Basketball

glam_chic86

Head of the Graveyard Shift
This thread is dedicated to all the basketball league's & championships out there from the NBA & Euroleague & the Acropolis Tourney & FIBA Championship...

Greece has defeated France 70-56 to go on to participate in the 2006 Stankovic Cup I believe. Also, the 2006 FIBA championship will begin on August 19th and end on September 3rd with the championship game. Naturally my boys in blue, Hellas, will be there and I and others consider them to be one of the stronger teams in the tourney. They are the current Eurobasket champions as well.

Even if you don't follow European basketball feel free to talk about the NBA and youtr favourite teams. I support the Suns as local boy Steve Nash plays there.

I love Steve Nash! :cool: The Suns are a great team - BTW how's Amare coming along?

Greece is going to be one of THE teams to beat in Japan at the Worlds - Argentina will be tough too. My boys are Team Deutschland - we'll have to see how they do, they were incredible at the Euros last summer! (Second only to your guys! :))

As far as the NBA I love the Mavericks, Kings and Suns, and in the WNBA I'm a diehard Monarchs fan...I was so happy when they won the championship last year! Wished I could have been up in Sac for ther celebration! ::sigh::

Wow, just wow. It appears that without any mercy Greece beat beat Germany 84-47 to win the Stankovic Cup! If we can keep our current form up we can cruise through the upcoming FIBA world 2006 championship to win the world cup in basketball. C'mon Hellas!!!!

Am I the only basketball fan here :(.

Anyway, Greece defeated Qatar 84-64. All I gotta say is next please :lol:. Seriously though I have a reason now to be proud of my boys basketball team, unlike the Greek national football team :mad:. How did other teams do?

Team Deutschland beat Japan 81 - 70 today. :cool: Hey, after that whoopin' your boys laid on my boys in Nanking, I was laying low for a couple days... :lol:

Honest - I think the championship is going to be between Greece and Argentina. Italy's awfully strong too...but don't count Germany out yet, they're on a mission. :D

I know the US beat Puerto Rico 111 - 100 (I think)...I'll have to look on the FIBA web page to check the rest. Australia's doing well. What do you think about this to-do with the New Zealand player getting suspended for "smokables"? Germany plays them tomorrow.

I wish the preliminaries were on TV here. Germany - Spain will be on NBA-TV Monday though...between this tournament and the WNBA playoffs I'm getting my hoops fix! (Go Monarchs!!!)

Congrats to Germany :D. As for team USA I have no fear if and when we end up playing them. Through out the past tourney's we proved that we're a team who could beat anybody who tries to stop us winning. Not to be arrogant but I feel that Greece doesn't have any major threats this tourney, although Germany & Argentina & Italy have worried me at one point but that's before I saw the scores of their past few matches. At least they're not choking unlike a certain Greek team...

Good luck to your German boys korbjaeger. Hopefully we'll meet in the finals ;).

I hate to double post but...

Earlier today Greece finished off Lithuania by a score of 81-76. I've been noticing that Greece's final scores have been in the 80's which is impressive. The way USA finished off China was really impressive too. However, I've said it before & I'll say it again. If Greece was to ever face the USA in a game I would not be scared. The men of Greece have done nothing yet for me to doubt their skill & scoring ability and the way things have been going for them I don't think I need to :).

:lol: Somebody else besides me needs to start posting in this thread. Anyway, Greece defeated Australia by a tight score of 72-69. I guess we didn't reach the 80's this time...

The "Bauermänner" got their clocks cleaned by Spain yesterday... :( I gotta say, those guys are gooooooood. Pau Gasol spent most of the first half on the bench and they still tore it up. Garbajosa's D on Nowitzki was a large part of the reason. That and...sheesh, did Calderon ever miss a shot?!?! Ah well, Panama's next, they'll get back on track...One good thing was Demirel off the bench. That guy is a fiendish passer - the only NBA equivalent would be someone like Steve Nash, or maybe John Stockton in his prime. SCARY!

I hate to see China getting so manhandled - think Wang would have made a difference? I'm not seeing much out of France - is Parker their be-all and end-all? I seriously thought I'd see more out of Diaw, as good as he is...

IMO...still...it's gonna come down to Greece and Argentina. I don't blame you for not being nervous about Greece going against the USA, that should be an exciting game! Once it gets into the quarter finals you won't be able to tear me away from the TV since apparently ESPN will be showing all those games! :cool:

Greece won again, this time beating Brazil with a score of 91-80. The game that I'm most looking forward to is when they take on Turkey tomorrow. That game will most likely decide who finishes first in the group and I pray that Greece will be able to win. This will probably be the toughest game that Greece will play in the group stage but I have confidence we will come up on top & even if we lose we're still making it through to the next round :D. So, how did the other teams do?

Germany beat Angola 108 - 103 in triple overtime! Whoo...Nowitzki scored 47 points! So they and Spain will go to the next round...I was mainly paying attention to Group B though I think China won their game also...

Yes, Greece beat Turkey 76-69 to maintain their unbeaten streak. I believe we face China next & all I gotta say is....bring it on :D! Here are the final eight:

Saturday, August 26th, 2006:

Argentina (A1) vs. New Zealand (B4)
Turkey (C2) vs. Slovenia (D3)
Spain (B1) vs. Serbia & Montenegro (A4)
Italy (D2) vs. Lithuania (C3)

Sunday, August 27th, 2006:

Greece (C1) vs. China (D4)
France (A2) vs. Angola (B3)
USA (D1) vs. Australia (C4)
Germany (B2) vs. Nigeria (A3)

BTW congrats on Germany's win korbjaeger :).

Back