Around the weird:news of the bizarre

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read this in our newspaper so I hunt down some English article from internet.

STOCKHOLM (Reuters)
- A drunken elk is terrorising children at a school in southern Sweden.

"That could be the problem. We could be dealing with a boozy elk," Jan Caiman, a police officer in Molndal, told the national news agency TT.

The elk was probably eating fermented apples in a garden and had become inebriated, Caiman said.

Elk can weigh as much as 500 kilos (1,100 lb) and personnel at the school described the erratic male as "completely mad".

"The children are really scared," the receptionist at the school near Molndal in southern Sweden told the Gothenburg Post.

Caiman said police had contacted hunters and that if the elk did not calm down, it could be shot.

- - -

Oh those Swedes! :lol:
Actually our newspaper had more detailled (I think it was taken from Göteborg Post) that the elk had actually been sleeping in front of the door so kids couldn't get in the school :lol:

They had dealed with similar situation a year ago when some young elk had been eating plums that had been in same condition :p

LOL :lol: :lol: fuuny on the drunken elk .. can you imagine :lol: :lol:

MAN JAILED FOR PUTTING PUPPY IN THE OVEN gross and disgusting :mad:

Sal Lake City..A man who pleaded guilty to putting his wife's puppy in a 200 degree oven, crippling it, was sentenced to six months in jail.. District Judge William Barrett ordered Marc Christopher Vincent 36, to serve 6 months in jail without the chance of early release. he must pay a $500 fine and $986 in veterinary bills for the dog..Vincent pleaded guilty Sept. 18 to one count of misdeamnor aggravated animal cruelty for putting the ddog in the oven for 5 minutes, during a fight with his wife, Rhonda who has since filed for divorce (ya think) :eek: The black Chihuahua mix named Henry suffered permanent damage to it's front paws and now limps :( As part of the plea agreement a second charge of animal cruelty was dropped.. a neighbor said he Vincent.. had turned the leaf blower on the same dog in a prior incident.. .....what an A..hole. creep. how could anyone ever do that.. so sad.. poor little doggie :(

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

On a lighter note, and silly, but still bizarre ;)

Musicians introduce N.Y. style of ukulele

The ukulele is associated with Hawaii but a group of musicians hopes to add a New York flair to the instrument!! The New YOrk Ukulele Ensemble is the brainchild of Uke Jackson, who says the New York style of ukulele is "more driving and edgier" than the old Hawaiian technique. So the band's set list..Instead of tunes like "My Litle Grass Shack" [my favorite}:lol: the ensemble jams on "Don't Fear The Reaper" and "Gangsta's Paradise" Jackson says the band has two major goals..inspiring others to pick up the instrument..and getting through a whole concert without ever playing "Tiny Bubbles" :confused: gosh, makes me want to go buy a ukulele :D

The Buzz..Ken White..LVRJ

Just trying to imagine Frank Sinatra accompanied by a ukelele on "New York, New York."

Start spreading the news
I'm leaving today
I want to be a part of it, New York, New York.

Dynamo1 said:
Just trying to imagine Frank Sinatra accompanied by a ukelele on "New York, New York."

Start spreading the news

I'm leaving today
I want to be a part of it, New York, New York.

:lol: :lol: :lol: No. I can't imagine that..actually funny.. they just pleayed this on my radio station.. big band all the way ;)

DEER FREES HEAD FROM PLASTIC JACK-O'-LATERN

A deer whose head was stuck in a plastic Halloween jack-o'-lantern for nearly a week has freed itself ad will be fine, animal rescueres said on Saturday..Children found a dented plastic pumpkin in their yard Friday night, and other neighbors saw a very thin deer running free!! Rescurers feared they would have to use a dart gun to tranquilize the yearling, then remove the plastic apparatus.. but he got free by pounding his head on the ground, and it cracked and set him free..

Source- The Buzz. Ken White.LVRJ

N.C. Police Find Gator, Caiman at Hotel
Nov 16, 5:15 PM (ET)

GREENSBORO, N.C. (AP) - Authorities trying to serve an arrest warrant at a motel instead found some sharp-toothed guests. U.S. marshals and High Point police found a 3-foot alligator and a 3-foot caiman - similar to an alligator - in a fish tank at a Red Roof Inn in Greensboro. They didn't, however, find the suspect they had sought.

The man who had the animals in his room was arrested on charges unrelated to the animals, U.S. Marshals Service officials said.

The alligator and caiman were taken to the Guilford County Animal Shelter.

"We've had exotic animals before, but nothing like this," shelter director Marsha Williams said, adding that the reptiles were in good condition.

