Grade 'Sleight Out of Hand'

xfcanadian said:
I find this season very entertaining, and I don't care if some of the quality goes if it is enjoyable. Even though season 1 was more serious, and gritty, the ratings were not as good as now, and it wasn't as enjoyable.

Are you honestly saying that quality doesn't matter so long as the show is entertaining and if so does that rule only apply to television? Furthermore, are you suggesting that quality and entertainment are mutually exclusive ideals? The ratings difference between first season and this season is not some large increase, a few million people here and there do not a network make. However, I must say if you after low quality television then this was certainly it.

Do you hear that writers, it isn't quality but it is a sophomoric romance, good job boys, you've sacrificed quality to a demographic - kudos!

Forget Flack and Danny...the scene between Flack and Hawkes in the magic shop was one of the FUNNIEST scenes on any CSI ever! :lol:

I'll admit it I'm a huge girlie girl so any romance in the show I just love. But I really think that this episode wasn't bad. We have had worst D/L moments. I loved Season 1 to I thoguth it was a great season and very NY, but they ratings weren't good and the show was on the verge of being cancelled now they have lighten the show put a couple of romances into the show dealt with characters personal lives more and more and hte ratings are up. So anyone who hates the way the show is being written this year I wouldn't hold your breathe for a change. And look on the bright side, if Danny and Lindsay are dating that could mean more shot of Carmine shirtless, and well who doesn't love that.

You can call me an easy grader. Im not too critical and i rarely pick apart episodes, but I can honestly say that I did not like this one.

First,it didnt feel like CSI show, a show that is supposed to be a *CRIME DRAMA*. A little romance I can tolerate and I am not a Lindsey hater by any means, but someone should show me where the D/L chemistry is because I do not see it (how awkward was that almost kiss?, Was I the only one who felt uneasy?). I felt that the case took a backseat to D/L. The whole Danny seeing mirages of Lindsey was pretty stupid (yes, even if he was deprived of sleep), and his drive to Montana(if I'm not mistaken) seemeed out of place. I can only take D/L in small doses but in this episode it was poured down my throat.

TONS of Flack. I liked the Hawkes/Flack/Mac interaction (the dead fly thing and the DNA/RNA). I liked the case and Criss Angell. Again, not Lindsey hater, her scenes in the courtroom were okay.
Overall I give it a B-

Setting aside the spew-inducing conclusion, which, please God, don't make me discuss it, tonight's CSI:NY was fantastic.

A few highlights:

-Flack. All right, you knew I was going to say this because I'm a Flack fangirl, but it's true. He was firing on all cylinders tonight. The magic shop scenes were outstanding, and I would like to preserve the conversation between him and Hawkes for posterity. To wit:

F: What d'you think Houdini would make of his contribution to the mob vocabulary?

H: Excuse me?

F: You know, whenever the mob whacks a guy they say they Houdini-ed him.

H: I can't believe we're having this conversation.

F: You'd rather talk about the differences between DNA and RNA? 'Cause I'm sure that's a much more scintillating conversation.

H: I would if I thought you knew the difference.

Comedy gold, made all the better by Flack's look of smug triumph when the shop owner admonished them not to Houdini the magic set. I'm not sure why Hawkes felt the need to put on his Intellectual Superiority Pants, however, and quite frankly, it was unbecoming.

The more I see of Flack, the more convinced I am that he is a fundamentally decent man with a deep and abiding respect for women. He was disgusted by Laniard and his three arrests for stalking and very quick to take the side of the woman. Granted, some of his pique on her behalf can be attributed to the fact that's she's dead, but I also suspect that Flack is rather chivalrous, and the idea of a man forcing his unwanted attentions on a woman is morally repugnant to him.

Yet more proof that he would make a fabulous mate.

-Criss Angel: I went into this expecting him to be more wooden than Nelly Furtado and Sascha Cohen. Boy, was I wrong. Mr. Angel blew me away as Lukas Blaze, and you know what? While I couldn't countenance the murder of his employees, I absolutely couldn't blame him for his rage towards his adoptive mother. I can't imagine what it must be like to be sent away by the woman you thought was your mother, as if you were an unwanted puppy and not a confused child. His "mother" disgusted me, and I was disappointed when Mac thwarted her demise. To be fair to Mac, I think he was sympathetic to Blaze as well.

-Lindsay Monroe: For once, Lindsay didn't suck the life out of every scene, and her emotional court testimony was believable(well, except for the hokey, protracted gaze-lock when Danny made the scene.). Good Lord. I can only surmise that TPTB finally sat Anna down and told her what they expected. Either that, or the fetus was standing on her pancreas.

I refuse to discuss the smoldering, soap-opera slag heap of cliche that was the last five minutes. I fully expected a cut to a secluded beach and a shot of them running into each other's arms while "Chariots of Fire" tweeted sweetly in the background.

Overall, though, it was an incredible episode, and they've signed me up for the remainder of the season.

Flack and Hawkes, Flack and Hawkes, Flack and Hawkes...

Maybe if I keep chanting it, I'll think only of that scene. I swear, it makes me happy. I hate to think that my enjoyment of certain parts of this episode could be compromised by the utter sh** that made up the other parts of it.

Danny, please locate your manbits and re-attach them. You're ruining things for everyone else.

