The Student Thread

^ i imagine there are student visas available but i don't know how you'd go about getting one - i would suggest talking to the unis you're interested in and getting the info from them. i would be pretty surprised if they also didn't have something on their websites about how to apply from abroad, including info on visas and where to go. obviously it's different but i'm hoping to study in france after my degree and french unis definitely have this info on their websites, as do british ones.

Modern history, I think, is the period after the Age of Enlightenment (18th century) until now. Unless it's different in Ireland :lol:

not the dreaded early modern period which no one, however well qualified, can quite agree on in terms of dates!?:guffaw::guffaw:

i'm about to start 2nd year of french & linguistics. at least i think i am - i was ill during exams and had to submit a final assignment late and i haven't been told a mark yet. i got pretty much straight firsts all year so i'll be very surprised if they don't pass me to next year but you never know!

so yes, 2nd year french and lings - this year there is one compulsory lings module and one "not compulsory but you have to do it" module (!?) - plus i have to do my french language course. i only have 3 modules a year which is quite nice - officially i'm a part time student, my college does almost exclusively part time, mature students, and are very very accommodating because most students have jobs, kids, lives etc and most haven't studied for at least 10 years, but you still get a full university of london degree, so it's pretty good.

i did my last degree there (finished in 2008) which was in politics, philosophy & history. i really only wanted to do pols and phil but this particular uni only do those with history attached (much like oxford does PPE) - anyway, by about mid 2nd year i'd realised that i didn't like phil anymore, and thought pols was ok but was utterly into the history. strange how things work out - my last two years i really focussed on the history and did my dissertation in history (although some politics were involved too) - it was on how romantic fiction aimed at women in the first world war implicitly supported the government recruitment campaigns to encourage men to be cannon fodder. although that wasn't quite how i worded it! history is a pet subject for me, i adore it. i don't do traditional history much, i'm not that interested in rulers and battles and stuff, i'm more of a social historian and could even classify myself as a marxist historian (you don't need to be a marxist to be a marxist historian, it's just a term, although i'm probably not far off a marxist in at least some areas). so basically i love periods where a lot of social change happened - my "babies" are medieval european history (especially the 9th - 12th centuries) and the "long 19th century" which runs from around 1780 to 1918, and covers the industrial revolution and all the attendant upheaval, and, of course, the first world war which is something i'm very into. i would say i was passionate about it but i don't think it's possible (or right) to be passionate about war!

i like my french & linguistics degree - i've always loved france and french as a language, i'm reasonably good at it, and french history and politics fascinate me too - all that revolution and republicanism (with a small "r"!) - right up my street! i enjoy linguistics too - i've always been a bit of a dictionary geek, i'm fascinated by how languages evolve and change and merge. also i'm something of a grammar fascist so it's interesting from that point of view too (and it's slowly converting me). the first two years of lings is pretty dry, a lot of technical stuff, theory and so on, but we've done some sociolinguistics (which, obviously, relates to history and a bit of politics and philosophy too) and i *loved* that, sociolinguistics is definitely going to be my pet area, i think.

hopefully i want to go to france after this degree and do a masters in something to do with history, but in french - ideally something to do with language and history.

hmm that was quite a waffle...

^I'm a linguistics student too! :D

I took English and German. French is my mothertongue, so I wanted a challenge. I'm about to start my second year (and a few subjects already from my third year). I also love linguistics in se. I like the philosophic part of it, how language evolves etc.

Next year, there's a course called Classical Tradition, which I would love to follow. It's mostly retorics, poetics and sooooo up my alley :D

Well I'm a freshman in college this year. Only taking my basics this year, which are really easy so far know all my Chem stuff and my online Math class is really easy to :p. My planned major is Forensics ;), and boy it is a big adjustment being 4 hours away from home. I'm all the way in South Dakota and my family is in Iowa. :(

Well, I start university on Monday, and if I'm being honest, I'm totally petrified about it... I'm going to be studying Modern History as my major, in first year we also have to take a minor, I'm taking theology... I'm hoping to study a module on the black death, and one on how the great depression affected life in America, as well as in the 2 introductory modules which I have to take, for my theology minor, I'm hoping to take a module in Early Church History and one on the New Testament. Hehe, well that's my plan, I'll let you know on Monday if it works out that way. ;)

I graduated Humber College in Toronto in June 2009, in Travel & Tourism Managment.

Currently looking for a job in the field, which isn't easy at all...

On the brightside : I waited a long time to graduate First, From elementary school, then middle school, highschool and now College -Boy that feels Good.

I'm free from prison they call school! *cough* I mean, ahem, a wonderful learning enviroment *evil grin*

Last edited:
^I'm a linguistics student too! :D

I took English and German. French is my mothertongue, so I wanted a challenge. I'm about to start my second year (and a few subjects already from my third year). I also love linguistics in se. I like the philosophic part of it, how language evolves etc.

Next year, there's a course called Classical Tradition, which I would love to follow. It's mostly retorics, poetics and sooooo up my alley :D

that sounds great, although the philosophy bit would drive me nuts. i thought i'd love philosophy at uni as i like reading it (and in my teens/early 20s it was about all i ever read: nietzsche, marx, kierkegaard, foucault, mill, hobbes, locke etc - actually i still adore nietzsche, marx, foucault, locke and mill) but i hated studying it. in the first year they said "there are no right answers in philosophy" and i thought that was really cool but by 2nd year i just wanted to know what the damn answers were, i was sick of going round in circles! rhetoric is great tho (and extremely useful!), will you be doing gorgias by plato?

i did french & german a level - i love both languages and very nearly chose german for my degree. i kind of wish i had in that i love german but then i love french too so i'm glad to be doing french. i love both!