It's illegal to possess alligators in North Carolina, but caimans can be found in pet stores, said Sandy Ellington of the Guilford County Public Health Department.

Ellington said the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission will take both reptiles and decide whether to pursue charges against the man who had them in his room.

-=-=-=-=-

Clever Bonobo Again Triggers Fire Alarm
Nov 16, 5:03 PM (ET)

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - Panbanisha the bonobo is up to her tricks again. For the second time in two months, the 20-year-old animal triggered a fire alarm at the Great Ape Trust of Iowa research center.

The trouble started at about 8:15 a.m. Wednesday, when Panbanisha wanted to go outside but the staff was too busy to let her out, trust officials said. Panbanisha then apparently lost her temper and pulled the alarm, officials said.

It's a trick Panbanisha initially learned in October when she saw a welder start the alarm. It took her less than a day to learn how to duplicate the excitement.

When the alarm sounded again the next morning, "I went to check on Pan, and she was sitting there next to it with a smile on her face," said lead scientist Sue Savage-Rumbaugh last month.

Savage-Rumbaugh said she explained the danger of such mischief and Panbanisha promised not to do it again.

Panbanisha is one of seven bonobos at the Great Ape Trust and was among the first group to arrive in April 2005. Bonobos are one of the most human-like of the great apes and have sophisticated language skills.

Trust spokesman Al Setka said there are fire alarms throughout the center. The one Panbanisha triggered was about the level of a light switch and had a pull handle, he said.

Trust officials said they will cover the alarms to prevent a third prank from Panbanisha.

-=-=-=-=-

Deer Killed After Plowing Through Store
Nov 16, 5:13 PM (ET)

HOPKINSVILLE, Ky. (AP) - An unwelcome visitor to a western Kentucky furniture store got a full-barreled reception from the store's owner. Furniture Savings owner Dallas Brawner found himself in a strange predicament Tuesday afternoon when a four-point buck leapt through the front window of his store in downtown Hopkinsville and into his showroom.

"It was totally confused," Brawner told the Kentucky New Era of Hopkinsville.

Brawner got his first look at the beast after hearing the glass shatter. He rushed out of his office and watched while the buck crashed into queen-sized beds, marble top end tables and rocking chairs.

After regaining his wits, Brawner hurried to the gun safe and pulled out his .38-caliber pistol.

"I got off a couple shots, but it didn't kill him," Brawner said.

A deep bullet mark was visible in a safety deposit box that was behind the deer when Brawner fired. The buck made its way through a 50-yard aisle of Brawner's inventory and disappeared in the rear of the store. Brawner then called Hopkinsville police.

Officers eventually shot and killed the deer in the rear of the store.

None of the bystanders around the baffling scene knew where the disoriented deer came from or what prompted it to dive into the store antlers first.

-=-=-=-=-

Rogue Sea Lion Bites at Least 14 in S.F.
Nov 16, 5:06 PM (ET)

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - A California sea lion has bitten at least 14 people and chased 10 others out of the water this week at a public park's lagoon, prompting the city to temporarily close the area to swimmers.

No serious injuries have been reported, but officials decided to ban swimming at the Aquatic Park Lagoon on Wednesday until the testy marine mammal has moved on.

Experts say the rogue sea lion could be protecting his harem of mates or might have brain damage from toxic algae.

Celeste McMullin, who was bitten Monday, said she saw the animal lurking nearby but didn't think much of it.

"I was swimming along, and I felt a brush under my feet. And I thought, 'These feel like whiskers.' So I stopped, and the animal popped up. He/she looked at me."

McMullin then tried to swim away, but the sea lion followed, biting and bumping her continuously until she made it back to shore. She ended up with six bites: two puncture wounds and four cuts.

Marine Mammal Center veterinarian Frances Gulland said the animal may soon leave the area and advised swimmers to avoid the lagoon in the meantime.

"The migration has started, and the animals are moving north to Washington state and Oregon," she said.

City health officials aren't recommending rabies shots, but victims were advised by the Marine Mammal Center to take antibiotics to ward off infection.

Aquatic Park Lagoon is part of the San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park and not far from Fisherman's Wharf, where dozens of sea lions bask year-round on rocks below the pier and are a major tourist attraction.

-=-=-=-=-

'Grape Guy' Catches 116 Grapes in Mouth
Nov 16, 5:07 PM (ET)

SYDNEY, Australia (AP) - An American man caught 116 tossed grapes in his mouth in three minutes in what he hopes will become a new Guinness World Record, his publicity team said Thursday.

Steve "the Grape Guy" Spalding, 44, of Dallas, Texas also set a personal record for endurance grape catching, using his mouth to catch 1,203 grapes thrown from a distance of 15 feet over half an hour, according to publicist Deanna Brown.

