Jump the Shark Discussion Thread

He could wake up, realize the past few seasons were a dream, and open up the bathroom door to see Adam in the shower. That would be a twist and a half. :lol:

And a total jump the shark moment, but dang would people be talking! :lol: :lol: :lol:

LOL!!! :lol: And so true, unfortunately. :rolleyes:

As for NY... For me, that whole pregnancy thing was not a Jump the shark moment... no, it came WAY earlier... the moment, Danny slept with that other woman and Lindsay played dramaqueen on losing her best friend etc. THAT was a true Jump the Shark moment... :shifty:

Yeah. The whole DannyLindsay thing in Season 4 was verging on "Jump the Shark." Lindsay's butthurt over having Danny push her away was just OUCH...The baby story and them getting back together, especially after she said she was stupid for getting involved with a coworker was just overkill.

I also have to say that it seems everyone at the NYPD Crime Lab is jumping into bed together, IMO, that's rather shark jumpy. I do know that yes, relationships between coworkers happen, even if they shouldn't, either just because they shouldn't or by official policy, but this is just a bit extreme.

As for Miami - the day they did a pilot. :lol: No, I am kidding... I am not watching...

Yeah, I tried to get into Miami, but I just couldn't. The storylines are just So Absurd that it's not funny.

As for LV... in fact, to me, they have been close but not entirely jumped the shark. But I have to admit, it's not my fave show, so I bear more that a die hard fan. I could stand GSR, the huge logical gaps in "For Grissom" and so on, so I am still on board.

Yeah, GSR wasn't a shining point, but I don't think it's a jump the shark moment, even the meeting in the jungle. Things were a bit annoying, but...not that unbearable.

I'm curious to see how they'll handle things after Grissom's exit. I'm hoping they'll keep good writing a part of the show.

CSI:NY jumped this week when they completely rewrote Danny's entire back story to fit in with a subplot that only lasted one episode.

I don't necessarily think any of the three CSIs has 'jumped the shark'. Yet anyway, but they've had some near misses IMO.

New York especially lately with the whole re-writing of Danny's background and of the course the whole baby thing. :rolleyes:

Honestly, IMO, there is no chemistry between D/L at all! Ugh, that really stinks of desperation (or possibly delusions of granduer :lol:). So if any of them have 'jumped the shark' or at least have a toe in the water, it's New York.

Miami has always been the sort of flashy, odd, and sometimes really weird, sibling of the three, and I've come to except that weird and strange things will happen on that show. They bend the rules more than either of the other CSIs.

Miami too, to me anyway, has always sort of represented the 'free wheeling' sibling also of the three. The one that pushes the boundries of your sanity and imagination. That one was definately meant to be pure entertainment more than anything, at least I think so.

So now they may not have 'jumped the shark', but as I said (and others have said) they've had some real near misses, especially lately on New York.

Hello and Goodmorning to all.

Well....I got hooked on LV because my boyfriend liked the show. Still his favorite and in Europe we haven´t reach any GSR moments that he took notice off. Then we adopted NY. Boyfriend a fan of Sinise so..... Still no reaction or wanting to leave the show when Mac dated Peyton. He is not a fan of Miami mainly bazookaman(Caine) and only watched because mondaynightfootball has ended and the girlfriend(that would be me) wants too. Still he didn´t leave the room during "Going balistic - hiphuggermoment". Focus of couplestalk(us) was Ron Saris.

BUT - BUT - BUT .....1. Scene from NY where Mac removes Peytons hand when Stella enters the room. I as the female viewer was WHAT!!!......Come on......Why put in drama in that. If writers want character have a life then let him have a life. If they are testing waters for a Stella/Macship. Then do some polls. Do not dramatise normal ordinary things as people falling love.
2. watched GSR in bed on internet. Allready know now that is a bit....let me refrase that....If that scene takes more then 1 -2 minutes of the show...then...Othervise they are a couple. They are in bed so what. The fans of the ship is in heaven. It doesn´t bother me and the crimesolving storyline was great. Especially comastoryline.

