Stella/Melina #7 'Cause everything sounds better in Greek

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Ghawazee, Aug 3, 2009.

?

Choose New Stellarina Thread!

Poll closed Aug 10, 2009.
  1. Stella/Melina #7: 'Cause even Athene and Aphrodite worship her.

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  2. Stella/Melina #7: The perfect combination of brains, looks, and personality.

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  3. Stella/Melina #7: a goddess came down to earth !

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  4. Stella/Melina #7:Athene in her mortal form.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Stella/Melina #7: Zeus' gift to Hollywood.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Stella/Melina#7 'Cause she is the angel that enlighten our hearts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Stella/Melina #7 'Cause everything sounds better in Greek

11 vote(s)
    33.3%
  8. Stella/Melina #7: Because she´s the Greek Goddess of Crimonology

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  9. Stella/Melina #7Because she´s the heart and soul of the CSI-team

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  10. Stella/Melina#7 Because Lady Liberty speaks in Greek!

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
  11. Stella/Melina#7 Because she is the light and soul of NY Lab

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Stella/kelina#7 Because we all love Rambo Stella

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. Ballettmaus

Ballettmaus Hit and Run

Couldn't agree with you more ;)

You've got a point.
    However, I will continue to think that at one point her mother was married to her father :p Maybe he died. Could be likely.

I don't really care that much anymore ;)

I do believe that as well because I guess MK would be difficult to convince to come back under certain circumstances.
    However, if the ratings are bad enough they might try and be able to get her back for at least a couple of episodes. I don't think she'll be back permanently like Rodriguez on Miami though. I think if anything they'll get her back for the final episodes of CSI NY or something.

I don't think they start negotiating while still shooting, however, I do think that the negotiations have been going on for a while.
    Either way, with MK's contract up for renewal they should have considered her in the finale, giving her a possible exit and by not doing so CBS comes across very arrogant. Especially if they really wanted her to take a pay cut in whatever way or expected her to take back on things in her contract even if it wasn't pay.
    But they paid the price for that arrogance.

I can't be sure but I think they would have, in the end, been content with anything. The show moves to a new time slot, losing a popular character as Stella cannot be in the show's best interest. At all.
    I'm also not sure if they would have wanted her to sign for more than one season. After all, it is possible that the show gets cancelled and I'm not sure if that would cost CBS a great deal of money if the contracts go longer than that. I know that that's the case with musical productions. If a show gets cancelled before the contracts are up, the productions have to pay. In many cases the cast gets offered a job in a new musical with the same production so the production doesn't have to pay, however, that wouldn't be quite possible with actors.
    Besides, I think GS's contract is up after season 7, isn't it? So signing MK for more than one season while he's up might not be smart either.

Exactly.
    As far as her daughters are concerned they're rather reaching the age when they don't always want to be with her mother (and father) anymore. At least the older one. And usually when the older does something, often the younger one just needs to tag along. Of course, it all depends on the child.
    As far as your last sentence is concerned, I couldn't agree more. She was taking steps back instead of forward and it's very unsatisfying for any sort of artist if they can't develop and move forward.

Agreed. I still haven't figured out how it could have come about.

I know I watched that episode... I just don't have any memory of it :D

Yes, I know... kind of shocking though :p

She had secretly passed Mac in the chain of command just didn't tell him yet ;)

Well, the chose to be the opposite.
    But to me it was always like Mac was the boss and Stella was holding the team together.
    I don't know what they'll do on the show but I think it real life it would be very difficult for everyone concerned because it would be a huge adjustment because they sort of lost their secret leader. Mac might have given the orders but it always felt like Stella held all the rest of the power. Difficult to describe what I mean.
    Her absence, in real life, would definitely change the dynamics of everyone.

And if you want, feel free to PM so we can continue this discussion in private because I'm not sure if it belongs here anymore ;)

2. Andromeda

Andromeda Police Officer

Yes, it would be the most likely version that Stella´s Mum was married to a Mr. Bonasera and he is dead, too.

Well, me not that much, either :D.

I don´t know if MK would let herself convince to come back as the saviour of a dying show, though maybe you´re right and she´d agree to do a few episodes or the very last ones of the final season.

