Artists/Bands you think no one's heard of

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by shazza_018, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Deirdre

Deirdre Coroner

These two bands I know. Madina Lake I even heard in Polish TV.

- Natalia Lesz (shame on me, it's very very pop thing but song "Power Of Attraction is so catchy!:lol: Same with song "Fall", but only English version, Polish sounds much worse)
    - Aphex Twin
    - Primal Scream

2. korbjaeger

korbjaeger Pathologist

Actually, I've heard of (and like) Dead Can Dance, Madina Lake and Lacuna Coil...

How about King's X? They seem to be superstars to other musicians, but to the general public...virtual unknowns. They just released their 15th album, BTW. :cool: GREAT musicians, super nice guys.

Crunchy. This is the latest project by Monty Colvin, who was the bassist for Galactic Cowboys - they had sort of a Beatles/Metallica/Nirvana amalgam sound going on. Crunchy is sort of that plus a dash of Green Day - and I always did think Monty was the best songwriter in GC's. :p

Molotov. This is a metal band out of Mexico I'd never heard of until I heard them mentioned by NBA player Eduardo Najera, who is also from Mexico. I did check out some of their stuff - they're great!

3. JorjaFoxFan

JorjaFoxFan CSI Level One

how about Jinx and Evren?
    ♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫
    Evren is mostly commercials..

4. fo_poozle

fo_poozle CSI Level Two

so many awesome bands already listed, is it weird that i know almost all that were listed ha?
    lets see what i can add....
    bayside-they are AMAZING seriously, you should listen to them i totally reccomend 'them.
    hit the lightd-also very good, they are more of a punk/poppy kinda band but still really great.
    brand new-they are one of my fave bands and jesse lacey is a musical genious(and not to bad on the eyes either)
    me first and the gimme gimmes- they do punk rock cover songs of like old r&b songs, can you ssay bad ass?
    goldfinger-also punk rockish so great, and if you liked anything by the used you should like them because jon feldman is the lead singer(hje produces for the used, and well a ton of others too)
    the living end-amazing band from the uk i believe, but totally worth a listen too. they alwasy seem to remind me of the clash, although i don't think they really sound like them, but they have the same pazazz.
    mest-they are one of my fave bands, ever, unfortunately they aren't together anymore but whatever they still rock. they are definitely a poppunk kind of band so if you like good charlotte or new found glory you's probably like them too.

5. Hollyyo

Hollyyo CSI Level Two

Wow I've got a whole blog on this topic lol. I think the link to it is in my profile.

Some examples:

Sufjan Stevens
    Mika
    Gomez

Several more are on the blog

6. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

^I don't think Mika is so "not heard of" - I mean last summer they played his song alllll the time.

I can give you a big list of bands that you haven't heard of :p

45 Degree Woman they are just wonderful. Them at MySpace http://www.myspace.com/45dw

To/Die/For - they've existed quite long and they still good

Then new one Shades of Nowhere - I linked to their MySpace since official webpage seems to be only in Finnish.

7. Smiliee

Smiliee Coroner

I was in Hollister a few months ago and I heard a song on their radio and fell in love with it. It was "Under Control" by Sparky's Flaw. I really love the guy's voice. They kind of remind me of The Fray, but a little more upbeat.

8. kaylyne

kaylyne Coroner

Love T&S. I 'discovered' them last year when "the con" came out. They have such a unique style.

Another one I love. "explode" is a great song.

Since Uh Huh Her involves Leisha Hailey, I'll also mention her previous collaboration with Heather Grody as The Murmurs as a band not many have heard of. I like their stuff a little better than UHH (a little less techno music).
    Others I'd list would be:
    Brandi Carlile (although people are FINALLY starting to know her name)
    Alison Pipitone (singer/songwriter)
    Bomshel (country/pop duo)
    Lori McKenna (country/pop)
    Kelly Willis - (country)
    Mary Gauthier (singer/songwriter)
    Lisa Brokop (country/pop)
    Katey Sagal (okay, most will know her as an actress, but how many have heard her music?)
    The Wrights (husband & wife - Adam & Shannon - playing good country music. He's Alan Jackson's nephew)
    Justin Townes Earle (Steve Earle's son. Great Roots country music)
    Eliza Gilkyson - (folk/rock)
    Ryan Bingham - (Americana)
    Iris Dement - (folk/Americana)

I'll stop there for now.

9. Callacrap

Callacrap Rookie

I've heard of all of them! But then again, I am in the UK too so maybe thats why!

I can't think of that many bands/artists that aren't that known apart from:

Jack McManus - I love him, he's so great but not that big in the UK

10. adorelo

adorelo CSI Level Two

They rock! The Curse of Curves and Crush especially. Such raving tunes.

I love them. Such emotive songs, but rather... eerie, like you said. It's a shame they're not more well known. I didn't know they were Icelandic though... that's cool.

I could kiss you right now. I was just about to post them on here as no one ever knows who they are. They are one of the best bands in my opinion. Bad habit, My Alcoholic friends....

I also love that Amanda didn't want to be known for 'Gothic music' so she created her own genre... 'Brechtian Punk Cabaret'.. haha, gotta love it.

I'm glad I found someone else who likes them :thumbsup:.

11. CSINYGal88

CSINYGal88 Hit and Run

The Runaways: Joan Jett and all them. Good stuff for the time.

Me First and the Gimmie Gimmes...classic.

How bout...

Fugazi
    Q and Not U
    The Evens
    The Minutemen

I know I've got more...

12. pretty_in_pink

pretty_in_pink Lab Technician

Don't they sing the Oxford Comma song? I love that song! I was just listening to it like five minutes ago. :D

Ah, I love Uh Huh Her. :) I didn't think very many people knew about them either.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  13. Billy

Billy Hit and Run

Anyone heard about The Medic Droid, Mozart Season or Breathe Caronlina?

14. sandersidle

sandersidle Captain

I've heard of The Medic Droid. Pretty good... I love Fer Sure. I was just listening to that today, actually.

15. Billy

Billy Hit and Run

Cool, that you already know them. Try Breathe Carolina, they are very similar.