ANNOUNCEMENT: Regarding Videos (Everyone Read)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by midnight_tiptoes, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Oouga

Oouga Dead on Arrival

A question came up and I just need clarification, please. I mentioned, in a different forum on this board that I was making a fan video. I was told that the discussion of fan videos was banned at this site.

Is it banned? If so, is it banned everywhere but this forum? Or is it not banned as long as you don't post links or videos?

I just need to know. I will NOT make a big stink on the other forum, that's not my style. But for personal reference, please?

Sam

2. butterflylove206

butterflylove206 Prime Suspect

what interview? can somebody tell me where to see it?

3. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

I'm sure someone will come to you with an official answer. But to me it appears, from the first posts on this thread, that the thread was started to inform people of a change of policy regarding videos on this site, rather than as a means of discussing of the videos themselves.

My understanding is that you can't post them here or link to them here, due to copyright infringements, as clearly you can't currently legally produce and post the videos (because you aren't paying CBS for the rights). As it states earlier in this thread, there are other websites and forums where you can post them if you wish, so there isn't a need or purpose to discussing them here. Best to err on the side of caution in my opinion :)

Sorry if that wasn't much help, but as this issue seems to be frustrating to you I thought I should at least attempt a reply, I think the other poster was trying to help you rather than hinder you, as it can be difficult to know all the rules straight away. :)

4. cinegirl

cinegirl Coroner

Oouga, that's a very prickly topic.

This thread has been opened one year ago, meanwhile the Board Rules were updated. Here's the part regarding

"Intellectual Property"

In the strictest sense this means to not post videos and to avoid discussions about fan videos, especially those implying CBS copyrighted material, namely on the whole board.
    But as long as you don't link to (your) fan videos (Exceptions: videos released by CBS Network ) and only mention that you made one but won't start a discussion about it, it's OK.

Despite all of this we have a thread in the Miscellaneous Thread where you can post 'Home Videos' - videos which don't contain any CSI clips or other copyrighted material.
    If you are not sure whether you are allowed to post a video, contact an admin or mod, or just stay on the safe side and: don't post it ;)

Hope this answer helped you in some ways, if there are still further questions you can pm either me or Wyoming :)

5. Oouga

Oouga Dead on Arrival

Thank you both for your help. I knew the other poster was trying to protect the board, and I wasn't offended at the post she/he made. I get anal retentive about things and like answers that explain, and sometimes it comes off wrong. However, by putting both answers together, and hers/his in the other forum, I've figured out it's safer not to try to talk videos that aren't from an official source. :) I appreciate all the help and attention, because I know having to repeat can be a big drag... and I wasn't sure if others may have asked before. (I did read this particular forum straight through before asking, though, so I wouldn't deliberately repeat.)

The attention and friendly helpfulness I've found so far in the less-than-week I've been a member pleases me, and I look forward to a happy, long run with all of you. And I again, though not everyone would see this, encourage people to let me know if I've overstepped bounds or something, as I want to be a good poster. I like it here.

Sam

6. cinegirl

cinegirl Coroner

Glad we could help you a bit Oouga! And also glad to hear that you are enjoying the board - 99% of spending the time here is really fun and filled with friendly, helpful and CSI-crazy people! :D
    Oh, and it's very appreciated how you manages your posting - first reading and asking instead of opening new threads etc. - yay! :D

Elsie, I didn't realize your answer yesterday, thanks for your help! :)

butterflylove206, I don't know if that's exactly the interview midnight_tiptoes talked about, but take a look at the CSI Files - View Archieves - enjoy! It's pretty funny :D