The Rest In Peace & Remembrance Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Sidney Pollack, I was stunned, he was so great in all he did, I remember the scene in "Tootsie" with Dustin Hoffman on the "tomato" he goes "NO body wants to hire you" and Dustin says "why"?, he goes "You couldn't even play a tomato" they asked you to sit down and you wouldn't" he goes "it wasn't logical" Pollack goes "you were a tomato, they don't have logic":lol:and "Out Of Africa" so poignant, & romantic. There was nothing he couldn't do in the show-biz world, may he RIP, he'll be sorely missed:(

Last edited:
Earle Hagen, `Andy Griffith' composer, dies at 88
May 28, 8:00 AM (ET)
By ROBERT JABLON

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Earle H. Hagen, who co-wrote the jazz classic "Harlem Nocturne" and composed memorable themes for "The Andy Griffith Show,""I Spy,""The Mod Squad" and other TV shows, has died. He was 88.

Hagen, who is heard whistling the folksy tune for "The Andy Griffith Show," died Monday night at his home in Rancho Mirage, his wife, Laura, said Tuesday. He had been in ill health for several months.

-=-=-=-=-

Harvey Korman dies 4 months after aneurysm
May 29, 9:07 PM (ET)
By BOB THOMAS

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Harvey Korman, the tall, versatile comedian who won four Emmys for his outrageously funny contributions to "The Carol Burnett Show" and played a conniving politician to hilarious effect in "Blazing Saddles," died Thursday. He was 81.

Korman died at UCLA Medical Center after suffering complications from the rupture of an abdominal aortic aneurysm four months ago, his family said. He had undergone several major operations.

-=-=-=-=-

"Star Trek" theme composer Alexander Courage dies
May 29, 7:14 PM (ET)
By ROBERT JABLON

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Alexander "Sandy" Courage, an Emmy-winning and Academy Award-nominated arranger, orchestrator and composer who created the otherworldly theme for the classic "Star Trek" TV show, has died. He was 88.

Courage died May 15 at the Sunrise assisted-living facility in Pacific Palisades, his stepdaughter Renata Pompelli of Los Angeles, said Thursday. He had been in poor health for three years.

Over a decades-long career, Courage collaborated on dozens of movies and orchestrated some of the greatest musicals of the 1950s and 1960s, including "My Fair Lady,""Hello, Dolly!""Seven Brides for Seven Brothers,""Gigi,""Porgy and Bess" and "Fiddler on the Roof."

But his most famous work is undoubtedly the "Star Trek" theme, which he composed, arranged and conducted in a week in 1965.

Last edited:
I loved Harvy Korman, what a loss, he also was a riot, on "The Carol Burnett Show" & in "Blazing Saddles" OMG hiliarious, "Heady" "It's Headly" Headly Lamarr, a laugh a minute, I'll bet Carol is grieving, & his co-hort Tim Conway they were so funny together! geez, three in a row, big names, Dick Martin, Sidney Pollack and now Harvey, may he RIP:(

Last edited:
My sister-in-law used to work at a "dude ranch" in Colorado, and Harvey Korman stayed there once. She got her picture taken with him and asked him to do his "Great Gazoo" voice (from the Flintstones) in the picture for my brother! :lol: Of course, you can't HEAR him in the picture, but just doing the voice made a funny face. :) He was a really nice guy, she said.

Wow Harvey Korman :( He was brilliant on the Carol Burnett show. I loved it with him and Tim Conway :guffaw: He was fantastic in Blazing Saddles. May watch it this weekend as a tribute to him. He will be sorrowfully missed :( R.I.P. Harvey and keep them laughing up in heaven.

He had us laughing here a couple of years ago or so. Harvey and Tim were in concert and I was in the very back row. If there was a time when the abbreviation "LMAO" was suitable, this was it.

Another sad day for Trekkies...

