What Books Are You Reading?-#3

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jacquie, Jun 5, 2009.

1. meggzie

meggzie Police Officer

Re: What Are You Reading?-#3

I'm reading handle with care by Jodi picoult such a good book:)

2. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

OK, it's been a while since I read a "horror" novel- used to like Stephen King and Peter Straub and that ilk- but I was lured into reading "The Strain" by Guillermo Del Toro (Directed Hellboy Movies and Pan's Labyrinth) and Chuck Hogan. And let me tell you, I couldn't put it down! Basically, New York city becomes the initial warground of an ancient vampire who decides to spread his 'strain' of vampirism in the New World. And then there's the band of folks who figure stuff out sooner than most and start trying to fight him- the CDC doctor and his assistant, the old man who first saw this ancient creature in a concentration camp when he was just a young man, the rat exterminator... and so on. Yeah, maybe it's not an unfamiliar format, but still- it's just a really riveting read and I'd totally recommend it to anyone who likes the genre.

The downside: #1- it's only in hardcover at this point so it's not cheap (although I got it for 30% off at Chapters)

and #2- it's part one of a trilogy, so now I have to wait for the next two books! D'oh! :eek:

:)

3. luf100

luf100 Coroner

I'm reading one of those Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul book because I have nothing else here. It's the third one. I like the stories in it but I'm not big into reading books of a bunch of small stories. I wish I had a normal book to read. :lol:

I think I'm getting a Nicholas Sparks one in the mail soon though.

4. Roka4csi

Roka4csi Coroner

I'm reading Eat Smart, Walk Strong. by Leslie Sansone
    I sometimes can't believe people make books out of such obvious information, I bought it thinking I'd learn more about how beneficial walking is for the body, but there was nothing on there that wasn't obvious. Plus it focused only on women's bodies ;(
    But for anyone who's interested in increasing their strength through dieting and walking, this book has the easiest diet plans and the easiest exercise you could ever think of - walking! I suggest it if you don't mind being told things you already know :lol:

5. Stepherweps

Stepherweps The Resident Gleek Premium Member

I'm actually re-reading Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. I read it a couple of years ago, and loved it, now after seeing the movie, I thought it was time to re-read it. Loving it as much the second time as I did the first.

Angels and Demons tells the story of Harvard Symbologist Robert Langdon, on his quest to save the Vatican from their dreaded enemy the Illuminati, who have stolen a canister of anti matter and are trying to blow up the Vatican during the selection of the new pope. It's a fantastic story, a must for all fans of thrillers. :D

6. luf100

luf100 Coroner

I finished that Chicken Soup for the Teenaged Soul III book so now I'm re-reading Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince since I just saw the movie. I'm like 3 chapters in and I'm already shocked at how much they left out of the movie. I didn't remember that much before. :lol:

7. luvspeed

luvspeed Police Officer

the new book i'm reading is Doctor Who:The Eyeless by Lance Parkin. so far it been an awesome read!

8. Axelsonfire

Axelsonfire Pathologist

I've actually only read one of Jodi Picoult's books but I enjoyed it a lot. It was called Nineteen Minutes and it's actually about a school shooting. However, I really liked how she went back and forth in time and as well, how she switched the POV between the characters (While in third person mind you. If it had been first person, that may have bugged me.)

Currently, I'm not reading anything....but I just re-read (for about the bazillionth time) The Library Card by Jerry Spinelli. It's more of a pre-teen and younger book, but I love it anyway. Anyway, it's like 4 different short stories about these kids who discover a library card. My personal favourite is the third story about Sonseray.

9. lal

lal Pathologist

Hi i'm currently reading two books at the moment , the first one is CSI Miami : Harm For The Holidays : Misgivings, which i think is very good so far .
    and the second book is called A Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill , it is a horror , and it is one of those book , that if you start reading it you can't put it down .

10. Shytownmofo

Shytownmofo Lab Technician

Currently reading Let the Right One In, by John Ajvide Lindqvist. It's a Swedish vampire novel. It's about a bullied 12 year old boy who befriends a vampire girl that moves into his building in suburban Stockholm, in 1981-82.

Very interesting, as the book was made into a movie, in Swedish, and they're making an American verson of it that's supposed to come out later this year or early next year.

11. addictedtoSpeed

addictedtoSpeed Judge

I'm reading the same as lal: CSI Miami : Harm For The Holidays : Misgivings. I have read all the Miami books but this one and the second part of this one. I'm hoping for more to come but I don't think they are doing anymore.

12. meggzie

meggzie Police Officer

I have been looking for that book :) i really like jodi picoult books only discovered them bout 2 months ago and already on my fourth
    i like the way she switches between characters it makes it less boring and you get a better understanding of the story

13. SpeedyMeg25

SpeedyMeg25 Coroner

I am reading "The Top 60 Since 1967" by Ken Campbell and Adam Proteau. Imagine that, it's about hockey. ;)
    A group of panelists got together and voted on who they thought were the best players since the League expanded in the 60s. It's been interesting to see who they picked, where they ranked, and why. Can't beat it for only being $1.

14. Axelsonfire

Axelsonfire Pathologist

SpeedyMeg, sounds like an awesome book.

I just got the book Julie & Julia by Julie Powell today and I plan to read it. My sister and I went to see the movie today and loved it. Then we walked over to chapters and lo and behold the book was there, along with Julia Child's book My Life In Paris. The movie was based off of the two and I had a hard time choosing which one I wanted, but I settled for Julie's book. I should be good.

Basically, she wrote the book based on her blogging experience where in one year she wanted to make everything in Julia Child's cookbook. She blogged her progress and gained quite a following.

15. SpeedyMeg25

SpeedyMeg25 Coroner

I'm reading "What the Birds See" by Sonya Hartnett. It's kind of hard to expain so, I'll just copy what was on the cover ;)

"The Metfords have not been lost or abandoned - they have been made to disappear. They have not run away - they have been lifted up and carried. They've been taken somewhere as distant as Jupiter. Adrian has never thought that an ordinary child, a kid like himself or Clinton or that freckle-nosed girl, might be of interest to anyone excepting family or friends, that an ordinary child could be worth taking or wanting, a desirable thing.

The year is 1977, and Adrian is nine. He lives with his gran and uncle Rory. His best friend is Clinton Tull. Adrian loves to draw, and he wants a dog. He's afraid of quicksand, shopping centers, and self-combustion. As closely as he watches his suburban world, there is much he cannot understand. He does not, for instance, know why three neighborhood children might set out to buy ice cream one day and never come home..."

It's an...um, interesting book so far. A little hard to follow at first until you start to understand the author's style, but it's not bad.