"A La Cart" Episode Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Sep 30, 2007.

1. NHRFan

NHRFan Coroner

I like it. Second case about Catherine and Warrick, they boring, I like to eat my food when the light on. Only one person is funny is David Phillip.

First case about the Go-Cart- I think Greg is lying about he know about Grissom and Sara being together, he just want to press Nick. They are funny. In the morgue, David have trouble get the head out of the helmet, he was funny when he did that.

Nick is so cute when he ask Sara to go riding with him and he said, "Suit yourself." I think that was he said.

Nick and Hodges are funny together. I'm glad Hodges is in the credit and he should be in the beginning before Sofia, he was in CSI since third season.

2. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

I forgot something. The first person on the guest cast list had the last name of Lombard. Is she related to Louise/Sofia?

PS Marc Vann...is that Vartaan?

3. Charity

Charity Police Officer

The epi overall was allright. The arcs went pretty much as I guessed they would. There was no chance of Grissom moving. It's just the way it is. There were some definite funny spots, starting with that heading bouncing down the road. How great was that? I thought Ecklie was amazingly unEcklie in this epi, almost human in fact. It was refreshing and even funny. I liked the accident recreation in general; they don't do enough of that sort of thing anymore. It seemed obvious after the fiasco of Warrick's bday and his wife's surprise party that he would be getting divorced. It was nice of them to actually mention it. The whole blind restaurant thing? Well let's just say I didn't see the point of it. If you're going to kill off "Hef/Hux" you could certainly do better than that.

4. 2imagine

2imagine Victim

Loved the "Ricky Bobby" line Nick tossed out to Gil at the end.

5. Zodiac32

Zodiac32 Rookie

I'd have to say, I was not disappointed with this episode.

The throwback was interesting; it's good too see a lighter episode after the last one, and even S7 finale.

I really liked that Grissom wasn't around the whole time Nick and Greg were working together. They finally got a case of their own and they did a dang good job too! Got some great interaction between the guys. *thumbs up* Some good stuff for us The Love fans to feed off of for awhile. hehe.

Yes, I love Mandy's new haircut! And finally, Greg's hair is halfway back to normal. No more S6/S7 hair, it's short again! Woot!

I'm kinda disappointed that the opening credits haven't changed since last season, with the exception of adding Wallace. Ah, well. I'll live.

All in all, I'd say it was a very, very good episode. I'll be watching it again and again, seeing as I taped it. XD

6. kaylyne

kaylyne Coroner

THat's right. I forgot to mention how nice it was to see Karina Lombard again. I've only seen her as Marina on The L Word. Not sure if she's any relation to Louise, but I don't believe so.

7. NHRFan

NHRFan Coroner

Karina is not related to Louise. Karina is born in Tahiti then she move to Spain with her father. Her mother died when she was 9 month old. She use to live in Europe.

8. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

The Go Cart story was really good, but the restaurant story was too creepy for me. Eating food in the dark has no appeal to me at all.

The last scene was great. Great laugh from Nick!

9. mrb105

mrb105 Pathologist

Did anybody else notice Doc Robbins Go carting with the team at the end as well? I didn't see it the first time, but when I re-watched the end there he was.

10. Zodiac32

Zodiac32 Rookie

I noticed that too! At first I was like 'Is that Doc?' and then after re-watching it I was like 'That is Doc! Rock on!' XD

11. korbjaeger

korbjaeger Pathologist

Well, most of my "Night of the Living Rehash" observations have been amply covered by the rest of you eagle-eyed folks...I do have to comment though, their experiment of firing the piece of steel-belted truck tire from that sort of a contraption at a ballistics gel dummy? Nearly bit-by-bit identical to an experiment done on Discovery Channel's "Mythbusters", about the urban myth of such an occurrence possibly being fatal to a nearby driver. I swear - IDENTICAL.

The least they could do would be to have Adam and Jamie do guest bits on "CSI"... :lol:

Interesting cover of "Running Up That Hill", one of my fave songs (the original, anyway) when it came out...I still have "Hounds of Love" on vinyl! :D

12. ItDontMatter

ItDontMatter Hit and Run

I enjoyed both cases. Loved everyone but Grissom and Sara. Nick and Greg were hot and funny. Bombs, "Ricky Bobby" and pulling the gun out, gotta love it. War and Cath were kinda hot together. Flirting is fun!!!. Thanks TPTB for leaving that to our imaginations and fandom.

