American Idol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone else think that Randy always has the comment of the contestant being "too pitchy"? I swear the guy should just have a sign saying "Too Pitchy". And really Paula get an opinion. And Simon seams to be really in a mood this season, maybe its time to hang up the sarcasim suit.

Right now I am interested in seeing how far Jason and Brooke go because they seem to be the most different in my opinion. I like Amanda, David and Michael right now.

I've just managed to see the eliminator episode and a couple of them I'm gob-smacked at. Luke really should have gone. I think Freddie Mercury would be turning in his grave at such an awful awful rendition of Killer Queen. Sorry but I thought Robbie Carrico should have stayed. For me he was at least top two on the boys night, if not the best that night.

And Jason Yeager gone... He should still be there, in my opinion. he might not be the greatest dancer but, for me, he has a really interesting vocal. Sad at his leaving.

...And I really think Kady should have gone... I know that "Hopelessly Devoted to You" isn't the best song choice to have been made by Alena, but it was a really good rendition of it and Alena can sing, so when it came to Alena and Kady being up against each other, I really thought it was the end of the line for Kady. I was gob-smacked at the decision.

Still, has anyone else noticed that there's an awful lot of "The wrong song choice" noises now being made? Seems like their trying so hard to make a point. I'm hoping someone turns round and says something like "Well with the list we're given it's hardly surprising" - chuckle.

:)

I know it's wrong that the producers are doing this, but let's think about it for a second. Chris Daughtry came in, what? Seventh on AI? And look at him, he's more successful than some of the winners of the show. So maybe it doesn't matter what the producers think. Yes, at this stage in the competition no one will be walking off it and getting a record contract, but if they continue to do this, later in the game we may have another Chris Daughtry emerge. You never know. The producers may have their hands all over the voting and song choices, but they don't control what other record companies think and what happens after they competitors leave the show.

Words cannot describe how excited I am that it's 80s week coming up. Somebody on the girl's side has to do Pat Benatar. And do it well. Of course that's the thing, isn't it? There are so many good songs from that decade that have the potential to be butchered. Fingers crossed then for good performances.

I'm also really liking Michael. I think he's my favourite on the guys' side (although I like David A. too). When he's up on that stage he looks like a seasoned performer, and that's important. A lot of the people on the show over the years just stand there looking so uncomfortable, focusing solely on the singing, when performing is not just about that. So it's nice to see a guy like Michael.

Well I saw Simon on Jay Leno, and he asked him "can they pick any song they want" and Simon replied "YES" any song they want

typically when the idol people, simon or nigel talk to the media about the show, its for damage control. Happens a lot, especially this season due to suspicious fans.

Hmmm.... I still think there's something dodgy going on there because I've yet to think that just one song has fully complimented any one of the participants this year.

typically during these rounds they have free pick (limited to what they can clear). It is not unusual for tptb to inform the contestants that their songs haven't been cleared a day before the performance. Several contestants have been forced to change their songs before, this has happened.

Sorry but I thought Robbie Carrico should have stayed. For me he was at least top two on the boys night, if not the best that night.

his wig or weave was driving me crazy. I guess he took advice from Britney (he used to date her). He just isn't rock, he used to be in a boy band, simon is right, he was trying to hard.

...And I really think Kady should have gone... I know that "Hopelessly Devoted to You" isn't the best song choice to have been made by Alena, but it was a really good rendition of it and Alena can sing, so when it came to Alena and Kady being up against each other, I really thought it was the end of the line for Kady. I was gob-smacked at the decision.

I wasn't. Kady has a much larger fan base, not many people were talking about Alaina before she got eliminated. Honestly, i can't even tell those two apart, they are pretty much the same person. This is why, the blondes have a lot of vote splitting going on.

Still, has anyone else noticed that there's an awful lot of "The wrong song choice" noises now being made? Seems like their trying so hard to make a point. I'm hoping someone turns round and says something like "Well with the list we're given it's hardly surprising" - chuckle.

Just like its the BEST 24 eva!!! LOL, how many times is ryan going to mention how great these contestants are? Its like he is trying to convince us.

Chris Daughtry came in, what? Seventh on AI? And look at him, he's more successful than some of the winners of the show.

He came 4th. The producers did want him to win, or at least he was the chosen one of the season. tptb promoted him so much, it would have been impossible for him not to sell well.

I'm also really liking Michael. I think he's my favourite on the guys' side (although I like David A. too). When he's up on that stage he looks like a seasoned performer, and that's important.

:lol: He is a profession performer. He has been in several bands, with major record labels. I don't like his voice though, i don't think its very good.

Also, and although I am a fan of David Archuleta, his renditon of "Imagine" was just... just seriously wrong. He styalised the song. He gave it soft, fluffy edges and yet "Imagine" needs, practically demands for it to be sung straight.

I agree with this. Ulg, that song is not a power song. Not to mention it wasn't his version. He copied Eva Cassidy's version. Same arrangement, ending and even all the extra vocal runs are identical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVYpTFgeWwc

Well, who do you all think was the best out of the guys? I swear Paula loves everyone, and Simon loved the guy, who to me had a dour personailty, they were all good, but the black soul singer guy, all his songs sound the same :confused: this is a tough call, cause' their all good!

