Any Cheerleaders?

Cordelia_GRS_Fan

CSI Level Two
Hey guys, this is a bit of a random thread but thought I'd make it anyways.

Are any of y'all cheerleaders? If so, chat about it here. It's my favorite sport and I cheer for Pink Poison Allstars. We've got alot of stuff coming up at the moment - a show in Middleton, three cabaret nights, a competition in Wembley and one in Blackpool...all before November!!
My speciality stunts are Scorpion, heelstretch, toetouch and arrowsprings/round-offs.

What about y'all? What teams are you in? Got any speciality stunts...and of course - PICTURES!

I'll have some pictures up soon when we get our new outfits and I'll post em. I've got a couple but my outfit's old and horrible lol. I only started cheerleading about...7 or 8 months ago but I love it.

Me with my certificate when I did my exam and got Highly Commended Woo!
^I'd been doing cheerleading about 3 or 4 months when I took that exam so I was real happy that I got the high grade :D I also got a lil trophy so that was even better.

This is me in my OLD outfit doing my scorpion
I do one and two handed scorpions - they're my favorite stunt :D As well as heelstretches, toetouches and arrowsprings/round-offs.

Xx..::Mia-Sara::..xX

:lol:

When I was younger, I was a cheerleader. :D After that I gave it up.

But sometimes I do enjoy watching them performing. My school had a cheerleading team a few years ago and we got first place in a national competition.

Wow, first place in Nationals! That's great!!
We've got nationals in October and I can't wait! Our team is a member of the BCA and UKCA so we get to go to loadsa comps but the two coming up are my first.

My school has a cheerleading team, and I was a gymnast for years, so everyone wanted me to try out, but frankly the girls at my school who do it are the typical "movie cheerleaders", the ones who only care about how their hair looks and whose legs are the thinnest. And I don't want to be associated with that.

Not saying that all cheerleaders are like that, because I know girl who do it at other school who are intelligent and who are legitimate athletes. I think cheerleading is a great sport, it is just as athletic as anything else, and in some cases more so. If our school's team was serious, I'd have done it. They just aren't.

Yeah I totally get what you mean. I think in alot of cases, when school do it - and I'm saying this as in occasionally - people do join just because of how the stereotype is portrayed. However, I'm a straight-A student at school and I do cheerleading out-of-school and all the girls are really nice and down-to-earth where I go.

Cheerleading definitely is a sport - you have to really work hard at every practice and also at home too. I do around 7-10 hours a week practice, and not all of that is with my team and coach.

Because it is more thought of as an "American sport" (*roll eyes*) and I live in England, people seem fascinated by the fact that I do it. It's mainly like the 6th graders/year sevens and everytime I walk past they yell "there's the cheerleader" as if I'm the only one in our school who is a cheerleader! :lol: I'm not. About five or six of the girls in the team that I'm moving to (advanced) are from my school but because I get on these kids' bus they think it's a big deal. Ugh, kids. lol! One of them even has a song he sings anytime he sees me!!....Weird child. :lol:

well that's not what 99% of us are like :lol:
Movies have a really big impact on people's impression of who and what cheerleaders are. I have basically given up trying to fight the stereotype, and I just ignore the "comments" I sometimes get. I do cheerleading because it's a challenging and brilliant sport that combines both dance and gymnastics, as well as the factor of trust - the saying "there's no I in team" definitely applies. I mean, you really have to trust someone if they're gonna throw you into the air!

And I think there's definitely a line between what you see as cheerleading and what it actually is. We're allstars so we don't cheer for a certain football team or whatever - we go to competitions. And they're exactly what their name states - competitive. If you think cheerleading is just for dumb blonde chicks with no brains, check this out:

Example of talent at a cheerleading competition

I was a cheerleader in jr high and high school. It was a small school and I was the only one who did any tumbling. I liked doing flysprings and rolls to show off. :D I actually learned how to do them from my brothers who were daredevils. I got in to cheerleading because I always had to go to the football games and figured I might as well do something while I was there.

And I have to admit, most of the other girls were so into the cheerleading it was their life! For most of them, it was probably the high point of their lives and they still talk about it. I know most cheerleaders aren't like that, but this was a small town and if you didn't get to college, you probably got married and live on a farm now or are working at a fast food restaurant out on the highway.

I have nothing against living on a farm. I grew up on a farm. I love the farm. But it's rough work.

haha that vid is so like bring it on its hillarious.

why do u do it, like for fun or what... :S

im more of a sport person myself haha. i'd rather be playing on the field with the guys then cheering lol

lol. I do it for two reason: a) To keep fit and b) Because it's fun and I love to cheer!

It's pretty risky (aren't most sports?) and requires enormous trust and balance as well as, duh, flexibility. I've never done gymnastics and everything I've learned has taken alot of hard-work and dedication from me and my coaches.
So in answer to your question, yeah I pretty much do it for fun. My pattern is: Eat. Sleep. Cheer. Reapeat :lol: :D

Let's face it - any guy can hold a gal's hand - onlt the elite can hold her feet :D lol. Yes, I do no about a million and one cheer quotes lol

a thread were i belong, i am a cheerleader for britannia jr high in edmonton and well go bears, i made the team for grade 9 already!!!

For our new outfits, the colours are pink and black and our poms are black and sparkly silver. It says "Poison" on the shell in SPARKLY pink which I was awed by lol. I'm such a girl lol.

Blue and gold sounds nice and yeah it is hard but then again:
If you're not in pain after the game, you've not cheered hard enough!! :D

I have a show this Saturday and that kicks off a series of them with a couple shows each months til December. We've got Wembley and Blackpool comps in October and November respectively.

Back