*baby talk* Who's a good wittle drugged-out puppy dog? Who is it? That's right, yesh you aaaare!...I'm clinging to fandom!Danny right now. Really.

ETA:
they ratings weren't good and the show was on the verge of being cancelled
Um, I don't think so. It wasn't as popular as the other CSIs, but I wouldn't say that it almost got cancelled.

And even if the writers aren't going to change anything, and even if the sh** they include brings in new viewers--that doesn't mean that I'm not going to mourn the loss of CSI:NY as it once was.

LaGuera--Please, darling, help me enjoy Flack and not think of the D/L fiasco anymore. Please.

I knew there'd be mixed reaction on the D/L stuff. Although I'm getting to where I prefer things more subtle in my ships, I also love my shippy scenes as much as the next shipper. I guess it's a balance...and probably why keeping things subtle works better in general. Can see the arguments about not everyone shipping the same way and the character stuff overpowering the cases...and that's why even my feelings are kinda mixed. I do enjoy shippy scenes but also don't want the cases and science overpowered. But I do disagree about it being terrible, I didn't find it all that bad really. Part of me did want to squee about it a little lol

Why doesn't Stella want to go ahead and tell the rest of the team what happened? Not wanting them pitying her and feeling sorry for her? Fear of the stigma? Or both perhaps? I'd want them there for the moral and emotional support but I guess I can also see why she'd want to wait and perhaps only tell if something actually happens.

What was Danny's line when he went through the mail? "no" something but I couldn't hear the rest.

Loved the Danny and Mac scene..."how many jobs let you set your boss on fire? going once, going twice..." "okay but if you go up in flames, I get your office" LOL my mom also laughed. I loved Flack as well...loved his expression during his magic shop visit.

I thought we got some subtle smacked with the handing her the rose...thought that was kinda cute :)

I think I'll go with a b- overall.

Best episode of the season!! The ending totally made my whole day. When Danny came through those court room doors I was like YES!!

At the end when Lindsey pulled Danny in to kiss him I was about ready to jump out of my seat and do a jig!! :D

As for the storyline I give it a A++++ I'm not a fan of Cris but he does make for a good bad guy. But is it just me or did he also guest star on CSI?? :confused:

(just one extra comment, so I don't get chatty.) I'm not sure if he played Zephyr or not in Abra Cadaver. Anyone know? I do wonder now if Miami will follow suit with a magic one now that the other two have done it lol)

storynverse said:

First,it didnt feel like CSI show, a show that is supposed to be a *CRIME DRAMA*. A little romance I can tolerate and I am not a Lindsey hater by any means, but someone should show me where the D/L chemistry is because I do not see it (how awkward was that almost kiss?, Was I the only one who felt uneasy?). I felt that the case took a backseat to D/L. The whole Danny seeing mirages of Lindsey was pretty stupid (yes, even if he was deprived of sleep), and his drive to Montana(if I'm not mistaken) seemeed out of place. I can only take D/L in small doses but in this episode it was poured down my throat.

AMEN !!! storynverse
You are certainly not the only one that feel this whole thing awkward & uneasy...same as you, i am not an "lindsay hater" nor anti-D/L but i am feeling the same :mad:

JDonne , I must agree completely with you.

I must also agree with the others who said Flack/Hawkes saved the day. I am not a fan of Lindsay or Criss Angel so the rest of the show was a bore and a downer for sweeps month.

C+

I am not a D/L shipper, so that doesn't play into my opinion. However, I did not like CSI:NY very much until Lindsay came along. I thought Season 1 was as dreary and gray as the shady colors they purposely shot it with. I've really enjoyed the past two seasons, and this might be my favorite season yet. The cases have been better, especially the T-shirt killer, and there has been better continuity than in the past.
With all due respect, JDonne, we each have our own opinions, and it's not necessary to put down the feelings of those who like the way things are going. We are not stupid or lacking in judgment.

What I liked best about this episode:

- Danny being there for Lindsay in her moment of distress (cool)
- Dr. Hawkes (my adorable magic man) and Det Flack scene
- The lifting of the shoe prints and Mac's burning moment (curious)
- The scene with Luke and the mother that gave him away (emotional)
- Stella's curiosity (AIDS research)...I missed a couple of episodes
- I kinda like Sid

It was just a tad slow in the beginning, but everthing rolled out nicely -- just in a nick of time...grade A! ;)

goldnhart said:
I am not a D/L shipper, so that doesn't play into my opinion. However, I did not like CSI:NY very much until Lindsay came along. I thought Season 1 was as dreary and gray as the shady colors they purposely shot it with. I've really enjoyed the past two seasons, and this might be my favorite season yet. The cases have been better, especially the T-shirt killer, and there has been better continuity than in the past.
With all due respect, JDonne, we each have our own opinions, and it's not necessary to put down the feelings of those who like the way things are going. We are not stupid or lacking in judgment.

I believe with all due respect that I expressed my opinion and if you opt to take it personally then that is your choice, but do not place the blame for that decision back in my corner, especially not for your chosen understanding of my written words. Your intelligence and judgment are not mine to comment upon and I have not done so. You are correct in you right to assert pleasure and enjoyment in something I find heinous and poorly done.

Back