I thought the one that sang Celion Dion song was pretty good. In general I thought everyone was pretty good. I still like Michael though.

Eeep! Luke’s was really really bad……… again.

David Archuleta can really sing but he is beginning to bore me now I’m afraid, and his reason for singing “Another Day in Paradise”, for bringing the world homeless to people’s awareness, was naïve and really cringe-worthy.

Sometimes I really don’t know what Simon goes on about. Does he fancy Danny and thought his remarks would show the opposite, because I thought his criticisms of Danny was waaaaay off the mark and a bit uncalled for. It was far from useless, in my opinion. I thought Danny’s rendition of “Tainted Love” was really well performed and the best song choice all evening.

David Hernandez sang through his nose and I’m pretty much convinced now that he wouldn’t know ‘feeling’ (when it comes to singing) if it came and bit him on the arse. He’s got a good voice, there’s no denying that, but there’s just nothing there for me. I think someone should just tell him that he’s not half as good as he thinks he is and I think that it’s that kind of arrogance is why I just don’t get any depth from his singing.

Michael Johns sounded a bit lonely out there singing “Don’t Forget About Me” and probably because it was a song for a group (Simple Minds) – One of the best British Groups of the 80’s in my opinion. Shame really.

I honestly think that at times the judges are completely and utterly deaf because David Cook’s guitar was out of tune and, at times, even the band sounded out of tune. I thought it was a surreal version of “Hello” and a song he really should have left others to do.

There’s something about Jason Castro that seriously reminds me of John Travolta. I dunno if it’s the eyes or the grin, maybe both, but take away the dreadlocks and I think he’s almost a dead ringer for Travolta. *shrug* Aaaanyway, I quite liked the ‘Hallelujah’ rendition so it was a real shame when he messed up the end. *hug* Still, David Archuleta would do well to take note that that’s how you sing a song which has something meaningful to say :D

Chikezie. Yeah I thought he did good with the song, but he doesn’t do anything for me whatsoever I’m afraid so I don’t think I’d ever be going out to buy a record of his if he were to win. Sorry... He also has a tendency to slide his notes and I only noticed that because a friend of mine once commented on my singing voice, “That’s the best imitation of a plane taking off I’ve heard in quite a while now” – chuckle.

All in all, Luke has to go now, and I’m afraid Chikezie too, though I wouldn’t be that upset if David Cook went instead.

*sigh* I want to be blazed away by the performers but at the moment that feeling of being ‘blazed away’ by a performance lasted about five minutes with David Archuleta and that’s about it :(

On last nights the 'girls, I thought Amamda kicked butt, her performance to me was the best.she really rocked out and did a outstanding job! then these were the other ones I liked~

Kady..good voice!
Carly good voice!
Kristy sings and actually look's a bit like Lee Ann Rimes!
Syesha good voice1

the rest blah!

I thought the girls blew the fellas out of the water and for once I wasn't sure who would go from the girls... I'm not that unhappy that Kady went, but, as said, she and all the others gave a really good showing this week...

...As for the boys...

I... am... shocked... completely shocked about Danny going and since there's controversy about the voting and all that crap, when I consider the views Simon made about Danny at the end of his song, it would not surprise me one iota if Simon actually used his power of booting someone out with Danny. In my opinion, there's no way Danny should have gone!

...I now have a very bad feeling about American Idol this year...

I'm also really liking Michael. I think he's my favourite on the guys' side (although I like David A. too). When he's up on that stage he looks like a seasoned performer, and that's important.

:lol: He is a profession performer. He has been in several bands, with major record labels. I don't like his voice though, i don't think its very good.

Yes, I knew he was in a band. What I was trying to get at there is he's comfortable on stage, unlike many of his competitors.

My favourite performance of the entire group would have to be Brooke White's rendition of Love is a Battlefield. It was interesting to see it done so differently than it was originally recorded, but I thought it worked really well. And I disagree with Paula, the lack of the band was fine the way it was. I don't think it would have worked otherwise. I think after that beautiful performance Brooke is now one of my favourites. ;)

I wasn't surprised to see Kady go. Considering she was in the bottom two the week before, she was already at risk, but I think was Simon said was true. She didn't have the personality when she sang; nothing to make her stand out. She was a sweet girl though.

Danny was good and all, but the look he was giving the camera during his performance creeped me out. What was that about? If your vocal is strong enough you shouldn't need to rely on making faces. Maybe he was trying to get into the song or something, but I think it backfired.

Some surprises in the top 12: David Cook and Ramiele Maulaby. Neither of them have stood out for me yet, I think they're lacking some of the personality (Ramiele is way too quiet! If you're going to be a performer you really have to get over the shy thing). Maybe they'll come out and do something fantastic in the coming weeks, but for right now I really don't think either of them will make it much further.