Well, I start university on Monday, and if I'm being honest, I'm totally petrified about it... I'm going to be studying Modern History as my major, in first year we also have to take a minor, I'm taking theology... I'm hoping to study a module on the black death, and one on how the great depression affected life in America, as well as in the 2 introductory modules which I have to take, for my theology minor, I'm hoping to take a module in Early Church History and one on the New Testament. Hehe, well that's my plan, I'll let you know on Monday if it works out that way. ;)

omfg that sounds incredible! i'm actually quite jealous! the black death is a great bit of history - i believe it started in sicily (well, i mean in europe, it travelled from the far east via the byzantine empire and turkey i think). i never really studied the depression, or much american history at all, which i kind of regret but my course was so bloomin' broad that there just wasn't room for everything. we did it in a vague sense in relation to other things but not properly.

i love church/religious history - i'm the biggest atheist this side of richard dawkins and i actually physically hate religion, but i love learning about the history of it. i guess because i'm a social historian and it had such a massive impact on history for so long (and arguably still does). also i'm always fascinated by forms of social control, be it dictatorships, mass media or whatever and from my point of view religion *definitely* falls into that category, in fact it is the ultimate form of social control, the ultimate manipulator of social dissent and the ultimate method of keeping the people down/docile - as marx said "religion is the opiate of the people". i did a module on medieval society and my favourite part was about the ecclesiastical reform of the 9th-1tth centuries, it was pretty cool stuff, i loved it. i shocked everyone by writing an essay on cluniac ecclesiastics and getting really into it!

as for being terrified - don't be, it'll be a bit odd at first i guess but i'm sure you'll love uni. which are you going to? one bit of advice: don't skip too many lectures in favour of nights down the union bar - you will need those lectures at some point!

Last edited:
So I'm a high school student in Canada. I'm currently in grade 11 and I want to go into a drama program in University. I really, really want to be an actress. I'm hoping to go to University in Toronto, Vancouver or New York. I'm actually planning to major in Drama and minor in an English program.

Well, right now in this semester at school, I'm peer tutoring a grade 9 drama class first period, which can be frustrating because the kids in the class don't want to participate at ALL. Then I have anthropology second period which is really anthropology, sociology and psychology. It's pretty fun. Then I have leadership, which is really awesome. It's hard to explain how it works though. And last, I have French, which I'm going to take all four years in high school because if I end up having a job where I have to be bilingual, I will know both my country's languages :D

heartcore - good luck! TEFL is a great thing, i hope you do ok :)

yeah, i'm kinda afraid i will totally fail, lol :(
i know (and i've heard from some persons) that my english isnt that bad at all...but i'm really THAT nervous already :eek:
and it costs pretty much as well...

I'm free from prison they call school! *cough* I mean, ahem, a wonderful learning enviroment *evil grin*

im the opposite, i dont want to leave school! :lol: right now i am quite content in the student life (i am in veterinary school) and cannot yet imagine actually being out in the "real world" being a working vet and running a practice. i also dont want to do the weeks worth of licensing test :lol: but that is still 2 and a half years away...

i probably will get tired of being in school, but i do want to specialize. which granted is more hands on stuff and not lectures and test. but that could be another 4 years or so, i would be 30 before getting out of school!! i think 24 years straight of school may be a little much...

i loved school as a kid but at 11 i started getting my first severe depressions so i was sent to boarding school at 14 (because, quite naturally i guess, my parents thought my current school might be why i was depressed - it wasn't!). believe me, being full blown bipolar in a tiny boarding school in the middle of nowhere is about as close to hell as it's possible to get, so i hated it, i couldn't wait to leave. it's the reason i didn't go to uni after school - for a start i was too damn ill anyway, but also the added pressure from my school and the fact that i was totally disillusioned with education didn't help.

i started at my uni at 27 and i'm now doing my 2nd degree and i love it, but there's no way i could've coped with it while i was ill. actually i did go to uni at 25, i only lasted 2 terms because i was too ill to handle it. it's only now i'm better that i'm enjoying education again.

Ah, this is the autumn when I shall start my Master thesis. I have to :p Done with languages so I took Spanish :p Almost done with stupid SPSS course and only few compulsory courses left.

I thought I take Public Law as my...4th minor but read one book and it was confusing so I thought I continue with Administartio to little longer.

guuuuuuuuys, i need your help!
does anyone of you have a kinda of pattern for an application form online somewhere?
like...dunno, where a whole text is written...?
or would anyone of you send me a written application? i really dont want to make any mistakes, but i have noooo clue how to write it and which words to use...:(

Ok well the last week Ive been filling out my UCAS form, for those in the US and other countries its basiscally the place to apply for university. I managed to finished my personaly statement and are 3 characters away from the max :lol: Luckily though the course I want to do is pretty limited inwhat unis I can choose from. Theres about 6/7 max I think so choosesing 5 was pretty easy, good thing I dont have an urge to go somewhere specific. Now I just have to work extra hard in my A2 level, which involves retaking most of last years exams, thats not the fun part :lol:

Im really looking forward to going to uni and experiencing it, hopefully I pass this year though first :lol:

Back