6x19 Rock and a Hard Place - **CONTAINS SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Wyoming, May 2, 2008.

1. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

Hm, why is the door open for her, but it never really was for Rory up until this year? :wtf: :rolleyes:

Whatever. [/petty]

I'm kind of sad that she's gone, as she's been with the show since day one but on the other hand, I'm interested in seeing where this goes and who fills in.

This episode was definitely a great one and it was wonderful to see the team connect at the end, albeit through unfortunate circumstances.

2. ilh214

ilh214 Pathologist

that was a really great episode. i was glad to see emotion from horatio. that really hasn't been uncommon this season but it still never fails to surprise me. and natalia and calleigh tearing up got to me, i got teary eyed as well. i'm really going to miss alexx, she was an amazing character. she couldn't possibly be replaced but i'll be waiting to see what they do.

and shane! i was so excited to see shane in the episode. i haven't been reading anything and let everything surprise me so seeing katherine moennig was a treat. i love her on the l word.

3. miamirocks

miamirocks Lab Technician

I have to say, I'm glad Alexx left on HER terms, and wasn't fired. The episode was interesting, and the whole time I kept picturing her son as that little boy in "Broken." I'm really gonna miss the humanity Alexx brought to the victims - and to the team. I was sooo glad she got to say goodbye to everybody - yet another "group hug"! (Sort of, it was all seperate, but still - so sweet :) And poor Calleigh! She was all teared up - you know she's probably gonna miss Alexx the most, especially after all she's gone through).

Wow, Horatio acted HUMAN in this ep - he got kinda choked up there, huh? Anyone else notice that he was the only one who didn't hug Alexx? I'm thinking H is totally in denial on this one. Or he just didn't want to lose it like Calleigh did, you know? Either that, or he just doesn't like being touched in any way shape or form nowadays.

I'm really gonna miss Alexx - she was totally the team mom. There really should've been a "group" shot, though - like in "Lost Son." I mean, why can't these actors show up on the set on the same day one time a year? Seriously - this was big. I liked the end, but think it would've been more powerful if all of them kind of "saw her off" or something, and then we would see their reaction to each other.

I'm glad her son wasn't really a part of the crime, and that H really did step out for her - I mean, he can relate, right? Maybe Brian and Kyle should start hangin' out at "Boys' Town" or something ;)

And next week...

So I guess Cal is threatened by Stetler? And gets fired??? :wtf: The lab is just full of freakin' drama, isn't it? Remember the days when they didn't have to almost lose their lives or jobs to make this show entertaining? Oh, and I love how the preview made it look like Eric was talking to H at the end - "So, did you hear what happened to Calleigh?" Umm... dude, H is her boss, I would HOPE he heard about it! But then again, they haven't said a word to each other since ambush, so maybe that's a wink to the fact that H and Cal never interact, except when Ausiello threatens to make them a blind item in his column. :rolleyes:

4. Kerosene

Kerosene Witness

So sad! Alex wasn't one of the characters that I was drawn to but seeing Cal tear up...broke me.

5. mjszud

mjszud Captain

My eyes were welling as soon as they showed Horatio all emotional, yes I thought the man actually looked like he might shed a tear (even though it would possibly leave a burn).
    Anyway, when she went on to hug Natalia , I thought "oh how sweet, I always wanted a nice scene with them" then I saw Nat's face & she was about to cry, then I couldn't stop. My lip was a quivering mess by the time Alexx got to Calleigh.
    Very sweet & touching ending.

I've heard alot of people tell me how irritating it was when Alexx always talked to the dead, & in the scene when she is telling Horatio that she wants her voice to be the last thing the victims hear, I just thought that was really awesome.

I give it an A+!!! Nicely written & it wasn't too overdramatized, the emotions were done perfectly.

:)

6. dogbert14

dogbert14 Rookie

Good episode. I got all choked up at the end. I haven't cried in over 3 years, but the ending almost made me.

Yep, the door is always open for Alexx. I'm sure she will make a few cameo appearances in the future. =)

7. HellsBells

HellsBells Tormenting Camp Counselors

I wasn't expecting this to be the episode that Alexx leaves in, so I was very surprised. I'm glad that they handled it very well though. They gave her a great story line (who better to be a mama bear protecting her cub then Alexx?) and let her leave gracefully. I think they learned from past mistakes not to kill people off, it makes things a tad bit messy.

