The Student Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Dragonfly, Oct 20, 2008.

1. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

I figured as much :lol: Looked at the date after :guffaw:

Glad you did well :D

2. _Hush_

_Hush_ Winchester Inc.

Alright, little help here.
    Synonymy. How the hell do you pronounce it? :D
    Synonymy, synonymy, synonymy or synonymy?

Thanks! ;)

3. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

synonymy

:)

4. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

:lol: I really had to think about this one, but I'd say the first one ;)

I wrote another exam today. Now, this was a required class for the program I'm in. There's a group of us in the program that have become good friends, and we always study for these classes together. This was the exam that we were most worried about, and spent hours collectively panicking, going over every little detail, and trying to figure out what was relevant. There was a lot of repetition in this class, so we had to sort through that as well. Anyway, after all this agony we went through... EASIEST EXAM I'VE EVER WRITTEN!! I was so mad :lol: All that prep for nothing. Then again, I haven't seen my mark yet :lol:

[/rant]

Just one more to go for me!

5. _Hush_

_Hush_ Winchester Inc.

^ Glad you did good :D
    (Mine start May 28th, woopie :shifty:)
    Hey, no contradicting eachother! Not fair :p But I'm gonna go with the American on this one (no offence, Meg ;))

Unless this is one of those we, Americans say it this way, but we Brits say it the other way, again :shifty:

Thanks anyway! :)

6. Dragonfly

aaaaaaaaannnnnd..... I'm done!!!!!! Whoo hoo! Well, I'm done for two weeks anyway, before I start summer courses. As nice as it is not to have to think about school for a while, I give myself the rest of today and most of tomorrow before I'm bored out of my mind :lol: At least next week at work they've given me more hours next week so I'll have something to do.

7. Stepherweps

Stepherweps The Resident Gleek Premium Member

Well, I'm in my final year of school, well really it's my final 2 and a half weeks of school... Gosh, that's so scary. I finish school forever on the 7th May, then only have to go in to take my exams, which finish on June 5th. I'm taking geography, history and religious studies, and providing I get the grades (I need a minimum of an A and 2 B's) I'll be going on to study Modern History at Queen's University (Belfast, Northern Ireland) in September. :D

8. Dragonfly

Wow Steph! Congrats and Good luck! But just one question. Can you please explain Modern History? Is that like recent history (as opposed to ancient history)? It just sounds like an oxymoron to me :lol:

9. _Hush_

_Hush_ Winchester Inc.

^Damn, you're lucky! :D
    Already finished with exams! Missa wants too. :shifty:

Modern history, I think, is the period after the Age of Enlightenment (18th century) until now. Unless it's different in Ireland :lol:

I'm starting exams May 28th, until June 10th. But today I had a presentation (British-American lexical differences) that I had to bring in front of 300 students. I was nervous as hell :lol:
    But apparently, according to my professor, I'm better at giving presentations in English than in Dutch. So that was a compliment for my English, but not so much for my Dutch, I guess :p

10. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

Lucky you Meg! :p

I only have one real exam to take next week....darn math! Then a 5 page portfoilo paper, a 20 page research paper for Dickens, various Art projects, and a presentation for my Metals 1 class.

I'm glad there are only 2 weeks left in the semester otherwise I'd be pulling my hair out.

11. SpeedyMeg25

SpeedyMeg25 Coroner

Glad you're out of classes Meg, and good luck with your finals Steph!
    Also, glad to see you made it through your presentation Hush. :lol:

I have two more weeks of classes left, and then a week of finals.
    I can't wait. I'm so sick of coming home and writing papers everyday. (I still have six more to write).
    Then I'm done with school until mid-August because my scholarship won't pay for summer classes. :)

12. Stepherweps

Stepherweps The Resident Gleek Premium Member

Well Meg, as weird as this sounds, when I think of modern history, I would have thought of the period in which Lawrence is talking about, however in Queen's they classify modern history as Post 5th century, right up to the fall of the Berlin Wall, so pretty much it's from the downfall of the Roman Empire to the fall of Communism in the western world, I believe it ends in 1991...

13. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

Like steph im just about to take my exams for the end of the year, but im in my fist year of college so im a year behind steph. Time is relaly ticking past fast and im getting sick of studying all day and then when I get home, really need to plan revison soon.

Ive got to US girls on exchange in my college and they said they are glad they dont have to do the exams as they are apparently a lot harder in comparison to theirs at home. Its been fun having then for about 5months, they have 1month left beofre they go home and I think it'll be wier without them :lol:

14. shazza_018

shazza_018 A Daily Anthem Moderator

*bumps thread up*

So the school term started last week for me but last week was so lazy and boring I don't wanna talk about it. I do like my new subjects tho. I'm doing Sociology A level (the whole thing in a year) and Citizenship AS. So far they're both very interesting subject. I look forward to the rest of the term. I have 3 exams in total for these in January so these shouldn't be too difficult but I am thinking for resitting a couple of my Religious Studies exams because my grade was low on that but I'm not really very sure if I take it in January or not, since it might only be a June Only exam. Hopefully I'll feel less tired after Sunday when the Fasting is over. And hopefully I can catch up on some sleep cause I feel totally exhausted. Also I doing my UCAS thing, and my personal statement which isn't going too well but I'm nearly finished with a first draft. I've been told that I need to get mine in as early as possible since my course is quiet competitive. How's everyone else doing with school/college/university? Enjoy your new subjects/courses? Please share your experiences too.

15. heartcore

heartcore Prime Suspect

guys, what do i have to do when i want to study in the US? i'm from germany, my english is not that bad (i guess, lol) and its really what i want to do in my future life...
    any help?
    like, what tests do i have to take? and how do i apply?