08 Presidential Elections

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something to think about: if Sarah Palin were Sam Palin, all the talk would be about McCain's VP choice being an ultra-conservative redneck. People have to take off the blinders and remember, it's about the issues, not the gender of the VP candidate. And, yes, I would feel the same way if it were Hillary on the Dem ticket.

This letter was in our newspaper this morning in the "letters to the editor" section, and very well written and to the point!

On Wednesday night the Republicans let loose their pit bulls, as Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin 'makes her case". Palin and Govs. Mike Huckabee and Rudy Giuliani were all combative and divisive, making derogatory remarks about Barack Obama. These attack dogs tried to mock and belittle the senator's community work. They said Obama lacked Palin's local and stated government-executive-experience, something Sen. John McCain does not have either. Martin Luther King, Cesar Chavez. Nelson Mandela and Ralph Nadar were all community organizers. The experience they gained from working on behalf of the poor and disadvantaged served them well and their countries well. Presidents Lincoln, FDR Eisenhower and Kennedy also lacked local and state experience. Palin and the Republicans would have us believe that they were unfit to become presidents of the U.S. Since the Republicans do not have any compelling positions on the economy, immigration, health care or energy and have hopelessly mired the country in a ridiculous costly war Their tactic is to divert the attention away from their party and certainly away from their candidate. For the sake of the country, lets hope the voters understand this!

Press Enterprise
name witheld
Riverside, CA.

^^*sigh* there's so many things I can say to that.

I can't believe this person... Did anyone listen to McCain? He only used Obama's name 3 or 4 times; Obama used McCain's name about 30 or 40 times. Yes, the other speakers at the RNC mocked Obama, but remember who the actual candidate is. They don't need to be pretending the Democrats aren't bad mouthing McCain. They've done it worse than the Republicans.

How did they divert attention away from McCain? The majority of their speeches were focused on how fit he is to run the country and what a great guy he is. (and then some Obama bashing, but hey, it's an election).

Martin Luther King, Nelson Mendella....people like that made accomplishments, they're in history books. They changed the world. What has Obama done? He didn't even change Illinois. Is it just because he's black and in politics?

By the way, the hairdo Sarah had should not be an issue to base anything off of. Who cares that a comedian doesn't know anything about her? He's obviously a little behind the times, because now we know all about her.

Martin Luther King, Nelson Mendella....people like that made accomplishments, they're in history books. They changed the world. What has Obama done? He didn't even change Illinois. Is it just because he's black and in politics?

Both MLK Jr and Nelson Mandela broke down racial barriers in their respected countries that don't exist anymore. Obama could hardly have made the exact same change that they already have. What has McCain done that's so brilliant?

UH, he was a a prisoner of war 40 years ago.. which is talked about incessantly, move on. I'd like to see this Sarah Palin in a debate with Joe Biden:lol: he'd wipe her off the map..and am looking forward to the debates between Barack and McCain:wtf: then we'll see what he's all about, McCain I mean:rolleyes:

The thing is, Obama has made no change in anything! Put that and all the other negative things in about him, and he's not a good choice.

McCain is actually a fantastic debater, so if I was a democrat I wouldn't be looking forward to the debates.

But I'm a republican, so I'm excited haha! :)

In other news, Canada's going to the polls on Oct 14. Looks like Stephen Harper's Conservative Party will probably get a majority this time.

When McCain wins, where will all the sulking liberal blue-staters in the US threaten to move to? Canada's been veering further to the right the last couple of election cycles, and I can't imagine that Canada under a Tory Majority would have the same allure.

See Max I've never heard of this guy, we don't have Canadian news shoved down our throats, therefore I don't have on opinion on this news!

And Obama will take it by a landslide:thumbsup:

On Sarah Palin today~
Palin was cast as a reformer who fought the infamous "Bridge to Nowhere", but in fact, she ran for governor in 2006 as a champion of the pork-barrel bridge and "opposed' it and only after it was clear the project was dead. We were told that Palin abbhors carmarks, the special congressional appropriations that Alaska politicians have used to bleed billions from the American taxpayers. But it turns out Palin fought to get earmarks both as mayor and as governor, hiring lobbyists and going to Washington herself to bring them home. It's not the media's fault that the cinematic story envisioned by McCain and his staff has fallen apart on closer inspection. They just didn't do their homework, and they got caught!

Jay Bookman
New York Times News Service

Last edited:
When McCain wins, where will all the sulking liberal blue-staters in the US threaten to move to? Canada's been veering further to the right the last couple of election cycles, and I can't imagine that Canada under a Tory Majority would have the same allure.

Actually if this happened I would just move to England sooner than planned. And I mean this seriously, as I have an internship in the works there.

The thing is, Obama has made no change in anything! Put that and all the other negative things in about him, and he's not a good choice.

Perhaps a comparison of the candidates websites might be in order. There will be the information that shows Obama has been working hard for changes before he decided to run for president. Focusing on the negative is not always the best way to pick a side for anything, including the president. No one is perfect and everyone has flaws, for example the age difference and their views on education. To which the education platforms were my deciding factor in who to vote for, though they both have ups and downs for each platform.

Perhaps a comparison of the candidates websites might be in order. There will be the information that shows Obama has been working hard for changes before he decided to run for president. Focusing on the negative is not always the best way to pick a side for anything, including the president. No one is perfect and everyone has flaws, for example the age difference and their views on education. To which the education platforms were my deciding factor in who to vote for, though they both have ups and downs for each platform.

I did post web-sites about each candidate and their accomplishments look above:thumbsup:

I did post web-sites about each candidate and their accomplishments look above:thumbsup:

I was referencing to the second quote in my post with the statement about comparing the websites. That quote seems to be missing from your quote. Upon further looking it seems that some cutting of what I originally posted took place.

Last edited:
In other news, Canada's going to the polls on Oct 14. Looks like Stephen Harper's Conservative Party will probably get a majority this time.

Although we have different opinions on the issues, I really do wish U.S. news would spend a little time talking about Canadian issues because we insular Americans (as opposed to Canadians) have little knowledge of our closest neighbors. We only learn about Mexican politics when it affects our jobs or drug policy. Because Canada is an ally, we ignore you. So how about all that oil in Alberta? Maybe, once the technology to recover it is there, we will show more interest! We all know the oil companies (everywhere) are not going to go (gently?) into that (dark?) night. See, we don't even know Welsh writers that well! (FYI, my fellow citizens, Dylan Thomas is from Wales, part of the UK)

That would be interesting and we do love our neighbors to the north , but I'm an avid newspaper reader and CNN viewer, and never hear anything about your politics:confused: and wolf I swear I have no idea what your response to mine meant:wtf: I thought you wanted to read the different political views of both candidates which is what I posted. sorry maybe make it clearer for me, cause' both of these candidates sites are on here, if you meant something else please explain;) and GOOGLE has mega info. about both ot them!

and wolf I swear I have no idea what your response to mine meant:wtf: I thought you wanted to read the different political views of both candidates which is what I posted. sorry maybe make it clearer for me, cause' both of these candidates sites are on here, if you meant something else please explain;) and GOOGLE has mega info. about both ot them!

You cut out parts of the post I made so it looked like I was saying something different to Max than what I really said.

This is what I originally had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPointy

Actually if this happened I would just move to England sooner than planned. And I mean this seriously, as I have an internship in the works there.

[quoteThe thing is, Obama has made no change in anything! Put that and all the other negative things in about him, and he's not a good choice.

And this is what you quoted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfesgamergirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPointy

There is a huge difference between the two, just wanted to point this out because it looks like you chopped it to say something else. I doubt you meant anything by it, but none the less I want to make sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back