Whenever negotiations begin, it should be in any way early enough to be able to deal with every possible outcome, but CBS very likely were not prepared in the least for MK´s Goodbye, so you´re right to call it arrogance or it was also naivety.
    I still don´t believe the rumour of a pay cut that she didn´t want to accept. Such a rumour might make some less nice people call her greedy, but on the other hand, she had already had a pay cut, like all others, after the financial collapse, so why should she accept another one? It´s not her fault that NY went downhill on the rating front.

I agree; losing Stella´s character added to this season´s misery and was the least thing CBS could have wanted. So one should assume they tried a lot, maybe everything to make Melina stay, obviously to no avail.
    Good point. Maybe they only offer one-season contracts for now, as long as they don´t know how the show will develop, if it will improve its ratings or if they might have to pack it in after S7.
    I´m not firm with contract stuff, but maybe you´re right and they would have to pay the actors for the full contracts, even if the show would be cancelled.
    Dunno when GS´s contract will be up, but since he´s also one of the producers of the show, he might have a different contract anyway than the other actors.

:lol:, yeah, the girls surely don´t mind anymore if their vivid Mummy isn´t around 24/7. And also they´re at school at least half of the day, so there shouldn´t be any problems considering her daughters.
    Yes, it remains my main opinion that the real reason for MK to leave was that she is seeking artistic development which she surely couldn´t have found in CSI anymore. Maybe she should have left earlier, maybe she missed some quite good roles only because she was so faithful to NY. I mean, if I watch "The Good Wife", that´s a role I could imagine where Melina would have shone. With being 43 she is now of an age where there are still great offers possible- on TV at least, it might be more difficult on the big screen, considering Hollywood´s youth-and-Botox-mania. So maybe that´s why MK just didn´t want to waste another year with a show that was not giving her the best opportunities anymore.

It was never explained; we were sort of meant to think it happened as an aftermath of the shoot-out, a night of drinking and trying to forget or whatever daft.

It was, of course, "Criminal Justice"- silly me, how could I just forget the title when it was one of the few great episodes :D?

Well, not anymore; you know how it is, one can get used to anything :D.

Pity, and when he found out, he got rid of her and sent her to lead another CSI-office :lol:.

I fully agree; Stella was always the mother of the company, she calmed Mac when he was too strict with one of the others, she was the emotional counter part of Mac.
    Well, they could bring in the real life to be realistic and anything else than the team not still missing Stella and her special ways would be unrealistic. Mac would have been nothing without her, and he knew it. I agree, Stella had a lot of power, sometimes more than him, sometimes over him. Quite often when Mac saw nothing but his stereotyped way of solving a case or dealing with personal stuff, she had to talk him off, and he let her. And Stella had a great chemistry with everyone, and all this is missing now. How could they pretend that life just goes on in its normal course? But reading the latest spoiler..... :(.
    Thank you for your offer, I´ll take it as soon as I feel we´re off topic ;). But still we are very much on topic, I think; anyway we´re are talking about Stella/Melina, so we still can let the others participate in the discussion ;).

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  3. Ballettmaus

Ballettmaus Hit and Run

Only time will tell, I guess.

But then, there are a lot of things that should be and that aren't. And it makes me wonder how those people end up doing the job they're doing but also if people going into the job naturally turn out that way... it's somehow hard to believe that suddenly everything you've done and known before goes overboard.

Well, you should check out the article about Helgenberger leaving. I think it's quite interesting when considering rumors and circumstances.
    I don't think she's greedy. MK, that is. It is a huge amount of money she's getting, however, it's a matter of principle. It's got nothing to do with the amount. It's about her own worth and the way she's respected. There's a point when you have to draw a line because otherwise it's not good for you or your confidence. Especially in the artists business; one should never work for less than you are worth.
    If it was for pay cuts, I can only say that I have respect for her for walking away and risking being considered greedy. Because if she was offered less along with those crappy storylines, there was nothing else she should have done. I would have considered her greedy had she stayed under those circumstances.

I would think that the offers came to late. The ones which were meant to make her stay at all cost.