Since TPTB brought GSR out of fandom(where it should have remained) they have to continue the arc but it's just dragging the cases down with it. Both cases felt semi-unexplained due to time constraints IMO, but hey, they got in some good father/daughter time for Griss and Sara.

Ha, noticed Doc's crutch thing (sorry, don't know what theya are called) first, the realized it was him.

I also saw the "Mythbusters" epi and it was damn close to identical. Pretty nifty I thought.

I'm giving it an 8 for the cases and the final scenes with everyone go-karting.

13. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

:D on this ep. although there were two murders, it was lighthearted, opposite from the intensity of last week's. The beginning scene, with Ecklie and Sara, he was actually courteous with her, and kinda of nice, then when Nick and Greg were walking down the hi-way, and Nick goes to Greg "did you know about Grissom & Sara" and Greg goes "yeah" so matter of fact, and on that note I don't think the revelation was a big shock to them in "Living Doll' as much as it was that he revealed it outloud. "the only one I've ever loved" I think they've always all known. The eating in the dark part :( these people were as goofy, as the ones in "Ending Happy" to off the wall and un-realistic, PLEASE :confused: but enjoyed watching Cath and Warrick working together, their good. And Nick and Greg also good working together, the go-cart part of the ep. was a bit better, to me then the other story line. Brass :lol: as usual. And the girl at the track, I believe she was the same one as in "Turn Of The Screw" the Queen on the rollar coaster. And on Grissom and the silly straw hat :eek: He wore that in "Shooting Stars", "TOYD" and "Ending Happy" because he's in the freakin' desert!!!!!and he's handsome, no matter what that never changes, his skin was smooth as glass :p I thought he looked great, and his age :eek:, Cath, Brass & Doc are all about the same age group. None of them are getting any younger, And of course Grissom and Ecklie, he's still so mean to Grissom a bit jealous, perhaps? and Grissom's sarcastic remark about "Where do you get your info. about women Conrad" :D and "we didn't want you to know, which takes it to the private factor, and how discreet they both were, all this time. I hold much respect and admiration, for that. And Grissom so happy in the car scene, with Sara showing how darling and sweet & comfortable they are with on another.. awesome, they are together, and seem relaxed that now everyone knows for sure "you had a pony tail" ;) AHHH, he remembers something so long ago! He's so evolved from the cranky lab geek to a man in love, and this aspect of CSI adds zest and sizzle to the whole show & puts him on a higher level for everyone! especially her. And them at the track, how she told him to "go on" and smiled the whole time" So she's taking the swing-shift.. very cool of her.. An OK episode. enjoyable!

14. Alyssa

Alyssa CSI Level Two

I'm finding it difficult to formulate a coherant opinion on this episode because my heart is breaking.

I finally got to see the whole thing with my husband, tonight, and, surprisingly, enjoyed both cases, though one more than the other, and found the GSR bits to be just as lovely as before.

But, I'm haunted by the image of Sara standing there, arm in a sling, realizing just how separated she now is from those she loves most. It's poetic, and it's beautiful, and it was amazingly directed and acted, but it's absolutely heart breaking. I'm sitting here at my computer, and I'm deeply affected. I mean, it's probably because I'm projecting too much and finding a new kinship with Sara in that feeling of being still a part of the team, but somehow outside it. Whatever it is, it's not letting me go, and I'm sitting here devestated by the thought that soon that beautiful talent may no longer grace my screen except in reruns.

The Go-Kart case was the runaway fav for me this week. I just had a blast with it, even though I didn't think murder was ever a part of the equation. There were just so many subtle things in this episode that made it really... nice.

I liked the idea of the trophies. I've played laser tag twice in my life, and I still have my cards from my first one when I triumphantly took on the veterans and topped them all. I was 14, I believe, but it was an amazing victory for me. I felt like I was queen of the world, so I thought it was a nice touch that these teenagers, granted a bit older, but still very much obsessed with status, would enjoy that type of thing.

There were many funny lines associated with the go-kart case, most notably Greg's reference to making bombs in his youth, which I found absolutely delightful and perfectly in character. Greg and Nick are a grand team, and they play comedy off of one antoher brilliantly. I loved Nick's reaction when Greg claimed to have been "in the know" about the Gil/Sara phenomenon.