That ending was so sad, seeing her hug everybody as she's leaving. You can tell that Ryan has a special place in her heart, the way even as she was leaving she "mothered" him, and to see Calleigh cry, wow. I never thought that would be possible, but she did!

On a happier note, I was VERY glad to see Eric back in the scuba suit. We've missed that bad boy with a passion. It's been waayyy to long since we've seen it (and I must say, I think Adam bulked up since the last time he wore the suit!).

But may I ask why is Ryan wearing all these ties? And why are his ties always the same color as Tripps? Do they have them in the locker room with a big white board that displays the days of the week and what color to wear and the two choices they have, and whoever gets their first gets to choose which one to wear?

LabCoats! ScubaGear! Valera! Oh My! I love seeing these things that we thought we lost.

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  8. ollieuan

ollieuan Lab Technician

Lawd, I cried like a woman!

That ending montage killed me. I'm glad they gave her the respect she was due, but it destroyed me. Especially Calleigh and Eric. :(

I, too, was glad to see Eric back in the scuba gear. As a matter of fact that was the first thing I mentioned when I saw the jetskis. Maybe we'll see Scuberic!

9. csiwendy07

csiwendy07 Dead on Arrival

Wow.. tonights episode was very suspensful. It kept me guessing till the very end. I didn't think i'd be sad when Alexx left, but when Calleigh came out crying, I started tearing up too! She really is going to be missed! So was tonight the finale or is next weeks?

10. Anni Grey

Anni Grey Coroner

I can't lie. I cried like a baby. I'm a super Khandi/Alexx fan. And this episode was full of everything that I think was missing from season three up till now. Not to say that the other eps were bad( okay a few were,but I digress). I'm just saying that we've seen Alexx from the beginning, she's been there through it all (fires, bombs...more fires...more bombs, oh and a kidnapping) but through it all, she's kept her integrity intact, done a superb job and looked fabulous as hell while doing it.

I was so glad that they decided not to go the 'soil her reputation route'. It would've bugged me to no end if they did that crap again*Tim Speedle* Yes, writers, I'm still glaring at you for that.... I can go on a tirade about that, but I won't. Tonight's about Mrs. Woods.

You've got to love her tenacity, especially as a protective mother. I don't blame her when she stepped up to the plate for her son, and even stood on the other side of the line- ( You couldn't imagine my relief when they found the real culprit)- and even when she was saying her goodbyes, it was a true testament to the character of Alexx Woods. When making her rounds at the end, I was boo hooing like no body's business, but I saw a proud woman, who knew that she had done some good , and had the respect of her peers in tact. That's a woman. A true woman.

Her goodbye to H was the kicker for me though. Years and years these two have been together, and they were what essentially what held this team together-well, with the exception of the pod years( s3-4), their concern for their teammates was unfounded. Alexx is rightly so labled the mother of this dynamic, her serene yet firm way of handling business was just what everyone needed (even that hardheaded son of hers). Glad to see that stayed in tact.

This episode was by far, the best I've seen in a long time. The intensity was there, the mystery was there, and *gasp* the little nasty scum dwellers(informants) were sort of red herrings. Superb, simply superb. My only qualm was with Bryan. He seemed to be so clueless about things...but was so firm about keeping his word with Trey. Peer pressure at it's worst. I'm glad Alexx set him straight about who to give your word to. Their scenes together were great, and to see Khandi at work was just phenomenal. It's a shame at the waste that was perpertrated. A pure shame.

I loved this ep for all it signified, and it's going to be one of my all time faves. I will miss Alexx deeply, its going to be so hard not to see her in her domain, but change is inevitable, and everyone else has to fall in line.

I echo sandersidle's observation...It will NOT be the same without her.

11. ladyd10

ladyd10 Police Officer

I loved the episode and I think it fufilled all my hopes for a great send off for Khandi Alexander. She shone like the sun. She gave an unforgettable and brilliant performance in her swan song. I wish her all the best of luck.