Well, like I said, my contract knowledge comes from the dancing world, so... However, I'm sure the network has to bring in a clause in case a show gets cancelled before the contracts are up. Because an actor doesn't take a job when on the show and might refuse an offer they would normally have taken had they not been on the show. So, the actors have to be sure to get their money somehow in case of cancellation.
    As far as GS is concerned, I wouldn't be surprised if he was forgoing a part of his salary and thus is listed as a producer.
    I read in connection with Titanic, way back, that Cameron didn't get paid for one of the jobs he was doing on the film. That way, they saved money, so I wouldn't be surprised if CBS or the networks in general did the same.

Well, there's homeschooling in the US, so... maybe they did that with their father. No clue. But still, they'd be occupied, I'm sure ;)

I guess it depends. Julia Roberts is still filming and so is Meryl Streep.
    I haven't seen MK in anything but NY but I liked her before I got involved with the show and she's shown a lot of facets on NY because her character had a lot of facets.
    If some of the so-called actresses can make it on the big screen so can she.
    If her contract wasn't up she couldn't have left earlier, I would presume. And I certainly wouldn't have wanted her to leave earlier :D
    As far as her reasons are concerned, I think it's both, the contract, what she was offered as well as the way her character was heading... or not heading for that matter. There very likely were other small things which, when seen as a whole, added up to her need to leave.

I know but if I do something like that I have to make it plausible so I actually can imagine what might have happened off-screen. I never could. Never will.

Well, I still don't know which one it was :p

Or not... some things I will never get used to or rather will always fuzz about.

:lol:

Yes and not only in those cases but she kept him grounded. Always pointed out the other side when he got upset over something; anything.

Sometimes? ;)
    But yes, he knows. I think we're all very aware of that famous discussion in the locker room.
    And it's what I have found upsetting, how the writers were ignoring that friendship because it was special and just a great asset to the show. I think the show would have lost a lot of its appeal without it because Mac is a character that needs to be challenged and Stella challenged. Otherwise he would have fallen off the cliff. He's okay, but he's quiet, he's all about action and reaction.

Well, I'm as disappointed as you are, however, I didn't really expect anything else. Not after how they dealt with Jess' death or how season 6 was written.
    I feel that with MK's leaving the entire show has changed, it's almost as if it's a new one now.

Well then... just wanted ot offer it :)

4. belle

belle Dead on Arrival

SPAM

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2010
  5. Andromeda

Andromeda Police Officer

Yes, but I think time is not on CSI:NY´s side :D.

Well, yes, and there are also always the "could have been´s" and "should have been´s" and "If only...", "What if..". I think people go into their jobs with the best intentions and then sometimes it ends in a mess if the circumstances change drastically.

I read that article, Helgenberger is doing the "slow exit" and they all had their pay cuts, and I agree that there has to be a limit of cuts which actors still can accept. Though I still don´t think that money was the reason or the only reason for MK to leave- especially now that Sela Ward came on board- I can´t believe they would have demanded from Melina to accept another pay cut, while shortly after that they get Sela who is very likely in the same payment league as Melina, or even higher.
    But nevertheless I agree that it´s not only about the amount, but about prestige, respect and artistic value. And MK is worth her money, it may be a lot for us, but we don´t see the hard work behind the scenes, endless days and nights of shooting, giving up a lot of her private life, putting a lot of emotions and physical efforts into the character she plays, etc.. So she can demand quite something in return for her work; and I don´t see the point why a pay cut should have been necessary in the opinion of the producers. OK, NY didn´t do well last season, but still finances should have recovered after the economic crisis.
    Now that´s lovely said that you´d rather consider MK greedy if she´d stay with crappy storylines and under bad circumstances :thumbsup:.

Yes, maybe it occured to them too late of what they were losing and when it did, it was too late. Melina is not a marionette to play with.

Sounds plausible, actors need a certain insurance in their contract that they get paid their full contract, no matter if the show gets cancelled before the contract ends, because after all a cancellation would make them unemployed for some time.
    Yeah, could be GS´s contract is set up like that and it´s true that sometimes producers or directors cut out their salaries to an extent if finances are critical, to ensure that a project can be continued.

Melina said in an interview that her daughters visit a Greek school, so they are out during the day, but as I said, things considering her girls were surely nothing that bothered Melina when she negotiated her contract ;).

