The 30 and Over Club

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by CSI_Kat, Aug 21, 2008.

1. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

And I keep feeling dumber and dumber... :lol:

Ah, I hate math, so I blame my lack of number interest on my inability to do that stupid thing! :p

2. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

I think I may have tried the Rubix Cube once or twice but there was and is no way I can finish that. I don't have the patience. And like Lisa said 'there was a book' :confused:

3. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

I could never solve the cube, but there was one toy I solved in about five minutes:

The Orb

It had beads of different colors and you twist the halves of the sphere around to get all the same color on each line.

4. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

I did the compilation with TV theme songs. Still have the tape! And I can still identify all but a couple of the themes, too. :alienblush:

I took it apart! :D

Also had Rubik's Magic and Pyraminx which were real easy to solve. (Was looking for Pyraminx for the kids but can't find them any more. :()

Susan

5. BabaOReilly

Holy, I have no recall of "The Orb". I do recall something called Merlin though, suddenly- and totally unrelated! Hah, sorry.
    And Lite Brite. :)

Random, I know.

6. Dynamo1

And then there was Simon. Follow the sequence of flashing lights and beeps.

Green
    Green red
    Green red red
    Green red red yellow
    green red red yellow green
    Aaaaaaarrrrrgggghhhh!

7. BabaOReilly

Oh man, that's what I thought Merlin did. Now I have no idea what that game was about. I think I'll just sob in the corner with my old, trusty Speak N' Spell. :lol:

8. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

i think the original was called simon (ie like simon says, you copy it) but there were numerous spin offs. i have a simon on my iphone, it's cool :) now all i need is a cpc464 emulator and i'll actually be 10 again. i can play wii as long as i want but mario only takes me to my teens.

9. BabaOReilly

I sprained my thumb once playing Super Mario with my older brother once- we played for about 6 hours straight and every re-set, we fought over who got to be Mario and who had to be Luigi. The best part is, I was about 22 at the time, and my brother was 30! :lol: It was our nephew's game, and we stayed up until about 3am playing! :lol:

The funny thing is, that was a pretty high falootin game after having played "Pong" or "Army Tanks" on Commodore 64. Or was is Coleco vision? I can never keep those straight.

10. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

do you mean the handheld mario bros? wow that really is going back a while! my bro and i used to play those in the car on the way to france (2-3 days in a row of 8 hour drives) - super mario bros and donkey kong were best, and snoopy tennis.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i still love mario games - but the wii version of mario kart is really hard, it's hard to keep on track with a fluid controller. my brothers long ago graduated to "proper" games where you get to shoot aliens/germans in real life war situations etc - i hate those games, if i play a game i want it to be fun and silly and cartoony, not warlike.

i never had a commodore, one of my mates did. back then it was those or amigas or zx spectrums, or what i had which was the amstrad cpc464 - i got it for my 10th birthday just after it was released and i think everyone thought it was the coolest thing on the planet (because it had the tape deck in the keyboard!!). god, we were deluded back then!

this was it (click to make bigger):

[​IMG]

11. Dynamo1

I just read the following news item: Comcast has added Retirement Living TV (RLTV) to its programming lineup in Portland, Ore. RLTV airs a variety of content aimed at adults 50 and up.

Good grief. Us geezers have our own channel now.

12. Jacquie

Well it's about time is all I can say. The kids have theirs so why shouldn't 'us geezers' have our own :)

13. BabaOReilly

I wonder what the programming will be like... I hope it's not stuff like "My Mother the Car". :lol:

(Not that I've ever actually seen that)

14. Dynamo1

Probably sponsored by Geritol, Depends, and Denture Grip. And I did see My Mother the Car when It first aired, though I haven't seen it since. Liked Jerry Van Dyke in more recent years on Coach.

15. Jacquie

Ah yes I do remember My Mother the Car :lol:

Lets see I would hope that the channel has some of the classics-Dragnet, The Munsters, The Addams Family and lets not forget Gilligan's Island :lol: For some classic comedy sketch shows how about Ed Sullivan, Sonny and Cher and lets not forget Rowan and Martin's Laugh In