No Guinness World Records officials were present at Spalding's grape-gobbling attempt, carried out Thursday in Australia overlooking Sydney's iconic Opera House.

But Brown said observers had filmed Spalding's attempt and would be submitting forms to Guinness officials in the hopes of creating a new record for speed grape-catching - the most grapes caught in the mouth over three minutes.

No current speed grape catching record exists, she said.

Guinness World Records has no offices in Australia, and the organization could not immediately be reached for comment.

-=-=-=-=-

Kansas Man Shoot Himself in Groin
Nov 16, 4:22 PM (ET)

WICHITA, Kan. (AP) - A botched kidnapping ended with one of the assailants shooting himself in the groin, police said.

The man had just stuck the gun in his waistband when it fired, shooting him in the left testicle, authorities said. He cringed, causing the gun to fire again and strike him in the left calf, they said.

The 23-year-old man managed to walk into a hospital for treatment. He and his two alleged accomplices, ages 18 and 20, were arrested on attempted kidnapping charges. They were accused of trying to kidnap a teenager in a dispute over stereo speakers.

Bonobo.. never heard of that in my life :eek: and animals sure do get in some strange predicaments :lol:

SNOOP DOGG LAUNCHES COOL CANINE STUFF

Rapper Snoop Dogg, is in the house the doghouse that is!!That's because the "Doggfather" himself is launching a new line of clothing and toys specifically for dogs..debuting next Tues. The line is designed to feature doggy clothes that resemble clothes that Snoop Dogg wears..Company spokesman Genna Rosenberg says the dog-loving rapper had an "integral part" in creating the new stylish doggy apparel. Says Rosenberg, "Snoop chose the fabrics and styles for the dogs and the pieces resemble the type of clothing he himself wear, like faux fur jackets and basketball team hoodies. Besides giving hip-hop hounds a chance to put on the dog, there are also doggy toys..and a boom box. :eek:..P-L-E-A-S-E.. no ones dog wants to wear clothes :(

The Buzz..Ken White..LVRJ

WOMEN ADMIT TO SPYING ON THEIR MEN.....pathetic :(

When it comes to snooping most American women have James Bond beat!! According to a survey by Lifetime, 67 % of women admit they've spied on their lover and 58 % have snooped on their kids :eek: In addition, 15 % have even spied on their boss..Maybe they shouldn't have snooped, because 43 % admit they learned something they regretted knowing about. A far as top snooping areas 54 % love spying around the medicine cabinet...42 % check out their partners wallet and 32 % comb through their lover's e-mail!!! However, only 10 % bother going through credit card bills for evidence!! :mad:

The Buzz..Ken White
kwhite@reviewjournal.com

since when cant turkeys fly??

for a thanksgiving day stunt, people at cincinnati radio station wkrp decided to drop 20 live turkeys from a helicopter assuming they would fly to safety. all 20 plummitted to their deaths and one even went through the windshield of a car. the station manager takes full responsibility for the incident, claiming 'as god as my witness, i thought turkeys could fly'

^^^ I can't believe that they would do that, it's a horrible and cruel experiment just to prove a point.

Tinkerbell said:
^^^ I can't believe that they would do that, it's a horrible and cruel experiment just to prove a point.
It did not really happen. That was the plot of an episode of "WKRP in Cincinnati" from October 1978. The series starred Howard Hesseman, Tim Reid, Gary Sandy, Loni Anderson, Jan Smithers, Frank Bonner, Richard Sanders, and Gordon Jump. We did not actually see the turkeys falling from the sky. Newsman Les Nesman was describing it from the side of the shopping plaza.

ive never heard of that show. i was fooled! :( oh well, glad to know the poor turkeys are ok. unless of course they were baked for dinner....

GAWD.. that's so cruel about the turkeys .. and I couldn't believe this one either.. has the world gone completely crazy :eek:

Charred cat on bed of rice and onions and peppers left at a Utah car dealership

Ogden, Utah...A car dealer found a chared cat in a pan of rice and vegetables outside his business , authorities said. The cat was found Wednesday outisde Roy's Cars and RV's in Ogden, UT. about 30 miles north of Salt Lake City. "There were greeen bell peppers and sliced onions all laying on a bed of rice with the cat on top!!! Ogden police Lr. David Tarran said "it looked just like the cat had been cooked" :mad: Police did not know wheter it was a prank or directed at someone at the car dealership!!! They are trying to determine wheter the cat was alive or dead before this happened, or whether to determine if charges can be pursued. "I can't even begin to understand who would do such a thing, and why" Terran said .. catch this freak and cook them!!!!!!so gross and sickening :(

The Associated Press

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back