Yeah, from time to time they still get some good jobs, but still I think that Melina will stand better chances to get a good new role on TV rather than in the movies, though of course, I´ll keep fingers crossed that she will eventually make it on the big screen; she´s a great actress, there´s no doubt about it.
    Before NY I only saw her in "15 Minutes" and I liked her acting; she didn´t have a lot of scenes, but those she had were great.
    Hm, I dunno if there are clauses that enable actors to leave under certain circumstances before a contract ends, but if so then Melina didn´t have such a clause- thank God for that :lol:. Maybe now she would have liked such a clause and was declined, who knows....
    I agree, maybe there were a few things that added to a whole and not just one reason why she left.

Me neither, it just didn´t make sense and it spoilt it all. Somehow this Adam/Stella scene was a bad omen for the season- a crappy beginning that ended even crappier :D.

Hm, it was around episode 6.15 or 16, I don´t know for sure, but it was very good and since there weren´t too many very good episodes you will remember which one I mean :D.

Well, NY´storylines can´t shock me anymore and I think there are worse things to have to get used to, so I can´t be bothered anymore :lol:.

Yes, she was like his counterpart, showing him different aspects of things.

OK, I was being humble on Stella´s behalf :D- so: not sometimes, but more or less always.
    Yes, that was a very special scene. And honestly, I´m not such a big fan of Mac, I really mostly like him in the context of the special friendship with Stella, that was wonderful, because she provoked human reactions in him when he was just his usual pragmatic and stoic self.
    Their closeness and understanding was the essence of the show, but apparently not anymore for the writers, there wasn´t much of it in S6.

Well, yes it was like hoping for the best, but expecting the worst, so that was that. And it´s true, the show will never be the same again without Melina, it will be a completely different show and atmosphere. Even if the new character Jo would be super-brilliant-great, I´d still miss Stella.

So thanks again, it´s very much appreciated :)

6. Ballettmaus

Ballettmaus Hit and Run

I so happen to agree ;)

Not sure but I think what CSI NY would need more than "new" faces would be new writers. Someone who's got a fresh point of view on things. Not going to happen, I know. But I think that would actually do more good than anything else.

I agree that pay cuts were probably not the only thing, I guess it just was the last straw adding up to the whole picture. Because, it's called negotiations for a reason, so if it had been a matter of pay, I'm sure they could have reached an agreement.
    I would like to believe that MK isn't doing the job for money but because she loves it, so it probably takes more than another pay cut for her to draw the line. After all, if it were for the money, she'd have taken it, since I doubt offers are lined up at her door steps. It's show business after all.
    However, as far as SW is concerned, I wonder. I don't doubt her acting ability yet if you agree to sign onto a potentially dying show... It does make her seem somewhat desperate to get a job. Chances are that show's not going to make it farther than season 7, when Helgenberger goes, who knows, they might decide to end the CSI's altogether because neither Miami nor NY have been doing well, NY the poorest, they moved to Friday's... it might be time for a change.
    Unless SW is so overly confident of herself and thinks she can bring the show back up though I doubt she thinks that.
    But SW is probably the more "comfortable" actress at the moment. She's new, she's most certainly not making the same demands as MK would have made about her charcater, pay and whatever else.

It's still a lot. Dancers aren't nearly paid as much... if they're touring they're going to the next city the night after the performance, arrive during the night, have the next show the next day, including stage rehearsals etc. So, yes, I agree, it's a hard job but it's still a lot of money and I'm not sure if it's in relation to the work. It's just that they have the advantage of TV and movie theatres and advertisement.
    Just saying.

Because CSI NY moved to a different time slot and I heard that with it, they have a lower budget. And you can't expect the heads of CBS to give up some of their salary, now can you? :p

It was nothing but the truth.

Nope. And Stella wasn't either, though I think she'd felt like that which I guess is just another part of the whole.

Since she's not retiring... It would have made sense in that case. But then, Hill Harper was the only one, as far as I know, who stated that.

I would like to see her in a movie, other than the one she played in last year.
    A movie I'd watch; something like Julia Roberts did in Erin Brockovich or the new one Roberts is doing, "Eat Pray Love". I think MK could do very well in that sort of movie.
    I think something like what Sandra Bullock played in "The Blind Side" would also be suitable for her.

Well, I would think there aren't many options for the actors to leave without having to pay for it. After all, if a show is going well you don't want your actors leaving because they get a better offer.