3. Wacth the promo for Miami "Flight Risk" and am very very worried.

So....balance between getting to know I am in favor and jumping the shark...
How many complained when Danny and Lindsey went to see Mac play in the club? Or Miami cast doing the morningroutine? Or Stella/beating boyfriend took place/developed in her sparetime? if that is jumping the shark....guys and gals...we are speaking from inside the great white. But the whole Ryan - Natalia - Eric thing on LV?
Hallo Jaws.
As someone stated it is indeed ones point of view. Personally - there is an episode of LV where you see the cast before work..much like Mac playing in the club. And if a GSR couple are in bed before going work. Then they are in bed. That´s getting know and not jumping the shark for me ...but the shows must evolve. And I will ask you guys and gals...for how long can the show stay the same? with no sharks? Do you see theese shows going on for another ten years?And/or what evolution is needed?

Last edited:
I'm more of a CSI/VEGAS fan, but have watched the tender moments between Danny and Lindsey and thought they were adorable, and they are different, but seem so in love, so that's my take, love is love, no matter what the circumstances, so I don't think they jumped the shark. I hope it works out for this couple!

Hi :)

I watched a show yesterday where the "experts" explained the term " Jumping the shark".

Criteries for going downhill were:

1. Famous guest apperances. (eg. any of the CSI shows and/or other shows)
2. Allmost impossible event. (Blow up the whole lab or appartmentbuilding eg Melrose place)
3. Characterreplacements. Ony by actor not changing of name nor character. ( Most soapoperas on a dayly basis:))

I do understand their arguments when storyline and storytelling in itself is not enough, when the show should consider something - something....But....

1. my original point. Can theese shows evolve or are there a natural end and runtime for theese shows?
2. Theese are just entertainment shows. And if we turn in to watch the crimesolving - well does either of 3 matter?

I would have to say yes, it matters, because, although we are tuning in to see the crime solving aspect of the show, we are also tuning in to see the characters and other story lines. So the crime solving may be great and up to par, but if they are doing outrageous jump the shark moments, devoted fans are bound to notice and take note.

I think that Jump the Shark moments are bound to happen whether it's blowing up buildings or other outlandish storylines. Since the CSI franchise has been around for almost ten years, and the procedural drama genre has been around for much longer, storylines are bound to border or overcome the line that separates drama and jumping the shark. Not to mention, there are some people out there who enjoy jump the shark story arcs, no matter how crazy they may sound. So once you take all of this into account, I believe that Jumping the Shark is a completely inevitable thing when speaking about shows with this longevity. JMO.

I would have to say yes, it matters, because, although we are tuning in to see the crime solving aspect of the show, we are also tuning in to see the characters and other story lines. So the crime solving may be great and up to par, but if they are doing outrageous jump the shark moments, devoted fans are bound to notice and take note.

I think that Jump the Shark moments are bound to happen whether it's blowing up buildings or other outlandish storylines. Since the CSI franchise has been around for almost ten years, and the procedural drama genre has been around for much longer, storylines are bound to border or overcome the line that separates drama and jumping the shark. Not to mention, there are some people out there who enjoy jump the shark story arcs, no matter how crazy they may sound. So once you take all of this into account, I believe that Jumping the Shark is a completely inevitable thing when speaking about shows with this longevity. JMO.

So if your were a fortuneteller....longevity and Jumping the shark.....

When do you foresee it happing ? And what fanbasereaction do you foresee?

Am I dumb, or does the question not completely make sense:wtf:?

If you are asking, when a Jump the Shark moment is bound to happen, who really knows. I'm just saying that with this show, particularly CSI:, it's been around for ten years, and stories are bound to sound familiar. You know similar deaths or circumstances. Devoted fans, like the ones on this board, really notice. So I believe that TPTB go out a limb (blowing buildings, etc.) to either attract viewers or to catch the watcher off guard in hopes of making the show more fun and action packed.

I personally dislike jump the shark moments because, for the most part, usually insults our intelligence. Things we know don't make sense come onto our TV's during almost every show. But hey, that's entertainment.

I'm no fortuneteller, so i wouldn't know what to say about when one will happen, but it's enevitable. Again just my opinion.:)

Left the room because I was not making sense in the first place.:(

But have return to get something off my chest. So here goes:

In light of resent events I would say: CSI Miami jumped the shark last season.