I loved the brother. I know this might sound strange, but it's comforting to me, sometimes, to see a person in a wheelchair. My grandmother was a cripple, and would often let me spin in her chair. It wasn't strange or out of place to me, but a part of my childhood. It was just a part of life. So, for me, there's a degree of familiarity to see someone in a wheelchair. So, I immediately, irrationally, liked the character.

I also liked the touches. Though his brother was a bit of a showoff, he was still very tender about their father's death. He wore the belt every day as his way of "dealing." And the helmet was to show pride in his brother. I thought it was brilliant and very true to life. It reminded me of my baby brother, and I believe that he'd do something like that in that situation.

And Mandy and Nick. They just have this great connection and understanding, and he's such a gentleman with her and she's a lady with him. I don't know how to describe it, but I adore the kinship, there.

On the other case, Warrick and Catherine take a twist in the dark, and while I really enjoyed all the funny twists and turns, it was very easy to pick out the killer. The motive was a jumbled mess, but the killer was easy to notice.

And whoever said they thought the sign said "bling" instead of "blind," my husband was with you, commenting how that wasn't very subtle for YoBling. I about died.

I told my husband that I believe the person who wrote the episode is not a fan of dining in the dark... I mean, we had an affair going on at one table. Then, we had a guy groping a young lady. Regardless of her profession, she did not deserve to be groped by a stranger against her will. And, we had a murder.

Not to mention, everyone's dining with those skewers. To me, that's lawsuit-central. But, I'm getting carried away with the minute details that don't mean anything in the grand scheme of things.

As for the Gil/Sara stuff, I rather liked most of it, and found myself chuckling out loud at times. When Sara came in, there was a nice moment of everyone regarding her, happy to have her back, but almost completely aware of what it meant to have her back. She's got a new label to them, and it's one that they're going to have to get used to.

Ecklie seems to have gotten over all his past issues with Sara. I'm glad. They have a good onscreen chemistry either way, but it made it a lot more relaxed and casual.

I adore that Sara stated simply that they've always had a relationship. This is true. There was always something there, regardless of what you want to define it as or label it as. Grissom, himself, couldn't put a name to it in season 3, but he couldn't help but admit that he felt it. He knew it was there. In "Butterflied," it still bore no name, but "it" drove him crazy throughout the episode as he fought the battle the reality of the dead girl versus the scenario in his head inwhich he had lost, not a stranger, but the one woman he believed he could love.

I also like that she stated "are" instead of "were." Some people think she was being snide or rude, but I think that she was simply trying to keep things real. To say that they "were" in a romantic relationship would imply that it was over. And while disciplinary action would still be taken either way, Sara wants it on the record that they are still together, and that this is an active thing. They are not each other's pasts. They are each other's nows.

She remembers when they first got "intimate," which rather gave me a giggle coming from Ecklie! I love, though, that it was two years ago, though, as so many of us have speculated. Those of us in the GSR fandom have spent a lot of time trying to settle on a timeline that made sense for all the things were knew were cut out of scripts, or changed at the last minute because of unforseen circumstances, etc. To actually know that it happened two years ago makes it even more fun for us to go back through old episodes and see how certain scenes were played, and to see if we can make it work, or if the writers are just stretching to satisfy their imaginary timeline that never made it onscreen...

Anyway, on a Sunday. My husband always remembers those little details. It's nice that she remembers.

And Gil asserting that the relationship started nine years ago was just hilarious. I have to step back a second, though, and agree with Ecklie that Gil did not handle this situation well. Hold off! Don't bite my head off, yet! Yes, Sara's to blame as well, but please let me make my point! :)

See, there were ways around all this mess and having it come out the way it did. It's awful that it's happening, but it was preventable. I do wonder, sometimes, why Gil and Sara chose to keep it hush-hush, and knowing that there were alternatives makes the decision even more questionable. Yes, I know that the writers are trying to make it more dramatic, but I do question how that interlaces with what they've established for these two characters. I always assumed that them being together would be a violation and they would be subject to consequences no matter what. I never would have considered that Ecklie would make arrangements otherwise. However, in this scene, he's the controlled one, and Gil seems a bit... snippy.