True. Season 6 was just a whole downward spiral.

I really gotta have to check...

7. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

Makes you wonder if SW will star in all the episodes since they only have to pay her for the ones that she is in I think.

And to all of this I say Amen.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  8. Axelsonfire

Axelsonfire Pathologist

GIRLS!!!! I know Melina leaving really, REALLY sucks but I have some news that may help ease the pain a tiny, tiny bit

[
    According to Ausiello, they aren't killing Stella! She's going to New Orleans to head a new lab there. She wanted to go there because of the oil spill and Katrina and such. It seems in character to me and even though Melina's not coming back to film it, I think she'd be okay with a sendoff like that. They aren't killing her off. There's a chance for her to come back...if the show isn't cancelled by then. Anyway, Stella's getting a decent ending and that's all I could ever ask for

I'm going to miss Melina with all my heart. This show is a part of me. She is a part of me. But knowing this news, I am able to deal with this. I may not watch after this comes about, but I'm happier knowing that Stella's getting the justice she deserves especially with all the crappy storylines that have been happening the past little while (EG PEYTON!). Stella is an amazing character and she deserves a good exit. I think what they are planning is good. And Mac better have a damn good genuine reaction to it....

9. Grissom rules

Grissom rules CSI Level Two

I'm so relieved with Stella's exit storyline.I really hope she returns in the future!!

10. Queenie

Queenie Witness

I'm missing Melina/Stella sooooo freaking much already! But I'm so reliefed after hearing news about Stella's exit. Of course I'm still sad and upset to see Stella/Melina go but this is great news. All I wanted was that they don't kill Stella off. And now Stella gets the exit that she deserves (of course she deserved much much more but I can live with this).

She's just going to be the hero somewhere else. :)

11. Ballettmaus

Ballettmaus Hit and Run

Relieved they didn't kill her but it's still the easy way out. I'm sure it wouldn't have been the first time such an opportunity presented itself but she didn't seem unhappy and in NY she's having the only family she has ever known. You don't leave that behind easily - but, of course, the writers wouldn't understand the impact of that because they didn't understand a lof of any impacts properly.
    Stella was attached to NY and attached to Mac especially but also the team. And suddenly she decides she wants to move to New Orleans a city with a completely different character and no one she knows? Makes sense. Totally :p

Though to be fair, at least they did think of an explanation and it's not entirely at random and certainly on the better end of solutions. But it's still weak.

(On a more humorous note: one of my first reactions was: now they can make CSI New Orleans :p Because there's tremendous need for another CSI show ;))

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  12. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

HAHA!!:lol: I thought the very same THING!!! And Mac leaves New York and heads to New Orleans turns into a ragin cajun and works for Stell!!!:thumbsup::lol:

13. Andromeda

Andromeda Police Officer

I couldn´t agree more. The cast of CSI NY is not the problem, it´s the stories. Some of the best episodes were those written by guest writers, because they are not constantly occupied with writing for NY, so they can view things from a different angle. Maybe it´s once more a budget issue, because freelance writers might be more expensive than NY´s regulars, I don´t know, but the show would desperately need some new creativity and inspiration.

I agree, if it had been just a matter of payment, I´m sure, MK and CBS would have found a way to meet each other in the middle so that both sides would have been happy with the agreement.
    Surely Melina wants to get paid in a range that she has established as a well known TV actress and she wouldn´t accept one pay cut after another, but I think her main view lies on the artistic aspect. If she´d get a low budget offer which has a great storyline then she´d accept it, like she did with "Into the Fire".
    I agree, if it had been for the money, she could have easily said "Sod it, for that bunch of bucks I can bear to play another season of crap" :D, but she chose to leave and take the risk of being unemployed for a while and get out of the public eye. But rather than that I think she deliberately wants to take some time off, and maybe there are already new offers for shows, who knows.
    Agree, one would think that Sela as an accomplished and award-winning actress could do better than accepting the role as new detective in a perhaps soon has-been-show. I haven´t been following her career, so I don´t know how she has been in this business recently- does she either consider it as a good chance to come back with a new (co)-leading role, or as a challenge to refresh the show? But like you said, for the producers she might for now be rather easy to handle, as the new character she won´t demand much in her first (and last? :D) season of NY.
    In any way, as I wrote somewhere else, maybe the time for the CSIs is just generally up and the format is worn out.

