The Student Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Dragonfly, Oct 20, 2008.

1. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

^ the ucas personal statement is the bane of so many people's lives! i avoided it completely - i didn't go to uni after school and when i did go to uni, i went to one for mature students so it bypasses ucas anyway - result :D

2. _Hush_

_Hush_ Winchester Inc.

So I just had my first week of uni (well, of this schoolyear that is). I've got a few really cool courses (Ancient Literature, German Linguistics (but that's thanks to an awesome professor)) and a few really boring ones (English Syntax and Semantics :wtf: we fled out of there as soon as we could :p).

Right now I'm preparing a few exercises due Tuesday for German Linguistics. Translation. Party. :rolleyes:

3. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

^ i do linguistics as well and there does seem to be an awful lot of dry technical theory. it's fair enough, i would expect it in any subject to an extent, but i'm looking forward to getting to the juicier stuff next year!

i finally found out i passed last year so i am starting uni again next week - i think i'll be doing my french language course, a linguistics general course and either a less general linguistics course or a french culture course. i know which i'd rather do but it may not be possible so i'll wait and see....

4. Vildis

Vildis Lab Technician

At the moment, I am just studying some random college courses. Like history and religion. Hopefully I will start to study nursing/medical care or social work in january.

5. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

i started back this week. omg it's going to be a tough year (but fun as well i think). my linguistics class is pretty straight forward really, nothing too major there, but the french classes - eek! i'm one level higher in terms of language learning than last year and the gap between the levels seems huge at the moment! the other class is taught in english (yay!) but it's a french literature course and we have to read/study the texts in french. i have to read "le mariage de figaro" (the entire 5 act play, plus the writer's preface) - in french - by next tuesday (!!!) and then i also have to read "les liaisons dangereuses" (in french) by the week after. this is really quite daunting, they're not short or simple works, i really hope i can do it!

6. allmaple

allmaple Judge

this is why i liked the ontario way to apply to universities. you log onto a website, pick the school and program you want your transcript sent to, and if your average is over their cutoff youre in! :lol: when i had to write an essay for my vet school application i think it took me about a month and 5 revisions to come up with something I was happy with!

7. 915

915 CSI Level One

Gee for me it was really easy I just had to apply to my college online, it kinda helped since it is my first year that my mom wanted to help me and make sure I did it right. I can only take general classes this first year, but I'm hoping I can start some of my major classes next year.

8. SpeedyMeg25

SpeedyMeg25 Coroner

All I did was fill out an application and send it to the college through the mail. Clean and simple. I just realized that I never did get an acceptance letter from them...but this is my second year there, so I guess I'm fine. :lol:

Pretty much just taking a little bit of everything: Accounting, History of Western Civilization, West Virginia History, Ethics, and Death & Dying. So not too bad of classes, just a lot of reading books and writing papers. I should graduate in the spring with a degree in Liberal Arts, and then I can work a little more in depth on my Accounting and Sociology.

9. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

I've made it 6 weeks into the semester and it feels like I'm swimming though jell-o. :\

A good chunk of the college population, myself included, have come to the conclusion that the professors have piled a lot on and they all want it done about the same day. And it doesn't help those of use who have to be in charge of clubs and try to fit meetings around oddly schedule lectures and labs.

I'm taking History and Structure of the English Language (not as ominous as it seems lol) Ceramics, 2-D Design, Biology, and Creative Writing. Mostly enjoying Ceramics and Creative Writing, oht eh freedom of the arts!

10. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

*is actually jealous*

11. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

It's quite fun, we do biweekly word blogs and find the entomology of words. Someone just did bumper and Ebenezer.