My favorite thing, though was Horatio's scene with her and then the musical montage with Alexx packing and then saiying silent (to us) farewells to each team member, starting with Natalia (the last cast member to be hired), the Ryan, down to a teary eyed and crying Calleigh (Am I the only one that saw more of Emily than Calleigh?), to a loving embrace from Eric. I teared up and said my own farewell to Dr, Alexx Woods, M.E. and th the wonderful actress that portrayed her.

I think we have two more episodes before the season finale, just to answer CSIWendy07's question.

12. luf100

luf100 Coroner

To me that line was like, finally explaining why she does it. After all these years it was just an Alexx quirk, but in that one sentence it was like there was a really good reason for it. I thought it was nice too.

13. panther18

panther18 Rookie

this was one heck of a season!
    I have to admit that I didn't cry when they killed Speed. But I did cry when Eric was shot and tonight. Normally I'm not a sappy person but I was tonight. I started to cry when Horatio and she was in the morgue and I was a mess when she got to Cal and Eric. Like everyone said, Miami will never be the same without her.
    On the other hand we got Eric in a wet suit!
    I give this a 10. :)

14. midnight_tiptoes

midnight_tiptoes Head of the Day Shift

I really wish Alexx had quit this way.

What a wasted opportunity.

15. Della

Della Police Officer

I decided to watch this one because going by the spoilers it wasn’t going to be Horatio centric, and therefore I had a feeling they wouldn’t be getting the character to do the stupid things he’s done of late. Also, I wanted to pay my respects to a unique and very much loveable character.

Very spooky beginning.

I dunno, even though it seems they did their best at the beginning to make it seem as if everyone was there at the scene of the crime, it still seemed disjointed to me. You had Horatio and Alexx, with no sign of Calleigh and Eric, then Calleigh and Alexx, with Horatio gone from the background and no sign of Eric, and then Eric and Calleigh with no sign of Horatio or Alexx. And then finally Ryan and Natalia.

I mean back in “The Lost Son” you had Eric, Horatio and Speed and then Calleigh, Alexx and Horatio in another part of the opening sequence. Seemed more of a team back then because of the extra person. *shrug*

Still it was nice to see Alexx out and about :D

I really liked that Eric was adamant to keep to what his job demanded and run the fingerprints, but that he would not run them until the last possible moment, giving Alexx a chance to find her son. Way to go Eric!

I felt incredibly nervous when Horatio got involved, wondering if he was going to snowball the whole thing, but then it wasn’t his own kid or his nephew so I guess I should have had more confidence in the character. Hard for me to do given some of the things he’s done, but, well, there you go. I did like how he almost begged Brian to give him the information he needed so he could eliminate the boy from the investigation, it was Horatio of old and I really did enjoy that. I still don’t hold out much hope that this kind of concern will remain, but it was nice while it lasted.

Alexx holding her hand up, as if to say ‘talk to the hand’ made me giggle especially because it was aimed towards Horatio. Anyone else, even given the circumstances, and I have a feeling he would have ripped them a new one with just a look, so it was funny to see his complete lack of response at it.

For once, well, in such a long time now, I really enjoyed the incidental music. Far more sedate, as were the split screens. Much, much better.

All in all, it is such a crying shame that the last story Alexx is heavily involved in was to be the best of this season. What a waste, what a bloody waste of such a unique, sensitive, compassionate character and such a waste to be letting this character and such a superb actress go. Idiots! The scene between Alexx and her son Brian was wonderful and what Alexx had to impart was brilliant. Not only a very good piece of writing, but so well acted by Khandi and the guy playing Brian. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

~ ~
    For me, Alexx used to be an integral part of the team, the heart of it, in all honesty, where compassion, love and respect used to reside, and now that part is leaving. I have no idea who is going to step into those loving shoes, though, to be honest, I’m not sure anyone can.

I would really like to say that I will miss Alexx, but, to be honest, I’ve been missing the Alexx of the first three seasons for such a long time now, that her leaving now wasn’t as much of a sadness as it once could have been, and that is such a shame for me. I wish I could have shed a tear but I didn’t. Not one and I really wanted to because everyone should mourn compassion and love when it’s been lost.

An excellent send-off, but it would be a better send off for me, and a better show of respect for such a character and actress, if this episode marks the first steps of CSI Miami trying to get back to what it was once before.

:)