You mentioned dance before and your nick suggests it: So are you a dancer, even a professional?
    Yes, in a way it´s pretty unfair that artists like dancers or theatre actors who lead a very exhausting tour life are paid much less than TV and movie actors, even though I don´t doubt that filming is most of the time hard work, too, but with a rewarding payment.

Well, I´d expect the CBS heads to be a shining example and cut their salaries, too :p.

Now that´s true ;).

At least during S6 she must have felt like that most of the time.

Yes, and I feel it was a kind of evasive reply to a fan´s question; he wanted to answer without being too revealing.

Yes, please no more Lightning Thieves-crappy sequels :D, she can do much better if film studios just would let her.
    I agree, she´d be great in such films, very demanding and challenging roles, exactly what she´d need, but I can also imagine her in a great comedy and since she once said that she´d love to do comedy when CSI NY is finished, it could be realistic that she will do something like this in the near future.

Probably not, and Melina was happy enough with NY for a long time, but I wonder what would have been if her contract hadn´t ended with S6- given that she was unhappy with the storylines, would she still have continued with clenched teeth, or would she have tried to "buy" herself out of the contract?

And Melina was probably fed up to go on sliding with it.

Oh, and I forgot to check which episode exactly it was :rolleyes: :D.

There was now limit downwards and there is never any anywhere, anyway not for TPTB, that was the bitter truth to learn ;).

So true. Personally I´m glad they never made a couple of Mac and Stella as I feared it might spoil this wonderful chemistry and change it into something rather, well, ordinary, if you know what I mean. The way it was between them was always perfect and extraordinary- until S6, then the writers either lost the plot or the interest to keep projecting their friendship, with a few exceptions.
    I agree, making Mac more human without this heroic and often self-righteous aura, would make him more appealing. Only Stella could open him up from time to time and not only because of that I mostly liked her more, even though she was sometimes very stubborn, too, and didn´t accept other opinions if she felt she and her gut feeling was right. But this all happened on a different level; her weaknesses were her strenghts at the same time and made her just the more appealing and adorable. Yeah, true, they always seemed to have been more creative with Stella´s storylines and development, while Mac was always the same; he didn´t really change when Peyton entered his life, let alone when Aubrey turned up or Peyton returned- none of them could crack his shell. Stella meanwhile had a remarkable development from S1 to S5; it took some time for me to like her, in S1 she was still pretty much the tough cookie with a few exceptions, but with all that stuff that happened to her, especially the Frankie-stuff, she changed a lot. And in a way she summoned it up in that dialogue with her foster sister Mindy Sanchez in "Cold Reveal": she would have arrested her a few years ago, if she had to, but now she saw things in a different perspective and "Sometimes you don´t choose your hell, but are chosen by it". Stella´s life always had edges and twists, she was never the easy going girl, and that made her so fascinating.
    Unfortunately last season they seemed to have lost interest to develop her character even more or ran out of ideas.
    I absolutely agree, she wouldn´t have done this one night stand with a stranger.

Well, at least not literally, but that´s just a small comfort.

Well, it´s just the expected and predictable exit story and "noble" as it may be, the question remains why Stella suddenly would want to move to New Orleans and take the lead of the lab there.
    Like you said, Stella loved NY, loved her team, they were also her friends and only family, there would have to be a really, really plausible reason to explain all this, anyway more plausible than Katrina, and Stella, the sister of mercy hurrying over there to save the people from misery :lol:.
    But no need to worry, all answers to our questions will be revealed in CSI:NO :D.

PS: "Criminal Justice" was 6.12, right after "Second Chances" ;)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  14. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

And with the way things have been going there will not be an indepth explanation I'm sure!:rolleyes:

15. Ballettmaus

Ballettmaus Hit and Run

Exactly and they somehow have a different point of view on the characters, or at least respecting them in a different way and doing them better justice than someone like PV did all season 6 long. I also think that both CG and MK did a good job. MK had a little bit too much stuff in her episode, so it was all a bit cramed and CG had too little going on so everything was stretched (and that's also part of the directing which wasn't their fault) but the basics were good.

