9x06 - "Reality Kills" - **CONTAINS SPOILERS**

Most likely what will happen is one of the episodes they had scheduled to show at the end of the year won't be shown until next year.
When this happened last year with Cold Case, CBS didn't do a double header, they simply put the airing of each episode back by a week.
As to where they put it in the schedule,hate to sound like a broken record, but they knew exactly what they were doing when they put it there. The fact the last two shows put there (The Unit and Cold Case) were canceled at the end of that year speaks loud and clear about CBS's intentions in regards to CSI Miami.

Ok, I hate to spoil the "doom & gloom" party, but you can't read anything into CBS' not airing "Reality Kills" this week. The NFL game ran long, and CBS has reached an agreement with its affiliates that it will not air primetime programming where the start time is past 10:00. The game did not end until 7:07, so they aired 60 Minutes at 7:07, The Amazing Race at 8:07, and Undercover Boss at 9:07. If they game would have ended at 6:59, CBS would have aired CSI: Miami. I'm personally happy that CBS doesn't air the show extremely late when there is a sport overrun because they can save the original episodes for later in the season to air against repeats on the other nets, which will actually help the ratings in the long run.

At this point, we really don't know CBS' intentions toward CSI: Miami. Unlike Cold Case and The Unit, CBS actually produces the show and they get all of the money from its syndication, both in the US and internationally (Cold Case was a WB production and The Unit was a Fox Production), and CSI: Miami is still a HUGE international hit that continues to make the net a boatload of cash. Also, the ratings the show has received so far, although down from Monday, are still a huge improvement over the numbers The Unit and Cold Case generated in the last two seasons, especially the all important demos. Maybe CBS put CSI: Miami in the "Sunday death slot" because they had faith in its being their best option to handle the screwy schedule?

^^ You make several valid points! I didn't know that about the 10:00 agreement. It makes sense though, I suppose... airing it could have earned horrible ratings, as late as it was. My biggest issue was the simple fact they didn't really mention it at all that night, and they still put it online. That could possibly kill ratings for next week. That aside, I do agree that if they air a new episode while other stations are showing repeats, it could bode very well- as those who typically DVR to watch something else will tune in , as well as the fact that it could possibly bring in new viewers...

I would also like to say, when football season is over and repeats of these 'late' aired episodes are shown, it's highly possibly they could pull in high ratings as to a lot of people are CONFUSED, and have missed them. I go on the facebook page of both CSI: Miami and CBS and see people constantly asking 'why is undercover boss in CSI:M's time slot' and 'Why is my local affiliate not showing Miami'... those people will probably tune into watch, if they didn't view online (and judging from some of their comments, they don't like to do that.)

Nice positive spin on it. Still wish CBS would have handled it a little better. And I stand by my original feeling, not just about CSI: Miami- but CBS as a whole- they don't care about the fans. Sadly enough.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but I really thought Cold Case survived for two seasons on Sundays? I followed the show too, and I could have sworn 90% I ended up irritated and missing it. (I wasn't as devoted to it as I am CSI: Miami)

As for the Unit, I loved it, but knew it was gone. It just... flat lined it's last season. CSI: Miami is far from that. The writers are on it this season! Plus, the Unit never had THAT high of ratings to begin with... I don't think... even when they were on Tuesdays. (?) Could have been decent, but nothing to what today's shows bring in. (Correct me if I'm wrong!)

ETA: According to IMDB, Cold Case did indeed air it's last two seasons on Sunday.

Cold Case aired on Sunday its entire run. It started at 8:00, and then moved to 9:00 when CBS moved Without a Trace to Sunday as part of CBS' "Race/Case/Trace" lineup, and last year, it was moved to 10:00.

Oh, and CBS was actually considering picking up The Unit last season and moving it to Friday in between Ghost Whisperer and Numb3rs. However, NBC cancelled Medium, and because it is a CBS production where the net would get additional synidication profits for producing more episodes, they picked up Medium and cancelled The Unit.