Hmm, I have to say that only three have stood out for me, and one is already now beginning to grate a little for me. Amanda is one, Brooke White is another and David Archuleta, but DA is beginning to get on my nerves, I'm afraid.

For instance, I completely forgot that there is only a year between David and Danny and yet there seems to be a gulf of difference in appearance and manner. David is like a doe-eyed puppy dog in need of constant pampering, lapping up the attention he is getting. (I do think though that he is far shrewder than he lets on btw) And Danny seems a lot more worldwise than David despite only being a year older than him.

Anyway, even though those three have caught my eye what I can't say is that any one of them are particularly special for me. They've done well with what they have chosen, for instance, Brooke's rendition of "Love is a Battlefield" was very good because it was so different to the orginal, however, it wasn't so different to all the other stuff she has done on Idol, and the same can be said about Amanda and DA - and that's why I don't think they're anything special because there's no variety to what they are doing.

...Sorry...

I heard on the radio today that some of the record companies are looking at both David's as good investments. They seems to think that they will be the final two. Apparently they don't care too much about the girls.

this week is the beatles...and they only have 25 songs to choose from. That is lame!

I am so bummed that Danny is gone. There are quite a few people on the message boards saying their text votes were not confirmed, meaning they didn't count. I don't understand how chikezie got more votes! He has no fanbase...and Danny's is pretty large.

I really liked Danny's tainted love, it was pretty good. I liked his voice, because it was different, not like the usual power singers full of vocal runs that we are normally subjected to. I also liked that he was different, and that he joked around. Unfortunately a lot of idol fans mistook this as arrogance. Sadly he was not voted out because of his performance, but because of who he is. There were many comments on the message boards about people feeling sick from watching him, complaining that he wasn't normal, saying he should act more 'manly'. People are still attacking him. People are still attacking sanjaya as well. And what is really sad, most of those posters are adults. It was really disgusting some of the comments.

I sort of study the reasons people vote for contestants...and the most comments i see are personality based. I think its an american thing...cause canadian idol, no one cares about stuff like that.

This is a great years for scandals though. There is the whole plant one...with carly, michael and David A. being the major plants. Yes David A. might seem young, but he has connections to idol and the industry. Also, it was just uncovered that David H. used to work at a gay strip bar, as a stripper. LOL...some of the idol fans weren't too impressed with that one. Amanda was arrested for a DUI...and Danny had a webcam video, which he made when he was younger (like 15), where he was acting out a monologue, but he made a joke about santa raping mothers...well, that didn't go over too well. I thought it was funny, i have a twisted sense of humour like that. It was supposed to be sarcastic, but people when crazy over it.

check out Josiah Leming's myspace. He was the guy who lived in his car, that didn't make it. His song's are amazing...what a great songwriter. I was blown away...for such a young age, his lyrics are incredible.

http://www.myspace.com/josiahleming

And I don't get the hype over David A. He is always out of breath...and i don't see any feeling in his singing. He is like a trained monkey...and acts all 'cutesy' and giggles. Yikes...people are talking about him like he is the next coming of christ. He isn't that great. I don't like that style of singing...i don't see him becoming a good recording artist.

I agree with what you said about David A, xfCanadian. My first initial thought after I read Missing's post about the industry showing an interest in David A and David H was "Hmm, so I suppose there's even more room out there for the sickly sweet, insulin-inducing voices out there then" :rolleyes: I just think they're much the same as many other singers out there and not as talented as they themselves in David H's case and/or the majority seem to think they are.

I must also have a sick sense of humour because I did laugh out loud when I read your bit about Danny saying something about Santa raping mothers, because I can imagine the temperament he said it in, which was dry witted with a strong hint of sarcasm.

I also agree with what you said about Danny's rendition of "Tainted Love". For me it was the best song choice and one of the best delivered of the entire night. It seriously galls me when someone is voted off/kept on a show simply because of their looks or lack of them when it comes to being voted off. Mind you, it's probably why most of the pop scene is a a huge pile of shite anyway.

I really liked Josiah Lemming but he seriously bombed his second audition. Still, having said that, I'd've given him the nod into the next round and see what he could do from then on because he does have a sense of originality about him and as you said, he is very talented.

I mean the judges keep bleating on about not copy-catting anyone and yet the ones that are getting the most praise from them such as David A and David H are just like anyone else out there.

Oh, and Amanda getting busted for DUI - So not a surprise there - chuckle.

I'm a hugh BEATLES fan, so I was sorta of wincing with angst, to see how these singers would pull this off Lennon/McCartney.. big shoes to fill, if at all:eek:, but was pleasantly suprised, they all did good. My picks were!

Carley on "Come Together" really good version!

Brooke.. "Let It Be" I was going "lord only Paul can sing that".. but not bad:thumbsup:

Amanda "Cant' Do That" great version:)

David "'Across The Universe" a tear jerker song, and he pulled it off:thumbsup:

Kristy "8 Days of The Week" and Simon hated it, but I kinda of enjoyed the country style of it! his comment "Dolly Parton on Helium":guffaw:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back