Do you think? I have no idea. I guess it depends on the name. Most of the writers I didn't know. Well... I didn't know any of them.
    But all of the CSI shows need inspiration, it's not just NY. NY desperately needs to get a grip on their characters and not play string-puppets with them.
    I guess, if we wanted to be very poetic we could say MK didn't want to be a puppet anymore and clipped her strings ;)

Whatever... can you tell - I'm not much of a TV person ;)
    However, I agree. I think she already was working on a pretty low budget and earning the fewest of the lead actresses of the CSI's, thus the fewest of the leads, since GS was earning more than her. I'm not sure about Procter. But in any case, I think, a pay cut was in no way justified.
    CBS might not have gotten though that it's not just about the money.

I certainly would hope so for her sake. At least, I hope she's getting something, too.
    If she invested her money wisely, she shouldn't have a problem. She doesn't seem to have the problem Helgenberger has. Of course, she wasn't recently divorced, however, she also doesn't seem to have a money problem in general.
    Pay cut and storyline going South... well... I also would think there were some other things which weren't quite right... I don't know, when she mentioned she asked Veasey if she liked her (because Stella was always put in danger) - even if MK was joking, it's still odd in a way because I guess to start joking about it you have to start thinking about it. And you don't start thinking about it without a reason.
    One thing is for sure - her exit did come as a very surprise and she hadn't decided to move on before negotiations started. The way they're going to write her out shows clearly that they whipped something up and weren't prepared for it. So, at least, that question is answered ;)

I would agree with that. Look at Vegas, that show's run out of ideas as well, now Helgenberger leaves... The show has been sort of a mess for me for the past season; it lacked structured, sort of like they didn't know where they were going. Same for NY.
    But how could you make a come back if you're on a show that declines in popularity? From the comments I heard SW didn't really appeal that much. Sure there were the ones who said they were going to watch now, however, if you look at the overall picture, it's more "won't watch without Stella" and "didn't like MK but won't watch with SW either". Not really good for the show.
    It would be very arrogant of her to think she could refresh the show with the popularity Stella had. I don't want to think she would think that.
    The weird thing is that CBS didn't "test her out". They didn't leak any rumors of MK leaving and SW being the replacement to see the internet reaction to it.
    Though I think that entire ordeal was meant to limit the damage done by MK's exit. Make MK's leave public one day and then announce SW the next day so people can't think too much about MK leaving. Too bad that it didn't work.

Dancer, choreographer, actor, take your pick, at least trying to be. Have had jobs without pay but finally decided not to do that anymore, thus why I have been talking about not selling yourself for less than you're worth.

Sure, because executives always take pay cuts when the budget is tight ;)

He wasn't as evasive as GS. Now you can't get any more evasive than his reply :p
    But I think Harper should have opted for something like that as well because no one's believing that anyway.

That bad? But Pierce Brosnan was in it :D Though he's getting old... ;)
    I didn't watch it but there were so many actors in it... I'm never a fan of that because I fear it gets too chaotic.

I so hope she gets the chance to do so because she would deserve it. Maybe we can open a petition on twitter: Sign MK on for a great big screen movie :D
    Or if not a movie than a show that has her as the lead. So, sort of her show.

Since she stuck around for all of season 6... I'm not sure actors have that much negotiation on existing contracts. Unless something major happens, as I said, I don't think they can get out that easily. Both network and actors need to have their reassurances.
    But the problem also is if you don't like it, things like getting up at the oddest hours and filming until late at night, all of that, is getting a lot harder and the smallest things are upsetting you. Thus your performance is suffering because you don't want to anymore.

Question is, did they learn?