You are right! I forgot about that. I guess the last two years (especially the last one) got me with all of the delays. I completely forgot WaT moved to Sundays.... during it's final year, sadly enough. :(

I too am really disappointed that football is reeking havoc on our CSI Miami. I don't understand why they don't air Hawaii Five O and Miami back to back....both shows use the same color palates and have similar formats. They put CSI NY back to back with Blood Bloods so why not do the same in this case?

I honestly don't think writing letters to CBS is going to get CBS to move it back to its old time slot, but I did write a letter and signed a petition just to make sure my voice was heard.

I was lucky enough to watch Reality Kills early Monday morning via Comcast On Demand and really really enjoyed seeing how the filming I saw came together in the end and I got to see my rental car make a quick appearance too. lol

In my opinion the first six episode of this season are a huge improvement over season 8, it seems like they are being more consistent in giving all the characters equal time on screen. Hopefully this trend continues.

Hope all are well!

Last edited:
I too am really disappointed that football is reeking havoc on our CSI Miami. I don't understand why they don't air Hawaii Five O and Miami back to back....both shows use the same color palates and have similar formats. They put CSI NY back to back with Blood Bloods so why not do the same in this case?
Because CSI NY is on at 9 & Blue Bloods in on at 10.
On Mondays 8-10 is comedies: How I Met Your Mother & Rules of Engagment & Two & Half Men & Mike and Molly. Which two do you think they should get rid of?
At 10 is Hawaii Five-0.
The news is at 11, so they never have anything start that late.

How about a Comedy block to boost Sundays?! Leave HIMYM and Two and a Half on Monday's, move Mike & Molly and Rules of Engagement to Sundays. IDK... could work.

How about moving 60 Minutes to Saturdays?! Hmmm....

To bad we can't be in charge of it for a week.

Did anyone call the numbers posted? If so, what was the response? I'm thinking of calling tomorrow....

Thank you Ragincajun for the voice of reason. It is ridiculous to think that CBS would intentionally want to ruin a show. With that said, it does seem that CBS could use our advice on the scheduling of these shows. It makes perfect sense to put commonly themed shows together in a block--reality with reality, cop with cop, etc. And what would have been the harm to remove Undercover Boss for one week and run CSIM in its usual timeslot. It is totally insulting to the loyal fans. I can't imagine the fans of UB would have ranted as much if it was delayed by a week. What added insult to injury was that UB ran an episode with the boss cleaning toilets for 15 minutes and they ended up getting ratings as good as CSIM. Can you explain to me what the draw of this show is?

Thank you Ragincajun for your thoughts which I agree with. It will be pretty absurd if they cancel the show at the end of this season due to these time changes. Thats not the show's fault. I also agree that its a good idea not to air a show too late when people go to work the next day. You are also right about the show having a big international market. I don't think Cold Cases or the unit were that popular.
I also agree with Theresa that it wouldn't have killed the network to remove undercover boss for one week and run CSIM since they already aired a reality show 'the amazing race'. I hope that if the football delays come again, they will do this. Sort of rotate the shows they are not going to air instead of choosing CSIM always as the show that gets cut off.
I totally accept blinded by smoke's point that the network should have mentioned that the show was not going to be aired that day. In the part of the world where I live, shows are sometimes delayed due to cricket matches running overtime (not very often tho because sports have their own channels) and the network always puts a caption saying 'sorry the show will be delayed or there will be no show this week'. Its idiotic to put the show online and expect to have good ratings for it next week.

I watched the show together with Sunday's Amazing Race. It was an excellent episode. I won't say much here as it isn't the spoiler thread and not everyone may have watched it but it was very well done. Such a shame if it doesn't get the ratings it deserves.