1. Famous guest apperances. (eg. any of the CSI shows and/or other shows)

Hyping P. Diddy. Ok for me he was on the show. Have no hard feelings there. But in the hyping: was the episode watchable b/c he was there or the storyline was good? As to our previous discussion. Famous guststars should be a surprise and not the focus of the show.

2. Allmost impossible event. (Blow up the whole lab or appartmentbuilding eg Melrose place)

Well hyping of the "kiss" and then ignoring the stoyline. Eric allmost being deported and getting shot again - being close to death again. Go figure they even consider flatlining him.:rolleyes:

3. Characterreplacements. Ony by actor not changing of name nor character. ( Most soapoperas on a dayly basis:))

Jesse for Eric:confused:. As written on Wikip. Jesse is the replacement for Eric as to the ensamble set - up. Personal fav. casting note:Hot body. which has spawn the name Hotbod for Jesse. :lol:.

I have learned one thing from posting which is.....This is my opinion. IMO. :)

Miami jumped the shark halfway through Season 6 with the "Guerillas in the Mist" episode.

That's the one with the Super Gun which fired 200 bullets at a time and Horatio's Hummer blue up and he got out without a scratch.

I said then I'd never watch another Miami episode and I haven't.

Miami jumped the shark halfway through Season 6 with the "Guerillas in the Mist" episode.

That's the one with the Super Gun which fired 200 bullets at a time and Horatio's Hummer blue up and he got out without a scratch.

I said then I'd never watch another Miami episode and I haven't.

:guffaw::guffaw:. I had forgotten that one.....back then thought it was just the style of the show....I remember we(posters) once in a tread debated the "style" of the three shows. Miami being the superhero cartoonic one....In the metioned case absolutly true....:guffaw::guffaw:

I also have to say that it seems everyone at the NYPD Crime Lab is jumping into bed together, IMO, that's rather shark jumpy. I do know that yes, relationships between coworkers happen, even if they shouldn't, either just because they shouldn't or by official policy, but this is just a bit extreme.

Well thank God I'm not the only one who's noticed this.

And it wasn't just "Guerillas in the Mist" during Miami's S6. IMO it started well before that, in "Rio." Seems like between S1 and S4, Yelina went from top-notch, kick-butt detective to co-dependent girlfriend, screwed over by the men in her life. And then when she and Raymond escape to Brazil, they live in this huge hilltop house with a pool and lots of furniture. She has nice clothes and a French manicure. And she "really isn't sure" whether Raymond's in the drug trade or not? I'm pretty sure he's not making that kind of money picking coconuts.

In the early years, Miami was a good, classy forensics show, but somewhere between Rio and S6 it changed to The Super-H Show. Hubby and I laughed ourselves sick in "Resurrection" when a guy in lockup, orange jumpsuit and all, still had his own cell phone! Don't you know some booking clerk should've lost his job over that!

And why did they need to bring in P-Diddy, anyway? Wasn't Calleigh's dad a good attorney, albeit with an alcohol problem? I recall at least two epis in which he used his legal expertise.

I actually liked this first epi of S8. If they're truly bringing back Miami the way it used to be, I'm on board. I didn't watch much of S6 or S7. Waaaaaaay too hokey for my stomach.

I'm willing to give Eddie Cibrian a chance. I understand that actors move on or can't renegotiate their contracts. But one thing the Miami writers didn't seem to get was that so many storylines just "disappeared"--Madison and the myeloma, the subpoena in New York, Tyler in the A/V lab, etc. And while I'm on a roll, a lot of people liked Dan Cooper. Where the heck did they get that hokey storyline for Ambush/All In? While I realize Brendan Fehr had to leave the show in a hurry, couldn't they have just had Dan Cooper move to another city or something?

Last edited:
Definitely sabbotagging (sp?) my fav character on CSI NY Stella and making her sleep with someone she has been a motherly figure than a possible lover.

The thing Stella/Adam is so incredible unbeliavable i don't know how they didn't erase the idea and sent the paper to the trash!

I know we have debated this before but:

Is time up for one of the CSI shows? When main characters leave and they have a hard time getting back to "basics" .
And many storylines can you make of murder without some of them feeling reused. On one CSI they even reused an actor.
And I was thinking whether or not the everchange writers might be a disadvantage when show have been on air for so long. Should shows have fresh eyes on murdermystery and old eyes as to characters? Would that prevent jumping the shark?

Back