Well, the problem in season 6 was that they didn't follow up what had happened in season 5. GFD was sort of a step to something more, at least, it deepened their bond but then in season 6 the focus was so incredibly on Mac and everything else was so forgotten... then suddenly there was Death House and Second Chances and The Formula and then there was Aubrey and it completely destroyed everything. Aubrey was suddenly replacing Stella, there were scenes with Aubrey which would, in other seasons, have been done with Stella, just for the sake of moving that love triangle forward. There was the problem, that love triangle which wasn't in any way natural. It was for the sake of a lot, Mac and Stella's friendship a part of it.
    It was what upset me the most in season 6. Not that Mac and Stella didn't finally get together after Second Chances but that their friendship was treated so poorely and was pushed into the background. Hell, they did such a great job in season 3 when Mac was dating Peyton. All of that was gone in season 6.
    And I fear it will be forgotten now as well and we Mac-Stella fans (whether it's their friendship or more) won't even get treated to phone calls or mentions of her or other's asking Mac about her.
    It's why I wanted her to get an off-screen relationship with Mac because then I would have known their friendship wouldn't have been forgotten, sort of. It's kind of silly but their bond was so special and the characters have grown on me because of that bond, so I don't want them to lose it.

Yes, and it was always okay when he was outraged for whatever and when Stella had her Diakos case, he yelled at her for it. He did the same thing. He didn't yell at himself for it ;)

Exactly. When she was wrong, it was human and she always managed to not be wrong in a way. When she argued about Adam vs the machines I could still see her point. While I, as I said, didn't see Mac's point with the horse.
    But she was thinking as a woman in that scene with Adam. And her stubbornness was also very natural. And never over the top.
    But that scene when Mac asked her about Ella and she told him we can't save them all or whatever and he said he needed to hear it from her - why on Earth did he go see her afterwards? That didn't make sense. Why did he ask her then if he was going to do what he wanted anyway? It's all those details which made him the less symapthetic character.

I didn't watch season 1 regularly. I don't really know with which season I started, I remember a few episodes I watched, then I watched some in France and some in Germany and it all was mixed up. So, I sort of got to know her character in season 3. I think.
    But I also think it's an actresses ability to own that character and to have it develop. It's not like she was given that many storylines which made her develop but Stella still became that very much respected person all the while remaining credible. Mk grew into that role and she made the most of what was given her. I don't want to say GS is a bad actor, however, I wonder if he's got as many facets as MK. I would say he doesn't which is what allowed MK to develop Stella into what Stella was and Mac never really changed.
    maybe it's also got to do with how open minded you are in general.

Yes, exactly. It's why it was sort of a blow into the face when MK suddenly left. Because you had gotten involved in Stella, she was sort of a like friend, could have been anyone, someone you knew, she was real, in a way. So, learning about MK leaving also destroyed that illusion.

Ran out of ideas? With a character with as much potential as Stella? If that's the case they need to change the profession ;)
    Was there anyone else they had interest in other than Mac? I mean, even the episode with Flack, episode 8, was more Mac than Flack.

Oh, don't get me started on that "noble" thing. They're such hypocrats. The only reason why they don't kill her is because they don't want to deal with the emotional impact and they've seen what happened to CSI Miami when Rodriguez left.
    And the reason why they didn't want a disappearance is because they didn't want to write a storyline that involves Mac (and the team) searching for her. That would've meant they had to mention her regularly and also deal with Mac's emotions and his determination to find her.
    Had she not been as popular they wouldn't have given a damn. They'd have killed anyone else, except Mac, without flinching, if it had been convenient.

I'm laughing over this. As if those who still suffer from Katrina would care who heads their crime lab. It's, if you think about it, very disrespectful for Stella because they put it as if she thinks it's going to matter if she goes down there. Which it doesn't. Those who still suffer from Katrina suffer because the government distributed the money wrongly. What could she do? Nothing.
    Same for the oil spill. She can't do anything for the fisherman who have lost their job and their salary... and I doubt that any of the fisherman care who heads their crime lab because it doesn't make the oil go away and doesn't make up for all the time it'll take for the gulf to get back on track.
    Stella isn't in politics, she's not in some environment group or the red cross or whatever. I don't think Stella would think she's making a difference down there and would leave because she's offered the job.
    It would have more sense, in that case, had they transferred her to Jersey because then she'd have at least been close to NY and to her "family".
    I think it would have needed a major argument with Mac which would have done irreparable damage to their friendship for her to want to leave NY... what they could have argued about though... I don't know. After all, he followed her to Greece after a huge fight, so...
    But this is just ridiculous. And doesn't make "a lot of sense" as they said but none at all.
    Though we all knew it was going to be difficult to write her out and I didn't really expect them to do it reasonably. I had hopes... tiny hopes... after all, hope springs eternal...

:D

Thank you ;)