The Rest In Peace & Remembrance Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read about Tim Russert today. That's really sad. He was a legend and a great commentator.

RIP

and RIP to all those we have lost recently

Sportscaster Charlie Jones, 77, dies of heart attack
June 13, 2008 - 9:24 PM (EDT)
By BERNIE WILSON, AP Sports Writer

SAN DIEGO (AP)—Charlie Jones, the deep-voiced sportscaster whose career as a play-by-play announcer dated to the beginning of the American Football League in 1960, has died. He was 77.

Jones died of a massive heart attack Thursday at his home in the La Jolla district of San Diego, said his wife, Ann.

Jones, who retired in the late 1990s, had been in poor health for several years, she said.

Jones worked for ABC and NBC in a career spanning 38 years.

Full story at Yahoo sports news.

I was stunned and in disbelief on Tim Russert, a kind, sweet, gentle wonderful commentator, the best, 58, lord what the hell happend, way to young, they had a panel on Larry King, and I was too sad to watch, god bess him, and I know he'll be with the angles:thumbsup:

Jazz pianist Esbjorn Svensson dead at 44
Jun 16, 11:54 AM (ET)
By MALIN RISING

STOCKHOLM, Sweden (AP) - Swedish jazz pianist Esbjorn Svensson, whose fusion of lyrical melodies and rock-inspired electronics broke fresh ground in modern jazz, has died in a diving accident, his manager said Monday. He was 44.

Svensson died Saturday in a diving accident off a small island near Stockholm, said Burkhard Hopper, manager of the musician's band, the Esbjorn Svensson Trio. Police will conduct a routine investigation of the accident, he said.

Svensson and his band won worldwide critical acclaim and several awards for their 2002 album "Strange Place for Snow," including the Guinness Jazz in Europe Award.

Special-effects maestro Stan Winston dies at 62
Jun 16, 9:15 PM (ET)
By DERRIK J. LANG

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Stan Winston, the Oscar-winning special-effects maestro responsible for bringing the dinosaurs of "Jurassic Park" and other iconic movie creatures to life, has died. He was 62.

Winston died at his home in Malibu surrounded by family on Sunday evening after a seven-year struggle with multiple myeloma, according to a representative from Stan Winston Studio.

Working with such directors as Steven Spielberg, James Cameron and Tim Burton in a career spanning four decades, Winston created some of the most memorable visual effects in cinematic history. He helped bring the dinosaurs from "Jurassic Park," the extraterrestrials from "Aliens, the robots from "Terminator" and even "Edward Scissorhands" to the big screen, and was a pioneer in merging real-world effects with computer imaging.

NHRA driver Kalitta killed in horrific crash
Jun 22, 4:15 AM (ET)

ENGLISHTOWN, N.J. (AP) - Scott Kalitta died Saturday when his Funny Car burst into flames and crashed at the end of the track during the final round of qualifying for the Lucas Oil NHRA SuperNationals at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park.

The NHRA said the 46-year-old Kalitta - the 1994 and 1995 Top Fuel season champion who had 18 career victories, 17 in Top Fuel and one in Funny Car - was taken to the Old Bridge division of Raritan Bay Medical Center, where he died a short time later.

Kalitta's Toyota Solara was traveling at about 300 mph when it burst into flames.

George Carlin dead at 71

LOS ANGELES - Comedian George Carlin, a counter-culture hero famed for his routines about drugs and dirty words, died of heart failure at a Los Angeles-area hospital on Sunday, a spokesman said. He was 71.

Carlin, who had a history of heart and drug-dependency problems, died at Saint John’s Health Center in Santa Monica about 6 p.m. PDT after being admitted earlier in the afternoon for chest pains, spokesman Jeff Abraham told Reuters.

I just saw this on CNN, I couldn't believe it. I love his comedy I own quite a few of his CDs and books and got a lot more of them from my library. This is truly a sad day. He was so funny I've found that with him any possible topic was made into pure comedy.

RIP George.

:eek:

That's so unfortunate. I enjoyed a lot of his routines as well. It's quite a shock to hear of his death. :(

I just saw this on one of the newspapers on line :( Oh so very sad. George Carlin was brilliant with his comedy. I loved it :) Oh the Seven Dirty Words you can't say on TV :lol: You still can't say them on TV but he tired. I could never try listening to his comedy.

George will be sorrowfully missed :( RIP George :( and keep them laughing upstairs :)

RIP, George :( I had the pleasure of seeing him live several years ago, and he was fantastic. I loved his humor, his comedy routines and wittisms were truly classic. I'm so saddened by his death!

Wilbur Hardee, Founder of Hardee's, Dies at 89
Entrepreneur opened the first Hardee's on September 3, 1960

ST. LOUIS, June 23 /PRNewswire/ -- Wilbur Hardee, 89, founder of Hardee's® restaurants, passed away on Friday, June 20, 2008.

Wilbur Hardee was born on August 15, 1917 in the rural community of Martin County, North Carolina, but his desire for adventure led him away from his family's farm. Those adventures often included hitchhiking trips with close friend Bill Edwards as far south as Miami, Florida and New Orleans, Louisiana and as far north as Washington, DC.

Hardee remained a restaurant mainstay in North Carolina, even without his signature restaurant. Between 1949 and 1991, he began 85 different restaurants throughout the Southeast.

Although Hardee had not been affiliated with the company that bore his name for many years, he was invited to participate in the 40th anniversary celebration of the franchise by CKE in 2000, where he met a kindred spirit, the late Carl Karcher, founder of CKE's other quick-service restaurant chain, Carl's Jr.

I wasn't really that stunned by this, when a while back he talked about his 3 heart attacks on Jay Leno, and said at the time, "one of these days, this guy is going to die of a heart attack":( We saw him in Vegas years ago, and didn't stop laughing for 90 minutes, brilliant mind, and one of the funniest men ever on the planet:guffaw:may he RIP!

Why do they put Braille on drive through ATM machines?

How do they get the deer to cross at the yellow road sign?

One thing about egotists, they don't talk about other people

Whose cruel idea was it for the word *LiSp* to have an *S* in it?

A complete list of his comedy one liners can be found on GOOGLE!

There's a tribute to him on CNN Larry King Live tonight 6-9 and 12, with Jerry Seinfield , and other comedians paying him tribute!

Last edited:
'Sesame Street' designer, Kermit Love, dies at 91

POUGHKEEPSIE, New York (AP) -- Kermit Love, the costume designer who helped puppeteer Jim Henson create Big Bird and other "Sesame Street" characters, has died. He was 91.

Costume designer Kermit Love helped puppeteer Jim Henson create characters on "Sesame Street."

Love died from congestive heart failure Saturday in Poughkeepsie, near his home in Stanfordville, Love's longtime partner, Christopher Lyall, told The New York Times.

In addition to his work with Henson, Love was a designer for some of ballet's most prominent choreographers, including Twyla Tharp, Agnes de Mille, Jerome Robbins and George Balanchine.

Love also designed costumes and puppets for film and advertising, including the Snuggle bear from the fabric softener commercials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back