'Star Trek' director Joseph Pevney dies at 96
May 30, 6:17 AM (ET)

PALM DESERT, Calif. (AP) - Joseph Pevney, who directed some of the best-loved episodes of the original "Star Trek" television series, has died. He was 96.

Pevney died May 18 at his home in Palm Desert, said his wife, Margo.
Pevney directed 14 episodes of the 1960s series, including "The City on the Edge of Forever," in which Capt. Kirk and Spock travel back in time to the Depression, and "The Trouble With Tribbles," in which the starship Enterprise is infested with cute, furry creatures.

Last edited:
Legendary designer Yves Saint Laurent dies at 71
Jun 1, 8:44 PM (ET)
By ELAINE GANLEY

PARIS (AP) - Legendary designer Yves Saint Laurent, who reworked the rules of fashion by putting women into elegant pantsuits that came to define how modern women dressed, died Sunday evening, a longtime friend and associate said. He was 71.

Pierre Berge, Saint Laurent's business partner for four decades, said he had died at his Paris home following a long illness.

A towering figure of 20th century fashion, Saint Laurent was widely considered the last of a generation that included Christian Dior and Coco Chanel and made Paris the fashion capital of the world, with the Rive Gauche, or Left Bank, as its elegant headquarters.

Full story at Iwon/AP News

Rock pioneer Bo Diddley dies at age 79
Jun 2, 12:37 PM (ET)

By RON WORD
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) - Bo Diddley, a founding father of rock 'n' roll whose distinctive "shave and a haircut, two bits" rhythm and innovative guitar effects inspired legions of other musicians, died Monday after months of ill health. He was 79.

Diddley died of heart failure at his home in Archer, Fla., spokeswoman Susan Clary said. He had suffered a heart attack in August, three months after suffering a stroke while touring in Iowa. Doctors said the stroke affected his ability to speak, and he had returned to Florida to continue rehabilitation.

Lord have mercy, another one, celebrities are dropping like flies, WHO DO YOU LOVE great rhythm & blues classic, "The Stones" loved his music and he played with them! he's been around ever since I can remember, god bless and may he RIP:(

Animal Planet's Meerkat Star Dead
A furry star of Animal Planet's Meerkat Manor: The Next Generation is dead, the network confirms, following a hit-and-run accident April 28. (Insert collective "Awww!")

Per the L.A. Times, network spokeswoman Tahli Kouperstein said that the six-inch meerkat was struck by an oncoming vehicle while crossing a road in the Kalahari Desert. The little guy's unique markings allowed him to be identified, although the vehicle and driver in question are still unknown.

Hazards in nature are to be expected, but a hit-and-run is reportedly too much for some fans to take. While tributes are appearing on YouTube, Animal Planet said it will not yet air its own tribute, so as to avoid spilling the beans to unknowing viewers. — Anna Dimond

Veteran sportscaster Jim McKay dies at 87
Jun 7, 1:21 PM (ET)
By DAVID BAUDER

NEW YORK (AP) - Jim McKay, the venerable and eloquent sportscaster thrust into the role of telling Americans about the tragedy at the 1972 Munich Olympics, has died. He was 87.

McKay died Saturday of natural causes at his farm in Monkton, Md. The broadcaster who considered horse racing his favorite sport died only hours before Big Brown attempted to win a Triple Crown at the Belmont Stakes.

He was host of ABC's influential "Wide World of Sports" for more than 40 years, starting in 1961. The weekend series introduced viewers to all manner of strange, compelling and far-flung sports events. The show provided an international reach long before exotic backdrops became a staple of sports television.

Meet the Press' Tim Russert Dead at 58
TVGuide

Tim Russert on Friday died of a heart attack, after collapsing at NBC's Washington bureau earlier in the day. He was 58.

Russert, NBC News' senior vice president and Washington bureau chief, among his other accomplishments at one time anchored NBC Evening News and had moderated Meet the Press since December 8, 1991. Meet the Press stands as the longest-running program on network television, having made its NBC debut on November 6, 1947.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back