I mean, while I admit I snickered at the comment when Gil asked Ecklie where he got his information on women since I believe we know his character is divorced, but Gil and Sara did have a choice, and could have avoided her moving to another shift if only they had sucked it up.

I'm still very conflicted on this part of the episode, and will probably have to meditate on it, further, before I come to a conclusion that makes sense within my own head, let alone one I can express to anyone else.

As for the scene in the car: I adored it. It was probably the most "couply" I've ever felt these character have been together. As they sat there in the car, he had to know what she said to Ecklie about their timeline, and while we don't get to see his face when he reacts to her reply, we see hers, and it cracks me up. I love that she finds his answer amusing and that she just laughs at him. See, it reminds me of me and my husband. We do things like that to each other all the time, and it just cracks both of us up.

I just loves how easy and relaxed they seemed with one another, and how he remembered that she had her hair in a ponytail that day. It just seems so sweet and romantic and relaxed. Yes, I said it, again. This scene felt very real and honest and just... human.

I love how she sobers first, asserting that she's going to swing. "We talked about this." He doesn't like it. He does not like the idea of her being the one to switch. He thinks he should be the one to go down, but she argues her case, and he decides to step back and let it be her decision. It hurts him, and you can tell he's not happy with it, but he loves her and he's going to let her make her own mind up. They talked it out and probably weighed the pros and cons, but she now sees things differently. She's being self-sacrificial in a way that she really shouldn't, but it ties into her personality. And Gil, trying to be a part of this couple thing, lets her make up her own mind.

In the go-kart place, Gil's watching, and he's willing to stay by Sara's side, but she wants him to have fun. She knows that, in a minute, she'd be out there if not for the cast. She'd be going round that track and having a blast, and she doesn't want to take that from her roller coaster loving sweetheart.

And so, she stands there, and as she does, the loneliness hits her. She wasn't prepared for it, but here she is, watching the entire team go round and round the track, enjoying their lives, smiling and laughing, and she's set apart. She's watching the show, and she's smiling when they look over, but she's not actually a part of it. It's a terribly beautiful metaphor for what she's going through in her life, right now.

These are her friends, her family, and now she's going to be on a shift without any of them. When the team split the first time she still had Gil and Greg and all the night lab people, but now she's going to be in a whole new world, and it's killing her inside. If the first episode of the season was about the team finding Sara and acting as a group to reach her, this is the episode where she starts to worry she's going to have to let them go, in a way.

Bear with me. I'm not saying she's never going to talk to them anymore, but there's this emotion that washes over you when you realize the people you've seen every day for the last seven years aren't going to be a part of your daily life anymore. Just a few weeks ago, a guy at my workplace left. He's a great guy with a wife and two kids, and he wanted to be with them more, and nobody blamed him. And while we all still stay in contact with him, it's not the same. And as he said his goodbye speech, he teared up, admitting that we'd all still be in touch, but that it wouldn't be the same thing as coming to work everyday, because the people there were his best friends, and he was used to having them in his life daily.

I've only known the man seven months, but I teared up.

Sara's on the outside now, to an extent. She's on a different shift. She's with different people. She just came through one of the most harrowing experiences of her life, and now she's stepping back and taking the brunt of the punishment for her and Gil's involvement. She loves him, and you can see her smiling at him when he looks her way, because she really loves him. You see her smiling at her friends when they wave. This is her family, and she doesn't want them to see her cry, but it's breaking her to feel like an outsider.

Someone else pointed out that she's on the outside "again." It's true, and I believe that's part of her reasoning for wanting ot be the one to switch... This team was together before she came along. She became a part of the team, she integrated, but now she's pulling herself out. And, it breaks your heart. When things like this happen, you start wondering if you were ever part of the team to start with. It's irrational and out of place, but pain will do a lot to the memory, sometimes. You start confusing what's real and what's perceived, and it's heart breaking.

And that's what worries me most for our dear Sara. I don't think she'll fall apart, since it's clear she's still able to laugh and smile, but I do think she's going to be aching for a long time, and I can only hope that she doesn't have to be as alone as she believes herself to be at this moment.

And... I could write a novel on this, so I better stop, but my heart is still breaking.

15. ejacksonian

ejacksonian Hit and Run

I think you are guys are missing something here. The question is, what does Grissom consider "intimate"? It seems implicitly different from Sara's definition.