Ok, I hate to spoil the "doom & gloom" party, but you can't read anything into CBS' not airing "Reality Kills" this week. The NFL game ran long, and CBS has reached an agreement with its affiliates that it will not air primetime programming where the start time is past 10:00. The game did not end until 7:07, so they aired 60 Minutes at 7:07, The Amazing Race at 8:07, and Undercover Boss at 9:07. If they game would have ended at 6:59, CBS would have aired CSI: Miami. I'm personally happy that CBS doesn't air the show extremely late when there is a sport overrun because they can save the original episodes for later in the season to air against repeats on the other nets, which will actually help the ratings in the long run.

Your points are rational and valid ragincajun!!:thumbsup: I didn't know about that arrangement but that makes sense. The last time the game ran that late they did show Miami but the game did end before the top of the hour.

At this point, we really don't know CBS' intentions toward CSI: Miami. Unlike Cold Case and The Unit, CBS actually produces the show and they get all of the money from its syndication, both in the US and internationally (Cold Case was a WB production and The Unit was a Fox Production), and CSI: Miami is still a HUGE international hit that continues to make the net a boatload of cash. Also, the ratings the show has received so far, although down from Monday, are still a huge improvement over the numbers The Unit and Cold Case generated in the last two seasons, especially the all important demos. Maybe CBS put CSI: Miami in the "Sunday death slot" because they had faith in its being their best option to handle the screwy schedule?

Because of Miami and it's high rating is probably the reason Hawaii Five-O (an unproven new show) was put in that Monday time slot and Miami was moved to Sunday. Miami could withstand the first half football delays while a new show would never develop a fan base if no one could see it on a regular basis.

Thank you Ragincajun for your thoughts which I agree with. It will be pretty absurd if they cancel the show at the end of this season due to these time changes. Thats not the show's fault. I also agree that its a good idea not to air a show too late when people go to work the next day. You are also right about the show having a big international market. I don't think Cold Cases or the unit were that popular.

Miami has been a consistant Top Twenty show for a while and if this forum is any indication, a huge, loyal fan base which can weather delays and weird moves by CBS.

I totally accept blinded by smoke's point that the network should have mentioned that the show was not going to be aired that day. In the part of the world where I live, shows are sometimes delayed due to cricket matches running overtime (not very often tho because sports have their own channels) and the network always puts a caption saying 'sorry the show will be delayed or there will be no show this week'. Its idiotic to put the show online and expect to have good ratings for it next week.

They probably didn't know until the very last minute that they were going to preempt Miami. They, however, usually will give the altered Sunday lineup near the end of the fooball broadcast. I don't know if they did and if they didn't, that was Mistake #1. Mistake #2 was not putting the entire eppie for viewing on the CBS website, unless they pretty much knew right away they were going to show Reality Kills this upcoming Sunday. Of course, communicating this somehow would have been nice.:rolleyes:

Only time will tell... but I learned long ago that rational thinking and CBS don't always go hand in hand.
If nothing else, the fact Charlie Sheen still has a show proves that.

Normally I'd review and grade this episode, but IT HASN'T AIRED YET. I hope this doesn't become a pattern, because if it does I can guarantee that Miami's ratings will go right down the toilet. And is there going to be a new episode in Canada this week? I'm in the states, and I find it kind of odd that we'd be behind Canada by one episode. Does that mean that we'd get a new episode when they have a repeat? I guess that could work. But I have a feeling that the Canadians out there wouldn't mind being ahead of us by one episode! You lucky guys! :p

Did anyone else receive this email today?

Thank you for writing to CBS. In answer to your question, the CSI: MIAMI episode that was pre-empted on November 7 (“Reality Kills”) will be shown on Sunday, November 14th at 10:00pm.

Cordially,

Ray Faiola
Director,
CBS Audience Services

It was in response to my complaint I sent on Sunday. I was like, "Thanks for replying, but you didn't answer my question."

Does CBS not realize putting Canada ahead of the US will KILL the ratings? It will be out there, online, once it airs in Canada... Just sayin. They need to get their act together!

And yes, GG, same here. Sad part is, I DIDN'T ASK A QUESTION. I don't think there was one question mark during my entire letter!!! Ugh.

They really should sync us back up. I don't want to see the ratings die this way.

Back