!! :rolleyes:

More pics:

Pau and Marc Gasol with the president.
The president and a muuuch taller Gasol.
Gasol with the king,queen and prince.
Royal family with everyone.

Eurobasket Spain 2007 (3-16 September).

Group A.

Greece,Russia,Serbia,team (A/1).

Group B.

Croatia,Latvia,Portugal,Spain.

Group C.

Czech Republic,Germany,Lithuania,Turkey.

Group D.

France,Italy,Poland,Slovenia.

ok, is this for college Basketball too?

last night WSU beat the Huskies in the Pac-10 tournament
WWWHHHOOO HHHOOO

Hormiga said:
Eurobasket Spain 2007 (3-16 September).

Group A.

Greece,Russia,Serbia,team (A/1).

Group B.

Croatia,Latvia,Portugal,Spain.

Group C.

Czech Republic,Germany,Lithuania,Turkey.

Group D.

France,Italy,Poland,Slovenia.

Ooh, Germany gets Lithuania first round? 'Course Lithuania can be streaky, good a team as they are. I'm hoping "Mannschaft Deutschland" goes on a tear like they did in '05...their ticket to Beijing depends on it!

Okay - who else watched that Instant Classic last night between Dallas and Phoenix? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Holy COW!!! I was praying Nowitzki would make that last shot so they'd go into a third overtime!! :lol: Talk about a thriller...and is Steve Nash THE MAN or what!!

we beat the mavericks we beat the mavericks! Finally!

Not only Steve Nash but that rebound and assist by The Matrix so that Steve could send it to the first OT.

Steve Nash is the MVP, there is no legitimate arguement against him.

Today begins the Eurobasket 2007 in Spain.

Eurobasket 2007.

Group A : Greece,Serbia,Russia and Israel.
Group B : Portugal,Spain,Croatia and Latvia.
Group C : Czech Republic,Germany,Turkey and Lithuania.
Group D : Poland,France,Slovenia and Italy.

Back